• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTP| The Salt Smut Only Knows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tower of God being good? Lmao

Whats better? I'm not against the idea that I have missed a crapload of stuff that is better.

I like how he bolded sex

It's important. Even if the characters are waiting for marriage or whatever atleast the story should have some analysis of it. It's a huge part of human relationships and the lack of any real discussion of it makes many manga feel childish.

survivor

Banned
Whats better? I'm not against the idea that I have missed a crapload of stuff that is better.
Any story that doesn't feel like it's a video game with bad expositions info dump is automatically better.

It's important. Even if the characters are waiting for marriage or whatever atleast the story should have some analysis of it. It's a huge part of human relationships and the lack of any real discussion of it makes many manga feel childish.
The problem is that it's a meaningless qualifier. Any seinen/josei manga that deals with romance has people where they have sex in it. But it doesn't somehow make the relationships or the story any better.

c2fBhH1.jpg

Okitenemuru 6-7

HAHAHAHA!

He just sent his friend to die because he wanted to play hero and save the jerk.

Serves him right.

Room Share 3-10

So many good minor moments in their day to day lives. Looks like everything is all ups for them which is good from the series that try to work in drama. Sometimes its just not even needed for stories and I like that.

Festival scene with the coloured tongues was pleasing especially how it turned into a long kiss scene.

Shengar

The problem is that it's a meaningless qualifier. Any seinen/josei manga that deals with romance has people where they have sex in it. But it doesn't somehow make the relationships or the story any better.

Having sex is definitely the definite way to show how serious and tell a mature relationships in a fictional story.

scy

But sex.

I think I get his point, though, in that it at least treats the relationship as if there's more to think about later vs other romance stories that just give the day-to-day bits with no regard to later. But I'm not really sure that's a case of making one better than the other. I don't read Horimiya, for instance, to care about that stuff. It's just a cute fluffy high school romance.

I just thought the characters looked like expy's lol. When I investigated further I saw that it was the interesting LN you were talking about before.

Yes, it's very interesting. Not super interesting cause this is almost wholesome for once!

Is that the same as the first one? Or is it Gekkous sequel?

It's a short story that happens at the end of the novel. It's like 40 pages, so not much of a sequel but more like oh here, they are doing this.

Any story that doesn't feel like it's a video game with bad expositions info dump is automatically better.

The problem is that it's a meaningless qualifier. Any seinen/josei manga that deals with romance has people where they have sex in it.But it doesn't somehow make the relationships or the story any better.

On the topic of Tower of God, I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree.I think the worldbuilding is phenomenal and I can't recall any annoying or unnecessary info dumps, unless you are talking about the Author's afterwords which are obviously not part of the comic. I'm not an extremist though, I understand my lack of knowledge on many things, so I'd love for you to recommend something that will put it to shame.

On sex in romance manga, I don't think it's a completely meaningless quantifier due to the fact that it is missing in so many manga. I don't think you realize just how many shounen/shoujo manga skip any discussion of it. It obviously isn't the be all and end all otherwise smut would be the ultimate romance manga. It was only bolded because it wasn't long ago on MangaGAF where I bemoaned the lack of sexual relationships in manga.

survivor

Banned
I don't think it's a meaningless quantifier due to the fact that it is missing in so many manga. I don't think you realize just how many shounen/shoujo manga skip any discussion of it. It obviously isn't the be all and end all otherwise smut would be the ultimate romance manga. It was only bolded because it wasn't long ago on MangaGAF where I bemoaned the lack of sexual relationships in manga.
So then read seinen/josei? Given what most themes covered in shounen/shoujo manga, it's understandable they aren't interested in covering serious aspects of relationships.

My Father Is a Loli (3-end)
Bme4ASeIQAAFGYv.png

Surprised all those ads suggested this was that popular, and two volumes even. Art style is the only good part, at least Iwaki was there to add some variety and the sciency part of the plot did offer some interesting ideas, but others pretty boring.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Whatever happened to Shokugeki this week? I saw the raw like a week ago.

So then read seinen/josei? Given what most themes covered in shounen/shoujo manga, it's understandable they aren't interested in covering serious aspects of relationships.

I was referring to those too, but the problem is that there is no real identifier for those genres, other than what magazine it appears in. Not all comics (with romance in them) in josei/seinen magazines covers "serious aspects" of relationships. Some are hindered because they use middle school students for example.

Shengar

I don't see why it is.

Because it is not (i'm not good at sarcasm).
Sex it's like other concept or ideas, it's another s tool of device for exploring certain theme and plot of a fiction. While sex is usually done and seriously being talked about by adults, it doesn't mean that containing the element of sex itself makes a fiction turned mature. When its handled poorly, sex will make the fiction actually looks more juvenile than mature, like teenager having sex just to prove themselves how mature they are without thinking of the consequences.

Well, for Moral Panic, don't get me wrong. I'm not against fiction being exploring sex as theme of relationship. Catherine show how great it is when done correctly. But saying that human relationship is built hugely on sex is pretty.....narrow? There are many relationships that not built around having sex. Sex is just another facet of human relationships and its certainly by no mean a huge part of it.

survivor

Banned
Zero

Wonderful work from Taiyo Matsumoto. A too good boxer that is starting to be too old searches an opponent, a playmate, of his level, before leaving the circuit. But, he isn't normal. Also, flowers. Just two volumes, the sweet spot in length.

When I first read this, I wasn't a fond of the ending, but I think over the years it really grew on me. It's also fun to see Matusmoto's art from 20 years ago compared to now. Keeping the crude character designs, but giving much more life to it through more expressive backgrounds and shading.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fuuka 13

I'm gonna laugh when MC finally sacs up and tries to get some, but then Fuuka acts all surprised that she's been totally being a cocktease towards the MC the entire time. Not that this dude is going to grow a sac any time soon. His entire character is built around being a no-sac-having beta.

Sword Art Online Progressive 9

Asuna has amazing precision and criticle hit rate, while Kirito has to be flashier and hit more to make up for this difference? Ugh hopefully Kirito focuses in on important areas. Reminds me in games where I always focus on upping crit first.

When I first read this, I wasn't a fond of the ending, but I think over the years it really grew on me. It's also fun to see Matusmoto's art from 20 years ago compared to now. Keeping the crude character designs, but giving much more life to it through more expressive backgrounds and shading.

I liked the ascend of the rival boxer into craziness and brutality, into being like him, at that point I was thinking he was trying to "seed" a new flower in the boxing arena, to leave a new boxer like him and to sacrifice himself and wither away in the process, But in the final rounds the opponent feels he soars too high, too long, and got sick of it. In that moment the sheer craziness of the protagonist comes and makes him win.

In a way this manga takes the typical sports shonen perspective, a guy super talented on the sport who lives for it, and makes it creepy, crazy and pitiful. If you think about it, it's true, the MC of the typical shonen sports are super freaks of that sport, their lives are focused on it, it seems family, friends, studies, jobs, other hobbies are secondary for them. They only train, fight, and when they talk to someone is a coach or a team mate.

Fantasma 2

Chapter probably didnt need to be that long but every moment was good, backstory, friendship to breakdown of it, and then good action. The three minute limiter needs to be lifted fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom