• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

SCReuter

That's exactly what I did, except I didn't turn the game off. I honestly didn't think there would be any damage from a toss. It was a controlled but miscalculated gesture of rage. It sucks (like I do at MK8), but on the bright side, at least there's a really good deal for it right now so I can recoup my losses somewhat. I'm trying to be positive now.

I did something similar to Super Mario Kart back in the mid '90s, although my cartridge didn't seem to take any noticeable damage. :-x

I did something similar to Super Mario Kart back in the mid '90s, although my cartridge didn't seem to take any noticeable damage. :-x

Indestructible. My NES is 25 years old now I guess, as the games are and it is still running fine (I get it out once a year to play)

I will never sell it, one day I want to show my future child what gaming is all about and why his/her father is kind of a nerd

Dr Prob

Banned
I can tell that it's once again Mario Kart season in the Doorman household because suddenly the only operative phrases I find myself muttering aloud are "god-fucking-dammit" or "of-fucking-course." Ahh, it's like MKWii never left.

:D "Of-fucking-course." I'm familiar with that sentiment! Oric and I were having a nice leisurely run on RR8 earlier, plenty of distance between us and everyone else. Maybe something happens, he gets stuck with a coin, I get a shell. Who knows, could win.

gah8yibk.gif

OF COURSE!!!

random25

Well I managed to destroy my copy of the game already. Flung it across the room like a frisbee in a gesture of mostly symbolic rage after some 150cc bullshit. Somehow it nicked the edge of something and left a notch on the very of edge of the disc and now my Wii U won't read it. :-/

I thought Blu-Rays were supposed to be nearly indestructible.
guess I'm trading some stuff in for a new copy tomorrow, and calming way down next time or just not going for 3 stars on everything

WTF!? LOL sorry I just find this too funny.

Hope your next copy will not suffer the same fate.

ffdgh

Well I managed to destroy my copy of the game already. Flung it across the room like a frisbee in a gesture of mostly symbolic rage after some 150cc bullshit. Somehow it nicked the edge of something and left a notch on the very of edge of the disc and now my Wii U won't read it. :-/

I thought Blu-Rays were supposed to be nearly indestructible.
guess I'm trading some stuff in for a new copy tomorrow, and calming way down next time or just not going for 3 stars on everything

Oh wow...

Look at the bright side, you can get a second free game(?)

Spades

getting hit by a green shell from behind whilst you have a banana in defence is complete and utter bullshit and makes the game less fun when it happens so early in a race meaning it's over.

Happened to me at the end of a race yesterday and cost me the win.

akaoni

Banned
Why is it called 'Fire Hopping'? If anything it's 'Boost Hopping'.

Also Ansatz gets quoted in that article - you're famous! Although you're getting murdered in the Kotaku comments section.

Edit: You too, akaoni. And GAF isn't considered a media outlet - pfft.

What the fuck, I am? What bad things are people saying about my greatness. I now feel a slight guilt saying nasty things about them if they actually sourced the thread.

EDIT: It has typos and everything from me, I look so dumb. :(

Summer rain

Neo Member
I want to start by writing to Mario Kart 8 is a really good game . You know that because you smile when you play. And becuase you continues to say "Just one more race!"

Nerdy as I am, I've cleared all Mario Kart games , including Namco's arcade game I managed to pull through during my Tokyo visit last summer. Mk8 may be the best of them!

Playing through the campaign and split-screen multiplayer in MK8 is just as fun as it was with the original 1992. A big difference now to 1992 is that the internet exists. And thats the part MK8 is 100% on.

So this is my opinions about what is wrong with MK8, what Nintendo should be thought about.

Cups
When I grew up with Mario Kart was the big thrill is always in who won a cuo. You sat and counted the points between the courses. " If only I get third in the next race I have enough points for a tie for first place ." But Cups as they work offline are not in the online mode. Only single races. It's fun to play course for course, but I would like to have cups with a true end and a winner who gets the most points .

2 -player local
Sonic Lost Worlds is a two-player mode . 1 Player can play on the Wii U toad , 2 Player , the entire TV itself. Nintendo has developed MK8 . Did not Nintendo say that they want to show us the unique experiences with the Wii U control?

Balancing
Between the online races you vote for a new level, but you don´t get to change car. Yet Nintendo said before about how some vehicles are better than others depending on what surface you race on. And finally it's balanced between motorcycles and go-karts , though what use when you can not choose vehicle between the new courses online?

They should have done that you at least can have different options to build up four kinds of cars that you have for different types of courses. So you can switch between them anyway . Now we must therefore go out of the team if you get tired of their character.

Time trials!
I have always loved the Time Trials , ever since the first ghost level on the SNES . Please tell me I'm wrong, but you can not challenge their friends, huh! ? I would of course like to send challenges to friends, so when they are online , it says " Your friend XX challenged you on course XX" . Or I can choose my friends' ghosts when I run time trials , it was not so for Mario Kart 7?

Chat!
So I have to talk on the phone with my bald brother while we play if we want to talk during a race and yell at each other. And for anyone who sits alone and plays and wants to get to know new people then? Impossible!

Nintendo makes some of the world 's best games, we already know that , and that's what makes it so frustrating when they do not managed to create a working online system for Mario Kart 8. But then again, I can´t stop playing the game.

RiggyRob

What the fuck, I am? What bad things are people saying about my greatness. I now feel a slight guilt saying nasty things about them if they actually sourced the thread.

EDIT: It has typos and everything from me, I look so dumb. :(

I meant you're also quoted in the article, not that you're getting murdered in the comments section. Indeed, the only comment to your bit is 'I didn't understand a single thing of what he said here. XD'.

I'm going to be without home WiFi for a few weeks might even have issue watching E3 unless I connect to the local library down here

now watch the DLCs come out during the two weeks that I am offline

akaoni

Banned
I meant you're also quoted in the article, not that you're getting murdered in the comments section. Indeed, the only comment to your bit is 'I didn't understand a single thing of what he said here. XD'.

I went ahead and read it. Whipped my post up very briefly so I guess it's a bit too much jargon.

Zornica

Banned
before I waste my money on this game, I got a quick question:

because I have my wiiu hooked up to my pc monitor, I need to get the sound from the game pad. That's usually not a problem with most wiiu games I've played, but then I bought DKCR:TF which doesn't offer the option...

What the case with MK8?

Porcile

because I have my wiiu hooked up to my pc monitor, I need to get the sound from the game pad. That's usually not a problem with most wiiu games I've played, but then I bought DKCR:TF which doesn't offer the option...

What the case with MK8?

There's sound as long you've got the game on the Gamepad. If you're in map mode or horn mode there won't be sound.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

What the case with MK8?

YEs, though I believe map mode has no sound

akaoni

Banned
One more tip I found when having to actually learn how to max starting boost after unlearning it doing time trials yesterday and restarting;

Begin accelerating quickly after you hear the second beep, treat it as the first beep you hear and don't get confused with doing it in rhythm after hearing the actual first beep.

Clefargle

:D "Of-fucking-course." I'm familiar with that sentiment! Oric and I were having a nice leisurely run on RR8 earlier, plenty of distance between us and everyone else. Maybe something happens, he gets stuck with a coin, I get a shell. Who knows, could win.

gah8yibk.gif

OF COURSE!!!

OF-COURSE-CENK-by-Tai-s-Tees-.jpg

One more tip I found when having to actually learn how to max starting boost after unlearning it doing time trials yesterday and restarting;

Begin accelerating quickly after you hear the second beep, treat it as the first beep you hear and don't get confused with doing it in rhythm after hearing the actual first beep.

I read that over and over again and dont get it...I guess cause English isnt my first language...

RiggyRob

I read that over and over again and dont get it...I guess cause English isnt my first language...

I think he's saying people might try to time the boost start with the sound of the beeps, so if you're following the rhythm of the first beep you might miss the full boost when pressing down on the second beep.

Personally, I found that watching the 2 drop and pressing accelerate when it stops moving will consistently give the full boost (gives a little wheelie to the karts, bikes and ATVs).

akaoni

Banned

Imagine you hear a sound, then press a button. When you hear the second beep naturally respond by holding down the accelerator. I'm stressing to treat the second beep as the first one you hear because you can be too accurate if you subconsciously time it after hearing the first.

Basically, pretend there is no first beep

Now you just heard the second beep aka your new first beep.

Now begin accelerating as a reflex after hearing it.

Canti

Good games all. GAF has definitely stepped it up in strategic item usage since I last played online at the weekend. Some brutal losses on the final lap. Laters!

Imagine you hear a sound, then press a button. When you hear the second beep naturally respond by holding down the accelerator. I'm stressing to treat the second beep as the first one you hear because you can be too accurate if you subconsciously time it after hearing the first.

Basically, pretend there is no first beep

Now you just heard the second beep aka your new first beep.

Now because accelerating as a reflex after hearing it.

Ok, now I got it, thank you for the clarification :)

Rnr1224

gah8yibk.gif

OF COURSE!!!

I had something like that happen to me when i had a star. the acceleration was too much and i kept falling off the track because i couldnt turn sharp enough

Top Bottom