• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour |OT| Bring Cursing to the Fore with Mario and Friends!

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Regarding the handicaps, I really think Nintendo designed these as a way for people who are not the absolute best to have a chance to place higher and not be so intimidated by the people who are getting -23, etc and having to get an unachievably low score to get a trophy. I realize that it's completely possible to game the system, but overall this tournament should be good for people who aren't getting gold trophies regularly to have a shot at a higher place.

I don't mind that I don't have a shot at anything higher than silver as long as this isn't the only type of tournament they run. ;p

Yeah, I like the idea, but there should be an ultra low handicap for +5 to +max (not sure how high the plusses go).

darkbanjo

I haven't checked yet, are we still getting the gold trophy?
I don't think I can do better than maybe -21 max >.<

EDIT : Yep, 44th and 46th for now.

Yeah, I'm not sure I can do any better so I'm hoping we can hang in gold position. I happened to be playing when the new tournaments went up, so for around ten or fifteen minutes yesterday I was sitting on No. 1. I wonder how many places I'll drop before it finishes...

Congratulations! Your handicap has increased!

+14.4 -> +14.8

Po1pdMJ.jpg

Yeah, me getting a trophy at any handicap tournament is simply not happening.

Making one's handicap shit again would allow them to place in the handicap tournaments instead of being screwed out of a trophy for, in essence, actually participating in the Castle Club tournaments a lot. It's not really a measure of skill but a measure of if you've beaten the campaign or not, and a lot of people haven't so they have a high handicap but are still in the Low-Handicap class.
Sorry if these questions have been answered before, but what's the difference between a good shot and a nice shot? And I got a "great shot" earlier today which allowed me to do an eagle putt. I don't know how or why that happened though. And what's the difference between eagle and birdie?
Eagle is -2, Birdie is -1. Great Shot means you got on the green within 2 strokes on a Par 5 and are within an acceptable putting distance of the pin. So an Eagle opportunity. Nice-On is the birdie equivalent of that. Excellent means you got the ball on the green in regulation *and* it's within a meter of the pin (Even when playing with yards and feet), so it's an easy tap-in on all but the most cruel of greens.

Good Shots do not preserve Power Shots. Nice Shots do.

When using Auto/Easy:
-Nice Shot is when your button press for power is right on the yellow marker. Good Shot is when it's close, but not quite right on.

When using Manual:
-Nice Shot is when both your button press for power and your button press for accuracy are spot-on. Good Shot is when either of those, or even both, are close but not quite right on.

So Nice Shots are easier to get with Auto/Easy.

donny2112

Man, the handicap tournaments are such hives of scum and villainy. In the "low" handicap tournament, most of the top guys all have 9.0 handicap or worse. And then they shoot -16 on top of the 9 handicap. I'm sitting with a bronze after shooting a pretty good round, and I'm surrounded by other + handicap guys. Not a + handicap guy in the top 10 of this tournament. smh

I applaud the idea of trying to even the playing field by factoring in the handicap, but the top guys would get thrown out for cheating in a real tournament. "Oh, you're a -9 handicap, and you shot a -16 additionally for the round? Get out of here!" :lol :(

Owensboro

Man, the handicap tournaments are such hives of scum and villainy. In the "low" handicap tournament, most of the top guys all have 9.0 handicap or worse. And then they shoot -16 on top of the 9 handicap. I'm sitting with a bronze after shooting a pretty good round, and I'm surrounded by other + handicap guys. Not a + handicap guy in the top 10 of this tournament. smh

I applaud the idea of trying to even the playing field by factoring in the handicap, but the top guys would get thrown out for cheating in a real tournament. "Oh, you're a -9 handicap, and you shot a -16 additionally for the round? Get out of here!" :lol :(

Yeah, that's kind of silly.

On another related note, I kind of hate that you can keep replaying tournaments over and over to get better scores if you want. Should be one try and that's it. I've kind of given up on trying to place anywhere near the top since I only give them one try.

This is OP is an alt of mine. My goal is to eventually do a -30 run with a Japanese flag with the name "Abusable?" for maximum trolling. Reasons I'm doing this:

1) I can't get a gold - heck, I might not even be able to get a trophy period - on my main file so I have to use an alt to get a gold anyways
2) I don't want some random noob who can't play to win so I want to set some standards here. If somebody's able to beat a -21 (before handicap) then I'm fine with them winning
3) I'm a troll IRL so yeah
4) I actually kind of enjoy breaking things >_>

Kouriozan

I also think I won't be able to get a gold trophy in the double peoria one, with my luck I'll get awesome score on the regular holes, and fail the handicap ones.

EDIT : the other way around, I think?

delume

Just finished trying out the demo, what a blast! This will be my first video game purchase in quite awhile. Is there a consensus on buttons vs. stylus? I prefered the buttons but I'm not sure if that means there are some shots I can't make. Cheers!

lt519

I also think I won't be able to get a gold trophy in the double peoria one, with my luck I'll get awesome score on the regular holes, and fail the handicap ones.

EDIT : the other way around, I think?

Yeah you'd want to get double bogeys (max for handicapping purposes) on the 6 holes they randomly choose. Best bet is to pick 1 Par 3, 4 and 5 from each side and double bogey that hole and go for gold on everything else.

Dunbar

I haven't upgraded my Mii at all, even though I've finished the 3 main courses and entered plenty of tournaments. What are the good upgrades to go for first?

cube444

Picked the game up earlier today and just put it in. Chose DK and went to stroke play. Used "manual" shots and ended up with a -7 after the 18 holes.

I noticed that the power shots are a lot harder to hit perfectly when compared to MG:TT on GCN.

Lexxon

Just hopped in myself, under 'Pat'. I'm not great, haven't played much in the last week or so...but want more online matches in!

lt519

Yah when I shot -10 and lose someone had a damn good game.

Blew my eagle putt on that last match, two in a row leaving one putt short has been the difference

Top Bottom