• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour |OT| Bring Cursing to the Fore with Mario and Friends!

Clownboat

Banned
Sorry guys, hopped in on a whim and didn't realize you had 4 already.

Seems I've forgotten how to account for wind since the TT days. This course is brutal.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Dear Nintendo,
If you are going to make online tournaments such a big focus that you strip down single player tournaments to one series of three, you really should have made tournament data downloadable so you could still play a tournament when you had to go somewhere offline.

XOXOXO
Galactic Fork

Dear Nintendo,
If you are going to make online tournaments such a big focus that you strip down single player tournaments to one series of three, you really should have made tournament data downloadable so you could still play a tournament when you had to go somewhere offline.

XOXOXO
Galactic Fork
Any tournaments in your ticker on the main menu are accessible and playable offline. You can even save one score for each of them to upload when you have internet access. I've done this before myself.

For private tournaments you have to be connected until you start the tournament but after that you can be offline.

Raptomex

The single player was stripped? I'm asking this as a legit question. This is the first game in the series that I've played and "beat". I use "beat" lightly since I beat the 3 championships. So I guess that's it. Felt short.

Galactic Fork

Any tournaments in your ticker on the main menu are accessible and playable offline. You can even save one score for each of them to upload when you have internet access. I've done this before myself.

For private tournaments you have to be connected until you start the tournament but after that you can be offline.

Hrm... Didn't know that. I figured the connection error when trying to go into tournaments meant they wouldn't work...
It also even works in the Castle club tournies. Just started World 2.

Dear Nintendo,

Awesome response time! Thanks.

XOXOXO
Galactic Fork

The single player was stripped? I'm asking this as a legit question. This is the first game in the series that I've played and "beat". I use "beat" lightly since I beat the 3 championships. So I guess that's it. Felt short.

Well compared to other Mario Golf games it was stripped. My guess is they felt that if they had the 6 billion tournaments they had in Toadstool Tour, the you'd devote less time to the 6 billion online tournaments they keep going. Plus some of the tournaments are sponsered, so they really want you to play those.

multivac

Did you beat all the challenges in Mario Golf mode?

Raptomex

Well compared to other Mario Golf games it was stripped. My guess is they felt that if they had the 6 billion tournaments they had in Toadstool Tour, the you'd devote less time to the 6 billion online tournaments they keep going. Plus some of the tournaments are sponsered, so they really want you to play those.
I do play them basically because I'm not really playing against anyone in real-time. I'm not really a multiplayer guy. But I do enjoy that every time you play you will unlock something.

Did you beat all the challenges in Mario Golf mode?
No but I'm working on them. But that feels more like an "arcade" mode to me than the "story" mode feeling of the Castle Club. But compared to other Mario sports titles, it felt short. Though, I haven't played too many.

The single player's weirdly structured. It's like, the Castle Club is the main area to unlock costumes (and 3 courses of course) while the Mario Golf Challenge mode is where you unlock the Mario World courses, the unlockable characters, and the two unlockable AI difficulties, along with some more costumes.

Like, you have to do 90 Star Coin challenges and 100 Moon Coin challenges in order to unlock the final AI difficulty. So unlocking everything takes a while.

EDIT: It actually takes a lot longer to unlock everything in this game than in past Mario sports games, the home console ones at least.

Jasconius

-11 on Peach Gardens... 4 eagles, 3 birdies, 2 pars.... lol?

Edit: OK much better, -13 with 4 eagles and 5 birdies. Missed the green from the tee on 6 (second hole) but I did have a chip-in from 45y or so on 5 so I guess it evens out!

Galactic Fork

I do play them basically because I'm not really playing against anyone in real-time. I'm not really a multiplayer guy. But I do enjoy that every time you play you will unlock something.

No but I'm working on them. But that feels more like an "arcade" mode to me than the "story" mode feeling of the Castle Club. But compared to other Mario sports titles, it felt short. Though, I haven't played too many.

Well, if you look at the world and regional tournaments as the story mode, then nintendo is providing lots of ongoing content. That's how I'm trying to look at it. And it works out better now that I know you don't have to stay online to play the tournaments.

octopiggy

What actually unlock items to buy in the shop? I have about a dozen or so clubs to unlock but have everything else and I don't seem to be unlocking stuff anymore.

What actually unlock items to buy in the shop? I have about a dozen or so clubs to unlock but have everything else and I don't seem to be unlocking stuff anymore.
Next tier of clubs will be unlocked after you play another fuckton of rounds, and the next seems to require another fuckton of rounds. There have been some theories and coincidences that seem to validate those theories at first, but it really does seem to simply be a fuckton of rounds that's the actual answer here.

octopiggy

Next tier of clubs will be unlocked after you play another fuckton of rounds, and the next seems to require another fuckton of rounds. There have been some theories and coincidences that seem to validate those theories at first, but it really does seem to simply be a fuckton of rounds that's the actual answer here.
Ok. Thanks. Guess I'll just keep playing then!

Robin64

Well done to everyone who took part in NeoGAF Retro #2! The winners were Jascii with -17 and Nigel and Rarbusto with -16.

NeoGAF Retro #3 will take place as soon as Layer-Cake Desert is actually available.

When I went through the main three courses as a trilogy, I always had the notion that a second trilogy would return to them but with increased difficulty, denoted as X. As there's very little running right now (aside from Shark's superb grand tournament, go sign up, but I don't think this conflicts with the style), I'll start it now.

Strongest wind, furthest tees, no star characters. I expect a lot less scores better than -18 this time!
(Which means of course half of you will get better than -22)

UEH2DCi.png

I am currently wrestling with Nintendo Customer Support by email. Their current stance is "no chance" but my comeback is that the checkout process for an eShop code bought at retail repeatedly says you will get the free game. And then doesn't give it to you. There should be separate checkout processes for retail and non-retail codes if that's what they intend to do.

Will keep you informed.
Have there been any developments with regards to this?

BowieZ

Banned
Can someone tell me what to do next? I got first in the three castle club championships, and have attempted the one on one putt thing, what else is there to do?

The Peach Gardens coin thing that opened up is really bizarre - not sure I like it - but is that the next part where stuff unlocks?

AEREC

Can someone tell me what to do next? I got first in the three castle club championships, and have attempted the one on one putt thing, what else is there to do?

The Peach Gardens coin thing that opened up is really bizarre - not sure I like it - but is that the next part where stuff unlocks?

Challenges and tournaments.

Pand

To unlock stuff you should check out the challenges (Quick Round/Mario Golf - Single Player).

It's been a while since this has been posted, courtesy of daydreaming:

BowieZ

Banned
To unlock stuff you should check out the challenges (Quick Round/Mario Golf - Single Player).

It's been a while since this has been posted, courtesy of daydreaming:

Thanks guys. I thought "quick round" meant there was not much to do on that half of the game lol

Well done to everyone who took part in NeoGAF Retro #2! The winners were Jascii with -17 and Nigel and Rarbusto with -16.

NeoGAF Retro #3 will take place as soon as Layer-Cake Desert is actually available.

When I went through the main three courses as a trilogy, I always had the notion that a second trilogy would return to them but with increased difficulty, denoted as X. As there's very little running right now (aside from Shark's superb grand tournament, go sign up, but I don't think this conflicts with the style), I'll start it now.

Strongest wind, furthest tees, no star characters. I expect a lot less scores better than -18 this time!
(Which means of course half of you will get better than -22)

UEH2DCi.png

You should've also got rid of the shot lines, too.

I've been sitting on 110 star coins for a couple days now because this 1st Koopa Park coin challenge has me completely stumped. I know the solution is going to turn out to be much simpler than anything I've tried most likely.

I've been sitting on 110 star coins for a couple days now because this 1st Koopa Park coin challenge has me completely stumped. I know the solution is going to turn out to be much simpler than anything I've tried most likely.
Use a powered-down 1W with a non-star character, using a shroom. Your goal is to ram into the tree and come back out into the fairway while also getting the bomb. The rest is obvious from there.

daydream

Banned
Speaking of stumped, hints for the first Star Coin challenge on Bowser's course would be appreciated. After getting the note block (don't see how you'd do it without it), I can't get the height for the coin, and spending a shot to get some distance nets me the coin on shot 3, bu makest the subsequent (final) shot very difficult.

Use a powered-down 1W with a non-star character, using a shroom. Your goal is to ram into the tree and come back out into the fairway while also getting the bomb. The rest is obvious from there.
I had been trying that but it was never getting all the way back to the fairway.

I'll give it another try, thanks.
Speaking of stumped, hints for the first Star Coin challenge on Bowser's course would be appreciated. After getting the note block (don't see how you'd do it without it), I can't get the height for the coin, and spending a shot to get some distance nets me the coin on shot 3, bu makest the subsequent (final) shot very difficult.
I used the note block to get it with the 2nd shot but it's been so many days I can't remember how. Have you tried every shot/distance combo to get the extra height? Or maybe you're not getting close enough on your initial drive for some reason.

Top Bottom