• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC |OT| DLC done right

Azuran

Banned
Done for the night. GGs guys!

Hopefully WeekendGAF continues being this awesome every week because it makes up for not being able to play much on weekdays anymore.

Enforced

B7r9lCZCQAA4t9P.jpg

Almost, almost.

nilbog21

Banned
hey guys i finally got this game. i'm a little confused....how does snaking work? do you no longer have to tilt the joystick back and forth to build up your boost? is it just based on how long you are drifting now? thanks

Burning Justice

the superior princess
hey guys i finally got this game. i'm a little confused....how does snaking work? do you no longer have to tilt the joystick back and forth to build up your boost? is it just based on how long you are drifting now? thanks
You get Mini-Turbos now based on both how long you hold your drift and how sharply you're drifting. Been this way since MKWii. Snaking is pretty much useless now thanks to that change.

Roo

My favorite moment from last night game.

Yeah, I'm really bad at timing blue shells.
Plus, that track is too wide so predicting the middle of it in such a tight turn pretty much sealed the deal.

Like Justice told you, snaking is not a thing in this game.
There is firehopping and demon sliding which are this game's snaking but they are nowhere near as bad.
Youtube has tons of videos of them if you want to learn.

Snaking was pretty rad in MKDD and then it went and got broken in DS. Then it became the karts' only way to stand a chance against bikes in Wii, and then it only became useful in very specific circumstances in 7 with MK64-style SSMTs being the main thing to do on straightaways, with the occasional bunnyhopping. And in 8 it's just firehopping and demonsliding and shit, yeah.

As for what killed snaking... It wasn't the change to MT charging since you could still snake in Wii. It's more of a physics change that killed it I believe.

See, if you could actually see that turn then it wouldn't be too hard.

The problem is that you basically have to memorize it, and while I can memorize facts and such really easily, I suck at memorizing racing lines. :(

ffdgh

Decided to give it a shot and surprisingly it's not too had to pull off. Messed up the landing angle twice but that can be fixed with a bit of practice. I'd probably get a worst result if I used a heavy instead of Peach.

Edit: Go figure it really does make a difference. Shaved off 1.72 seconds. Guess I will take a risk online occasionally.

Roo

If i'm playing spilt screen with my girl, how many friends can i have join if i create an online room?
Just the two of you.
The game only supports two local players for online mode.
If all your friends have their respective Wii U consoles then it's up to 12 players in a single lobby.

Dinjooh

Story time:

One of our teachers sent a mail out telling us that she'd be an hour late, so naturally I thought - hey, i'll take my Wii U to class to play with some of those who didn't read the mail before taking the bus.

So we set it up and start playing with classmates as they get to school, and the third girl who joined was the most hilarious Mario Kart player I've ever faced.

She was trashtalking, but she was incredibly polite about it, so zingers like:

'Dinjooh, would you please stop firing shells at me so I can win drive properly?'

'Why on earth would you put bananas on the road?'

'Why are all these people out to get me?'

Hilarious morning.

Oh and why the fuck does this game not have a handicap setting? Playing with first-timers is so incredibly boring.

Top Bottom