• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

noire

Unconfirmed Member
A co-worker just pointed out that the (new) pants that I wore in today have a piece of fabric stitched into the ass seam.

So, I get to be self-conscious about my tail for the rest of the day.

Will be exchanging these tonight for a pair that doesn't have the defect.

Jake.

Enron said:
The shirt looks fine except for the collar. Not everyone is perfectly proportioned so we can wear shirts right off the rack and look like catalog models. Could the shoulders be a bit narrower? Sure. Its not so bad that it looks awful.

The color of the chino is fine. They do look like they are cut odd, however.

I would shorten up that tie a tad.

That belt doesn't look right. It looks too big for chinos, like it was a denim belt or something. Especially that buckle, seems a bit loud.

If he goes out wearing that outfit, 90% of people will think it's fine. It's not off so much that it looks sloppy. Styleforum might disagree, but they aren't normal people!

it does look sloppy as fuck, but you are in right that to most people it will look fine. most people don't give a shit how they look and in terms of a business environment can be proven by the amount of totally ill-fitting suits out there.

if he had a well fitting light blue oxford without a tie, then the colour of the chinos would be fine. but, he has a navy blue tie as well so it messes up the palette entirely.

you don't need to be a 'catalog models' to get a shirt that fits properly. you just need to research more, and if needed, get the shirt/trousers tailored (hardly a huge expense).

Jake. said:
it does look sloppy as fuck, but you are in right that to most people it will look fine. most people don't give a shit how they look and in terms of a business environment can be proven by the amount of totally ill-fitting suits out there.

if he had a well fitting light blue oxford without a tie, then the colour of the chinos would be fine. but, he has a navy blue tie as well so it messes up the palette entirely.

you don't need to be a 'catalog models' to get a shirt that fits properly. you just need to research more, and if needed, get the shirt/trousers tailored (hardly a huge expense).

I appreciate the advice. I'm not sure how it looks terribly sloppy, the pic was taken after work so I'll give that to the collar problem. But I guess there's room to be informed. How does the navy throw off the palette?

As for the shirt size I don't really know what to do there. I'm not going to get everyone of my shirts tailored, that just seems irrational and overly expensive. Keep in mind I'm a bit taller than most at 6'2 so shirt sizes can be iffy at times. I have felt the waist area in some of my shirts is too big, but I feel like that's because a lot of companies don't make their shirts in athletic fit.

Pants I'll agree should be tailored and these are brand new and have not been tailored, but I feel like the angle of the picture makes them appear "off" because when I look at them don't look bad at all. Again though, tailoring simply isn't always an option with all the other expenses in my life. *shrug*

I'll post what I wear tomorrow and let's see if we can improve. :)

I don't agree with Jake about the colour of your chinos and how it affects the palette. Blue and khaki are one of the most basic colour combinations for menswear. With good reason too as they look good on mostly everybody and are often used as a neutral canvas. That means a lot of colours will work with the blue shirt and khaki chinos outfit, especially navy which is possibly the most versatile colour in clothing.

In my opinion the color palette is simply ok. Not stellar, but certainly not horrible. I'm one to put fit above all, though, as fit is paramount in my opinion. Here are some examples of khaki looks I like.

TULYE.jpg

Bowtie is a little flashy for my tastes, but this would be pretty nice with something solid:

JT9FI.jpg

b6LMi.jpg

VPGe7.jpg

Obviously sans the shoes.

uLOfx.jpg

It's time to retire some of my jeans, so I'm in need of a few new pairs. What are some good slim, but not tight, jeans out there? I'm 5'9", 32" waist, 155 - 165lbs.

Also, I still can't get over how bad the thread title is.

Visceir

Dr. Feel Good said:
As for the shirt size I don't really know what to do there. I'm not going to get everyone of my shirts tailored, that just seems irrational and overly expensive. Keep in mind I'm a bit taller than most at 6'2 so shirt sizes can be iffy at times. I have felt the waist area in some of my shirts is too big, but I feel like that's because a lot of companies don't make their shirts in athletic fit.

I get my more formal button-downs that is specialized on button-down shirts and only sells those. I put off buying a white shirt for 6 months because they didn't have the kind I wanted...I'm pretty sure I was the main reason they even ordered them after several requests, haha.

My point is that it can be really problematic to find the right shirt but once you do it's oh-so-worth-it.

h3ro

eLZhi said:
It's time to retire some of my jeans, so I'm in need of a few new pairs. What are some good slim, but not tight, jeans out there? I'm 5'9", 32" waist, 155 - 165lbs.

Also, I still can't get over how bad the thread title is.

Poster is banned, but I'm sure there are others with the same question.

Official Denimhead thread

Lot's of great info in that OP.

Doytch

Dr. Feel Good said:
I appreciate the advice. I'm not sure how it looks terribly sloppy, the pic was taken after work so I'll give that to the collar problem. But I guess there's room to be informed. How does the navy throw off the palette?

Pants I'll agree should be tailored and these are brand new and have not been tailored, but I feel like the angle of the picture makes them appear "off" because when I look at them don't look bad at all. Again though, tailoring simply isn't always an option with all the other expenses in my life. *shrug*

I'll post what I wear tomorrow and let's see if we can improve. :)
I just always assume a shirt I buy online will need tailoring and factor that into the cost. If I'm trying it on, unless I'm knocked out by the fit, it gets tailored. Find a good tailor, and that $10-$15 per shirt will make you feel way more confident, and you'll look way better. Get your second-favourite shirt tailored, and see if it becomes your favourite. It'll be a good way to see the difference it makes. You probably don't need everything tailored, especially if you wear a jacket and can fold the back into your pants, but I'd say give it a shot.

adam.chance

Neo Member
I have slowly been adding basics to my wardrobe and building an adult collection of clothes. What can I do about sweatshirts? I have a few sweaters from Banana Republic, a cardigan, and a pea-coat that badly needs to be tailored. Are sweatshirts okay to wear? Where can I buy some good ones without any logos on them?

LordCanti

adam.chance said:
I have slowly been adding basics to my wardrobe and building an adult collection of clothes. What can I do about sweatshirts? I have a few sweaters from Banana Republic, a cardigan, and a pea-coat that badly needs to be tailored. Are sweatshirts okay to wear? Where can I buy some good ones without any logos on them?

I don't think any of my sweaters from Banana Republic have a logo on them. We're past the time of the year where Banana Republic has cheap sweaters though (they had a lot more during June/July clearances). If you're fine with paying full price, I like their merino wool sweaters as layering pieces (I generally put a sweater over a button up, and then a jacket over that, with khakis or jeans). If you are planning on layering, the thinner the better.

If you are paying full price, the world is your oyster. Banana Republic, J Crew, Macy's, Saks, etc. I like H&M's stuff as well, but they don't sell online, and there isn't a store in the area.

This is pretty much what I do with cardigans: http://www.jcrew.com/mens_feature/catalogjcrewcomexclusives/sweaters/PRDOVR~48608/48608.jsp (except I pay...>$20 for mine, not $75)

If you mean "is it alright to wear sweatshirts?" in the context of for a job, you'd have to check with your co-workers. If you mean in general, then yeah, it's okay. Just don't go for any argyle sweaters (unless they look good on you for some reason), or thick grandpa sweaters, and you should be fine.

adam.chance

Neo Member
I was able to get some good deals on sweaters at my local Banana Republic the other day. I am planning on doing the same thing with the cardigan that you suggested. I have always thought it looked nice.

I was just asking if sweatshirts were okay to wear in general. I didn't know if they give off too much of a "kid" vibe.

Desi

I am going to the +J launch but have decided to not purchase anything. Trying to be economically responsible and junk.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Shoe wrinkles are the kind of thing I get accustomed to after, like, a year. Up until that point, though, they bug me and I'd almost rather just have the shoes sitting in a glass display case just to admire, hah.

Metallic shoes are completely absurd and not exactly anything that I would wear on a regular basis, but God, I fucking love them. These silver Paul Smith oxfords also turn me on somethin' fierce. Hnnnng.

LGaxE.jpg

Cosmic Bus said:
Shoe wrinkles are the kind of thing I get accustomed to after, like, a year. Up until that point, though, they bug me and I'd almost rather just have the shoes sitting in a glass display case just to admire, hah.

Metallic shoes are completely absurd and not exactly anything that I would wear on a regular basis, but God, I fucking love them. These silver Paul Smith oxfords also turn me on somethin' fierce. Hnnnng.

LGaxE.jpg
can't do those purple laces, though, my guy. nope nope nope won't do it.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
RJNavarrete said:
can't do those purple laces, though, my guy. nope nope nope won't do it.

Haha, that's an essential part of the equation! This is like when you shot down the pic of those purple mocs further up in the thread and it was like an arrow through my heart.

macuser: Hmm, I'd definitely be interested to hear how that works out. Apparently you could use metallic leaf, too, for a really over-the-top effect: http://www.thedandyproject.com/2011/02/diy-copper-leafed-shoes.html

5456849120_bf8d1e970d_b.jpg

BTW, I'm thinking of fitting my closet with wooden hangers. They would at least do my shirts and jackets some good, right? Due to the wider nature of them, I'd wager that shirts/coats/jackets would keep their form better.

Kind of cool, not sure why s/he foiled the sole. I would have picked a less ornate shoe, but that's just me.

I hang my suits and heavy jackets (winter shit & leather) on more substantial hangers. Shirts get the plastic treatment. Tees and sweaters get nicely stuff in a drawer.

macuser1of5 said:
Kind of cool, not sure why s/he foiled the sole. I would have picked a less ornate shoe, but that's just me.

I hang my suits and heavy jackets (winter shit & leather) on more substantial hangers. Shirts get the plastic treatment. Tees and sweaters get nicely stuff in a drawer.
Yea, I'm starting to just fold my shirts/sweaters now, too. I realize I don't really need to hang tees and v-necks, especially because my closet space is at a premium now that I have nearly 25 dress shirts alone.

Desi

I loved when at the Dandyproject he used ribbon for laces to mimic the Lanvin shoes. Was going to do it last winter for a New Years Eve party but ended up against it.

Luscious LeftFoot said:
Making my way through season one now, this is great.

I'm doing the same thing, they've already convinced me to spend a ton of money on new clothes and I'll certainly put some money towards the creation of season 2.

LordCanti

Etrian Oddity said:
My friends all make fun of me because I wear Brooks Brothers and Perry Ellis preppy shit instead of Vans/Express skater shit. XD

Don't let the man keep you down. By the man in this case, I guess I mean the anti-man....the man that wants to ride a skateboard all over town...

Here's my consumer whoring preppy addition for the day. $15, and $10 respectively. Not pictured; A cardigan that looks similar to this one (http://www.abercrombie.com/webapp/w...Id=12206&topCategoryId=12202&productId=801736) that was $30 (except it looks more like an old letterman jacket, with a big letter A, not the A&F logo).

(I should mention that I'm in college, and that these are age appropriate.)

H6DyWl.jpg

lEOWQl.jpg

LordCanti said:
Don't let the man keep you down. By the man in this case, I guess I mean the anti-man....the man that wants to ride a skateboard all over town...

Here's my consumer whoring preppy addition for the day. $15, and $10 respectively. Not pictured; A cardigan that looks similar to this one (http://www.abercrombie.com/webapp/w...Id=12206&topCategoryId=12202&productId=801736) that was $30 (except it looks more like an old letterman jacket, with a big letter A, not the A&F logo).

H6DyWl.jpg

lEOWQl.jpg
First is solid/ok. Second, though, uuuuugh. Not sure if I'd cop even at that price.

LordCanti

RJNavarrete said:
First is solid/ok. Second, though, uuuuugh. Not sure if I'd cop even at that price.

The second one looks like something a muscly douche would wear, but it's actually pretty nice in person (it has a hood that can't be seen in the picture, and is quite soft).

It's shallow as hell, but my female friends tend to like the cheap stuff I buy from A&F. It's ridiculous at $100 for a hoodie, but for $10, I don't mind being a walking douchey billboard for their douche brand, as long as women don't look at me and think that of me (which is a shallow thought in and of itself, obviously).

I usually buy their clearance stuff that doesn't actually have their logo on it, but I liked the first hoodie enough that I'm willing to suffer. Second one was just so cheap that I figured I could give it away as a gift if it looked awful on me.

Doytch said:
I just always assume a shirt I buy online will need tailoring and factor that into the cost. If I'm trying it on, unless I'm knocked out by the fit, it gets tailored. Find a good tailor, and that $10-$15 per shirt will make you feel way more confident, and you'll look way better. Get your second-favourite shirt tailored, and see if it becomes your favourite. It'll be a good way to see the difference it makes. You probably don't need everything tailored, especially if you wear a jacket and can fold the back into your pants, but I'd say give it a shot.

Yeah so I guess on some of my more regular fit shirts I'm going to get tailored down, because I went in today and they said I could easily take out 6 inches in the waist area, and then even more among the arms. I'm going to test out one shirt (went to a more classy place and are doing it for $22) and see how that goes and then try out a more local place that is run by an old lady who does it for $8 and if she can deliver I'll have no problem paying that to get all my shirts custom fit.

Appreciate the help on that guys, honestly never even knew people tailored button up shirts, thought that was mostly reserved towards suit coats and pants.

Alucrid

Banned
LordCanti said:

They both look pretty bad imo. Also, I've learned not to take female friend's advice on fashion seriously.

LordCanti said:
The second one looks like something a muscly douche would wear, but it's actually pretty nice in person (it has a hood that can't be seen in the picture, and is quite soft).

It's shallow as hell, but my female friends tend to like the cheap stuff I buy from A&F. It's ridiculous at $100 for a hoodie, but for $10, I don't mind being a walking douchey billboard for their douche brand, as long as women don't look at me and think that of me (which is a shallow thought in and of itself, obviously).

I usually buy their clearance stuff that doesn't actually have their logo on it, but I liked the first hoodie enough that I'm willing to suffer. Second one was just so cheap that I figured I could give it away as a gift if it looked awful on me.

I mean I hate to say no to clothes based just on brands, but honestly I won't really wear anything Abercrombie & Fitch regardless of whether or not the logo/name shows. Your money can just buy much better clothes.

LordCanti

Alucrid said:
They both look pretty bad imo. Also, I've learned not to take female friend's advice on fashion seriously.

If it were just female friends that didn't want to hurt my feelings, that would be one thing. I've gotten a lot of compliments on what Manshion-GAF would call "pretty bad" fashion attire though, from women that had no reason not to tell me I looked like crap.

You've got to realize that a lot of college kids show up in a ratty old t-shirt and jeans that don't fit very well. By comparison, I look like I've just stepped out in tailored suits.

Not that my entire wardrobe is A&F or hoodies or anything. It is all generally stuff that I've purchased on sale due to my limited collegiate budget though. I couldn't do better for $10-$15 a pop.

Dr. Feel Good said:
I mean I hate to say no to clothes based just on brands, but honestly I won't really wear anything Abercrombie & Fitch regardless of whether or not the logo/name shows. Your money can just buy much better clothes.

I dislike A&F out of principal (they've done some outrageous things to overweight employees) and I avoid logo's out of not wanting to be a walking advertisement, but these are actually quite well made, for less than what I pay for cheap, low-quality t-shirts a lot of the time.

I think my photography is making them look a lot uglier than they are in reality.

CFMOORE! said:
I have to agree on those hoodies being terrible. A&F alone make them not worth buying, regardless of price. you could find less douchey stuff for the same price that is more subtle and will look good. you just have to probably put slightly more effort than just strolling into the the mall and walking into an A&F store.

...What other hoodies that aren't complete garbage am I going to find for $10 and $15? O_O

I don't want to seem defensive about what is probably 1/100th of my wardrobe, but good God.

(I kind of do hate the second hoodie the more that I look at it...damn you all :p I'll keep it as a hoodie to jog in when it's 0 degrees outside though)

CFMOORE!

I have to agree on those hoodies being terrible. A&F alone make them not worth buying, regardless of price. you could find less douchey stuff for the same price that is more subtle and will look good. you just have to probably put slightly more effort than just strolling into the the mall and walking into an A&F store.

Doytch

Logo-wise, wtf is with those god awful Big Pony shirts from Polo? My face distorts in disgust whenever I see them. The US Open is nigh-unwatchable because of this.

BTW, 30% sale on JCrew sale/factory items with code LOVEIT. Picked up a cotton-cashmere cardigan and merino v-neck for $90 shipped/taxed.

Also, anyone know any good daily-rotation/beat-em-up brown wingtips (boots or regular brogues) with leather soles, or at least something without a gigantic rubber sole?

Visceir

LordCanti said:
The second one looks like something a douche would wear

Sorry but both of them do actually. And your female friends liking them is more of an indication of their bad taste. "Walking douchey billboard" - see, you even admit it yourself :D

Style wise hoodies are generally a bad idea, especially the kind with those pouchpockets in the front and big logos on them.

Having said that, it's ok to own that kind of clothing, especially if you got it for that cheap. I'd personally probably avoid wearing that outside my own home though, unless I'm going jogging or doing other physical activities. You just have to accept that some forum snobs who are a bit more into fashion won't like them...at all.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
LordCanti said:
I've gotten a lot of compliments on what Manshion-GAF would call "pretty bad" fashion attire though, from women that had no reason not to tell me I looked like crap.
Most people have awful taste though. Typically the rule of interwebz men's fashion is-- if average people tell you that you look nice, you probably don't.

I think the only hoodie I have at this point is one I bought at a Boris show a few years ago.

LordCanti

Visceir said:
Sorry but both of them do actually. And your female friends liking them is more of an indication of their bad taste. "Walking douchey billboard" - see, you even admit it yourself :D

Style wise hoodies are generally a bad idea, especially the kind with those pouchpockets in the front and big logos on them.

Having said that, it's ok to own that kind of clothing, especially if you got it for that cheap. I'd personally probably avoid wearing that outside my own home though, unless I'm going jogging or doing other physical activities. You just have to accept that some forum snobs who are a bit more into fashion won't like them...at all.

Oh I accept it. It's the idea that I could do better for $10-$15 that really blew my mind :p The only place that cheap is really Forever 21 mens, which isn't known for the best quality. I scour sales all the time trying to find deals like this because my budget simply doesn't allow me to spend much more. I'm wearing their clothes, and even I'll admit that the ones with a logo on them are douchey, but the quality isn't poor at the very least.

I get the A&F hate though. I'm only a few years out of HS, and I can remember pretty much every asshole kid (male or female) being decked out in their A&F finery. The difference is that those dickbags paid full price (parents did anyway), and I paid like...80% off :p Also, I'm not a douche.

Dr. Strangelove said:
Most people have awful taste though. Typically the rule of interwebz men's fashion is-- if average people tell you that you look nice, you probably don't.

I think the only hoodie I have at this point is one I bought at a Boris show a few years ago.

I don't have very many hoodies compared to logo-less cardigans and sweaters (from all manner of brands). Having said that, women my age are just as happy with a man in a hoodie as they are with a man in much more fashionable attire (at my university anyway). I'll probably burn them after college, but they work for now.

CFMOORE!

I'll admit I probably jumped the gun on saying you can buy something of equal quality at the same price, but I'd rather pay an extra $10-$15 per item to be more satisfied knowing I am not wearing A&F crap or typical douchey styled clothing.

CFMOORE! said:
I'll admit I probably jumped the gun on saying you can buy something of equal quality at the same price, but I'd rather pay an extra $10-$15 per item to be more satisfied knowing I am not wearing A&F crap or typical douchey styled clothing.
Precisely.

macuser1of5 said:
Well... How old are you and what does it look like?
I'm 22 and in college. I wear mostly Brooks Brothers, US Polo, and Perry Ellis; but I wear a select few Izod polos.

I couldn't find most of the product images, but basically the chino style in pastel colors. All are at the knee (I don't show thigh), and bear in mind I don't tuck my shirt in like these models. :p

41MH7801_454_A.jpg

::edit:: I also have these in the Gold. XD

CFMOORE!

^ i personally like the whole prep/brooks bros type stuff but I feel like it is very situational given their typical color palette. Like when I see those color combos and styles I just want to be in new england on a nice beach house or sailing a fucking boat around there.

here in LA it would look silly in my opinion. so i stick to very neutral colors in what I wear.

edit: just saw your edit, holy mother of christ, my point exactly regarding color. best of luck to you if you aren't in the situations i described above and are in an urban city environment.

Etrian Oddity said:
I'm 22 and in college. I wear mostly Brooks Brothers, US Polo, and Perry Ellis; but I wear a select few Izod polos.

I couldn't find most of the product images, but basically the chino style in pastel colors. All are at the knee (I don't show thigh), and bear in mind I don't tuck my shirt in like these models. :p

41MH7801_454_A.jpg

::edit:: I also have these in the Gold. XD
Suspicions kind of confirmed; Izod is for old people dude. Sounds like you're dressing 'mature' but going a bit too far in that direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom