• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.
entrement said:
So what are you guys getting this fall?

I'll probably get some Clark's in suede and more pants--wool flannels and moleskines. Maybe a nice corduroy sports jacket too. God, I love fall clothing.
I'm in need of new Clark's too--wallabies are my everyday casual shoe in the fall. I'm not sure if I should go with beige again or a light shade of brown.

I've already stocked up on new ties from Vineyard Vines for the fall/winter parties but need a crewneck and a V-neck navy sweater. I'm thinking Brooks Brothers. I might get a few more pairs of khaki pants and a dress shirt or polo or two, also from Brooks Brothers.

What I'd really like to get soon are new ultra comfortable pajamas, but don't know where to look. Any suggestions? (matching shirt and lounge pants)

Doytch

entrement said:
So what are you guys getting this fall?

I'll probably get some Clark's in suede and more pants--wool flannels and moleskines. Maybe a nice corduroy sports jacket too. God, I love fall clothing.
Got a pair of Bonobos cords with the half-off deals (just picked up from the tailor), a few LS button-downs on sale (at the tailors atm) and a shawl sweater at Land's End , and I splurged on a $90 button-down from my friend's store. Want to buy boots and a fall jacket, gonna look around when I'm in DC next weekend.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Bit-Bit said:
Shopping at Forever21 Men is a great place to get good looking clothes for cheap.
I tried doing this today, good looking clothes, but holy crap they had barely anything of my size(small), ended up empty handed.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
macuser1of5 said:
They look good on my wife. Made well in the US (at least the ones she has) but nothing special. Their men's washes are kind of eeehh.

Yeah, I have never actually tried any on, but the price range is right up there with Diesel, and personally I think Earnest Sewn looks a bit better.

If anyone can recommend brands of Jeans under a hundred that are good quality/less known let me know. Looking at lucky brand for the moment.

Sean2 said:
Yeah, I have never actually tried any on, but the price range is right up there with Diesel, and personally I think Earnest Sewn looks a bit better.

If anyone can recommend brands of Jeans under a hundred that are good quality/less known let me know. Looking at lucky brand for the moment.
Honestly, I just do Hollister/Abercrombie. Thick, sturdy stuff that comes in a variety of cuts/washes. Their slim line works really well for me.

Enron

Banned
Chuck said:
I'm in need of new Clark's too--wallabies are my everyday casual shoe in the fall. I'm not sure if I should go with beige again or a light shade of brown.

I've already stocked up on new ties from Vineyard Vines for the fall/winter parties but need a crewneck and a V-neck navy sweater. I'm thinking Brooks Brothers. I might get a few more pairs of khaki pants and a dress shirt or polo or two, also from Brooks Brothers.

What I'd really like to get soon are new ultra comfortable pajamas, but don't know where to look. Any suggestions? (matching shirt and lounge pants)

Brooks is great for sweaters, unbeatable for dress shirts, and great for polos (get the slim fit or extra slim if you are a stick), but I really don't care for their chinos much. For chinos I stick to jcrew, especially when there's a coupon. I usually end up paying about 40 or so for a pair, and they offer like 4 different fits (the classic fits are perfect).

Eric WK

Sean2 said:

If you're spending under $100, Levi's or GAP, but $100 is a kind of an odd cutoff w/r/t jeans. You can get good Levi's (regularly) and GAP (on sale) jeans for around $35 or $40. There's nothing else really worth buying until over $100 at which point you should be able to find Naked & Famous or Nudie on sale at that price point or just above it.

Sean2 said:

If you don't mind getting it from eBay, these or these jeans from Uniqlo Japan are probably the best deal on denim I found

noire

Unconfirmed Member
Went nuts with that Macy's sale yesterday...

6 pairs of wool slacks ($45 each, reg $125)
6 dress shirts (~$15 each, regular ~$50)
A sports coat ($37, reg $200)
6 pairs of socks ($14, reg $30)
3 ties ($14 each, reg $50)
2 pairs of Levi's 501s (black and indigo) (~$35 each, reg ~$60)

Then, at Nordstrom, 1 pair of dark brown suede win tip bucks. ($100)

Ended up around $600.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
lupin23rd said:
Picked up this Beams x Inventory western denim shirt yesterday and stoked to get wearing it.

A lot lighter than in had thought, probably a good thing since it's still warm here.

Really interested to see how it wears in, I guess with a shirt you cant do it like jeans and not wash it for a year lol
Nice pickup.

My most recent purchase is the TOJ1 2011 varsity in black with digital camo lining. It's the same one as the sample photos: http://templeofjawnz.com/?page_id=784. Now, the excruciating wait.

Enron said:
What the hell are you doing? Putting knives in them?
I have big feet. >.>

Just got these Reefs in the mail the other day. Fucking love them.

reef-fanning.jpg

Bit-Bit

Marius_ said:
I tried doing this today, good looking clothes, but holy crap they had barely anything of my size(small), ended up empty handed.

My size is small as well. The key is to go there daily and figure out when they get new shipments in. Because all of the smalls disappear as soon as they arrive.

noire said:
Went nuts with that Macy's sale yesterday...

6 pairs of wool slacks ($45 each, reg $125)
6 dress shirts (~$15 each, regular ~$50)
A sports coat ($37, reg $200)
6 pairs of socks ($14, reg $30)
3 ties ($14 each, reg $50)
2 pairs of Levi's 501s (black and indigo) (~$35 each, reg ~$60)

Then, at Nordstrom, 1 pair of dark brown suede win tip bucks. ($100)

Ended up around $600.
I ended up getting a $500 suit for about $150. It was already on clearance so the 25% did me good. Also picked up two dress shirts, a couple ties, some gold toe socks, and some alfani undershirts. Awesome day at Macy's.

dudeworld

I went to H&M yesterday with my brother. I've looked around in one of their stores before but never found anything I liked. This one was at a different location and I found lots of good stuff . The cheap prices are what surprised me the most.

dudeworld said:
I went to H&M yesterday with my brother. I've looked around in one of their stores before but never found anything I liked. This one was at a different location and I found lots of good stuff . The cheap prices are what surprised me the most.
Ya, I love getting cheap stuff there. It's too bad I'm more of a Marge in their sizes [between medium and large], so I have to settle for the slightly loose fit of their large button up shirts :/

Dr. Strangelove

dudeworld said:
Those low prices come at the cost of quality. Some H&M stuff looks okay, but it's basically good for one wear. The button ups there are extremely poor quality. The tees seem to be okay for the price.

dudeworld

Dr. Strangelove said:
Those low prices come at the cost of quality. Some H&M stuff looks okay, but it's basically good for one wear. The button ups there are extremely poor quality. The tees seem to be okay for the price.
I find it hard to believe clothes they sell are only good for "one wear." I've heard the same story about Aldo shoes, yet my Aldo shoes have lasted years

noire

Unconfirmed Member
RJNavarrete said:
I ended up getting a $500 suit for about $150. It was already on clearance so the 25% did me good. Also picked up two dress shirts, a couple ties, some gold toe socks, and some alfani undershirts. Awesome day at Macy's.

Man, I balked on the suits but there were some awesome deals. Figured I needed to concentrate on the foundations for right now.

Dr. Strangelove

dudeworld said:
I find it hard to believe clothes they sell are only good for "one wear." I've heard the same story about Aldo shoes, yet my Aldo shoes have lasted years
I've purchased multiple button-ups from there before-- one wash renders them unwearable. The materials are really cheap.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
I'm having a lot of trouble finding a suit that fits well. I have an "athletic" build (broad shoulders, slimmer waist) but also some size in my thighs/glutes from deadlifts and squats.

I found a suit at Nordstom that fit me like a glove (tailor with 27 years experience said she wouldn't need to alter it at all off the rack), but the pants were too tight in the seat, there wasn't enough fabric to let it out enough, and they wouldn't mix and match pants/jackets at different sizes : (

Any brands y'all would recommend? Trying to stay at or under $300 but will spend up to $500 if the fit and quality is right. Can't afford a custom suit unfortunately.

Dr. Strangelove said:
I've purchased multiple button-ups from there before-- one wash renders them unwearable. The materials are really cheap.
What do you call unwearable? I've got a few button-downs from H&M that I've had for about nine months that are holding up pretty well--a liiiittle bit of color fade but nothing noticeable.

noire

Unconfirmed Member
404Ender said:
I'm having a lot of trouble finding a suit that fits well. I have an "athletic" build (broad shoulders, slimmer waist) but also some size in my thighs/glutes from deadlifts and squats.

I found a suit at Nordstom that fit me like a glove (tailor with 27 years experience said she wouldn't need to alter it at all off the rack), but the pants were too tight in the seat, there wasn't enough fabric to let it out enough, and they wouldn't mix and match pants/jackets at different sizes : (

Any brands y'all would recommend? Trying to stay at or under $300 but will spend up to $500 if the fit and quality is right. Can't afford a custom suit unfortunately.

Have you checked out the suits separates rather than the ones bundled together? That way you can get the jacket and pants sizes you need.

Completely unrelated, but I just found out that I get corporate discounts to Jos A Bank and Brooks Brother. Never through to check my employee benefits for clothing stores.

Another completely unrelated note: Nordstrom Rack is having a 75% off sale starting tomorrow. Details

Doytch

Dr. Strangelove said:
I tend to buy summer button-ups from them. The super lightweight (read: cheap) materials are what saved my ass in my first southern summer. Nice colourways too, at least the stuff I bought in Europe.

I kinda wish it didn't have the breast pockets actually. I feel like it would look better.

I have tried it on though. It fits very well, so that's definitely one I'm considering.

entremet

Sean2 said:

Uniqlo.
Etrian Oddity said:
Anyone have recommendations for classy, affordable sunglasses? I don't want to throw down upwards of $100 for Ray-Bans or Oakleys.
American Optical will last you forever if you take care them. They're 74 bucks. Not cheap, but not 130 like some Raybans, but don't cheap out, just save a bit more.

http://www.aoeyewear.com/documents/flight_gear.html

Desi

Dr. Strangelove said:
dude, fix your fucking broken washing machine.

CatPee

Alright fashion-GAF, I've got some job interviews coming up. As a dashing young man of 16, what would be the best combination of clothes to look professional while not looking too serious at the same time?

noire

Unconfirmed Member
CatPee said:
Alright fashion-GAF, I've got some job interviews coming up. As a dashing young man of 16, what would be the best combination of clothes to look professional while not looking too serious at the same time?

What kind of job? I got by in my teens with just a shirt, tie and khakis or slacks.

Leunam

Notrollious said:
I kinda wish it didn't have the breast pockets actually. I feel like it would look better.

I have tried it on though. It fits very well, so that's definitely one I'm considering.

Where? That's basically what I've been looking for.

noire

Unconfirmed Member
CatPee said:
The usual; grocery store and fast food.

Oh, yeah, then a shirt and khakis or slacks with nice shoes. Tie for bonus points.

Don't forget to iron the shirt and pants.

LordCanti

CatPee said:
The usual; grocery store and fast food.

Slacks and a formal shirt w/tie should be fine. I applied for a job at Best Buy once (I got it...I quit after orientation) and I was the only person that showed up in anything other than street clothes. Pretty sure that's why I got picked instead of everyone else (I was...mmm...probably 16 at the time, actually).

I wouldn't spend a lot of money to dress up though. You'll look silly applying for a slightly above minimum wage job in anything too fancy. They'll appreciate a little bit of professionalism though, it will show them that you aren't going to be a problem.

Thought I'd take a pic of new shirt/tie/pants I got and wore to work. I got a good amount of new clothes recently, I'll try and update you guys when I wear them to work and get feedback.

2uf5ykh.jpg

Also... that's the only way I know how to tie a tie, but would definitely like to learn how to have a smaller knot on the top. I believe all I can do is a windsor. Anyone know of a better one?

Dr. Feel Good said:
Thought I'd take a pic of new shirt/tie/pants I got and wore to work. I got a good amount of new clothes recently, I'll try and update you guys when I wear them to work and get feedback.

2uf5ykh.jpg

Also... that's the only way I know how to tie a tie, but would definitely like to learn how to have a smaller knot on the top. I believe all I can do is a windsor. Anyone know of a better one?

Four-in-hand/Double four-in-hand

Dr. Feel Good said:

2uf5ykh.jpg

Shirt needs collar stays or something to keep the collar down right.

Pants look loose/relaxed, which looks a bit... idk... juvenile? Look for something with a better fit.

That knot works perfect with that wide a tie, so don't stress it.

For the love of Professor Badass, I hope you were wearing dark brown shoes.

Other than that, good color combo. Next time, though, I'd go with logo-free shirts. They look classier/grown up.

snoopen

Dr. Feel Good said:

Looks good but the tie is a little too long, the tip should be just touching the top of your belt. i'd also recommend going for a skinny tie for more casual wear..the colour combo is good but i think it's a little too formal

hopefully you aren't as stiff in real life as you are in the photo :) looking good in clothes is one thing, but you need to be confident / loose in them.. just a random observation.

Jake.

1. shirt is too big, especially at the sleeves - way too billowy and too much stacking. shoulder seams look like they are hanging off.
2. collar is sloppy.
3. tie is too long.
4. pants are the wrong colour for that shirt.
5. pants are too big - looks like a) they are cut badly and b) they are too big for you around the waist. lots of excess material but ironically they 'work' in the sense that the shirt is too big anyway.
6. the whole outfit makes you look 5kg heavier than you actually are.

i am guessing you want to project a 'professional' image - to me it projects a kid dressing up in his dads clothes.

i did that for your own good - i dressed like ass years ago (as did most people) until i got a clue. the only way you will improve, as with anything i guess, is if people point out the flaws.

Dr. Feel Good said:

[http://i54.tinypic.com/2uf5ykh.jpg[/]

Here you go... http://www.tie-a-tie.net/ I stick with the half-windsor for most ties, unless I'm wearing a skinny tie, then I do Four in Hand.

Enron

Banned
Jake. said:
1. shirt is too big, especially at the sleeves - way too billowy and too much stacking. shoulder seams look like they are hanging off.
2. collar is sloppy.
3. tie is too long.
4. pants are the wrong colour for that shirt.
5. pants are too big - looks like a) they are cut badly and b) they are too big for you around the waist. lots of excess material but ironically they 'work' in the sense that the shirt is too big anyway.
6. the whole outfit makes you look 5kg heavier than you actually are.

i am guessing you want to project a 'professional' image - to me it projects a kid dressing up in his dads clothes.

i did that for your own good - i dressed like ass years ago (as did most people) until i got a clue. the only way you will improve, as with anything i guess, is if people point out the flaws.

The shirt looks fine except for the collar. Not everyone is perfectly proportioned so we can wear shirts right off the rack and look like catalog models. Could the shoulders be a bit narrower? Sure. Its not so bad that it looks awful.

The color of the chino is fine. They do look like they are cut odd, however.

I would shorten up that tie a tad.

That belt doesn't look right. It looks too big for chinos, like it was a denim belt or something. Especially that buckle, seems a bit loud.

If he goes out wearing that outfit, 90% of people will think it's fine. It's not off so much that it looks sloppy. Styleforum might disagree, but they aren't normal people!

Doytch

Speaking of collar stays, anyone have tips on getting shirts without holes for them to stay proper? Can never get a nice effect like you get with something like Wurkin Stiffs by just buttoning up the top button when hanging the shirts.

I might end up trying Wurkin Stiffs' Polo Stays since they say they can be used like that, just want to see if anyone has experience with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom