• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour |OT| Bring Cursing to the Fore with Mario and Friends!

bender

What time is it?
Same. I had it down pretty well in HSG for Vita, but yeesh. Can't line up anything correctly yet.

The greens in the demo don't seem to have much slope to them. Reading the greens like you do in Everyone's Golf makes you over-correct.

Not really a fan of how they handle backspin and forward spin. I also wish they'd have a system to tweak power when setting your accuracy.

Kouriozan

The greens in the demo don't seem to have much slope to them. Reading the greens like you do in Everyone's Golf makes you over-correct.

Not really a fan of how they handle backspin and forward spin. I also wish they'd have a system to tweak power when setting your accuracy.
It's true, I played tons of Pangya and same for me, at first I always shoted way too much to the right/left but in reality you can almost shot directly to the hole.

gerudoman

Bit miffed that it has the 15 play limit instead of 30, c'mon Nintendo.
Heh, it could be worse. You could live in Europe and only have 10. I've already wasted 4 uses and don't plan to inmediately buy the game, so it'll probably be the first demo I run out of uses :(

I can't understand why people don't just leave the demo running and close the 3DS. If you quit the program it's your own dang fault!

2 questions:

- Is the online worldwide?

- Is the game worth it for SP alone? (since i've been having trouble with connecting to MK7 matches recently, maybe my router is fucked not sure)

Shadybiz

Got a chance to play the demo today. I like it! Dang, I forgot to take note of my friend code again...will do that tonight. Definitely excited to get the full version, and I think Bowser will be getting a lot of play time.

my god, is putting somehow worse than gbc imo. It's usable, but... yeah i feel like in 2014, there could be a better putting system no?

and figured out the top spins and what not, god damn super top spin GOES, reminds me of that f2p korean golf game (pango? pangya? something).

Owensboro

I messed around with the demo a little last night and it didn't blow me away as much as I was hoping it would. The aiming is just a little to... what's the word... complicated? While I was trying the "hit the ball through the rings and get par" challenge I was having the hardest time figuring out if I was going through the ring, and landing on a fairway, all while avoiding any objects in the world (a giant cactus!). I'm sure it's something that you get used to over time, but I remember it being very easy to see where you shot was going and what path it was taking in Toadstool Tour. Maybe my memory is just fuzzy, like when I could have sworn characters in the original Metal Gear Solid had mouths that moved. Anyway, I digress, at $30 this is going to be a no-brainer.

How do digital purchases end up working when it comes to Nintendo Club points? I usually end up saving them until I have enough to platinum and then enter them all at once. Do purchases on the e-shop even give you a code? If they do, does it instantly add it to your account or do you get an extended time to redeem them? I've already hit Platinum status this year and want to save the points for next year. If it ends up just automatically redeeming them I'll just grab a boxed copy.

I don't understand why anyone would play the same demo 10 times.

Because sometimes you only have 15 minutes to play a course, and there are a lot of courses to check out! Plus, if you're crazy (like me) and keep resetting your first shot until you get it perfect, your time-per-course extends dramatically...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
yeah the demo is putting me off the 'challenge' style courses. It just seems to fiddly to adjust the camera to see where you're likely to end up, and your likely ball trajectory. Plus no preview of how spin will adjust things (couldn't you do that before?)

The main courses seem fine though, but I am a bit concerned if most of the unlockables are hidden behind completing those challenges..

RM8

I'm in love with the demo, day one for sure. It took a bit of time to get used to the controls/camera, but this seems just as awesome as 64 and TT. I love Mario Golf games, it's been so long since TT!

Risgroo

I really enjoyed the demo, think I'll pick this up! Not quite sure if I'll go eShop or retail though. eShop is actually cheaper here(+ I get the GBC game), but I really like that boxart...

Schryver

Tried the demo last night. Definitely enjoyable. The 2DS screen is barely big enough to see everything, especially in the top down camera view, but I can live with it for now.
I agree that the camera makes it hard to see where the shots are going in the air but I think that's supposed to be part of the challenge lol

Anyone know whether there are taunts when playing online with friends?

Also how many people can join a game via friend codes?

None of the reviews I went through mentioned any of these, curious if someone here knows more.

dLMN8R

Is multiplayer asynchronous? Can I start a game with a friend and we just take turns when we have the chance? Or do we both need to be online at the same time?

Effect

Do we know if the online tournaments force manual swing options to keep things fair? You can toggle it off and on in the demo but I can see how things will be unfair if people are allowed to play with the easy option (it's labeled as such) turned on.

Anyone know whether there are taunts when playing online with friends?

Also how many people can join a game via friend codes?

None of the reviews I went through mentioned any of these, curious if someone here knows more.

All of these questions are why I can appreciate NintendoLife withholding any sort of numerical rating in their review. This is going to be the type of game that really earns its wings once all the features have been fully explored, something I don't see as being feasible prior to its proper launch.

Did the ring challenge mode in the demo seem tough as hell to anyone else? It took me near half an hour to beat the level. The camera was a bitch to work with when trying to hit the ball back up the mountain from the lowest ring, and that proved to be the toughest task for me on the level.

All of these questions are why I can appreciate NintendoLife withholding any sort of numerical rating in their review. This is going to be the type of game that really earns its wings once all the features have been fully explored, something I don't see as being feasible prior to its proper launch.
Definitely. I'd like to know more about that mode as that'll likely be my primary reason for playing, and all the reviews published yesterday say jack shit about the online features.

Smilax

So far from the demo, my best scores are

Seaside Course: Mario: -3
Wiggler Park: Yoshi : -3
Yoshi Lake : Yoshi : -3
Peach Garden Challange: Yoshi: -1
Mountain Course Ring Challange: N/A

I'm so excited for this game. Can't wait any longer!

Did the ring challenge mode in the demo seem tough as hell to anyone else? It took me near half an hour to beat the level. The camera was a bitch to work with when trying to hit the ball back up the mountain from the lowest ring, and that proved to be the toughest task for me on the level.

Yeah, I'm having the hardest time going from Ring 2 to Ring 3. I was really close once with Bowser, but its proving to be really challenging.

wrowa

yeah the demo is putting me off the 'challenge' style courses. It just seems to fiddly to adjust the camera to see where you're likely to end up, and your likely ball trajectory. Plus no preview of how spin will adjust things (couldn't you do that before?)

The main courses seem fine though, but I am a bit concerned if most of the unlockables are hidden behind completing those challenges..

You need to clear the challenges to unlock quite a few courses, yes. The challenges are always the same too, so if you don't enjoy those, unlocking stuff might become a pain.

I played the demo and enjoyed it. It looks good and I had no problem with the controls. I'll probably buy it directly from the eShop.

Putting is difficult but it's supposed to be. It takes time to learn how the colors and sloping correlate to affect on the ball. It didn't seem any worse than previous MGs or HSG to me.

I actually got a hole-in-one on that first Par 3 due to dumb, blind luck and I know I'll never be able to pull that off on the full version. I hope it has the standard "Best Shots" feature.

I honestly don't think the challenge courses in the demo are super duper tough or anything. They're about right I say.

For Star Collector you do a short shot onto the fairway and grab the Bullet Bill on shot 2 while landing on that small fairway. Then you select the Bullet Bill, adjust how far you're shooting so you land on the green, and use it to grab the coin. Then you just 2-putt for Par.

For Ring Master you just need good aim and decent putting skills. Your second shot also has to land on the fairway or you're pretty much boned.

Any other Hot Shots Golf fans unable to enjoy this game due to the difference in camera control? It just feels clunky to me. I want to love Mario Golf, as a huge Nintendo fan, but I think the hundreds of hours spent playing Hot Shots Golf have ruined my ability to play this game successfully.

Any other Hot Shots Golf fans unable to enjoy this game due to the difference in camera control? It just feels clunky to me. I want to love Mario Golf, as a huge Nintendo fan, but I think the hundreds of hours spent playing Hot Shots Golf have ruined my ability to play this game successfully.

so the controls are less...precise than HSG or what?

Hindl

I think I'm the opposite of everyone else on the demo. I'm pretty shit on the fairway and teeing off, but unless I'm like 25+ ft away my putts go in on the first try. I really like the demo and it's a lot of fun, I think I'll definitely be checking this out. The camera controls need a lot of improvement but otherwise it's pretty fun. Can't wait for online.

Also, does anyone know if any big chains do a B2G1 free deal around E3? I want to pick this up, but I could wait a month and grab MK8, this and Kirby if possible

I think I'm the opposite of everyone else on the demo. I'm pretty shit on the fairway and teeing off, but unless I'm like 25+ ft away my putts go in on the first try.
Okay, yeah, I think you're not so much the opposite of "everyone else" but are just misunderstanding what people are talking about here. :p

Hindl

Okay, yeah, I think you're not so much the opposite of "everyone else" but are just misunderstanding what people are talking about here. :p

Goddamn maybe I'm ass at putting then actually because in real golf or a game anything that's 30 ft away from the hole I don't expect to go in. Though the camera and terrain overlay isn't helping

kdoll08

You can change the camera so that it doesn't move with you. Hit start when you are on the tee box and turn off the gyro. It helped a lot

Top Bottom