• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

From what I could gather, it looks like a virus known as D99 was found in a village many years ago to have healing/regenerative attributes. It was used to help Arashi after his accident by Old Man Masamune. Old Man Masamune destroyed the virus but one of the original goons that found it was pissing about with it secretly elsewhere, as you would. That's how Berserker Sayo came to be. It also looks like the Platinum Lily drug that Kyogi's Posse (creepy goon with all those girls hooked on Platinum Lily) is distributing is actually a derivative of the/is the D99 virus. I think the guy (forgotten his name who was injected with Platinum Lily) from the school kids that were kidnapped to draw out Mikoto, along with the girls Arashi accidentally released when rescuing Big Boobed Officer Suzue, are the ones spreading the D99 virus.

Feel free to correct me if I've ballsed it up. 😉

It's difficult to tell the differnence between the zombies and the creepers from Triage X.

Isekai Houtei 1 - 5

Story about a guy who can't pass the bar exam, who ends up going to another world. But unlike most generic another world stories, where the MC becomes a hero to defeat the demon king or something lame like that, this guy defends people in a court of law.
Its fairly interesting so far, so I'll keep reading it. There's only 12 chapters total so far, and less translated, so I'll be interested in how this goes.

Shouta

I want more Those Who Hunt Elves 2 but it seems like it's going to head towards the ending soon? Unless Yagami does another wonderful accident, lol.

So I caught up with Food Wars (Shokugeki no Soma) and while it's an immensely fun manga, I've been hearing that people don't like the current arc? Honestly, I'm not sure where that's coming from as I've yet to see any significant drops in quality; if anything that it finally gave Erina satisfyingscreentime and development after maybe a hundred chapters makes it a win in my book. Can someone fill me in here?

In any case, Megumi Tadokoro is the most precious girl ever.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Koi to Uso [Current]

So basically we've now distilled the plot down to "people suffering."

So I caught up with Food Wars (Shokugeki no Soma) and while it's an immensely fun manga, I've been hearing that people don't like the current arc? Honestly, I'm not sure where that's coming from as I've yet to see any significant drops in quality; if anything that it finally gave Erina satisfyingscreentime and development after maybe a hundred chapters makes it a win in my book. Can someone fill me in here?

The problem is that Azami is a complete plot tumor. He actively takes away from the part of the plot that is interesting.

Zweizer

Banned
Nejimaki Kagyu ch57.5-58

Dammit Yoh.

img000004qrssn.png

So your usual emulation knockoff, lol.

Murenase! Shiiton Gakuen ch31.5

Meimei isn't on the color page.

SCANDAL

It was kind of a drag from the point the new neo Elite 10 was formed to the random fights before SoKuga happened on the train leading to this new tournament.

It was kind of a drag from the point the new neo Elite 10 was formed to the random fights before SoKuga happened on the train leading to this new tournament.

Yeah, reading weekly sometimes it did feel like it was dragging on.

The current tournament arc and the chapters leading up to it with the training and everything I thought were pretty good.

The problem is that Azami is a complete plot tumor. He actively takes away from the part of the plot that is interesting.

Agree. The author decided he needed a villain for the good guys to fight, and chose poorly.

That doesn't tell me much of anything. Can you go into detail?

I don't particularly recall those parts being too bad. Off the top of my head, the only part that felt "off" was how abruptly most of the Resistance was put down (and Takumi/Megumi passing). You knew some were going down beforehand, but to such an extent so quickly felt a little disappointing.

Admittedly, I'm not that invested in the current match as the three Resistance chefs were never among my favorites (actually, I completely forgot about Megishima by the time he was reintroduced, LOL)

Yume de mita ano ko no tame ni - 1

Story about a high school kid who's parents were murdered when he was little. He seems to be pretty focused on revenge. He's also kind of a shitty person/delinquent. Though at the end of the first chapter it seems like he found the person he was after. Could be interesting, but not too sure what kind of manga this is going to be at this point.

Chase17

*regarding jump rankings*

Wonder if the editors just bumped RxL to the top 5 last week for the good volume sales or something lol, since otherwise it has consistently been right next to HM for a while now.

Soma

Kaguya Wants to Be Confessed to Ch. 45

oh fuck you. no.

you don't get to be a comfy, silly albeit a little repetitive series and drop those last two chapters on me.

fuck off. that's not fair.

shut up

i'm not crying, you're crying.

Kaguya Wants to Be Confessed to Ch. 45

oh fuck you. no.

you don't get to be a comfy, silly albeit a little repetitive series and drop those last two chapters on me.

fuck off. that's not fair.

shut up

i'm not crying, you're crying.

That title drop, so good.

jitsu wa watashi wa 180

Even without Akane, Akari still suffers, lol. Though its interesting how many non human students there are in the school.

Though it looks like Youko has a plan that might work, though I'm sure it will go wrong somehow.

Fairy Tail 543 - 545 END
DFtXKxeUAAEcSEW.jpg:large

Ill be honest, skimmed the chapters after Zeref was defeated and we had the alternate world going on, but did read the concluding moments and this final chapter. Fairy Tail was at its highest pre time skip which seems to be a running theme for everthing Ive read that isnt Owari no Serafu and Naruto. Time skip benefits here were at least Max and a plot involving time magic from Ultear. However, I wish the time skip had reverted them back to the original time, would have been interesting.

Enjoyed the final chapter, especially with Fairy Tail back to the basics. Was dissapointed though that Jellal x Erza wasnt at least made canon, he deserved happiness and it was the only believable ship the series had built up for hundreds of chapters (Levy Gajeel just felt random and thrown in as an after thought at some point and still there is no chemistry between them). Gray still has more expression and action and antics with Natsu making them together more believable than Juvia who just seems to have fallen in love for the guy that saved her.

Reincarnated Zeref was great.

Ill miss Fairy Tail, it was such an awesome read and was definitely one of the first 10 manga I had ever started and I think one of the first I got suggested from this thread so many years ago.

UQ Holder 138
DFtfKUsVwAAiikp.jpg:large

Should have just made the whole chapter about this battle of epic proportions cause wow if we got more of the magical dimension space battle going on this would easily be even higher as one of the best magic manga and even without Touta-nii leading the action. More action please.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Jitsu wa Watashi wa ch. 180

Dumbpire's got a halfway decent plan, am I even reading the right manga

Wait, Akari randomly got fired, I'm reading the right manga after all.

Sing Yesterday for Me ch. 109

It's a literal race for best girl the only reasonable love interest in this series.

Aizo

Banned
I am a Hero End

I started reading this almost 7 years ago because my Japanese exchange student friend said that it was his favorite manga. I looked forward to every chapter release soon after starting. When I moved to Japan, I caught up by buying the volumes here. Somewhere along the way, with the introduction of characters I didn't give a shit about, and zombie transformations, I lost interest and put it on the back burner. In the meantime, I read the author's two other major works, Ressentiment and Boys on the Run. After finishing all of them, the trends are very clear, and I don't think I can read anything by this author anymore.

First of all, the main character always being a hapless otaku loser is pretty boring. I just don't care anymore. They aren't particularly interesting characters, and most of their troubles are brought on by themselves. I like that they have flaws, but they're pretty much just flaws in the end. Nothing really redeems these characters.

About I am a Hero in particular, I think that the beginning to middle was a very strong series about a more realistic take on a zombie apocalypse from a Japanese perspective. That's interesting and uncommon. Then, we introduce a knife wielding telepathic guy who fights in his dirty underpants. From that moment, I think the quality started to go downwards. Following the story of a group of characters that really don't matter, getting involved in a love triangle with a high school girl, giant zombie beast that swallows other zombies, alien conspiracies, cults, the main character going insane, an ending with no conclusion about all the questions... it's just too much. It's sad that it was so good before, but ultimately, it really is not a good manga.

Numb

Fairy Tail 545

Fuck this series

This is easily the worst ending/finale to any shonen manga I've read, and that includes all the ones that were canceled.

Is it even worse than Katekyo Hitman Reborn tho?
I dropped Fairy tail long ago.about the time the dragon showed us his human form. That was sick i'll admit

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That doesn't tell me much of anything. Can you go into detail?

I don't particularly recall those parts being too bad. Off the top of my head, the only part that felt "off" was how abruptly most of the Resistance was put down (and Takumi/Megumi passing). You knew some were going down beforehand, but to such an extent so quickly felt a little disappointing.

Admittedly, I'm not that invested in the current match as the three Resistance chefs were never among my favorites (actually, I completely forgot about Megishima by the time he was reintroduced, LOL)
his plan is ridiculous and makes the plot about something other than the students and their fight to progress normally into the Elite 10.

Is it even worse than Katekyo Hitman Reborn tho?
I dropped Fairy tail long ago.about the time the dragon showed us his human form. That was sick i'll admit

Go read Reborn! again and post another reply because this can never hold true with that shitty ending still in existence.

Never read but to my knowledge hitman reborn just kinda stops after a random arc without resolving jack shit correct?

Numb

Never read but to my knowledge hitman reborn just kinda stops after a random arc without resolving jack shit correct?
The reborn ending literally says everything that happened means nothing and character growth goes back to chapter 1
Like it never happened

I'm mad remembering that shit again

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Night in the Woods

Everyone should play this. If it goes on sale or something you should pick it up. It's like if Inio Asano wrote a manga with Zootopia characters.

Jintor

this is kind of a dumb question since i don't actively follow the series, but has luffy actually changed significantly as a character over the course of one piece?

i was just looking at some naruto stuff and as a person who has never read naruto it kinda seems to me like naruto maybe grew up as a human being over the course of the series? but that might also be wrong so i dunno

ichigo of course started out boring and remained boring until the end of time

Mediking

this is kind of a dumb question since i don't actively follow the series, but has luffy actually changed significantly as a character over the course of one piece?

i was just looking at some naruto stuff and as a person who has never read naruto it kinda seems to me like naruto maybe grew up as a human being over the course of the series? but that might also be wrong so i dunno

Ummm? Ichigo is awesome.

I bailed on Luffy a long time ago but I think he's still the same "I love meat and protecting my friends!" dude.

Chase17

Luffy hasn't really changed at all (which is fine).

Naruto definitely has at least some growth, but it's kind of "automatic" in the sense that it comes from things that had to be dealt with as the series goes on (if that makes sense). Luffy doesn't really have that baggage (or rather it, it just doesn't faze him lol).

Luffy is still Luffy in terms of how he generally reacts to things, but after (marineford spoiler)
ace's death and Luffy's failure to save him
he's generally more willing to form a plan and work with others as opposed to his "imma run forward and punch everything and go beat up the strongest guy" mindset of old. It's not an amazing change and in a vacuum you'd be forgiven if you looked at a random pre/post timeskip chapter and saw no change.

Edti: neogaf.gif 3 responses 3 very different takes lol

No didn't read that either, but now a days it having a bad ending is irrelevant since it got a continuation.
Basically (in spoilers in case someone is a masochist and wants to actually read KHR)
the whole premise and main plot point of the series is the main character's growth.
He's one of those useless-gopher-no-one-cares-about-but-the-love-interest tropes and gets roped in into being a mafia boss. So all of the villains in the series are essentially stepping stones into making him into a man. Suddenly in the last arc, the author decides the main plotline is actually something else, throws a tournament battle royale arc in and at the end the main characte decides to fuck off and go back to being a useless little shit. The final chapter essentially follows the first few chapters, and the series ends with the MC failing to have the courage to confess to his crush, his mentor coming back and saying "I'll make a man out of you"

KHR was the series that made me understand why people sometimes burn tanks.

The only time Naruto had any character growth was when he refused Sakura's desperation sex.

Luffy's overall lack of character development is mostly used as a gag, like when he learns about his father and doesnt give a shit. He does have a good amount of development, but its in flashbacks. In a nutshell, current Luffy is mostly "complete" as a character since what defined him happened when he was a child and was thoroughly explored. His fighting style is what develops the most in relation to events, in how he goes from playing fights by ear, trying random shit for no reason like the golden balls in Skypeia to actively coming up with new moves and practicing then beforehand.

Honestly? I wouldn't have it any other way. Luffy's character is basically Goku done right.

Basically (in spoilers in case someone is a masochist and wants to actually read KHR)
the whole premise and main plot point of the series is the main character's growth.
He's one of those useless-gopher-no-one-cares-aboyt-but-the-love-interest tropes and gets roped in into being a mafia boss. So all of the villains in the series are essentially stepping stones into making him into a man. Suddenly in the last arc, the author decides the main plotline is actually something else, throws a tournament battle royale arc in and at the end the main characte decides to fuck off and go back to being a useless little shit. The final chapter essentially follows the first few chapters, and the series ends with the MC failing to have the courage to confess to his crush, his mentor coming back and saying "I'll make a man out of you"

KHR was the series that made me understand why people sometimes burn tanks.

The only time Naruto had any character growth was when he refused Sakura's desperation sex.

Yeah I can understand that, I've always liked tsuna and reborn in the various jump cross over games so I'll just stick with that for my hitman reborn fix :p

And refusing sex with sakura has got to be the easiest decision any mc has ever had to make

Mediking

Wait... are you guys referring to when Naruto told Sakura that he hates people who lies to themselves when she said she loved him?

But the reason she did that was because Sasuke... I mean SAI... told her she was the reason for all this mess and she was hurting Naruto.

Lmao wow. I actually remember Naruto Year 2 manga.

Wait... are you guys referring to when Naruto told Sakura that he hates people who lies to themselves when she said she loved him?

But the reason she did that was because Sasuke... I mean SAI... told her she was the reason for all this mess and she was hurting Naruto.

Lmao wow. I actually remember Naruto Year 2 manga.

It amazes me how Kishi made Sakura such a fucking shitty female character.

I liked her design heck during the Sasori arc I thought Kishi was doing good by her character. Oh boy how wrong I was. He basically dumped her character and made her trash.

Mediking

It amazes me how Kishi made Sakura such a fucking shitty female character.

I liked her design heck during the Sasori arc I thought Kishi was doing good by her character. Oh boy how wrong I was. He basically dumped her character and made her trash.

We really should have seen the signs that Kishimoto would lose his mind.

I remember in early volumes that Kishimoto said he struggled with female characters and that Sasuke was his favorite.

Sakura... man... lmao

Mediking

In my headcanon the real Sakura died of dysentery after the Sasori fight and was replaced by her twin sister Haruna Doormat.

Lol well in Naruto Year 2...

Sakura kinda did genuinely find Naruto attractive.

She has such few cool moments and the rest are drowned out by Sasuke obession.

Remember when kishimoto did a bonus arc focused on Sakura's daughter that had a large chunk of the plot be about how the daughter wasn't actually Sakura's only to last second pivot making the entire arc just an exercise in trolling Sakura fans? Good times

Remember how the entire point of that arc was to troll those who thought Sakura was not the mother, Sasuke was not married etc, and how certain people had to backpedal to save face? Good times. I mean when Kishi decides to take the mick out of your line of thought, you know you've messed up.

Yeah I can understand that, I've always liked tsuna and reborn in the various jump cross over games so I'll just stick with that for my hitman reborn fix :p

And refusing sex with sakura has got to be the easiest decision any mc has ever had to make

And yet he seemed very quick to call her his girlfriend to his dead dad ;)

In my headcanon the real Sakura died of dysentery after the Sasori fight and was replaced by her twin sister Haruna Doormat.

Sakura Uchiha is best Sakura though.

To be honest I was fond of pretime skip Naruto as well as the Asuma arc, Sasori arc, and the Pain arc. Its just the other shit that really ruined the series especially everything surrounding Sasuke.

Then it started turning into DBZ bullshit lol. I still will have fond memories of it because it did have some genuinely good stuff in it.

Mediking

Remember when kishimoto did a bonus arc focused on Sakura's daughter that had a large chunk of the plot be about how the daughter wasn't actually Sakura's only to last second pivot making the entire arc just an exercise in trolling Sakura fans? Good times

Remember how the entire point of that arc was to troll those who thought Sakura was not the mother, Sasuke was not married etc, and how certain people had to backpedal to save face? Good times. I mean when Kishi decides to take the mick out of your line of thought, you know you've messed up.

And yet he seemed very quick to call her his girlfriend to his dead dad ;)

Sakura Uchiha is best Sakura though.

To be honest I was fond of pretime skip Naruto as well as the Asuma arc, Sasori arc, and the Pain arc. Its just the other shit that really ruined the series especially everything surrounding Sasuke.

Then it started turning into DBZ bullshit lol. I still will have fond memories of it because it did have some genuinely good stuff in it.

Oh, I missed this.

Just talking about manga freely and having a good time.

I find it really hard to take the Sarada gaiden arc seriously. Fucking ninjas doing DNA tests.

Also the whole message of the arc was "my mother sucks but I love her anyways". If you take that as a victory for Sakura more power to you I guess.

Top Bottom