• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC |OT2| You Got Boost Power!

SM239

I learned that the ramp that goes over the boat doesn't work in 200cc

Edit: I was actually thankful that lightning hit me. Anything to get rid of that golden mushroom

Forkball

So what setup is everyone using for 200cc? Normally I have Yoshi + Yoshi Bike + Cyber Slick, but I wasn't adjusting well to 200cc with it. I tried a few setups out. Two that helped not crash into everything was Isabelle + Bone Rattler + Leaf tires and Male Villager + Streetle + Leaf Tires. The handling is excellent, but the speed is pretty low. It's easy to stay consistent in the race, but if you fall back, it's nearly impossible to catch up.

Exentryk

So what setup is everyone using for 200cc? Normally I have Yoshi + Yoshi Bike + Cyber Slick, but I wasn't adjusting well to 200cc with it. I tried a few setups out. Two that helped not crash into everything was Isabelle + Bone Rattler + Leaf tires and Male Villager + Streetle + Leaf Tires. The handling is excellent, but the speed is pretty low. It's easy to stay consistent in the race, but if you fall back, it's nearly impossible to catch up.

Yeah, that's what I noticed. I am still messing around. Trying to see what handling can I manage with while slowly increasing speed.

Dr Prob

Banned
Sure most of you assholes have figured this out, but in 200cc you can take the last shortcut on retro Mario Circuit shroomless.

I like all the little differences you get in 200cc (cuts, different routes, more varied setups etc.), downside is that some things in the driving model which make sense at 150cc and you would rarely ever have to deal with become a giant pain in the ass in the faster mode.

Exentryk

Sure most of you assholes have figured this out, but in 200cc you can take the last shortcut on retro Mario Circuit shroomless.

I like all the little differences you get in 200cc (cuts, different routes, more varied setups etc.), downside is that some things in the driving model which make sense at 150cc and you would rarely ever have to deal with become a giant pain in the ass in the faster mode.

Yeah, and a bunch of other grass cuts can now be done shroomless.

I feel like we've done a disservice to the latest tracks as we're not playing them how they're meant to be played, i.e., in 150cc. We'd be able to enjoy the corners in all of those new tracks much more in 150cc.

But the chaos that is 200cc Frantic is something else lol.

Played some regular online MK. I put down the controller after the 2nd lap finish thinking it was the end hah. Too used to 200cc's speed now.

DaBoss

Are you talking about Donut Plains? So you jump over the last part and jump to correct your direction? I don't think I even played on it yesterday.

I swear it felt like the same 10 courses were picked yesterday for the most part with the occassional exception.
NBC: Where choosing between using your star and getting hit by a lightning when you're right before "that one section" is a genuinely tough decision.
It's worth it. I got 1st place that way last night.
Played some regular online MK. I put down the controller after the 2nd lap finish thinking it was the end hah. Too used to 200cc's speed now.
lol

I still haven't done 150cc after playing 200cc. Though I swear being struck by lightning makes it feel like 150cc.

Dr Prob

Banned
Are you talking about Donut Plains? So you jump over the last part and jump to correct your direction? I don't think I even played on it yesterday.

Haven't played Donut Plains yet either. Not really looking forward to it tbh :D This one here, through the tires:

unWs5YA.jpg

Exentryk

Haven't played Donut Plains yet either. Not really looking forward to it tbh :D This one here, through the tires:

unWs5YA.jpg

Donut plains is pretty much the same route for me, just a lot more braking.

EDIT - Scratch that. Taking the end sc is viable (most likely faster), even if you don't take it clean. Some of those moles also help with giving you air and clearing most of the grass.

Coolwhip

Banned
I like MK8, but for some reason I don't get hooked.

Is there anything missing that makes MK8 a game you can waste days and days and days on?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
System update? What? Or was there another MK8 update? Looks like my external drive ended up disconnected so it needlessly downloaded the MK8 updates to the internal storage.

Anybody playing now?

DaBoss

Here's the star on NBC turns thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_gbzpVNW7Y

For some reason, this view of the highlight doesn't show the actual lightning strike, but you can hear it and see the lighting become darker. The risk was worth it in the end.

unWs5YA.jpg
Oh, I played on Donut Plains before, maybe twice ever since 200cc dropped, but it just wasn't chosen when I played yesterday.

And thanks for the pic. So you just drift into it and then jump. That's nice. Thanks for the tip.

Albo

Maaaaaan, have to wait till next friday to buy dlc2 and get back on the salt train.

Hopefully activity doesn't die down too much by then

Exentryk

I think Nintendo should have released 200cc 3-6 months after this DLC2 update. That way, we would have had time to enjoy and master the new DLC2 tracks in 150cc. Then they should have released 200cc which basically overhauls the game completely, and new strats are needed for almost all the tracks. If they added time trial support for 200cc it could have been a complete package.

Maaaaaan, have to wait till next friday to buy dlc2 and get back on the salt train.

Hopefully activity doesn't die down too much by then

The regulars should still be playing if nothing else. Prepare your body, coz you're not ready for 200cc :p

DaBoss

Gonna play now if anyone wants to join.
Haha nice. it did show the strike...or at the sound of it.

Also that pop in at 14 seconds
Yea, you can see it below the kart, but I was talking about the actual thunder strike.

And wow, that pop-in is crazy. Surprised I didn't notice it before.
The regulars should still be playing if nothing else. Prepare your body, coz you're not ready for 200cc :p
But he can already play 200cc cause it is a part of the update. :p

Anyone want to play Normal 200cc instead of Frantic? Normal always seems empty when I join...

Edit: Hi DaBoss!

This game feels so different with a small group cause there aren't bullet bills flying everywhere.

Fzero courses are awesome in 200cc. I just realized that the health pads substitute for coins...

Edit2: nice playing with you GAF.

Azure J

Bunch of replays from yesterday:

Cloudtop Cruise: In which Justice and I fuck the ending up so badly because we went for the shortcut. Also pay attention to all the dynamic fuckery going on around me in that race. Standout moment? The 360 camera that captured the moment a Blue Shell charged off into the cannon and blew up SM239's chances of getting top three in that race, R.I.P

Ribbon Road: First of a set of races I had after getting more confident in my build and drift braking. I also love this stage so damn much.

Wild Woods Act 1: Apologies to Justice, it wasn't him that chucked the Bob-omb at me when I accused him last night. That said, holy fuck at how these hit boxes work online. We got some shades of Speed of Light Netcode™ fuckery here.

Wild Woods Act 2: After maxing out on salt and having the collective universe fuck me in the worst ways the last three days, I have to admit, no matter how bullshit the luck behind getting two crazy 8s back to back was (along with a number of other high power/high chaos generating items earlier in the race), I enjoyed the fuck out of plastering everyone with everything everywhere during this race.

Omnicent

Well I was trying to be nice and not throw everything backwards but I see now that I'm going to have to get a little mean :mad:

make sure you record your rampage. We really need to make a GAF rendition to the MK8 theme song (because this encapsulates the pureness of MK8 GAFcc)

Bunch of replays from yesterday:

Cloudtop Cruise: In which Justice and I fuck the ending up so badly because we went for the shortcut. Also pay attention to all the dynamic fuckery going on around me in that race. Standout moment? The 360 camera that captured the moment a Blue Shell charged off into the cannon and blew up SM239's chances of getting top three in that race, R.I.P

Ribbon Road: First of a set of races I had after getting more confident in my build and drift braking. I also love this stage so damn much.

Wild Woods Act 1: Apologies to Justice, it wasn't him that chucked the Bob-omb at me when I accused him last night. That said, holy fuck at how these hit boxes work online. We got some shades of Speed of Light Netcode™ fuckery here.

Wild Woods Act 2: After maxing out on salt and having the collective universe fuck me in the worst ways the last three days, I have to admit, no matter how bullshit the luck behind getting two crazy 8s back to back was (along with a number of other high power/high chaos generating items earlier in the race), I enjoyed the fuck out of plastering everyone with everything everywhere during this race.

just saw this, sounds like good stuff. We can just use all Azure replays =P

Top Bottom