• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC |OT2| You Got Boost Power!

m0t0k1

For split screen... is there yet a vertical spread option for two player? Top and Bottom screens only?

Its always been vertical option. So left and right when playing with 2 players. Sadly there is no Horizontal splitscreen in this game.

banofypie

Banned
Went into frantic to see Jman using a build that is 100% similar to mine in terms of spec and using Daisy.

you're looking for a fight

banofypie

Banned
I've got a book to read from cover to cover tonight, but hopefully I'll be done before 11pm BST. Hope you guys are up for some GAF group games.

AdanVC

Ribbon Road IMO might be the most beautiful looking course on MK8. The lighting, the details, the colors are just insanely pleasant looking. The sense of scale is also spot on, it makes you feel like you're just a tiny kart toy racing there.

Berordn

Ribbon Road IMO might be the most beautiful looking course on MK8. The lighting, the details, the colors are just insanely pleasant looking. The sense of scale is also spot on, it makes you feel like you're just a tiny kart toy racing there.

It's everything I wanted from them when they started doing "re-imaginings" for the retro tracks instead of just transplanting them like they did since MKDS. Same basic layout and the same basic idea, but everything about the track from its setting to the hazards is just worlds better. I'd love a game full of GBA and SNES tracks redone like it.

Enforced

I was looking at my youtube channel. My dolphin shoals video when Merrick stole my 3rd place with the bulllet bill at the end has the most views than my other videos. It was just Exentryk, Merrick, roo and me in the race.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOKG1wAD6iE
It was one of the bad luck I had. Merrick did pretty good last night.

It's everything I wanted from them when they started doing "re-imaginings" for the retro tracks instead of just transplanting them like they did since MKDS. Same basic layout and the same basic idea, but everything about the track from its setting to the hazards is just worlds better. I'd love a game full of GBA and SNES tracks redone like it.
I just straight up want every Mk track ever as mk8 dlc

Davey Cakes

Let's be honest.

Pretty much all of us would buy further MK8 downloadable content in the forms of track/arena packs.

It's something I'm willing to be a sucker for, I'll admit.

ffdgh

Let's be honest.

Pretty much all of us would buy further MK8 downloadable content in the forms of track/arena packs.

It's something I'm willing to be a sucker for, I'll admit.

I'm not buying anything else until nintendo wakes up and give me hammer bro.

J@hranimo

Banned
I do miss battle mode being good.

The last battle mode I had a bunch of fun in was Double Dash. DS and Wii were cool, but DD just nailed it for me.

Davey Cakes

I always feel like I sound greedy for wanting even more content. There's also the point that more MK8 resources means less resources going into other games.

That said, Mario Kart is Nintendo's bread and butter. It's ripe for even more milking.

More tracks, battle arenas, and 200CC Mirror are all possible.

I wouldn't be surprised if they announce another two DLC packs at E3 and aim for November and April again.

MrPanic

I wouldn't buy battle dlc unless it's part of a season pass with more track dlc. I won't care about battle mode in mk8 with nonsense weapons like piranha plants and boomerangs, it wouldn't be the same without boo and fake box shenanigans either.

Roo

Muscle memory hell...especially after that mirror frantic room.

lol that was a fun day. Too bad we didn't give it a second chance.
It'd be awesome at 200cc

As for DLC, I'm ok with what we currently have. I'd rather have them fix all the issues the game has.
-Stats tiers

-150, Mirror and even 200cc in random WW. (I will never understand why they ommited mirror in first place)

- Freaking invisible items. I mean.. what the hell are they waiting for? maybe it's an engine problem so it can't be fixed with a patch? idk

Nerf red shells. I swear they're way OP for their own good.

Fix Bullet Bill trajectory. The fact that Mario Kart Wii, DS and 3DS did it leaps and bounds better is shocking to say at least. Mario Kart Wii's bullet bill was designed so it wouldn't leave you in a tight corner or in the middle of a jump or 2 seconds after you activate it.
It had this specific sound that let you know its effect it's about to end
It had this animation where smoke came out out of it instead of fire that let you know it's was runing out of steam.
In Mario Kart 8 is basically "get the fuck out of here, I aint taking you anywhere"

A piranha plant alarm a la star, bullet bill, shells. Like.. seriously?

I won't even bother with character balance and physics because that's a completely lost cause.

ffdgh

Admittingly, I havent encountered invisible items glitch since the patch. Bills in mario kart wii/3ds has their stupid moments, especially on maple treeway, wario shipyard, and rosalina's ice world.

For triple items, nerf them so it takes all 3 to equal the usual hitstun of the single version...mushrooms aside.

Roo

The invisible item problem is still there. I hit one yesterday and I think Merrick said he hit one as well a few days ago.
Regarding bullet bills in MKWii/7, yeah I'm aware they had their stupid moments too but MK8's are stupid 90% of the time.

Azure J

Invisible items always felt more like an inconsistency in how this game handles updates with its netcode than an actual "invisible item" glitch. I noticed as much looking at how online races are caught on MKTV versus offline races.

sonto340

Fix Bullet Bill trajectory. The fact that Mario Kart Wii, DS and 3DS did it leaps and bounds better is shocking to say at least. Mario Kart Wii's bullet bill was designed so it wouldn't leave you in a tight corner or in the middle of a jump or 2 seconds after you activate it.
It had this specific sound that let you know its effect it's about to end
It had this animation where smoke came out out of it instead of fire that let you know it's was runing out of steam.
In Mario Kart 8 is basically "get the fuck out of here, I aint taking you anywhere".
I feel like all the time in Wii I would just get thrown off a cliff.
It wasn't too bad in MK8 for me until 200cc now it's like every time I'm getting thrown off a cliff or into a wall.

In 200cc, before using a bullet bill you usually want to quickly look at the mini map and estimate where you will end. You can't just mindlessly spam it anymore on most tracks if you want good results. Which I like because I think bullet bills are the second dumbest item ever introduced to the franchise, the dumbest, of course, being the Thunder Cloud.

Azure J

In 200cc, before using a bullet bill you usually want to quickly look at the mini map and estimate where you will end. You can't just mindlessly spam it anymore on most tracks if you want good results. Which I like because I think bullet bills are the second dumbest item ever introduced to the franchise, the dumbest, of course, being the Thunder Cloud.

Even when you do that, there's a few instances where the game will just randomly cut the duration on the bill short. Where you'd travel one distance, you'd go only half or at worst a fourth of the duration which leads to some really crazy shit.

Even when you do that, there's a few instances where the game will just randomly cut the duration on the bill short. Where you'd travel one distance, you'd go only half or at worst a fourth of the duration which leads to some really crazy shit.
The only times I've seen it go short are when it passed enough people to stop, which you can see on the mini-map. I'll need examples.

Roo

I feel like all the time in Wii I would just get thrown off a cliff.
It wasn't too bad in MK8 for me until 200cc now it's like every time I'm getting thrown off a cliff or into a wall.

My point is not *really* about the bullet trajectory. It's how/when it ends. at least in previous games you always had an estimate about time and place thanks to the sound and animations I mentioned but in Mario Kart 8 some cases you run out of it in less than 2-3 seconds, bullet disappears all of a sudden without previous warning and it's completely broken in tracks like Yoshi Circuit and Mute City. All of it it's arbitrary.

Plus they *ALWAYS* should go in the middle of the track. I hate with a passion when you make room for bullet bills to pass only to get your ass kicked off-road because said bullet took the same tight turn as you. *cough* Heath *cough*

Top Bottom