• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shengar

One Piece 850

Time to bust this throwback out again

EHQ9vpE.jpg

Need this to be updated with MHA author.

TheFlow

Banned
I wasn't trying to imply BotR was a fighting manga, it just happened to have the best drawn moment of kickboxing I think I've ever seen. Still, adding Worst to the "To-read" list. I like the premise already and could use some more good punches in my life.

lol nooo I am not saying that. I am just saying how great Worst and Crows are.

the best fighter in both series uses kicks to defeat everyone. so good.

One Piece 850

Oh, thats why Luffy is so enraged. Well Sanji is going to be even more pissed.

Demon's Plan 5

nah im done, this sucks

Boruto 8

Did they combine Kyubei with the Susano'o? That's...actually a good idea. Why didn't you do that against Kaguya?

Isn't demon's plan on the road to cancellation. with so many manga in the marketplace why keep reading something destined for ending early?

Haikyuu!! 235
C0TqfxFXAAAASF2.jpg:large

I just need to hear this moment animated. Will be funny.

Kags was pretty epic this chapter especially his half page spread. Though I have to wonder what will happen if he somehow ends up injure.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
One Piece ch. 850

Sanji racking up another L? Well, never in my wildest dreams.

Oda was obviously teasing this super hard but damn, he really went all in with her being crazy.

I'm starting to feel like I can get a basic understanding of people based on how they view Keijo.

I think it's one of the manga/anime that you can point to as an example of fan-service done right or not meant to titillate; and that people don't "get" it, say they "get" it and then say something that is wrong that contains no real backing evidence other than "it has boobs"

I'm not saying it's high fucking art or a metanarrative takedown of the problems with a fan-service-laden industry in a post-modern capitalist society, I'm just saying that what it's doing is funny and not giving kids boners. It is what it is; silly and dumb and funny.

This is one of those things where every time I watch a video or read a season round up, or a criticism of fan-service, I'll nod my head along to someone's points or ideas and then they'll bring up Keijo and I'll just get this incredible urge to write a 10 page, citated thesis on why their claims are inaccurate. When people bemoan the state of anime or talk about fan-service in shows and putting it alongside Kill la Kill or Flip Flappers or claim it's a shit season and point out Keijo as an example, I don't think they could really be more wrong if they tried.

RainForce

Banned
Hero Academia 120

I think I'm putting this on hold. This was the perfect opportunity for Deku to win against Bakugou and the guy to get at least a bit humbled, but it was squandered. Now the fuckhead continues to be a fuckhead with All Might's blessing in his "we need both good level-headed people and bullying pieces of shit as heroes!" speech.

Don't know what the hell the Japanese fanbase sees in the guy, but if that's going to influence the story in any way, I'm done.

cntr

Banned
I learned from this week's MHA that a shounen manga can be more mature and long-sighted than a lot of its readers

it's weird and kind of funny.

Zweizer

Banned
I'm starting to feel like I can get a basic understanding of people based on how they view Keijo.

I think it's one of the manga/anime that you can point to as an example of fan-service done right or not meant to titillate; and that people don't "get" it, say they "get" it and then say something that is wrong that contains no real backing evidence other than "it has boobs"

I'm not saying it's high fucking art or a metanarrative takedown of the problems with a fan-service-laden industry in a post-modern capitalist society, I'm just saying that what it's doing is funny and not giving kids boners. It is what it is; silly and dumb and funny.

This is one of those things where every time I watch a video or read a season round up, or a criticism of fan-service, I'll nod my head along to someone's points or ideas and then they'll bring up Keijo and I'll just get this incredible urge to write a 10 page, citated thesis on why their claims are inaccurate. When people bemoan the state of anime or talk about fan-service in shows and putting it alongside Kill la Kill or Flip Flappers or claim it's a shit season and point out Keijo as an example, I don't think they could really be more wrong if they tried.

I'm so proud of you Oni~

PK Gaming

Hero Academia 120

I think I'm putting this on hold. This was the perfect opportunity for Deku to win against Bakugou and the guy to get at least a bit humbled, but it was squandered. Now the fuckhead continues to be a fuckhead with All Might's blessing in his "we need both good level-headed people and bullying pieces of shit as heroes!" speech.

Don't know what the hell the Japanese fanbase sees in the guy, but if that's going to influence the story in any way, I'm done.

It's good that he lost.

You don't just win matches against top fighters just because "you want to."

Maybe in your dime a dozen basic shonen, but not MHA. It's going to be a long process for Deku, and Bakugou too.

It's good that he lost.

Maybe in your dime a dozen basic shonen, but not MHA. It's going to be a long process for Deku, and Bakugou too.

Except it was shonen logic that allowed Bakugou to take that punch without being knocked out

RainForce

Banned
It's good that he lost.

The gap between Deku and Bakugou wasn't portrayed as THAT big since the stuff following the tournament. The guy is not a top fighter by any means.

TheFlow

Banned
I learned from this week's MHA that a shounen manga can be more mature and long-sighted than a lot of its readers

it's weird and kind of funny.

this is not needed. and MHA is targeted for teen males.

Hero Academia 120

If it makes you feel better, Deku has the power to kill any of his classmates with one hit. Baku winning is for the best because I rather read about an confident asshole than a depressed asshole.

cntr

Banned
Except it was shonen logic that allowed Bakugou to take that punch without being knocked out
Tathanen in the MHA thread put it best:

If 5-8% ended it, that puts an absurd low cap on Baku and turns the series into DBZ, where no one can ever match the Saiyans and might as well not even exist. There is an ENORMOUS amount for Deku to still grow, we can't have a punch of that level defeat the main rival.
I'd be really short sighted to make 5% that powerful, no matter how much you wanted Bakugou to be defeated.

PK Gaming

The gap between Deku and Bakugou wasn't portrayed as THAT big since the stuff following the tournament. The guy is not a top fighter by any means.

But Bakugou is absolutely a top fighter, though.

Going by his official stats alone, he is easily among strongest fighters in his age group.

THVaXm4.png

Deku... Deku's not there yet. He's made a ton of progress and he's gotten better at using One For All, but he's nowhere near the point where he can fully take someone like Bakugou in a fight without it being contrived.

And shonen logic? He only got hit by a punch that had 8% of One For All flowing through him. Compare that to when he knocked out Muscular by using his power at 100% and you can see that the difference in power is monumental.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Like I really like MHA but it's just as shonnen as anything else really. It's good but not the amazing, complicated critique of Shonen genre as a whole a lot of mangagaf thinks it is. Let's not kid ourselves, this ain't no Citizen Kane of mangas. That will always go to Bleach.
I don't actually like Citizen Kane

But Bakugou is absolutely a top fighter, though.

Going by his official stats alone, he is easily among strongest fighters in his age group.

THVaXm4.png

Deku... Deku's not there yet. He's made a ton of progress and he's gotten better at using One For All, but he's nowhere near the point where he can fully take someone like Bakugou in a fight without it being contrived.

And shonen logic? He only got hit by a punch that had 8% of One For All flowing through him. Compare that to when he knocked out Muscular by using his power at 100% and you can see that the difference in power is monumental.
Wasn't the hit that knocked out muscle dude well over 100%, like 1 million percent or some shit like that? I think people also forget that scene proved that 100% isn't actually a cap for One for All

cntr

Banned
Nobody thinks MHA is a critique or deconstruction of shounen, lol. It's just really well-written shounen.

And Bakugou didn't even get hit by 8 percent, he got hit by 5.

Wasn't the hit that knocked out muscle dude well over 100%, like 1 million percent or some shit like that? I think people also forget that scene proved that 100% isn't actually a cap for One for All
The author said it was supposed to be like "hundreeeeeed", not literally a million. He goofed.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Nobody thinks MHA is a critique or deconstruction of shounen, lol. It's just really well-written shounen.

And Bakugou didn't even get hit by 8 percent, he got hit by 5.

The author said it was supposed to be like "hundreeeeeed", not literally a million. He goofed.

If I took a shot for every time you or Veelk mention critique in the MHA thread I think I'd die of alcohol poisoning because I have a very low alcohol threshold combined with a drinking problem. So I'm not going to do that thing I just said.

TheFlow

Banned
I mean we are still exactly where we left off in 2009! A huge effin cliffhanger after a time skip.

holy shit! I had no idea. damn shoujo moves so slow that I kinda waned off it lately.

Like I really like MHA but it's just as shonnen as anything else really. It's good but not the amazing, complicated critique of Shonen genre as a whole a lot of mangagaf thinks it is. Let's not kid ourselves, this ain't no Citizen Kane of mangas. That will always go to Bleach.
I don't actually like Citizen Kane

it is a solid manga, that is fun to talk about due to the concepts and array of characters. I mean it is either this or Black clover atm.. lol

Haikyuu>everything else that isn't OP.

cntr

Banned
If I took a shot for every time you or Veelk mention critique in the MHA thread I think I'd die of alcohol poisoning because I have a very low alcohol threshold combined with a drinking problem. So I'm not going to do that thing I just said.
Well, that's silly. I don't think either of us mean it that way...and I don't remember actually using the word in the thread before.

MHA's just a shounen, but I like shounen. It's a very well-written shounen, so I really like MHA. It's not more complicated than that.

TheFlow

Banned
Well, that's silly. I don't think either of us mean it that way...and I don't remember actually using the word in the thread before.

MHA's just a shounen, but I like shounen. It's a very well-written shounen, so I really like MHA. It's not more complicated than that.

yea MHA doesn't have any ass grabs, deux ex machinas, or badly written characters atm.

hell it doesn't even have huge power ups atm.

Demon's Plan
This is aggressively mediocre. It's like the author sought to make the most generic trope filled series he could, and the pacing is way too quick. It reminds me of Red Sprite where there was so little substance to anything you'd move from scene to scene at a blistering pace. Definitely getting cancelled

shokugeki no soma 196

Well, I guess we see why Azami comes to like Jouichirou. Jouichirou also looks like he's not having fun cooking anymore with that last match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom