• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC |OT2| You Got Boost Power!

ChrisD

I'm done for the night, so it seems like a good time to throw out my opinions/rankings on tracks (going at 200cc) as of today. Things may change, but probably not by a lot.

Let's go worst to best just so I can start off with a good ol' SCREW BABY PARK. Eighth place.

Seventh goes to Big Blue. I didn't want to say this, but I just don't like the way it plays. The music is kickin', but the course design is too choppy for my tastes. That and moving platforms uuuugh.

Sixth is Cheese Land. It's not that bad, but has way too many blind turns and tricky Glider landings. The aesthetics don't do it for me, either. I blame Dry Dry Desert for making me hate desert levels.

Taking Fifth place is Neo Bowser City. Placing it down here does not mean it's bad (that goes to Baby Park and [for 200cc] Big Blue), but rather, the courses above it are just more interesting. I love the constant drifting, I love the looks, and that S curve is so good when you're going that quickly.

Animal Crossing is Fourth. It's very simplistic; almost like a metaphor for Animal Crossing. The bells are a nice, more subtle touch than Rupees were. Fall is the best season, obviously.

TOP THREE

Super Bell Highway takes Third! Starting off with a nice drift is something I don't think any other track does (other than Toddler Tripe), so that's nice. The overlaying track works out a whole lot better than on the ones that have tried before such as... blech, Ice Ice Outpost.

Who could take Second but Ribbon Road? I thought this track looked pretty when the DLC trailers went up, but wasn't feeling the track layout. Boy was I wrong. I love racing on it. Straights, short drifts, long drifts, and a nice, bouncy road. It has a bit of it all.

But having a bit of it all doesn't just get you to First whenever you're competing against Wild Woods. Ooooooh man. Let me break down what a race on Wild Woods in 200cc looks like. You rev your engines, the start signal sounds -- you're off. Immediately, you start a drift to the right. You hop down onto another part of track, starting a sharp outward drift to avoid the hole that stands before you. Narrowly avoiding death, you leap twice more before hitting a bridge that calls for a long drift. The drift beckons you to take flight that could be cut off only by a roaring rapid. The rapid throws you to and fro, while taking all drivers that dare it to speeds unrivaled. You escape on your only option -- the nearby lily pads. Zipping over the swamp, you have almost finished your journey. A split in your path: do you take the tried and true right way of things, or go for a daring attempt at a (Mushroomless!) shortcut to the left? It is your final decision before ending the race.

So.
Good.

Koodo

Banned
I don't know what just happened but Big Blue is the most beautiful racing track to have been crafted by the tender hands of mankind.

MrPanic

I like Baby Parks addition here. It's like the perfect moment to 'let it go' and just try to get as many hits as possible like it's battle mode or something. Its value is a bit diminished by playing it in the always crazy frantic mode, but still, 'let it go'.

Azure J

God Tier

Wild Woods
Big Blue
Ribbon Road

High

Super Bell Subway
Cheese Land
Animal Crossing

Low/Why

Neo Bowser City
Baby (FUCKING) Park

Note: These impressions are based on one entire day of 200cc Frantic races.

Effect

To hell with trying to unlock 200cc for grand prix. The damn cheating AI is why I stopped bothering with trying to finish 150cc in the first place and instead focused on Time Trials and more importantly online. Thankfully it's unlocked in VS and online modes. It's not worth the frustration of trying and then restarting entire cups over when the game decides to screw you over. Add to that the DLC cups likely being required to unlock Mirror Mode and 200cc now.

Edit:

Maybe the game heard me but as soon as I complained and did some cursing at the game and for some reason decided to try again before going to sleep I manage to clear the last two cups I needed. They were the original cups. I was under the impression everything needed to be unlocked once the DLC was added. Clearly was wrong. Things seemed to go smoothly for the most and the AI wasn't acting to cheap.

isitstill

I feel so stupid, but how do I access the DLC? I bought both packs, I think I downloaded the new one, but the new car actress lead me t ok the 'please wait until the DLC is released screen'.

Sorry to be so stupid, and sorry iF it's in the first post.

ffdgh

Did mr resetti own you, Roo?
KuGsj.gif

ChrisD

I feel so stupid, but how do I access the DLC? I bought both packs, I think I downloaded the new one, but the new car actress lead me t ok the 'please wait until the DLC is released screen'.

Sorry to be so stupid, and sorry iF it's in the first post.

Try to go Online, it should prompt the update. If you've already done that, delete the update through your Data menu and re-download.

Davey Cakes

I like Baby Parks addition here. It's like the perfect moment to 'let it go' and just try to get as many hits as possible like it's battle mode or something. Its value is a bit diminished by playing it in the always crazy frantic mode, but still, 'let it go'.
This is why I'm fine with its inclusion. There aren't any tracks like it in the rest of the game. Excitebike Arena comparisons have never been quite accurate.

A change of pace every now and then is nice. This is also why "once through" tracks like Mount Wario and Big Blue are nice.

It's quite funny how there almost seems to be a 50/50 split between complete love and complete hate for Baby Park though.

Tuck

The DLC pack is fantastic. Breathed fresh new life into the game. My housemates and I had a blast playing it today, after maybe about a month of not really touching the game.

This is DLC done right. I only wish they'd have added in previous character veterans rather than Link/Animal Crossing/cat shit, and added back in some of the dropped items in Kart 8. Oh well.

Top Bottom