• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTP| The Salt Smut Only Knows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matsuru Kami 01-03

A brother and sister lost their parents in an accident. In comes a long distant relative who lives out in the countryside who says he'll take care of them as long as one of them promises to become his heir as a deity.

I like it. It's pretty relaxing and does a good mix of the supernatural and daily lives. It's a little slow but plays well with the nature of the story.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, you mean that big-breasted convenient plot-device? :p

Actually it's kind of hard to pick the best character in One Piece, not because there are many "best" but none of them actually make a deep impression on me. Maybe Shank.
I feel the same way. There's no one in OP that I feel emotionally attached to or am affected by. I just like Hancock's personality post falling for Luffy.

3wmGy1c.jpg

Lasboss x Hero 13

The plot thickens.

Not going to have my desired Nina death scene if she remains as Demon Queen with the cockblocking Editor behind her.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
One Piece Chapters 233-235

So about a billion named characters just got introduced. :O

Okobore Hime to Entaku no Kishi 01

W81Y9pDl.jpg

In an effort to prevent a succession war between his two sons, the current king appoints his daughter as the new ruler of the land. And her first task is to find her 12 knights and form her own round table.

Or princess runs around trying to create her own harem. Well at least she's spunky, not timid but definitely her own character. Well that's too early to tell if she falls back into the normal shoujo lead. But I think this is kinda interesting and wouldn't mind seeing her she builds her own harem.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder why i don't like reverse harem
I usually find it a little more bearable than normal harems because you can tell that there's a suitor who she favors the most. Otherwise it defaults into a triangle, the other ones just kind of get played for laughs.

But you trade harem trappings for shoujo trappings, so your mileage may vary. I guess if I had to pick the reverse harem I enjoyed the most, it'd be Barajou no Kiss or something... But that's just off the top of my head. I dunno, there might be a better one that I'm forgetting/

Mortemis

Banned
3wmGy1c.jpg

Lasboss x Hero 13

The plot thickens.

Not going to have my desired Nina death scene if she remains as Demon Queen with the cockblocking Editor behind her.

That looks so uncomfortable. Doesn't it hurt her breasts the way they squeeze out of the panel and jam against the panel borders?

kasane

I usually find it a little more bearable than normal harems because you can tell that there's a suitor who she favors the most. Otherwise it defaults into a triangle, the other ones just kind of get played for laughs.

But you trade harem trappings for shoujo trappings, so your mileage may vary. I guess if I had to pick the reverse harem I enjoyed the most, it'd be Barajou no Kiss or something... But that's just off the top of my head. I dunno, there might be a better one that I'm forgetting/

you just don't have the heart of a maiden looking for love

I think i read a lot of bad reverse harems with the formula off:

I like guy A and he feels the same

Guy B likes me and my feelings are confused

*cuelovetriangle*

Guy C just let her go

Or some shit like that

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member

*cuelovetriangle*

Guy C just let her go

Or some shit like that
Yeah no, that's totally how shit plays out 90% of the time. I hate reverse harems too, just a bit less than normal harems.

And then sometimes you get stuff like Ouran Host Club and Perfect Girl Evolution where the other guys don't give a shit and it's mostly just the main pairing.

*cuelovetriangle*

Guy C just let her go

Or some shit like that

That's less reverse harem and more your normal shoujo.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

*cuelovetriangle*

Guy C just let her go

Or some shit like that

I dunno, sounds better than most actual harems.

GaimeGuy

One Piece Chapters 237 and 238

This is fucking weird, even for one piece.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
So I was reading some other forums, and someone brought up that Ichigo is still on Snake Way (or rather, the giant staircase to Soul Society). I checked when that started and it was Chapter 555, the latest was 579. 24 chapters in and no sign of him.

For comparison, I checked how long it took Goku to get from King Kai's planet to the battle with Nappa & Vegeta. He left at the end of Chapter 212, and arrived at the end of Chapter 223!

How did pacing get so fucked everywhere?

GaimeGuy

So I was reading some other forums, and someone brought up that Ichigo is still on Snake Way (or rather, the giant staircase to Soul Society). I checked when that started and it was Chapter 555, the latest was 579. 24 chapters in and no sign of him.

For comparison, I checked how long it took Goku to get from King Kai's planet to the battle with Nappa & Vegeta. He left at the end of Chapter 212, and arrived at the end of Chapter 223!

$$$$$$$$

Charade

That's impossible. I just read it all and I only remember like 8 people's names.

They have names?

I just assume they were just called by whatever special quirk they do.

I usually follow Haly's comprehensive list:
Italian bros, curry dude, loli teacher, glasses nerd, naked apron, meat, science, tsuntsun, Tadokoro, assistant, Tadokoro's shitty friend #1, Tadokoro's shitty friend #2...

Though now I remember Ryouko (shitty friend #1) since some people actually like her I guess...
weird I know

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

It's hard not to fuck up the pacing if you need a full page cool pose every single time a character opens his/her mouth to speak.

Banana kun

DTL is love

DTL is life

Im gonna get into yaoi. someday, maybe not.

Not my cup of tea.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Things manga authors need to stop doing:

Naruto: pulling things out from his arse.
Bleach: full-page cool poses that fucks up the pacing.
One Piece: making attractive ladies copies of Nami + Robin. Also tone down the incredibly excessive fanservice. It's like there's some sort of rule or something in OP that every attractive female in OP must wear something totally ridiculous.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The real test is Soma character names.

Hmmm... excluding Soma because that's cheating.

Erina
Tadokoro
Alice
Kyou (Alice's assistant that goes Zoro when he cooks)
Ryouko (busty redhead in Soma's dorm)
Yoshino (blonde in Soma's dorm)
Marui (glasses guy in Soma's dorm)
Takumi ("rival")
Isami (rival's brother)
Ikumi (meat chick)
Jouchiro (Soma's badass dad)
Dojima (one of the chefs that runs the school)

Then there's bangs guy, naked upper-classman, pompadour guy, tall Chinese girl, girl that looks like Sadako from The Ring, Erina's assistant, spice guy, old lady that runs the dorm, Erina's grandpa, 26 year old teacher that looks like a 12 year old, jackass chef that nearly expelled Tadokoro.... that's all I got.

As for the Tontatta Dwarves...
Leo
Gancho
Cub (I've also heard Kabu)
..... Yeah that's all I've got there.

To be fair, any series with loads and loads of characters will run into these problems.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom