• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC |OT| DLC done right

fsDb1ek.jpg

😢

JC Lately

So I was over on Smashboards (I know, I know. I fucked up) looking for some tips on how to unlock customs moves, when the thread was suddenly derailed into accusing the MK8 DLC as being pay to win. Something about Tanooki Mario and Cat Peach coupled with the Blue Falcon cart being basically unbeatable and the Triforce Bike being the only way to win if you use bikes.

Has anyone else heard this before? I thought the DLC was well regarded / balanced overall.

Roo

So I was over on Smashboards (I know, I know. I fucked up) looking for some tips on how to unlock customs moves, when the thread was suddenly derailed into accusing the MK8 DLC as being pay to win. Something about Tanooki Mario and Cat Peach coupled with the Blue Falcon cart being basically unbeatable and the Triforce Bike being the only way to win if you use bikes.

Has anyone else heard this before? I thought the DLC was well regarded / balanced overall.

It's bullshit.
They have better stats than the characters from the same weight but they're far from OP.
Weight (not the stats but the weight in-game) is still a big issue. If you're not a heavyweight, you will get bumped left and right. It's worst for TM and CP because they're lighter than the average mediumweight.

I rarely see any Tanooki Mario/Cat Peach leading online races so that's definitely not the case. Bowser, Morton and Wario in the other hand...

Burning Justice

the superior princess

Definitely not true.

Tanooki Mario and Cat Peach are not better than the heavy characters. Not a chance.

Blue Falcon is good, but it's about even overall with the Pipe Frame and the Mach 8. There are WRs that use all three of those.

Master Cycle is definitely superior to other inside-drift bikes, but since outside drift is pretty much always superior to inside drift, I definitely wouldn't call that "pay-to-win".

ffdgh

Yeah cat peach and tanooki mario aren't setting the online world on fire lol.

Their extra acceleration does make them mostly better than everyone in their respective weight classes.

Best overall 2-accel combo is still Heavy + Pipe Frame + Slicks/Slims + Heavy Glider. The Blue Falcon has fucked up handling and a gigantic hitbox and Tanooki Mario and Cat Peach are too light and slow.

Gattuso

Roo

Thank God my buddy Gera used that horn before that blue shell hit me :D
I didn't get anything but stupid coins >.>

Top Bottom