• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Wasn't MKTV in MK Wii a proper thing where you could actually watch other people and stuff? There was a whole channel for it, right? This game's version of it seems very simple and barebones in comparison, unless I'm misremembering what the Wii one was.

Nakasan

I noticed this too! On Wii U I came in 1st place 90% of the time. Every race I've done on Switch has been rough hahaha. Typically come in 4th.

Presumably a mix of early adopters being core audience plus day 1 Mario karters doubling down on that fact.

Loving this so far though! Load times are super quick.

f@luS

More than a member.
I played just few hours of the wiiu game and before that last MK was 64. Yet I'm always top 3 online. Beside the fucked up ending blue freaking shell before the finish line that can happen sometimes. Worst was 8th because of this.
Running through solo is an hassle a little bit. Finished with 3 stars half of 150Cc cup. And I need to do mirror and 200

RoadHazard

Gold Member
What is the best setup for someone that can't wrap their head around drifting?

The wife is about to give up the game because the vehicles "dont turn good enough."

Lol

Hmm, in MK Wii I remember you could set it to auto-drift, but you then could only get the first drift boost level. Wonder why they removed that. You now have auto steering instead, but as you say, if you don't get how drifting works you're gonna be hugging the walls a lot.

Picked up the game from Best Buy just now.

I tested out the smart steering and auto-acceleration. Both work like a charm and very beginner friendly. Anyone on the fence about this game like I was because you don't know if those features are good enough to bring casual/non gamers to the fold can put those doubts aside.

Smart steering works yet it's also subtle enough not to patronize the driver or make them feel that they're getting help.

Enforced

I got the game. I will play with you all tonight. Hope you guys are prepared when you see me on the race later today.
(Evil laughs)

Picked up the game from Best Buy just now.

I tested out the smart steering and auto-acceleration. Both work like a charm and very beginner friendly. Anyone on the fence about this game like I was because you don't know if those features are good enough to bring casual/non gamers to the fold can put those doubts aside.

I picked up the wheel accessories on Friday for ease of play whenever doing portable co-op. My brother was over with his 3 year old son who loves playing all the old games. I set him up with all the assist controls on and the wheel and he was having fun.

Mandelbo

Hmm, in MK Wii I remember you could set it to auto-drift, but you then could only get the first drift boost level. Wonder why they removed that. You now have auto steering instead, but as you say, if you don't get how drifting works you're gonna be hugging the walls a lot.

I'm fairly sure they integrated the auto drift into steering in MK8 - if you hold a direction for long enough, you'll turn more sharply, but it's not exactly the same as it was before.

I picked up the wheel accessories on Friday for ease of play whenever doing portable co-op. My brother was over with his 3 year old son who loves playing all the old games. I set him up with all the assist controls on and the wheel and he was having fun.

Darn, now I feel I need to get the wheel.

Do you think it's necessary for a child (or non-gamer) even with all the assist features on?

Nakasan

So yeah, load times, resolution and two item 💫boxes are making far more difference than I'd have thought!!

That's my hot take

Firebrand

two items creates a cluster fuck for everyone in the 3-10 range
good times

Pretty much. The 2-3 in front are just cruising, sipping on their drinks.

Behind them is an angry cloud of shells, boomerangs and piranha plants You don't want to go there.

Kinsei

Banned
I had a great game of Renegade Roundup where I rescued 17 people. This is quickly becoming my favorite battle mode in the series.

So yeah, load times, resolution and two item 💫boxes are making far more difference than I'd have thought!!

That's my hot take

Indeed. That resolution has me noticing so much more. I loaded up the U version to see and the difference wasn't that big looking backward. Loading up the Switch version right after.... And the difference is huge to me again.

Also, whenever I turn into a bullet and have an item afterward I'm surprised haha

Kyzer

Banned
Ive never liked Mario Kart this much. The additions in Deluxe and from the DLC really make this game everything I ever wanted. I hope all these characters make it to MK9...in love with tanooki mario and dry bowser

Coffinhal

It never bugs me to get hit by a bunch of stuff online or vs friends, but damn it if it isn't frustrating when you have to win 4 races in a row for the cup and you get bad luck on the last race.

Offline 200cc I got crossed at the last second of the last race, basically at the finish line

Almost smashed by Switch against the wall lol

Ammogeddon

Question; when you press +/- in the vehicle selection screen you sometimes have 3 extra options.

(Y) I believe is toggling between motion or stick streering

(L) Is for an aerial, is it just cosmetic or is it doing something?

(R) God knows but there is a direction arrow pointing forwards from the front of the kart?

13ruce

Banned
Nice in handheld mode you can actually use the touchscreen for the menu and character/course selection.

Don't remember that being possible in Zelda.

Question; when you press +/- in the vehicle selection screen you sometimes have 3 extra options.

(Y) I believe is toggling between motion or stick streering

(L) Is for an aerial, is it just cosmetic or is it doing something?

(R) God knows but there is a direction arrow pointing forwards from the front of the kart?
L is for auto steering and R is for auto acceleration

Top Bottom