• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

Italian variant cover for Prison School 1 drawn by Mirka Andolfo:
2vMb.jpg

3vMb.jpg

They're gonna release the variant toward the end of the month. It's a bit weird to release a variant for the first volume so far after they released the first 11 volumes already but hey, I'll take it.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Sanctuary - fin.

You know, it's aight. The political side in the latter half, with Isami and Isaoka going to war over votes, was my favorite stretch in this story. Isaoka was a real crafty old fox, a good love-to-hate antagonist. The yakuza side was fine enough throughout, some entertaining twists and turns admittedly, but with Hojo powering through his obstacles, my interest did wane at times. General treatment of women was utterly embarrassing too.

Ending was strong, can't lie.

With Sanctuary and Fourteen done, I'm two for three on the New Year's backlog thing now. Won't get to Please Save My Earth just yet.

I think I should start reading this.

Yes! It's funny.

They're gonna release the variant toward the end of the month. It's a bit weird to release a variant for the first volume so far after they released the first 11 volumes already but hey, I'll take it.

Not really feeling the VP, but i think the artist did a really good job with the boys.

Zweizer

Banned

Are remade covers a thing in Italy?

Love Kiyoshi and Gakuto's expressions at least.

rrvv

Tomo-chan 290
lol

Jun trying to be dependable, I salute you.
lol troll translations

It's late april fool. They change the second panel, Originally is "Oh, tomorrow we have midterm exams. Did you study?"

Revo

Kingdom 466-469

If Kisui had been a big chump after all the pagetime he has gotten I would have been disappointed.
Time for the hi shin unit to make its mark.

Arabesque

ReLife Vol. 1-5

I hadn't been talking much about the manga selection from Crunchyroll, in part because I still need to finish watching Phoenix per dramatis' recommendation before talking about the last Orange chapter, but also because Crunchyroll had been doing a piss poor job of advertising and managing their Manga section of their site.

Last December Crunchyroll had announced that they would be be partnering with comico and adding some of their digital manga. ReLife was part of the first line up, and they had been adding a volume every 2 weeks, concluding with the latest released volume (5) this month.

Re-reading the series in volume form had been interesting, because the difference between how it's presented as a typical manga made for smoother reading I felt. The layout on the comico app and fan translations has its perks in giving certain moments better emphasis and impact, since a single panel can be the sole focus at a time, but having everything rearranged to fit a single page works much better in following the story along overall. Chapters 75 and 76 in particular were cases where I felt the typical manga layout made for a better reading experience.

I don't know what CR will do from now on, given that the next volume won't be out for months in July-August, so maybe they will be adding bulks of chapters at random times from the comico app? That might be a problem given the difference between the volume and the app chapters layout, but might be the only thing they can do. Unless they do wait until July, but at that point why bother adding the manga? Maybe if they pick up the upcoming anime during Summer that would make them figure out what to do if interest picks up. We'll see what happens (or doesn't).

In terms of story, I was reminded by how much I loved the Kariu section for the story. It always felt like it was the part where it was most personal for the mangaka, and had been pretty fascinating in seeing how she grew over the series. Her going through the frustration of never being able to best Hishiro and Honoka, learning to be friends with them and being able to forgive them was inspiring, and the moment where Arata gives her advice and tries to help her out figure what is the right thing to do, even if it is the hardest thing emotionally, is what made me like the series so much. She's my favourite character by far in the series, which is funny given that she's so incidental and far removed from the fantastical element of the manga.

I also really appreciate how much hints and foreshadowing there had been early on, with the misdirection in chapters
74, 75 and 76
being well done. In particular, how An acted at first, but also Hishiro refusing to even consider that she fell in love with
Arata
early on.

The extra chapters from volumes going into what An and
Ryo's preparations for supporting Arata before the school term start
were really great as well. The story trying to justify why Inukai is a POS was lol worthy though. Dude is an asshole, there is no need to justify him being so because in 1st grade some kid accused him of something he didn't do.

In regards to Arata himself, I forgot how long it took until we figured out what exactly made him a NEET. There were a lot of hints, but the revelation was ever as unpleasant as I remembered it. Next volume is when we really start to delve into his past, but watching him progress into caring about others and not being so negative is good so far.

The best thing to come out of reading these 5 volumes is that I'm even more excited for the ReLife anime now. The PV and the small preview for the designs at the end of the volume already look promising (I very much prefer how they look in the anime than in the manga) and hope that it turns out to be a good adaptation.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Rin 1-5

Is the love plot in Rin any better than in Beck?
It seems like it will be a bigger focus than it was in Beck, and Beck romance plot was downright awful.
I haven't read Beck, but I didn't think the romance was super bad in Rin. There's only one chapter about it that stands out to me as bad, and the love triangle is kind of dumb in general, but overall I think it was handled decently. It also has a really great payoff in the latest chapters.

Zweizer

Banned
Koi wa Ameagari no You ni ch1-11 by Mayuzuki Jun

Tachibana is your typical beautiful and smart yet aloof high school student, who works part-time at a family restaurant, for the simple reason that she's fallen in love with the manager there, a 45-year old bumbling man. Where will her quest for his love lead her?

I'll be honest: I'm not very fond of romances between people with a noticeable age gap, and it's no different here. On the other hand, the manga acknowledges how strange of a crush the heroine has, and all the hurdles such a love may face, and ultimately, love is rarely rational. That part aside, the characters are decently likeable, Tachibana in particular with how earnestness, and the art is pretty pleasant to look at, old-school and expressive.

A decent romance that I'm curious to see how it'll develop.

Tokyo Ghoul re: 71
Pretty electrifying stuff. Next chapter is full hype!

Kingdom - 469
Another last minute save! Glad to have her finally back!

the latest katsura Airi story is making waves through the Netorare Underworld by breaking some new ground.

is it NTR if an alternate version of yourself from a parallel universe bangs your girlfriend?

Lain

the latest kazuku Airi story is making waves through the Netorare Underworld by breaking some new ground.

is it NTR if an alternate version of yourself from a parallel universe bangs your girlfriend?

I'd go with yeah.
Also title?

Bradherley's Coach

Well drawn depressing read. The more I read the more I felt like shit. Thumbs up to the father that died to save his daughter once he saw her in the prison.
Lord Bloodharley should have died from heavy raking in his asshole, not just from a zeppelin dropping on his castle.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Prison School ch. 211

Stop playing with your dick, dude.

Tokyo Ghoul:re ch. 71

Not gonna lie, for a moment there I had no idea what I was supposed to be looking at on the last page. Backstory with Yomo trying to deal with things was well done.

Famassu

Bakuman Volumes. 2-8 (partly)

This was mostly on an upwards trajectory up until about vol. 6 so far, but I haven't really enjoyed vol. 7 & 8 all that much. The romance crap is still awfully weak (it has one of my all-time-most-hated storytelling method of "I can't tell my girl-/boyfriend about this totally innocent thing because I'm so fucking dumb, I'd rather have huge relationship troubles than explain my behaviour/doings"), though there have been a couple of not-totes-horrible romantic moments thrown in there. Generally the only relationship worth even the tiniest damns is Miyoshi & Takagi's
before the dumb stuff in vol. 8
. Though it's doesn't seem to be a hugely passionate a relationship (at least from Takagi's side), at least it feels like it could be somewhere remotely close to a realm of realistic-ish relationships where both (mostly) act like normal human beings instead of horribly tropeish animuuuu crap. Not necessarily a love story for the ages or anything that seems like it would last for 40-50+ years (at least without things changing a lot from how they are now), but still far preferable to the other kind of relationships in this manga.

The good side of the story, the mangaka struggles, were pretty good up until vol 6, but I'm not really finding interest in the main duo
creating a gag manga
other than the friction/drama it initially created between the duo & the editor, and even side characters like Aoki
creating this "minimum of 3 panty shots per chapter" manga
isn't gelling well with me in these past two volumes. Just feels so out of character for her to have any kind of part in shit like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom