• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour |OT| Bring Cursing to the Fore with Mario and Friends!

I wonder what Nintendo can do to fix them. Maybe there should be a 4th tier (and maybe even a 5th tier) for handicap tournaments.

I mean, -9 to +15 is a 24 point difference. That is absolutely ridiculous.

Jasconius

Yeah, I thought it would be a nice touch. Not sure what name I'll use for my next attempt though.

EDIT: Just in case anybody is confused, I'm trolling the Americas Low-Handicap Tourney.

I would like to applaud you for that! I knew the leader was trolling but I hadn't realized it was you~ Good job!

EDIT: I guess being from Barbados should have tipped me off, lol

I don't understand handicaps at all. I'm at a +5.4 and don't know if that's good or bad and what I should do to improve it.
Before doing any other Castle Club tournaments, go do the Handicap Tournament one because that handicap is still in the running for Gold and you don't want it to increase any more until you take care of that. And don't actually finish the tourney unless you have a score you're satisfied with because finishing with a not-shitty score in general will improve your handicap.

lt519

At least the world tournament and double peroia are still legit.

Mario open is getting tough too, shot a -8 my first go and that only got me silver. I think a lot of the early adopters have left leaving better competition. Or it is just early.

Yah with my +13 handicap I'd have to shoot a -38 under to get first lol.

lt519

Hah didn't know it was you trolling, but just for that I'm going to call that round weak, -16 that's it? You need to post at least a 30 if you're going to do this.

Hah didn't know it was you trolling, but just for that I'm going to call that round weak, -16 that's it? You need to post at least a 30 if you're going to do this.
That's my eventual plan, but that will require me to do some grinding in Mario Golf mode on a new file so my handicap doesn't raise while I get the gear I need.

lt519

Almost caught you in the retro tourney jascii, left an 50 footer just short on the back in the rain to tie it. I fully expect Mr.g&w to pass us by tomorrow, he always sneaks in there and bumps me out of the top three.

I putted like a maniac though, no chance I'm trying for 18 under on that.

Edit: one day left on the bowsers pursuit tourney, everyone give it a go :)

Camjo-Z

>finally get all the star coins

WOW! I'M GLAD THAT'S FINALLY OVE-

>moon coins

exploding-head.jpg

I shall not be defeated.

OmegaFax

Before doing any other Castle Club tournaments, go do the Handicap Tournament one because that handicap is still in the running for Gold and you don't want it to increase any more until you take care of that. And don't actually finish the tourney unless you have a score you're satisfied with because finishing with a not-shitty score in general will improve your handicap.

Thanks. I think I got it. I'm kind of seeing why the handicap tournaments don't work now.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If I setup a private tourney do the people that are gonna also play in it have to have the course unlocked first or not?!?!?!?!

I guess I don't get the Double Peoria rules. I shot a -15 over the course and scored a -15...
The handicaps in Peoria tournaments aren't determined until after the tournament is over and everyone has submitted their scores. That seems to also be the case here, which makes sense because it means people can't brute force the system. You can still try to game it by bombing 1 to, say, 5 holes on purpose and hoping they are Peoria holes, but that involves luck and can backfire horribly.

Now for the moment of truth...

EDIT: Rejoining. This looks really fucking good. I did the math though and some countries definitely share outfits. I'm so happy that I'm the one who'll get to discover which countries share outfits! ...Wait no I'm not

Jasconius

Now for the moment of truth...

EDIT: Rejoining. This looks really fucking good. I did the math though and some countries definitely share outfits. I'm so happy that I'm the one who'll get to discover which countries share outfits! ...Wait no I'm not
Haha, yeah. I know France and USA have the same outfit - I'm sure any countries who had flags that are the same colors just have the same one ;p

Haha, yeah. I know France and USA have the same outfit - I'm sure any countries who had flags that are the same colors just have the same one ;p
Oh good, I don't have to waste time with France. :D

I think I'll make a spreadsheet to keep track of which countries have which outfit when going through them all to save anybody else who does this nonsense time.

Jasconius

Good game! Some close shots there but some terrible approach shots and putts that *almost* went in...

I got the Barbados combo~ Although it looks kinda yellow/green, I wonder if it's the same as the Brazil one...

Anustart

The handicaps in Peoria tournaments aren't determined until after the tournament is over and everyone has submitted their scores. That seems to also be the case here, which makes sense because it means people can't brute force the system. You can still try to game it by bombing 1 to, say, 5 holes on purpose and hoping they are Peoria holes, but that involves luck and can backfire horribly.

From my reading of the rules, I'm not understanding something correctly. What's stopping someone from just +8ing every hole?

If you +8 every hole you'll just get an E overall.
Good game! Some close shots there but some terrible approach shots and putts that *almost* went in...

I got the Barbados combo~ Although it looks kinda yellow/green, I wonder if it's the same as the Brazil one...
Might be. Sure as hell isn't based off of the Barbados flag.

At least it looks nice.

Jasconius

Just took a quick look at it - looks like you need to use the boomerang to get the bomb and use the bomb to get the coin?

Edit: Yep, with the bob-omb, you can ignore the effect of the heavy rough that you land in and actually hit a 9 iron or so hard enough to get the coin up in the air and still make it onto the green.

daydream

Banned
Caught up with the new tournaments and got the three Albatross-costume. Didn't have much time for this game the past few days, but I'm hoping for some VS. fun over the weekend. :)

Zalman

Sorry if these questions have been answered before, but what's the difference between a good shot and a nice shot? And I got a "great shot" earlier today which allowed me to do an eagle putt. I don't know how or why that happened though. And what's the difference between eagle and birdie?

I played a couple tournaments, my handicap is at 0.

;_; I need the added help.

Edit: +1.5 now, where do I go to get my Wii U clothes?

Edit: In the changing rooms.

daydream

Banned
Sorry if these questions have been answered before, but what's the difference between a good shot and a nice shot? And I got a "great shot" earlier today which allowed me to do an eagle putt. I don't know how or why that happened though. And what's the difference between eagle and birdie?

Well, obviously a good shot is better than a nice shot and so on, but the actual requirements are sort of nebulous, I think (the OP explains some of it, but not too extensively). When you perfectly hit the marker on your power bar and the middle of your sweet spot (the third click), you definitely get a "nice shot!" out of it, you also definitely get a "good shot!" when you get close to the hole with what would have been a "nice shot!". So I'd say there's different scenarios where you always get the same compliments, but since this is more technical, I bet Shark will have a better answer for you.

(Personally, I wouldn't listen to any announcer/character reactions. Your judgement is all that matters, soldier.)

Eagle = 2 under par, that I can tell you. :p (Birdie is one under par.)

Jasconius

Regarding the handicaps, I really think Nintendo designed these as a way for people who are not the absolute best to have a chance to place higher and not be so intimidated by the people who are getting -23, etc and having to get an unachievably low score to get a trophy. I realize that it's completely possible to game the system, but overall this tournament should be good for people who aren't getting gold trophies regularly to have a shot at a higher place.

I don't mind that I don't have a shot at anything higher than silver as long as this isn't the only type of tournament they run. ;p

Top Bottom