• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL, I didn't know Izod was for an older crowd, although it would make sense why my father likes the brand. XD I like the colors because a) I just do (lol) and b) I feel they bring out the rest of a color in my outfit. I always color-coordinate my outfits to be complimentary.

CFMOORE! I go to college with a visible Greek life, so bear in mind there are a lot of colorful preps around, lol.

I'll add that the most successful fraternities with girls are the ones who exhibit the most obscene frat/prep for the sake of being frat/prep. Not saying it's the reason they get girls obviously, but with how much success they have girls obviously have no problem with it. (The friends who poke fun at my dress are actually my fraternity brothers, as they hold a very counter-culture view to fraternities. They prefer Vans and Express to Sperry and Brooks Brothers.)

Enron

Banned
macuser1of5 said:
Suspicions kind of confirmed; Izod is for old people dude. Sounds like you're dressing 'mature' but going a bit too far in that direction.

Preppy stuff has been around for decades, and it will be around for decades still. It's not "old people", its classic and plenty of young people dress like that as well.

I think that looks fine, so long as you don't wear it outside of summer. Also, don't tuck anything in to it, heh.

LordCanti

Etrian Oddity said:
I'm 22 and in college. I wear mostly Brooks Brothers, US Polo, and Perry Ellis; but I wear a select few Izod polos.

I couldn't find most of the product images, but basically the chino style in pastel colors. All are at the knee (I don't show thigh), and bear in mind I don't tuck my shirt in like these models. :p

41MH7801_454_A.jpg

::edit:: I also have these in the Gold. XD

I....I want to be supportive after having had a dump taken on me trying to support you the last time but....hnnggggggg that color....

Edit: Gah, the gold pants are worse! I'm kind of interested to see what you are doing with those golden pants now, lol.

Enron said:
Preppy stuff has been around for decades, and it will be around for decades still. It's not "old people", its classic and plenty of young people dress like that as well.

I think that looks fine, so long as you don't wear it outside of summer. Also, don't tuck anything in to it, heh.
It isn't the 'preppy' aspect of his outfit that is 'old people', rather the fits and cuts of the stuff he is buying. And izod is straight-up middle age/dad clothing. A 22 year old would look odd in most of it. I see a lot of young people try to stand out by doing this and it usually looks off.

Enron

Banned
macuser1of5 said:
It isn't the 'preppy' aspect of his outfit that is 'old people', rather the fits and cuts of the stuff he is buying. And izod is straight-up middle age/dad clothing. A 22 year old would look odd in most of it. I see a lot of young people try to stand out by doing this and it usually looks off.

What in the hell is wrong with the "fit" of those shorts or the chinos he linked to? They look fine. I don't get this idea that everything has to be skin tight in order to look good.

Who said anything about skin tight being superior? I was talking about izod. The shorts in isolation are 'ok' but would look most certainly look 'old' especially paired with old-man polos and sperrys. Hence the ribbing by friends.

Post an actual outfit pic and let's see?

LordCanti said:
Edit: Gah, the gold pants are worse! I'm kind of interested to see what you are doing with those golden pants now, lol.
Wore them with the small-logo version of this (aka, the less obscene one), sans popped collar.

Mens%20ralph%20lauren%20big%20pony%20polo%20in%20purple%20with%20gold%20pony.jpg

CFMOORE!

Etrian Oddity said:
Wore them with the small-logo version of this (aka, the less obscene one), sans popped collar.

Mens%20ralph%20lauren%20big%20pony%20polo%20in%20purple%20with%20gold%20pony.jpg

i guess at a laker game you'd look like a devoted preppy version of a typical fan.

Doytch

Not sure I can see those pants with any top besides one that's black or a super-dark indigo. It's just way too loud a colour for anything else. And yes, I think the BB model in his white shirt looks off.

I will say that I knew when I bought them that they weren't for everyday use; I pull them out every now and again for a statement, lol. The shorts I do wear regularly, though (and I have a salmon pair).

Any suggestions for Fall/Winter trousers? Like stuff other than Jeans that are casual.

I find it really really really hard to buy jeans as im so picky and I hate buying rubbish jeans that H/M,Topman etc sell but at the same time cant justify £100+ on non sale Nudie jeans etc

RatskyWatsky said:
First few don't look too bad. I might cop some cheaper ones like those to see if I can incorporate them into my fits, and if I like em I'll buy some nicer ones next time...

Johnlenham said:
Any suggestions for Fall/Winter trousers? Like stuff other than Jeans that are casual.

I find it really really really hard to buy jeans as im so picky and I hate buying rubbish jeans that H/M,Topman etc sell but at the same time cant justify £100+ on non sale Nudie jeans etc

Brown corduroys, a pair of Levi's 511 cut, were and still are my favourite thing to wear in F/W. I've been looking into some wool flannels too (a bit dressy, but they feel so soft). Club Monaco has some for 130, but I'm waiting for the sale to drop the tag and then take advantage with my student discount. Other than that, maybe some cavalry twill or moleskin.

Johnlenham said:

I like moleskin as a winter fabric. If you're looking for casual pants, check out stuff with pin tucks running down the leg or some other tiny novelty; gives a tidy appearance without the need for ironing etc. I'm waiting for winter so I can bust out the velvet zipper pants again lol.

I need some advice, I'm looking for some pants that I can wear to work that aren't too formal, yet not too casual either. I end up wearing dark jeans far too often and I need to change that.

Going to get a couple suits fitted, and I'm leaning towards uncuffed. I like my stuff to be fitted, so I'm thinking it will provide a slim/modern silhouette as opposed to cuffed. Thoughts on the subject?

Doytch

RJNavarrete said:
Going to get a couple suits fitted, and I'm leaning towards uncuffed. I like my stuff to be fitted, so I'm thinking it will provide a slim/modern silhouette as opposed to cuffed. Thoughts on the subject?
Always heard if you're not getting pleats, don't get cuffs. And dear god, you're not getting pleats, right?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
What are some good fall or winter colors? What does everyone think of corduroy for bottoms? I had some purple corduroy's when I was little, and I wore the hell out of them. Looking back now, I'm sure it didn't look good at all, and I think that's the reason I've been hesitant to wear cords(this is short for corduroy right?) now.

CFMOORE!

RatskyWatsky said:
What are some good fall or winter colors? What does everyone think of corduroy for bottoms? I had some purple corduroy's when I was little, and I wore the hell out of them. Looking back now, I'm sure it didn't look good at all, and I think that's the reason I've been hesitant to wear cords(this is short for corduroy right?) now.

I've always considered earth tones to be great winter colors. dark greens, browns, orange and yellows that are more subtle. And some deep reds as well, greys I am sure work well as well.

As for cords, I was shopping with my brother and his wife yesterday and we discussed this topic. I think they're fine so long as you fine a nice cut that fit properly.

Doytch

I got my first pair of cords in /years/ a few weeks ago from Bonobos. They're amazing. Fit incredibly well (straight leg), super comfy, pinwheel cords so they're not bulky as shit. I wouldn't pay regular price ($98) for them, but if you grab one of those $50 for $100 things from a Groupon clone like I did, daaaaaamn.

e: Whoops, not pinwale, they're actually "Luxurious Italian Hand Cut Corduroy." I'll take it.

I bought this pair of nikes
43-14205-9-04_pdp.jpg

with inverted colors. Thoughts? I like the way they look and they're fairly comfortable. I'm not sure what material they're made of but it seems durable too.

I really dig simple Nikes; much more than converse/vans/etc. You'd probably also like some of the 'vintage blazers' out there. I have these:

ad1NE.jpg

They're good knockaround shoes. I'm trying to find a white/black swoosh colorway but it is proving kind of hard...

macuser1of5 said:
I really dig simple Nikes; much more than converse/vans/etc. You'd probably also like some of the 'vintage blazers' out there. I have these:

ad1NE.jpg

They're good knockaround shoes. I'm trying to find a white/black swoosh colorway but it is proving kind of hard...

Those look pretty nice. What material is that? sort of looks like suede or canvas. I bought some suede nikes 4 years ago and they held up really nicely even though I was told I'd have to work really hard to maintain them. Looks like those ones would be really good too.

EXGN

So, looking to pick up a pair of dress shoes to wear with jeans when I go to bars/clubs. I'm trying to ride the fine line of quality and price, suggestions? I've heard Aldos are pretty good for what I'm looking for.

Also, what does GAF think about square-toe versus round-toe dress shoes? Or laces versus no laces?

I checked out a friend's aldos the other day; was not impressed, not even for the money. You are genuinely better off with scouring for discounts in your size if price is a concern. Cemented shoes are, IME, just not a good buy. I would avoid square toed shoes entirely (assuming you are talking about "duckbills"). Chisel-toed shoes are hit or miss, but I would stick to rounded toe until you are bored with them.

Re: laces or not, it isn't something I do myself but l high quality loafers and sleek jeans is a good look.

Desi

macuser1of5 said:
I checked out a friend's aldos the other day; was not impressed, not even for the money. You are genuinely better off with scouring for discounts in your size if price is a concern.
he could dick around and try the new Mr. B line *shrug* lets him get a feel of looks and styles. For regular Aldo, these Rude's have a passable look to them. I feel that a lot of clubs don't allow boots of any kind but these Chelsea model Leef's may pass and get him interested in chelsea boots.

Was at the Robert Geller show for NYFW the other day. Oh man, I loved it. S/S was supposed to be so boring and cheap on my wallet too...

Desi

understandable never was a fan of Aldo but used to stop in for two reasons 1) really cute girls 2) designer knockoffs are fun to check out.

The new Mr.B line holds some hope. Classic strong design principle and made in Italy. Socks are from Japan and the hats/leather goods are from Montreal. Though we still can't speak on the working conditions or the quality until we have these in our hands. If I knew about it earlier I would have stopped by an Aldo while I was in NYC. Doubt any in Bmore carry the line.

Maybe it's because I've lived in the sticks and the only places to shop locally are Eddie Bauer, GAP, Sears and Herberger (wtf?) that I am hesitant to get stuff on impulse etc.

Also people, where are the daily wear pics, or pics of anything for that matter? We need images in this thread yo.

Boken

Banned
It's polite when asking for somethig to provide like in return!

We should share our seasons purchases, fashion-GAF. Keep in mind I live in the southern hemisphere so it's spring now (but still damn gloomy weather)

Recently I've obtained:
- burgundy chinos (the thick kind, absolutely love this colour, how have I lived without it)
- black suede chukkas
- a dark teal leather belt
- casual light blue shirt, two pocket detailing
- faded rose chino shorts
- navy cardigan, brown buttons, shawl collar

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Got these weird brown pants at a some auction thing like a year ago. Kinda had forgotten about them until now, but I had nothing to work on today since I need to go supply shopping.

I LOVE the fabric, not sure what era they're from but they seem very 60s, the fabric is amazing. I'm not sure it quite comes through in the photos but its this very iridescent brown/orange/green color.

The pockets are pretty amazing.
u8M7G.jpg

Unfortunately the inside of them is a tragedy. I was examining them and they've been modified/repaired no less than four times.
mPwsN.jpg

They're also way too big for me, in every measurement. I need to bring up the crotch, take few inches off the waist, make the butt smaller, and then make the legs about 2 inches narrower. In fact they need so much work I'm gonna make some SHORTS out of them!

So after I make the cuts and get them down to the right size for some nice biking shorts, I'm going to get rid zipper in favor of a more natural button fly. Considering carving some simple buttons out of rosewood or something. Not really sure, but even more awesome is I'm going to integrate this hemp belt I've had lying around for years and make them primarily a tie-waste.
UC7Fd.jpg

And then lastly I think I'm gonna line them with pink, and possibly even make them a few inches too long so I can roll up the cuff and have the pink border show.
FEodk.jpg

IDK, we'll see how it goes. Its a little ambitious, but should be pretty fly. I've only gotten around to fixing the crotch so far.

^ wait biking shorts? IDK about that man. The material seems like something that can retain heat and I'm not sure you'd want that while biking in the sun. Also looks like it would absorb liquid rather than repelling it. Good luck though, it could end up looking very nice when you're done.

I guess this is the right place to ask this, but is anyone else here really into coordinating their colors? like sometimes I'll have a black jacket with a white shirt underneath, then some black jeans and white shoes and socks and I might have a black and white bracelet or one black bracelet on my right hand and a white one on my right hand. Stuff like that.

Anyway, I've been really getting into doing that and it kind of bugs me when I see people having such weird color combos like someone might have a bright red shirt with some dark brown pants and white running shoes. Stuff like that. Would it be a good idea to encourage my friends to coordinate their colors and if so how do I go about it without looking like a dick? or should I just leave them to do their own thing? one of my friends has actually commented on how I dress and he's trying to coordinate his clothes too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom