• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour |OT| Bring Cursing to the Fore with Mario and Friends!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Booooo. No saved shots, and no shot trajectory indicator adjustments when putting spin on the ball. This is going to feel like a stripped version of the gamecube game :(

It feels very barebones.

The two things we can take solace in those is at least online seems to be real deal, and they are pricing it right at $30 vs $40 like most Nintendo titles.

I'll be honest if this was $40 I'd probably pass and wait for a price drop. $30 from the get go really helps me say I am in.

I think the added value comes from it being on the go, which is something I almost NEVER say. At this point right now, I can't see myself sitting in front of a TV and investing serious time into a Mario Golf game (though it's not impossible), but when it's on my SD card and I can load it up whenever I want, it'll get a lot of play.

I love the demo, really sold me on it. I could feel myself getting better as I played more, and am now satisfied with my best score on each course being -3

Salsa

you know what sucks about this game? the 3D.

the only time where there's any noticeable effect going on (besides dumb things like dialog boxes or whatever) is when you take the first shot and you're on a hill, which is very clearly in the foreground. Go beyond that and there's no depth to the course at all :/ turn the 3D off if you don't believe me.

With such long courses you'd expect a very cool sense of depth but it's just not there at all.

only complaint about the graphics so far are that, and the fact that it's a jaggie-fest

the only time where there's any noticeable effect going on (besides dumb things like dialog boxes or whatever) is when you take the first shot and you're on a hill, which is very clearly in the foreground. Go beyond that and there's no depth to the course at all :/ turn the 3D off if you don't believe me.

With such long courses you'd expect a very cool sense of depth but it's just not there at all.

only complaint about the graphics so far are that, and the fact that it's a jaggie-fest

I have purchased every Nintendo handheld model except for the gameboy pocket, but if Nintendo's next handheld doesn't have a decent resolution, I'm passing. It has gotten ridiculous. The hole on the green is basically one square white pixel which is unacceptable.

I'm only going to get one 3DS game in the next two months, and it's come down to either this or Kirby.

Based on reactions in this thread, it's starting to look like Kirby.

I can just get HSG for my Vita.

XaosWolf

Decided to get this digital. Regretted not having MK7 and ACNL just on my 3DS, so not messing that up this time.
Free Mario Golf GBC helps too.

Mario Kart 8 digital too! =D

No brainer for me. If you have a Vita there is no reason to get this.

However, I don't have a Vita.

I think you mean, there is no reason not to get HSG for Vita, right?

Regardless, I've been itching for a new arcade-style golf game. I played the HELL out of Open Tee 2 on the PSP...probably my most played PSP game; the kind I just got super addicted to.

I've been on the cusp of getting Mario Golf, but some of the things being said about it have me hesitating.

I just went and checked PSN for the price of Hot Shots Golf World Invitational for Vita, and I had no idea it was so cheap! $13.49!!! So I'm sold on that.

I'll wait until I find a physical copy of Mario Golf somewhere later on down the road (I have a North American 3DS XL, but live in Taiwan, so I'd have to buy this digitally or import).

hmmm some of the complaints really have me irking for a HSG Vita - Mario Golf 3DS comparison now... i have yet to get either but i liked HSG on PSP so...

edit: nevermind apparently HSG Vita is pretty freaking hard, not sure i have time for that kinda challenge, so maybe its MG after all now

Decided to get this digital. Regretted not having MK7 and ACNL just on my 3DS, so not messing that up this time.
Free Mario Golf GBC helps too.

Mario Kart 8 digital too! =D

Those are the exact two that I regretted not getting digital too! I'm selling my physical copies and just buying the digital version (not in that order, I need to transfer the saves first!)

hort22

Booooo. No saved shots, and no shot trajectory indicator adjustments when putting spin on the ball. This is going to feel like a stripped version of the gamecube game :(

yah the saved shots is baffling...every mario golf game has had that...even if it would only save your last best 20 or whatever it was...and with the SD card it should have been a no brainer to save as many replays as your card could store.

the shot trajectory thing sucks as well...just played toadstool tour the other day and that indicator comes in handy on certain holes.

Just played the demo, and it's actually dissuaded me from getting it.

The first problem I noticed right away is that your character will not shut the fuck up when lining up a shot. Within the very first hole, Mario got on my nerves by shouting "Let's a go!", "Let's a play", etc, every 10 seconds. I'm not exaggerating; I timed it. There appears to be no way of switching this off.

The physics are competent enough, but the presentation seems lacking. The graphics and music, while not bad, aren't anything special, and I found both the controls and moving the camera to be fiddly.

I think Everybody's Golf (Hot Shots Golf in the US) has spoiled me. I don't own a Vita, but I've played the Vita version, and it completely outclasses this. If you own a Vita, there's no reason to bother with it.

If it were released at a reduced price here also, I'd probably still get it. But Nintendo want fucking £35 for it (about $50), and the cheapest I can find it for is £27 (roughly $38). So no chance.

Griss

The first problem I noticed right away is that your character will not shut the fuck up when lining up a shot. Within the very first hole, Mario got on my nerves by shouting "Let's a go!", "Let's a play", etc, every 10 seconds. I'm not exaggerating; I timed it. There appears to be no way of switching this off.

The physics are competent enough, but the presentation seems lacking. The graphics and music, while not bad, aren't anything special, and I found both the controls and moving the camera to be fiddly.

I think Everybody's Golf (Hot Shots Golf in the US) has spoiled me. I don't own a Vita, but I've played the Vita version, and it completely outclasses this. If you own a Vita, there's no reason to bother with it.

If it were released at a reduced price here also, I'd probably still get it. But Nintendo want fucking £35 for it (about $50), and the cheapest I can find it for is £27 (roughly $38). So no chance.

Pretty much exactly how I felt when I tried it a week ago. Interesting that more people are coming to this conclusion as more play it. It's just not Everybody's Golf / Hot Shots quality. Doesn't mean it's a bad game, though. I just find the fact that Toadstool Tour looks like it remains a far superior game to be disappointing.

Vanillalite

The lack if 3dizzle sucks but not a deal breaker. It's not noticeable, but oh well.

What is noticeable is the jaggies. Jaggies everywhere. Needs AA badly.

Wouldn't be as big of an issue of the screen wasn't so low res. As it stands though some AA would do this game wonders.

bart64

Banned
I gotta say in response to the spin control, it's more realistic and a better challenge this way. What's the fun in knowing exactly where the ball will go? The spin control in the air is even worse, the first time I saw it in tiger woods it ruined the game for me. Goes from a realistic golf game to a telekinetic flying fairy simulator...

And the resolution is what it is and the game is designed around it. If the designers wanted you to see everything clearly, they would zoom things and adjust the views accordingly. Just like in real golf, you do the best with the information you have and get better over time--a long and frustrating time but when you get a perfect shot you feel like a god.

Vanillalite

In real life my vision doesn't look like a low res jaggie mess.

Let's not give excuses or Nintendo a pass for this even if I'm still gonna buy the game.

bart64

Banned
In real life my vision doesn't look like a low res jaggie mess.

Let's not give excuses or Nintendo a pass for this even if I'm still gonna buy the game.

Well they can't up the res of your 3ds for this game. Just giving them credit for doing well with what's given. They made golf work on NES, they know what they're doing, outside of defying physics.

NotLiquid

After some of the responses in this thread I decided to give the Everybody's Golf demo on the Vita a shot, and to be honest, it hasn't dissuaded me in getting World Tour a bit. If anything, I want it all the more now.

Maybe it's cause I haven't actually played Toadstool Tour and experienced the alleged best iteration of Mario sports ever but I'm mostly confident in World Tour after having experienced what's on offer. The courses look really neat, I like the added gimmicks involved with the shooting and overall if some reviews I trust is anything to go by the game is filled to the brim with content. Couple all of that with supposedly robust online and affordable DLC, I feel like there's a lot of longevity to be gained. For me, the fact that this is Golfing shaped in accordance to Mario's world is still a selling point. Jaggies be damned - the game still looks pretty good. The only thing I'm indifferent about is the audio.

I generally also game more on my 3DS than my Vita so with the option being there I'd much rather get World Tour as a Golf game than anything else.

Kouriozan

I played both series, got HSG for free on Vita and never played a 3D Mario Golf.
I actually like to Mario Golf better, I had so much hard time playing HSG, especially when putting. Didn't felt fun at all and I played for 2 hours because the first impressions might be false :(
Oh and I was a big Pangya player too.

Okamid3n

lol on Yoshi's Lake hole 5 if you miss the bounce pad and hit it into the water they will keep giving you a drop right in front of the pad where you have no choice but to hit around it. What total shit that is. I had to take a +8 because it kept giving me the same ridiculous drop with something right in front of me every single time.

Did you try a shorter club? They go a lot higher. I just tried a few times and it dropped right in front of the pad, but I switched to a shorter club and easily hit above the pad, towards the hole.

You probably tried that and just ended up at a different, even closer drop than me, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Kouriozan

Found a video to illustrate while I'm talking about.
The first green looks rather flat yet you have to putt rather far from the hole, for second green it's exactly what I meant, you need 1000 hours of game time before knowing where to aim :(

Stratostar

I agree. I have been playing a ton of Rusty's Real Deal Baseball (hence my avi) lately, and that game has spectacular 3D visuals. The increased depth perception definitely enhances the gameplay and helps me hit and catch the ball more easily. I think many sports games can benefit from 3D, and it's disappointing to see a golf game made by Nintendo with such sub-par (pun intended) 3D.

Found a video to illustrate while I'm talking about.
The first green looks rather flat yet you have to putt rather far from the hole
It doesn't look flat at all to me. Just look at that grid.

EDIT: MG's putts should be breaking a bit less than HSG's, though, assuming the latest entry's physics are as realistic as I've heard. I played golf for a couple years in high school and MG's putting physics definitely aren't realistic.

Vysetron

Neo Member
I've played this demo way too much over the last couple days. Going to have to pick this up, if only just to see everyone's animations after finishing a hole. And, you know, play inordinate amounts of golf with GAF and whoever else.

Friend Code: 1349-5105-1118, name is Vysetron.

My thoughts exactly. I really wanted to like the game, but the voices, bad graphics, and strange presentation choices dissuaded me.

Is there any way to figure out which way to compensate a shot when putting? I try going with the "slope" but that just seems to mess it up even more. And then gauging the power is useless, I thought hitting the target would be perfect for hitting birdies but not always.

Aside from that I'm really not enjoying this as much as the last HSG I played.

I'm addicted to this demo! I've gotten birdies on every hole with all 4 characters. I need the real game!!

I like peach and bowsers birdie animations

Welcome to the HIO club! \o/
Is there any way to figure out which way to compensate a shot when putting? I try going with the "slope" but that just seems to mess it up even more. And then gauging the power is useless, I thought hitting the target would be perfect for hitting birdies but not always.
If you're not going downhill then you'll always want to increase the power to be "safe".

To figure out which way to compensate I just use the grid. For longer putts I use the camera to get a good read of the grid. For like 70+ footers I switch to overhead, zoom in all the way, and slowly work my way from my character to the hole, compensating according to the grid and how fast I feel the ball is going at that point. I typically either sink it or get very close.

...I've been playing this demo way too much.

EDIT: I don't try to read the actual green anymore because the resolution is way too low for that to actually work.

sonto340

Loved what I played of the demo as soon as I figured out how to switch from Easy Shot mode.

Unfortunately, I can't afford this and Mario Kart this month.
And I am definitely getting Mario kart, so it looks like I'm waiting for this to Drop in price /:

Trying to decide if I should get this on Amazon or pick up from a store on release day. So far, Amazon is not saying when it would ship if you pre-order.

How has Amazon been dealing with these Nintendo Friday release dates? Do they get release day delivery?

Draconian

Trying to decide if I should get this on Amazon or pick up from a store on release day. So far, Amazon is not saying when it would ship if you pre-order.

How has Amazon been dealing with these Nintendo Friday release dates? Do they get release day delivery?

I've bought a couple of Nintendo games from Amazon since they switched the release dates to Fridays and have gotten them like Tuesday or Wednesday, so I wouldn't expect them to ship on release date this time either.

Welcome to the HIO club! \o/

If you're not going downhill then you'll always want to increase the power to be "safe".

To figure out which way to compensate I just use the grid. For longer putts I use the camera to get a good read of the grid. For like 70+ footers I switch to overhead, zoom in all the way, and slowly work my way from my character to the hole, compensating according to the grid and how fast I feel the ball is going at that point. I typically either sink it or get very close.

...I've been playing this demo way too much.

EDIT: I don't try to read the actual green anymore because the resolution is way too low for that to actually work.

Thanks a bunch for the help. I think I'm getting the hang of it the more I play each course. I almost got an eagle, but I'm still thrilled at birdies.

Top Bottom