• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Maou-jou de Oyasumi 26

Never had sleep paralysis, but what from I've heard it's supposed to be pretty freaky. 100x so if you're the princess. I'm starting to doubt the demon king's motives for kidnapping her.

Together with Hecaa-chan! (SFW doujin)

Reducing Clownpiece's mental age doesn't serve to make her any more endearing, but translated Hecatia material is so limited that I'll have to suck it up. I question the wisdom of applying Junko's purity principles to cooking. As does Junko herself apparently.

Pop Team Epic 28

lol

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch513

She's aware of it at least.

Maou-jou de Oyasumi ch26

Sleep paralysis seems pretty unpleasant.

Shishunki Bitter Change ch44

They came a long way together.

Shengar

Don't worry, nobody's going to judge!
The guy is a human and the girls aren't deadpan so no.
Fuuka

Guys

I can't breath

The new Fuuka wasn't actually Akitsuki (or her reincarnation), it was some girl from her high school who had an unnatural/unhealthy obsession with Akitsuki who decided to dress and act like Fuuka with the end game of stealing Fuuka's man by pretending to be her

SEEEEEEEEEEEO

Everytime we doubt him, he always proved how wrong we are by topping himself in the grandest way possible.

Bravo Seo, bravo.

cntr

Banned
Fuuka

Guys

I can't breath

The new Fuuka wasn't actually Akitsuki (or her reincarnation), it was some girl from her high school who had an unnatural/unhealthy obsession with Akitsuki who decided to dress and act like Fuuka with the end game of stealing Fuuka's man by pretending to be her

SEEEEEEEEEEEO
Fucking amazing.

Fuuka

Guys

I can't breath

SEEEEEEEEEEEO

I don't even read this shit and even i'm buttblasted

mdubs

Banned

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Fuuka

Guys

I can't breath

SEEEEEEEEEEEO

Lmao, fucking seo

Gal gohan 3

Huh, i never manage to make that kind of fluffy omelette

How many light year to babylon 3

Dowman Sayman make alien fucking scene better than Bioware.

Maou joude oyasumi 26
Sleep paralysis is scary the first time you have it, but after getting it so many times, i was just like eh...

Danberu nan kiro 16
Lol, tutorial for sauna

mdubs

Banned
Jump Week 14 ToC

Dr. Stone (Cover, Lead CP, New Series)
One Piece
Gintama
Hungry Marie (CP)
Kimetsu no Yaiba
Samon the Summoner (CP)
Haikyu!!
Demon Prince Poro's Diaries
Black Clover
The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
The Promised Neverland
We Never Learn
Hinomaru Zumou
U19
Spring Weapon No. 1
Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
Chronicle of Isobe ~Life is Hard~ (CP)
Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma

Weekly Shonen Jump #15
CP: Hinomaru Zumou, Kimetsu no Yaiba, Dr. Stone
One Shot: Gekkou no Arcadia (by Yagi Norihiro)

Pure Rankings

1. One Piece
2. Gintama
3. Kimetsu no Yaiba
4. Haikyu!!
5. Black Clover
6. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
7. The Promised Neverland
8. Hinomaru Zumou
9. Spring Weapon No. 1
10. Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
11. Food Wars!

I have no idea how Food Wars is so low - the chapter being ranked was part of the Joichiro flashback which I thought was pretty great. Much wut

Ace of Diamond Act II 69
C510clNWgAEGvEM.jpg:large

Nice.

Haruichi delivered but that Miyuki fail, he can hopefully make it up next inning.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Pure Rankings

1. One Piece
2. Gintama
3. Kimetsu no Yaiba
4. Haikyu!!
5. Black Clover
6. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
7. The Promised Neverland
8. Hinomaru Zumou
9. Spring Weapon No. 1
10. Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
11. Food Wars!

I have no idea how Food Wars is so low - the chapter being ranked was part of the Joichiro flashback which I thought was pretty great. Much wut

The order its published in isn't always the actual order in which things finish in the mail-in polls, and even assuming it is, neither Yuragi or Shokugeki will be canceled any time soon. In Shokugeki's case, it was a Top 10 series in terms of sales overall last year.

mdubs

Banned
The order its published in isn't always the actual order in which things finish in the mail-in polls, and even assuming it is, neither Yuragi or Shokugeki will be canceled any time soon. In Shokugeki's case, it was a Top 10 series in terms of sales overall last year.

I wasn't saying that it was going to get canceled since the rankings aren't the only thing taken into account for cancellation, but it's weird that the magazine readers didn't like that arc so that it finished so low in the survey rankings

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I wasn't saying that it was going to get canceled since the rankings aren't the only thing taken into account for cancellation, but it's weird that the magazine readers didn't like that arc so that it finished so low in the survey rankings

The problem is that those votes don't actually mean anything but people always assume they do. The editors at Jump aren't independently clueless about what's going to sell well outside of getting those weird cards in the physical mail.

mdubs

Banned
The problem is that those votes don't actually mean anything but people always assume they do. The editors at Jump aren't independently clueless about what's going to sell well outside of getting those weird cards in the physical mail.

I haven't seen any compelling evidence that disproves the way that Bakuman characterized them, so I think most of us continue to interpret the ToC per that system. Not as an automatic "Shokgueki got 12th place = automatic cancel" but as a measure of the way the series is being received.

We've seen it play out numerous times, most recently with Ole Golazo and Demon's Plan landing straight at the back and getting nuked pretty quickly afterwards, so at the very least (even if, as you say, there is no linkage between the ToC and the surveys) that landing at the back is an indication of something being more likely to be cancelled (among other factors). We don't have to say one causes the other, but it sure seems like series at the front of the magazine get canceled far less than those at the back.

What do you take the ToC to be if it isn't a reflection of the survey rankings? If it is determined by the Jump editors in a way that reflects their outlook on a series, that is still a useful indication on how a series is being received

Zweizer

Banned
Keijo ch129-129.5

Nozomi is pretty handy to have around. Looks like we'll have an arc focusing on Kogatana next.

They're a couple in all but name~

Dat shirt.

That something, Miyata, is love!

Bloom Into You ch20

What a wasted opportunity with this relationship Mexican standoff.

Hoshino, Me o Tsubutte. ch10

People can be dicks, so let's be a dick!

dumbyugi

The Jump rankings only really matter for new series or series that aren't selling well. I have huge doubts that series like Reborn and Toriko were canned because slightly less people were sending in postcards with them on it.

bobohoro

Fuuka

Guys

I can't breath

SEEEEEEEEEEEO

This can't be real.

Tomo-chan 513

Shitty romance.

Hajime No Ippo 1171

Good romance.
And that cliffhanger was the meanest in quite some time.
Aoki won't lose, will he?

Dynedom

A Trail of Blood - 01

I have no idea where this is going to go
I felt uncomfortable reading it
Yeah I'm in

Of course it's an Oshimi work

dramatis

I haven't seen any compelling evidence that disproves the way that Bakuman characterized them, so I think most of us continue to interpret the ToC per that system. Not as an automatic "Shokgueki got 12th place = automatic cancel" but as a measure of the way the series is being received.

We've seen it play out numerous times, most recently with Ole Golazo and Demon's Plan landing straight at the back and getting nuked pretty quickly afterwards, so at the very least (even if, as you say, there is no linkage between the ToC and the surveys) that landing at the back is an indication of something being more likely to be cancelled (among other factors). We don't have to say one causes the other, but it sure seems like series at the front of the magazine get canceled far less than those at the back.

What do you take the ToC to be if it isn't a reflection of the survey rankings? If it is determined by the Jump editors in a way that reflects their outlook on a series, that is still a useful indication on how a series is being received
Almost the entire base rules from which we perceive the rankings to be are established on the suggested system in Bakuman, which showed it back in 2008.

Still believing so firmly that this is THE way to read the table of contents is predicated on two things: 1) That Bakuman was being wholly honest and 2) that nothing at Jump editorial has changed in eight years.

People take the rankings too seriously when in the end the content order is subject to editorial whim.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Gunnm

I read the whole thing during the past few weeks. Starts out strong, you're thrown into this cool-looking cyberpunk world along with the protagonist and she has no clue what's what and who she is and you gotta figure stuff out with her. The "arcs" are very different one from the other, to the point where the second arc is pretty much a sports manga, and that's cool

Much like Parasyte, it turns into complete expository garbage in the last couple of volumes, ruining the world and the characters while force-feeding me some poorly interpreted western philosophy with a little bit of tree-hugging shit on top

The author kept pretending he had something to say while he distracted me with some okay fights which were sometimes incomprehensible and whose outcomes were mostly decided by magical technology the characters pulled out of their asses (properly explained in notes at the bottom of the page) and mostly acceptable character designs, although some of them looked like monsters designed by pre-schoolers but redrawn by a professional, in a world that only initially appeared vast and interesting

Anyway it did consistently have some cool body horror/gore panels that I appreciated and that often came outta nowhere. In that sense it didn't disappoint me

Just want to point out that the series was restarted and the original ending retconned out of existence. The story goes much further than the original series including going into space and I find it is a much stronger continuation than the rather slap dash rushed original ending.

Conan-san

U19 # 3: So we are held by the balls for three weeks to get nothing but the princess kidnapped (Sure to show up later as the GUP's Lacas going all "Actauly the Trumps have a point") and a boring [stand] power.

Is U19 secret meta commentary on Jump? Is it Medaka box without the arse-mouth of Nisio Isin rambling on about how smart he thinks he is?

God I hope it gets dropped on it's head like Madaka Box should have been.

Maybe the author isn't afraid to let the two starters lose!

Who am I kidding, she's DOA. At least literature girl is awesome.
Her motief is The Little Mermaid, the author is telling you to give the fuck up before you even start.

Which is a bastarding shame because I like mermaid stuff and this character is intresting and not a retard (Lazy, yes, retard, nope) which just won't do for Wizard Tanaka.

mdubs

Banned
Almost the entire base rules from which we perceive the rankings to be are established on the suggested system in Bakuman, which showed it back in 2008.

Still believing so firmly that this is THE way to read the table of contents is predicated on two things: 1) That Bakuman was being wholly honest and 2) that nothing at Jump editorial has changed in eight years.

People take the rankings too seriously when in the end the content order is subject to editorial whim.

I don't see anything you've written here contradicting what I stated in the post you quoted

Conan-san

That working for Jump is an exercise in breaking yourself over hot coals for very little chance of reward and the Jump Editoral hasn't learned a damn thing?

Yeah, You're not presenting a good case there TBH.

Angry Grimace

This can't be real.

Tomo-chan 513

Shitty romance.

Hajime No Ippo 1171

Good romance.
And that cliffhanger was the meanest in quite some time.
Aoki won't lose, will he?

Not only is it real, the MC doesn't get mad at the imposter, he just gives her life advice.

dramatis

I don't see anything you've written here contradicting what I stated in the post you quoted
That working for Jump is an exercise in breaking yourself over hot coals for very little chance of reward and the Jump Editoral hasn't learned a damn thing?

Yeah, You're not presenting a good case there TBH.
What I'm saying is that for all you know, the system presented in Bakuman, a fictional work, could be fake and cooked up by Ohba, who certainly can do such a thing given his/her pedigree.

mdubs insists that a system outlined in fiction is real. I'm suggesting there is a possibility that it is fake or possibly altered, and that it can also change behind the scenes in an editorial situation that is not open to us because of a language barrier, time, and naturally the closed secrecy of said department.

But apparently I'm the one who is not presenting a good case here.

I think there would need to be the case of a serious series permanently in the back of the magazine (bottom rankings) that survives for several years to provide evidence for the ranking wars to be completely bananas. Or a series that somehow collapsed to the bottom and somehow didnt end for many years (that wasnt in its ending arc).

Angry Grimace

I think there would need to be the case of a serious series permanently in the back of the magazine (bottom rankings) that survives for several years to provide evidence for the ranking wars to be completely bananas. Or a series that somehow collapsed to the bottom and somehow didnt end for many years (that wasnt in its ending arc).

Bleach, Jaguar, etc. Bleach was near the bottom even near the end of the Aizen stuff.

I think its been stated that some of it is just editorial reasons as opposed to being the factual order of the rankings. There's also the fact that why the fuck would the editors give a fuck if a Top 10 selling series didn't get stupid votes? The votes aren't actually meaningful to anything - what's meaningful is whether they sell volumes, and those rankings sometimes, but don't always correlate with that.

The fact that Shokugeki no Soma (allegedly) finished last in those rankings by itself indicates that they're bullshit. Shokugeki no Soma sold close to 4 million volumes last year alone. People keep treating the content order as some kind of Nielsen rating when it doesn't work anything like that either in function or effect.

I mean, even to the extent someone wants to argue it shows how well some arc was received it's nonsensical. We don't know even know how many votes get cast. Even going further down the rabbit hole and you take all of that stuff seriously, Shokugeki finished 3rd, 3rd, 6th and then last in the last 5 issues where it wasn't given color pages. Sure, you could argue that this trend means there was some specific chapter in a series of chapters that the fans didn't recevei well, but Occam's Razor suggests that its more likely the rankings are dumb and/or don't work the way fictional work Bakuman (which of course, had an incentive to play it up for drama) said it did.

Just received my prize that I won from the viz anniversary contest.
202cb6986e357155e8a1bf2606c5247c.jpg

Turns out I won t-shirts! They never asked me my size, so I guess I got lucky on the one they chose for me lol.

Edit:finally got the image to work lol

mdubs

Banned

I think the litmus test is if there has ever been a series that consistently ranked low AND had low sales that survived. The series we've seen ranked low for a consistent period of time have been big sellers; I don't know if we've ever seen a series (aside from Isobee) that has been near the bottom and lasted long-term.

Edit: I cut this part out because it was ruder than I should have been in response.

The fact that Shokugeki no Soma (allegedly) finished last in those rankings by itself indicates that they're bullshit. Shokugeki no Soma sold close to 4 million volumes last year alone. People keep treating the content order as some kind of Nielsen rating when it doesn't work anything like that either in function or effect.

I mean, even to the extent someone wants to argue it shows how well some arc was received it's nonsensical. We don't know even know how many votes get cast. Even going further down the rabbit hole and you take all of that stuff seriously, Shokugeki finished 3rd, 3rd, 6th and then last in the last 5 issues where it wasn't given color pages. Sure, you could argue that this trend means there was some specific chapter in a series of chapters that the fans didn't recevei well, but Occam's Razor suggests that its more likely the rankings are dumb and/or don't work the way fictional work Bakuman (which of course, had an incentive to play it up for drama) said it did.

The sales or number of people who respond don't need to correlate with the way that a chapter was received in the ranking assuming that they are straight taking the surveys and converting them into the ToC though. I mean, it's perfectly possible that Bakuman exaggerated this entire thing, but the rankings do seem to suggest something about the position the series is in. Again, it doesn't mean that because Shokugeki is in 12th place that it is going straight to cancellation land (because sales matter), but it's a visible trend that series usually occupying those spots are the ones that get into trouble if they don't have sales backing them

Angry Grimace

If the advice is anything but "seek professional help" then the plot twist is that they're all actually aliens.

Fucking Seo characters

He just tells her to imitate Akitsuki's spirit and not her actual life. That's it.

Then Guitar-chan comes in to get mad that MC obviously wrote a love song for Fuuka Aoi because she's super in love with MC but never willing to do anything at all to act on it and the chapter ends on comedy.

I think the litmus test is if there has ever been a series that consistently ranked low AND had low sales that survived. The series we've seen ranked low for a consistent period of time have been big sellers; I don't know if we've ever seen a series (aside from Isobee) that has been near the bottom and lasted long-term.

I hope Dramatis will consider reading the posts he/she is quoting in the future, because the post of mine they quoted isn't contradicted by anything that he/she is suggesting

It's not a litmus test for anything (sales matter, rankings don't) and suggesting someone who disagrees with you couldn't possibly be reading your posts is disingenuous at best. The problem is that you can't even use the rankings to gauge how an arc was received because we know almost nothing about the actual process of ordering the magazine outside of what a fictional work that used it for drama said about it.

The reverse is also true - One Piece doesn't always finish in first despite selling more than the entire magazine combined per year.

mdubs

Banned
It's not a litmus test for anything (sales matter, rankings don't) and suggesting someone who disagrees with you couldn't possibly be reading your posts is disingenuous at best. The problem is that you can't even use the rankings to gauge how an arc was received because we know almost nothing about the actual process of ordering the magazine outside of what a fictional work that used it for drama said about it.

So let's say that Bakuman is made up and there is no connection between ToC and the surveys. What is the competing explanation for why series at the back of the magazine tend to end up on the cancellation block compared to those at the front or even the middle? I've suggested one interpretation, I don't see Dramatis, who is concerned with the Bakuman element, as contradicting any of that, which is what my complaint is about. Dramatis is responding to the explanation I put forward for the ToC position and cancellations being linked with "but Bakuman is made up and things could have changed", which isn't challenging the main part I was arguing.

Angry Grimace

So let's say that Bakuman is made up and there is no connection between ToC and the surveys. What is the competing explanation for why series at the back of the magazine tend to end up on the cancellation block compared to those at the front or even the middle? I've suggest one interpretation, I don't see Dramatis, who is concerned with the Bakuman element, as contradicting any of that, which is what my complaint is about.
The problem is the idea that something getting cancelled is directly related to however those votes work (and again, we know practically nothing about them). Those surveys can match up with sales potential sometimes, but just as often don't. If they did, One Piece would be the first series in the magazine 100% of the time.

To-Love-Ru ran in the back of the magazine for several years straight and not only never got cancelled, its still running in another imprint. It only ended because the author's wife sued him for basing one of the characters off of herself.

mdubs

Banned
The problem is the idea that something getting cancelled is directly related to however those votes work (and again, we know practically nothing about them). Those surveys can match up with sales potential sometimes, but just as often don't. If they did, One Piece would be the first series in the magazine 100% of the time.

To-Love-Ru ran in the back of the magazine for several years straight and not only never got cancelled, its still running in another imprint. It only ended because the author's wife sued him for basing one of the characters off of herself.

That's based on the assumption that #1 in sales = #1 in survey results/votes (if we are working under the Bakuman framework).

But I don't take myself as arguing as the ToC represents sales outlook, but at some level at the very least, a measure of how people are receiving a particular chapter relative to the other things that ran that week (which would fit with the Bakuman framework of surveys).

Bleach is an example of a series that persisted despite being at the bottom of the rankings for an extended period. That's true, but its collapse in the rankings also correlates with a time period where quality complaints about the series spiked, and sales fell from their peak, which we might argue is an indication that the series was not being well-received (and would presumably lead to poor survey results if we assume that's the way it works). It didn't get canceled obviously because it had strong sales, but that doesn't affect the correlation between the decline in reception for the series and its continually low position in the rankings.

That said, I'm not familiar with how To-Love Ru fared when it was in the magazine and if people were complaining about it then, so I'd be open to hearing about if there was a connection there.

Peco

Lol

Top Bottom