• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTP| The Salt Smut Only Knows

Status
Not open for further replies.

dramatis

I was referring to those too, but the problem is that there is no real identifier for those genres, other than what magazine it appears in. Not all comics (with romance in them) in josei/seinen magazines covers "serious aspects" of relationships. Some are hindered because they use middle school students for example.
How is a story hindered because it uses middle school students? If the story is built for that era of life, and speaks of the themes and happenings of middle school students, how is it 'less serious' than a story of university students discussing sex? Is it the sex and 'maturity' that by default makes the university story superior?

Identifier or not, there's probably more than enough manga to cover the topics you're looking for, just that they may not be translated, licensed, or easily visible and available. The identifier is indeed just the magazine these manga are published in, but at the same time understanding the target audience of these magazines also means the identifier has a value. Shounen Jump alone does not only contain action stories, the editors try to keep a well-rounded set of serializations with comedy, romance/harem, sports, and subsections even further for each of the above. Magazines are not nearly so simple to cater to one aspect of the genres themselves.

Each one of shounen, shoujo, josei, seinen, can cover a wide variety of stories. You're calling "Tower of God S1" the best shounen you have ever read, but is it shounen action? Can the story and development of the characters not easily be surpassed by a slice-of-life educational yet still shounen manga such as Silver Spoon? Then there's the domains of 'harem shounen' or 'sports shounen' (which can resemble action shounen but also differ).

As the person who first used 'best shoujo/josei' without actually understanding the differences between the two and afterwards complaining how useless the identifiers are, aren't you just saying you have your own preference and it's superior because 'no middle school'? University is superior? If that's the case, then working women manga are even more mature and adult! Bambino, and Real Clothes are manga in that department. They take place in the real world beyond schooling which automatically gives them +1000 vs the standard university dramas, because they discuss working life, sex, conflicts of interest, friendships, financial problems, coworker problems, more than just relationships and sex and omg boyfriends/girlfriends etc.

Hentai manga doesn't even bother with discussion, it has actual acts of sex in it, super serious and better than your flimsy middle school romances or your university student relationship talk. Clothes hinder the real "serious aspects" of relationships.

Koisuru Futari no Taion 1
tumblr_n4uu7oJtTb1qbxqfpo1_1280.png

Seems that the deliveryman plot is one that is growing in popularity as of late as this featured the same worker falls in love with delivery man, except so far its just his scent fetish that made Kanba flustered and everything over Takahashi san to the point of even admitting that to him right at the start and making out after dinner. More focus could have been on that scene though as it just happened, but it is chapter one..

Good cover and colour page.

I think that once you've tried out most of the Japanese stuff it only makes sense to go on to the Korean stuff. I think Korean webcomics are doing good stuff with colour and music that manga isn't. And then there is just what seems to be greater variety in the Korean stuff, but it might just me getting tired of the Japanese stuff/read all the good ones.

Cheese in the Trap is one of the best Josei/Shoujo comic I have ever read. It takes place in University which automatically gives it a +100 vs the standard HS dramas, because they can and do discuss working life, sex and possibilities of marriage in the future, whether the relationship will go anywhere etc. The story itself is fairly generic overrall but it destroys the usual status quo by making the "perfect guy" very dark and possibly sociopathic. The use of flashbacks and different POV makes it feel A LOT more fleshed out and realistic too. The drama is interpersonal and the issues the MC finds herself in are usually realistic, the normal issues of life that wear you down and make you unsure of yourself.

Tower of God Season 1 is best Shounen Battle manga I have read, no exceptions. Not so much a fan of S2, but I think S1 again takes a generic goody goody generic Shounen protag, but puts him in a very dark , dangerous world. The MC stands out as an anomaly to the rest of the cast and the juxtaposition makes it work very well. The world building is phenomenal and the world feels really well fleshed out. The comic is funny when it needs to and serious when it needs to and the art is really good. The use of colour enhances and makes you realise hw much it is missing in JP manga.

Then there are other great stuff like Afterschool War Activities (10/10 must read), Story of Someone we Know, By Chance, We... and..., and Annarasumanara.

I don't know what's worse, if saying there is more variety in manwha than in manga, or believing that a josei in university is something novel.

scy

14-Sai no Koi makes me warm and fuzzy inside. I think this means I'm dying of something. That probably has nothing to add but all this talk about middle school / high school made me want to say this.

Also, sex.

Soma

I really can't subscribe to the idea that introducing sex in a story makes it automatically superior and more "MATURE" than others when KNIM introduced it and I don't want to live in a world where THAT is considered superior to anything.

14-Sai no Koi makes me warm and fuzzy inside. I think this means I'm dying of something. That probably has nothing to add but all this talk about middle school / high school made me want to say this.

Also, sex.

And if you want warm, fuzzy and also sex, you always can read My lovely ghost Kana!

Charade

Doesn't Golden Week make the next sj chapters spoil earlier or something? Or am I remembering wrong...

Are we gonna have a Wednesday-tastic weekend coming up?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Doesn't Golden Week make the next sj chapters spoil earlier or something? Or am I remembering wrong...

Are we gonna have a Wednesday-tastic weekend coming up?

It usually depends on the leakers. Sometimes we get it super early then nothing for two weeks, others it's just on time.

Rhapsody

Banned
Fuuka 13

Nagoshi cameo this time. Also, still no drama yet in this manga, and we still don't know how Fuuka really feels about the main character.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Akame ga Kiru

Did this bitch just turn Ran into a puppet? The man wanted to die peacefully and you threw that out the window quick. Tch.

Also, do you guys have any good recommendations for smut with a good story? I read Peephole recently and it was pretty engaging.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fuuka 13

Nagoshi cameo this time. Also, still no drama yet in this manga, and we still don't know how Fuuka really feels about the main character.

She's oblivious to the concept.

upandaway

Also, do you guys have any good recommendations for smut with a good story? I read Peephole recently and it was pretty engaging.
Shokugeki no Soma (if it counts as smut)
Trinity Seven (also if it counts as smut)
Hoozuki-san Chi no Aneki
Prison School
Prunus Girl

Lain

Hentai manga doesn't even bother with discussion, it has actual acts of sex in it, super serious and better than your flimsy middle school romances or your university student relationship talk. Clothes hinder the real "serious aspects" of relationships.

Why strike out the truth, Drama?!

Kingdom, Nanatsu no Taizai, Gintama and Magi saved WednesdayGAF for me

Held back on Magi and Gintama for Today but Kingdom and Nanatsu is a added bonus

Revo

Kuroko no Basket 259

Am glad to see that Hyuuga got his groove back. Time to bring this match to an end, hopefully.

7 Deadly Sins 75

Meliodas so cool.

Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo 34-35

Yeah, don't you feel tough for beating up a girl that was pretending to be a guy!

Soul Cartel 121

aaaand time for more training

Akame ga Kill

Well those guys got rekt. How could you do that Kurome ;_; he was like a character that did stuff or whatever.

Mucielago

Wasn't super interesting enough for me. Actually it kind of sucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom