• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTP| The Salt Smut Only Knows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akito

Everybody needs to read annarasumanara. I proabably read that antiwhippy kun i just dont remember
Survivor tricked me into reading that once, seems like generic emo shoujo mango with hilariously bad art to me.

cny7x4e0xknu46977.jpg

But I guess I'm pretty biased towards webtoons, will check out Kiss Wood at least cause that has decent art from the look of it.

K: The First 5
BmePAz4CIAAhfSD.png

No matter how many times I come across it in the K universe, Fushimi and Yata fighting getting under each others skin remains hilarious. Its one of the best rivalvry/friendship events across clans in awhile.

Nothing new to the anime story here, beyond just one of the kings in the tower looking down upon everyone else.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
To be fair, I also think that quite a number of manhwas I've read have pretty terrible art and story too. It's either one or both.

Kisswood is top quality though.

Now we need to rank monogatari waifus

shinobu>hanekawa (timeskip)>hanekawa (black)>tsukihi>mayoi (timeskip)>senjougahara>hanekawa>karen>nadeko>mayoi>kanbaru

Oh god this is way too hard

let me fix that for you

senjougahara>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>everyone else cos they don't matter

Love Lesson 4-5 (end)
tumblr_n4ukftUBgZ1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Love Lesson stayed focused on its actor love lesson plot for the entire volume. The tale of the lessons in love between the actors Ayame and Mineyuki along with their dramatic trouble with the manager who wanted to break them apart due to threats to their career made for a fairly light and cute yet wonderful read. Their date on the town with the movie was just as pleasing as the kissing scene. Will look forward to more of her work as these are the type of stories I like quite a lot.

ElFly

Korean names and honorifics are completely alien to me.

I religiously read the breaker, and to this day I cannot tell you the name of anyone.

They are all "the protagonist", "his teacher", "hot girl that is supposed to be the protagonist bodyguard", "one of the four stars or something", "teacher's girlfriend" etc, etc.

Korean names and honorifics are completely alien to me.

I religiously read the breaker, and to this day I cannot tell you the name of anyone.

They are all "the protagonist", "his teacher", "hot girl that is supposed to be the protagonist bodyguard", "one of the four stars or something", "teacher's girlfriend" etc, etc.

Yep. The only name I remember is of the best girl: Sera.

_hekk05

Banned
Japanese:
-chan
-san
-kun
-sama
[rarer]
-tan
-cchi
-pon
-pyon

(o)nii- / ani(ue) : older brother
(o)nee- / ane(ue) : older sister
imouto : younger sister
otouto : younger brother
itoko : cousin
(o)tou- / chichi(ue): father
(o)kaa / haha(ue): mother
(o)baa / (o)sobo: grandmother
(o)jii / (o)sofu : grandfather
(o)baa : aunt
(o)jii : uncle
musuko : son
musume : daughter

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Spirit Circle 23
Oh shit, Spascifica!! I didn't think we'd hear about him until we got to Fortuna.

I guess this is what Hotarou meant when he said he'd be sticking around. :(

Zero

64WS4sw.png

TZFT9Pn.png

Wonderful work from Taiyo Matsumoto. A too good boxer that is starting to be too old searches an opponent, a playmate, of his level, before leaving the circuit. But, he isn't normal. Also, flowers. Just two volumes, the sweet spot in length.

Claymore 150
Looks like it will end in next chapter and an epilogue after... Still seems incomplete really wondering what Yagi has in store.

Claymore isn't ending. Unless you mean Prissy? Then yeah she's gone. GONE! Praise the sun! I can not fucking wait to see her die. But, yeah Claymore still has a lot left. We still have the Dragon War.

Dresden

Those Korean honorifics gives me a headache. You basically don't need any of them in a proper translation, but instead we get... sunsengnim*.

*sunsengnim means teacher

---

kekkon yubiwa monogatari - 1

l-l-lewd

KbxpUJ3.png

This is generic as fuck and I kinda lost all hope for it when the leads friendzoned each other. rip dusk maiden

_hekk05

Banned
Those Korean honorifics gives me a headache. You basically don't need any of them in a proper translation, but instead we get... sunsengnim*.

I think its because english speakers don't really call their teachers "teacher" you know? Like here we just call them Mr/Mrs/Mdm/Ms/Prof surname.

I guess calling a teacher "teacher" only really happens in other languages.

Akito

Kiss Wood (end)
Well, that was not too bad, a fantasy survival story with a heavy dose of philosophical and environmentalistic questions. It was neither too deep nor thought-provoking in any way but the characters were decent and it managed to tie most things together at the end. The art was indeed pretty good even though I still don't like the vertically flowing nature of webtoons very much.

Kekkon Yubiwa Monogatari 2

this is gonna have such a hard time living up to Tasogare and it seems pretty generic so far, but I dunno. Maybe it'll be good.

As long as those two don't beat around the bush for too long and try to pass themselves off as friends too much it might be ok.

ElFly

Yep. The only name I remember is of the best girl: Sera.

My man!

Prolly the worst in the breaker is the teacher himself, who is referred to as teacher, sunsengnim, nine arts dragon, goomoon ryung (did I get that right?), etc etc and almost never by his actual name.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Black Haze 49
They skipped a chapter. :(

And Lidusis's brother deliberately wanted to kill them? Fuck that guy.

But who cares, finally Blow saves the day!

dramatis

I'm half-watching (aka skipping through) a current Chinese drama series, and I get the sensation (despite not actually watching it) that this is probably what reading KNIM is like.

The screenwriter writes some hot garbage man. Feels bad.

Hey you people what day is today?
Today is Golden Week. You ain't gettin' no big 3.

I'm half-watching (aka skipping through) a current Chinese drama series, and I get the sensation (despite not actually watching it) that this is probably what reading KNIM is like.

The screenwriter writes some hot garbage man. Feels bad.

oh yeah I need to go back to rage town soon

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
You should read KNIM just to confirm.

Kuroko no Basket 260
wow that was a whole chapter dedicated to a single basket

yeah fuck this. dropped (not that I even truly picked it up in the first place)

_hekk05

Banned
Second Brain 1

Supernatural powers and government agencies and researchers and secret experiments and androids and amulets and second brains. MC is a typical teenager who doesn't appreciate his mom until she dies.

Seems interesting
Its a shounen after all
, but need to read a few more chapters to see how it goes.

I think that once you've tried out most of the Japanese stuff it only makes sense to go on to the Korean stuff. I think Korean webcomics are doing good stuff with colour and music that manga isn't. And then there is just what seems to be greater variety in the Korean stuff, but it might just me getting tired of the Japanese stuff/read all the good ones.

Cheese in the Trap is one of the best Josei/Shoujo comic I have ever read. It takes place in University which automatically gives it a +100 vs the standard HS dramas, because they can and do discuss working life, sex and possibilities of marriage in the future, whether the relationship will go anywhere etc. The story itself is fairly generic overrall but it destroys the usual status quo by making the "perfect guy" very dark and possibly sociopathic. The use of flashbacks and different POV makes it feel A LOT more fleshed out and realistic too. The drama is interpersonal and the issues the MC finds herself in are usually realistic, the normal issues of life that wear you down and make you unsure of yourself.

Tower of God Season 1 is best Shounen Battle manga I have read, no exceptions. Not so much a fan of S2, but I think S1 again takes a generic goody goody generic Shounen protag, but puts him in a very dark , dangerous world. The MC stands out as an anomaly to the rest of the cast and the juxtaposition makes it work very well. The world building is phenomenal and the world feels really well fleshed out. The comic is funny when it needs to and serious when it needs to and the art is really good. The use of colour enhances and makes you realise hw much it is missing in JP manga.

Then there are other great stuff like Afterschool War Activities (10/10 must read), Story of Someone we Know, By Chance, We... and..., and Annarasumanara.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno, most of the stuff I've read that's Korean isn't that great, besides Black Haze and The Gamer sort of.

Then again, most manga isn't that great either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom