• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC |OT| DLC done right

It would be cool if they included a mode where you can see the entire replay with the camera right behind the player. Just like a normal race/time trial.
Sometimes all these pretty camera angles don't capture what you really want to see so the experience is rendered useless.

All they need to do is let us snip out 60 seconds of race footage from the full race instead of the forced editing, it shouldn't be that hard. I actually stopped uploading races because of how frustrating and time consuming it was to make an interesting video with their preset camera angles.

Roo

All they need to do is let us snip out 60 seconds of race footage from the full race instead of the forced editing, it shouldn't be that hard. I actually stopped uploading races because of how frustrating and time consuming it was to make an interesting video with their preset camera angles.
I know that feel. I've uploaded only a single video. Too much work for little reward.

On a unrelated and noob note... For those who know, how do I brake while drifting using the Wii U Pro?
I'm practicing this thing for 200cc mode right now. I press R to drift and ZR to "brake" at the same time but I don't think that's how it works.

Edit: nvm.. It's B

Burning Justice

the superior princess
On a unrelated and noob note... For those who know, how do I brake while drifting using the Wii U Pro?
I'm practicing this thing for 200cc mode right now. I press R to drift and ZR to "brake" at the same time but I don't think that's how it works.

R or ZR to drift, B to brake. Drift and brake aren't the same button on Wii U Pro.

Azure J

Hmm, true.

For one thing I still actually tried to win so I rarely did more than slow down a little to hit someone with a tail or fire a single shell backwards.

Some of these guys, on the other hand, will throw a green shell at you and then, as you're recovering, throw another behind them to hit you again even though there are several people right in front of them. Or will go well out of their way to ram you with a star even though you went way out of your way to avoid them. Or will fire all their fire flowers backwards at you even though there's a crowd in front of them. Or will use their Lightning when half the room has invincibility and you're only at the beginning of Lap 2 so there wasn't really a need to do that unless you wanted to piss off the few who didn't have invincibility.

It makes for some... interesting... races.

I knew most of GAF was going to be a test of my patience/serenity when I noticed that everyone will double up on you without a second thought. It's bad enough that you hit me with something tossed behind you and shattered all my items, why wouldn't you save that extra boomerang toss/those additional shells for defense or catching someone else nearby? Nah, we just hit the dude we hit 2 seconds ago because "fuck yo' couch nigga!"

I was caught in an especially hilarious moment of this last night watching Heath in my rear view mirror literally weave the full width of SNES Rainbow Road behind me just to ram me with like the last three milliseconds of his Star. I was straight up at a loss of words seeing it happen.

Let's not even talk about Hypno intentionally running into my Bob-omb where there was no human reason for that to go down when I was scrambling with him and Roo to get first and took the water route on the last half of GCN Sherbert Land. Or Hypno doing anything really.

That's some weak ass shit. Coin item while getting hit by a red, that's some standard MK8(tm) stuff. Then you got hit by other items? That's Mario Kart(tm). Please don't imitate greatness if it isn't close to it.

I got hit by a Blue Shell as a baby, which is also standard MK(tm) stuff. Now I decided to go along my merry way to get at least some okay position, but some Pink Gold Peach thought it would be perfect to drag my red shell now and the music note thing that jump and I just happened to land on it... Okay, did not expect that to happen, I can still place higher bottom half positions I thought, but then I drove forward and get squished by the music note.

It was at that point I realized the game was out to get me. I was broken. ;_;

I don't give a fuck, I was first and literally winced when I got that coin. I hardly ever get offensive items in Frantic (something I've noticed more and more recently is that I'll get really mild items or triple reds that I have to hang onto for dear life most times) and interestingly enough, coins are a rarity for me in first in the lobbies, so that just hurt me, especially after doing so much work to try and weave through everyone else's bullshit. :lol

Tangent: The Yoshi Egg on Yoshi's Valley can create some really silly unblockables/unavoidables if you ever get knocked into it.

I swear that egg in yoshi valley speeds up occasionally. >_>

It does, it also sometimes randomly decides instead to park and block the exit to the bridge. Thanks Nintendo.

The stuff going on in the room last night was testing my faith in humanity. There was one racer that got triple reds behind me when I was in 5th or 6th and the used two of them to pass me while ignoring everyone else and then shot the 3rd back into my face. Then a couple races later another racer (or the same guy, can't remember) got a plant, hit me with it and then pulled over and waited for me to catch up so he could tag me with it again. Stuff like that was pretty much going on all night, a few individuals that seemed more interested in trying to get a rise out of people instead of trying to win. It's OK though, the north remembers and you shall be dealt with in kind from now on >:3

Roo

I swear you guys threw that Bob-omb at me. I heard the quick falling whistle sound it makes. I didn't see the bomb itself but it exploded right behind me (I guess this is where the explosion caught all of us)

Then I don't know how but Azure was in front of me and Andy behind. The latter threw a red shell (expecting to hit me, I suppose) but it went after Azure's ass instead.

Azure J

I swear you guys threw that Bob-omb at me. I heard the quick falling whistle sound it makes. I didn't see the bomb itself but it exploded right behind me (I guess this is where the explosion caught all of us)

Then I don't know how but Azure was in front of me and Andy behind. The latter threw a red shell (expecting to hit me, I suppose) but it went after Azure's ass instead.

That's the thing though, I never actually let go of the bomb. (It was mine and I was dragging it) I couldn't do anything with it because you three were in such close quarters, I hate this game's overhead toss physics (shout outs to bombing myself out of a few races because I thought the toss arc would throw the bomb further ahead only to pitch it into a standing state right in front of me afer a ramp a few days ago) and no one was breaking away fast enough for me to consider lobbing it forward or backwards once we were all assembled. Then suddenly Mahvel Mario Kart happened and I was just rolling on the floor in laughter. :lol

Roo

I wonder how he put his hands on these songs tho.
The DLC won't be available until April 23 and the codes were sent exclusively to the press with NDA and shit.
Someone is playing for both teams here.

That's the thing though, I never actually let go of the bomb. (It was mine and I was dragging it) I couldn't do anything with it because you three were in such close quarters, I hate this game's overhead toss physics (shout outs to bombing myself out of a few races because I thought the toss arc would throw the bomb further ahead only to pitch it into a standing state right in front of me afer a ramp a few days ago) and no one was breaking away fast enough for me to consider lobbing it forward or backwards once we were all assembled. Then suddenly Mahvel Mario Kart happened and I was just rolling on the floor in laughter. :lol

Need to watch the replay then.
I just know that because of that stupid bomb, I finished in second :mad:

ffdgh

I wonder how he put his hands on these songs tho.
The DLC won't be available until April 23 and the codes were sent exclusively to the press with NDA and shit.
Someone is playing for both teams here.
(

Gfaqs to the rescue lol.

"Some media person who got the early access is also a data miner."

Speaking of first place beats, I'm really struggling to hear a difference between Neo Bowser City's regular and first place theme.

DaBoss

I just made one.

Aww damn it, you can't remove it from your tournaments list unless it is closed? :/

I forgot to make it frantic. :/

Roo

Sweet. Will test it once we get more people involved.

Edit: don't worry. It's just to see if shuffle is feasible for us. If it is then we'll make sure the new one is frantic.

Added the newest tourney. Let's see how this goes!

I've seen Shuffle in action on a recording of a stream and it works very well with a lot of people. I'm just not sure how it works with smaller groups (like 15 to 18-ish).

I'm just gonna have my Mii chill in Frantic Shuffle Test until whenever we start this whole shebang.

EDIT: Boney: After 4 races the game goes "WHEEE!" and puts you somewhere else. Well, with a large group at least.

EDIT2: Oh, these days the cradle's on my desk so that's why I have no issues just chilling.

DaBoss

It comm error'd me out. Can't join through Colossal and you aren't showing up online. Joining the tournament puts me in a new room.

Boney

Banned
Alright coming right in!
I don't understand why I need the Gamepad to type in the numbers. So awful... Stuck with it now :(

Top Bottom