• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

akaoni

Banned
Yeah, that's me. What do you need?

I need you to reluctantly leave and go into MKTV to watch a replay on the Mario Stadium(?) race just a few races ago where you're in the lead just after the anti grav zone starts. There is a green shell I throw at you and misses on the first pass, it then rebounds off the wall and comes close to you, I need to know which side it misses you on here, like in front or behind you.

You can do it by going to Edit Highlight Reel and setting the duration to Full then just pressing right until it fast forwards enough, B is slowmo.

It's not a problem if you're enjoying yourself too much!

Exentryk

I am checking it now. Gimme a few mins.

EDIT - It got released towards my right, and when it rebounded, it was behind me.

By the way, yesterday I wanted to watch some Mario Kart 8 on youtube on my iPad and I couldnt open certain videos, because the video isnt available on my device. Does anyone have any information concerning that?

NotLiquid

So uh

tumblr_n6mdxzlNtd1t0bg1so2_1280.jpg

DLC incoming?

-PXG-

:D "Of-fucking-course." I'm familiar with that sentiment! Oric and I were having a nice leisurely run on RR8 earlier, plenty of distance between us and everyone else. Maybe something happens, he gets stuck with a coin, I get a shell. Who knows, could win.

gah8yibk.gif

OF COURSE!!!

Of course should be the official slogan for Mario Kart GAF.

akaoni

Banned
I am checking it now. Gimme a few mins.

EDIT - It got released towards my right, and when it rebounded, it was behind me.

Thanks a lot!

It's for networking research, on my end it hits you directly and you carried on as if nothing happened (it even appears like this in the replay), it's happening a lot to me with far connections. Basically, on the client side the player is ahead of where they actually are in relation to on the screen of players who are not near them geographically. Another issue is that there's now 'ghost shells' that will disappear for some people but still be active for another player. This is the 'instant recovery' from being hit problem.

The green shells have their holes on the left side, the red shells have them on the right side, if that helps you.

Edit: Look here for some images.

thanks man that helps a lot.

another question: do only the coins you finish the race with count for your total or does every coin you collect count?

Exentryk

I had the same thing with another character where I hit them directly with a green shell and they kept going. It's just lag. Ruins your hard earned snipes but what're you gonna do. =/

akaoni

Banned
I had the same thing with another character where I hit them directly with a green shell and they kept going. It's just lag. Ruins your hard earned snipes but what're you gonna do. =/

Get salty and blame lag if we lose of course! I just needed to know how it worked, green shells will be more reliable for sniping on straights because it will eventually reach the player even if they're considered to be further in front of where they appear, it's helpful to know. Or adjust in front of them for side snipes.

Thanks a lot!

It's for networking research, on my end it hits you directly and you carried on as if nothing happened (it even appears like this in the replay), it's happening a lot to me with far connections. Basically, on the client side the player is ahead of where they actually are in relation to on the screen of players who are not near them geographically. Another issue is that there's now 'ghost shells' that will disappear for some people but still be active for another player. This is the 'instant recovery' from being hit problem.

It's also the reason for your position number disappearing when you get close to the finish line and it only shows again after you crossed it.
I kinda like it even.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
just received the Limited edition from Amazon :D
the packaging is so beutiful....and so the statue! can't wait to try the game out!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Come home, eat, get ready for some Mario Kart, and my Internet is out. Fuuuu!

And the latency thing probably means nobody saw my awesome electric pad dodge on Cloudtop yesterday :(

-PXG-

Someone replace his head with Ridley's.

RagnarokX plz.

Edit: Thought I was in the Smash thread.

Donald tearing up his house and shit... that is me if I don't get top three lol

I've accepted that Gears is full of dumb, bizarre things and total bull fuckery. That game has probably shaved off precious years of my life that I will never get back. But Mario Kart induces some next level, other worldly rage that no other game is capable of.

FillerB

What the fuck? How do you pass my bullet bill with your bullet bill? How????

Completely wild speculation without any facts to back it up whatsoever: maybe Bills double/triple your topspeed and as such if someone has a higher topspeed their Bill would naturally be slightly faster?

ViviOggi

What's everyone's preferred controller for this? Thought about getting the wiiu pro controller...

I'll get a Pro Controller later down the line unless the GC adapter is going to support more games than Smash, but for now I've found Wiimote + Nunchuk really comfortable for MK8. Give it a shot if you've got them lying around.

Of course should be the official slogan for Mario Kart GAF.

I'd back this, the words that escape your mouth when you pull one mushroom out of an item box and the guys in front get three.
The words uttered with contempt as the lightning strikes you over a jump.
A phrase foreshadowing impending doom when your desperation to defend first place is thwarted by continued coinage.
When the blue shell appears...
Of Course

-PXG-

I'd back this, the words that escape your mouth when you pull one mushroom out of an item box and the guys in front get three.
The words uttered with contempt as the lightning strikes you over a jump.
A phrase foreshadowing impending doom when your desperation to defend first place is thwarted by continued coinage.
When the blue shell appears...
Of Course

Mario Kart 8 |OT2| Of Course...

ngbbs4b4e41b06ad65.jpg

http://youtu.be/X8u7px_GzWQ

Edit

Photoshop Bison to look like Luigi and have the screen show someone getting blasted by a shell.

akaoni

Banned
Has anyone had much experience with Frantic Mode for items in a tournament? I'm wondering if that would improve the item balance, only got to try it with 4 players and I got a mushroom in 1st place at one point.

masud

Banned
Done for now. That was fun guys.

I decided to switch my build up. Went from an all around/speed build with Iggy to a max acceleration build with Toad. Ended up doing better than I've ever done in the gaf tourney. A top 3 finish, couple top 4's and I was in the top half of the standings most of the time. Of course if anyone so much as grazes me I go flying of the track and the race is pretty much over. Think I'm gonna stick with the little guy.

Exentryk

Has anyone had much experience with Frantic Mode for items in a tournament? I'm wondering if that would improve the item balance, only got to try it with 4 players and I got a mushroom in 1st place at one point.
I read it balanced the items better, so worth a try at least.

Top Bottom