• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC |OT2| You Got Boost Power!

Blues1990

After being stressed out with Roo & his shenanigans, it felt so satisfying to chuck that Blue Shell at whomever was in 1ST place. Anyway, I'm heading to bed.

Exentryk

Waiting in 200cc Frantic if anyone wants to race.

EDIT - Lol, Adan got ahead for once and the blue came XD

EDIT 2 - GGs guys.

-- I am still around if anyone wants to race. Just post in this thread. --

Forkball

I was fiddling around and finally found my setup for 200cc: Female Villager + Master Cycle + Slim + Hylian Kite. The handling is fantastic allowing you to stay on the track and make tight turns if you need to, while also having very good acceleration. The speed is not the best, but it's easy to come back in a race and stay in front if you get there. I was placing 1-3 in most of my matches. Yes, I WON A 200CC RACE ONLINE OH MY GOD. I did have a few mid-tier finishes, but that's better than being in the 9-12 range like I was.

Exentryk

I *think* I've found my combo as well and I'm racing with it right now. Working well!

Need to put it through GAFcc tho.

ViviOggi

smh at literally being unable to brake on Wiimote+Nunchuk
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif

What a ridiculous oversight, why can't I just put it on C or something

ViviOggi

I'm waiting in the 200cc Frantic room again if you want to re-join!
I'll play again later thanks. First time I tried 200cc online, my random setup couldn't hold a candle to yours, seems like I have some serious catching up to do

Don't be like that, man.

you can buy classic controllers instead they're cheaper
It's just incredibly silly when I have Wiimote+Nunchuks that used to work perfectly fine and an adapter with four GC controllers lying around - I don't think customizable controls and/or adapter support is asking for too much. You can even use the GC controllers with Nintendont while MK essentially reduced control options retroactively.

Davey Cakes

The other day I had a lot of fun in 200CC Frantic. I'm still new to it so I did mostly terrible once there were more than 6 racers but the challenge was refreshing and satisfying.

Neo Bowser City though...that one will be tough to master.

I just show up as "David" by the way. Yesterday I was using Iggy but I play as other characters too.

Roo

smh at literally being unable to brake on Wiimote+Nunchuk
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif

What a ridiculous oversight, why can't I just put it on C or something

All the Nunchuk buttons are already taken. C included.
You just can't change a legacy button layout and don't expect some sort of backlash.
Mario Kart 8 uses exactly the same buttons Mario Kart Wii has been using for over 8 years
Granted, not including at least an option was really dumb but again, the only options available are the D-Pad, Minus (-), ① and ②
All of them useless and literally unreachable with the Wii Remote+Nunchuk combo unless you start doing some weird shit like this:
photo11.jpg

Boney

Banned
If you train to hit A with the joint of the finger and leave the tip to hit down in the dpad I suppose you could brake

Can't be confortable

ViviOggi

All the Nunchuk buttons are already taken. C included.
You just can't change a legacy button layout and don't expect some sort of backlash.
Mario Kart 8 uses exactly the same buttons Mario Kart Wii has been using for over 8 years
Granted, not including at least an option was really dumb but again, the only options available are the D-Pad, Minus (-), ① and ②
All of them useless and literally unreachable with the Wii Remote+Nunchuk combo unless you start doing some weird shit like this:
photo11.jpg

Give players the option to rebind rearview to one of the unused Wiimote buttons = problem solved

Customizable controls have existed for decades

Roo

If you train to hit A with the joint of the finger and leave the tip to hit down in the dpad I suppose you could brake

Can't be confortable

I just tried this since I have a Wiimote handy and I don't think it would work.
The way you have to hold the Wiimote, your thumb mobility is very restricted.
You can press both without problem but lifting your firger to (tap) the dpad means you have to slightly let go the A button
For smalls sessions seems feasible but it's definitely not a solution for those who already master this combo.

edit:

Give players the option to rebind rearview to one of the unused Wiimote buttons = problem solved

Customizable controls have existed for decades

This is Nintendo you're talking about. Customizable and Options are not really Nintendo synonyms

Messing around with this idea I think it **could** work if you place your middle finger on the B button (drifting/hoping)
and you index finger on the Dpad while pressing UP.

It looks a little silly but at least to me, feels more comfortable and serviceable than A+Dpad with your thumb.

Oh well, that combo is useless for 200cc so whatever lol

Trevelyan

Banned
So after being gone all weekend I was finally able to try the tracks last night and I love them all. However, the wife and I played the AC track about 10 times in hopes of seeing each season, but we never saw winter. Is there something you have to do to race on the winter course? Funny enough, my 2 good friends both said they haven't been able to race on winter either.

Grexeno

So after being gone all weekend I was finally able to try the tracks last night and I love them all. However, the wife and I played the AC track about 10 times in hopes of seeing each season, but we never saw winter. Is there something you have to do to race on the winter course? Funny enough, my 2 good friends both said they haven't been able to race on winter either.
RNG gods aren't being generous.

ViviOggi

This is Nintendo you're talking about. Customizable and Options are not really Nintendo synonyms

Before introducing a mode that effectively renders a control option (!) useless it wouldn't hurt to think for a second if there maybe isn't an easy solution to the problem. They had to look no further than Smash which lets you rebind anything and even save your layouts to custom profiles. While nice that would be complete overkill for MK, just give 1-2 predefined Wiimote+Nunchuk layouts for players to choose from and call it a day.

Roo

Before introducing a mode that effectively renders a control option (!) useless it wouldn't hurt to think for a second if there maybe isn't an easy solution to the problem. They had to look no further than Smash which lets you rebind anything and even save your layouts to custom profiles. While nice that would be complete overkill for MK, just give 1-2 predefined Wiimote+Nunchuk layouts for players to choose from and call it a day.
Guess you're right.
Trust me, no one understands this issue better than me. There's a chance they may fix this problem in the future but I'm afraid it would be too late for those who use this combo as people either don't want to give up their favorite controller and never try 200cc properly or they simply switched to a controller that actually has a brake button.

Top Bottom