• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT3| You fuck THIS GAME! Let the salt flow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo

I'm hoping we get the Dlc by midnight today and that you guys are down to play

Also, please guys let's play in normal, no frantic bs lol

Frantic feels like "I can't win in normal, let's get crazy with items in frantic and hope that luck let's me win lol"

Frantic is fun from time to time, to enjoy some hectic fun, but should not be the norm

Anyways there's a DIFFERENT Dlc room or the same ones? (and again, I can't stress it enough, please let it be normal)
We already have a normal room and barely anyone plays there.
I guess we can create a normal tournament but it only would fragment the community even more. Let's wait and see if there's enough demand for it but I doubt it.

jorgejjvr

We already have a normal room and barely anyone plays there.
I guess we can create a normal tournament but it only would fragment the community even more. Let's wait and see if there's enough demand for it but I doubt it.
But shouldn't normal be the norm? It's the popular opinion really that frantic is best? Again, I agree it's fun, for once in awhile, as the odd one out. But the main should remain normal. There's the right amount of items there, a better balance an yes, skill does win out. Frantic no matter where you are it's too crazy, three people with triple reds, 3 blue shells in one game. It's really fun for awhile and for a laugh to keep things chaotic, but if you're good there's no point in trying, no reward, no real sense of achievement. There's just too much luck involved. I find it funny that people smack this game for the item balance and how it's uneven, doesn't work etc and yet frantic is that x5. (granted I think that items in normal are actually pretty balanced, or as good as they can be)

Make it normal, so it's the norm. If someone wants to do frantic they can make their own rooms and talk to people from the thread and make their own plans/room/tourney/friendlies

Plus, this will be the first time we all try out these Dlc stages, we won't be familiar with them, frantic should not be the way to first experience them

Frantic was not the way this game was meant to be played. I can't be the only one that thinks this way. You guys make it seem like frantic is the real way to play and not the alternative option as it actually is. Normal is the right amount of fun in my opinion. It is still MK with the right amount of everything. Let's keep it normal and let people choose to play frantic among themselves, we can do it once in awhile :)

I don't want to sound mean or anything, please don't get me wrong, but maybe people should start getting good at the game. It's not fair for us who have put in the time to get good, now we are put aside as the outcasts xD. If I don't do well in normal, it always feels like it was my fault, even with items involved. In frantic, just about anything can happen and six red shells behind me don't make me feel like I'm in control lol

Omnicent

But shouldn't normal be the norm? It's the popular opinion really that frantic is best? Again, I agree it's fun, for once in awhile, as the odd one out. But the main should remain normal. There's the right amount of items there, a better balance an yes, skill does win out. Frantic no matter where you are it's too crazy, three people with triple reds, 3 blue shells in one game. It's really fun for awhile and for a laugh to keep things chaotic, but if you're good there's no point in trying, no reward, no real sense of achievement. There's just too much luck involved. I find it funny that people smack this game for the item balance and how it's uneven, doesn't work etc and yet frantic is that x5. (granted I think that items in normal are actually pretty balanced, or as good as they can be)

Make it normal, so it's the norm. If someone wants to do frantic they can make their own rooms and talk to people from the thread and make their own plans/room/tourney/friendlies

Plus, this will be the first time we all try out these Dlc stages, we won't be familiar with them, frantic should not be the way to first experience them

Frantic was not the way this game was meant to be played. I can't be the only one that thinks this way. You guys make it seem like frantic is the real way to play and not the alternative option as it actually is. Normal is the right amount of fun in my opinion. It is still MK with the right amount of everything. Let's keep it normal and let people choose to play frantic among themselves, we can do it once in awhile :)

The problem is we do have a normal tourney room and it is hardly used because everyone is in the Frantic room. We did not have a Frantic room at first, but eventually one was made and people moved from normal to frantic and frantic became the status quot.
It should not matter what mode was interned as the default by Nintendo. All that matters is what the community as a whole wants as the main room.

Also to say that "people should start getting good at the game" is not a good argument.
People can just prefer the mayhem over normal and that does not mean they are not "good" at the game. If you are good you will win in Frantic more often than not.

Just about anything can happen and six red shells behind me don't make me feel like I'm in control lol
Thats the fun of frantic. Look at the thread title. It embodies Frantic. Frantic is a cycle of salt and acceptance. I have that happen to me, you just learn to adapt and enjoy the race and craziness.

jorgejjvr

The problem is we do have a normal tourney room and it is hardly used because everyone is in the Frantic room. We did not have a Frantic room at first, but eventually one was made and people moved from normal to frantic and frantic became the status quot.
It should not matter what mode was interned as the default by Nintendo. All that matters is what the community as a whole wants as the main room.

Also to say that "people should start getting good at the game" is not a good argument.
People can just prefer the mayhem over normal and that does not mean they are not "good" at the game. If you are good you will win in Frantic more often than not.
Trust me, it's not the same in frantic. Getting hit by a blue and 2 people behind with triple reds, it happens often, or similar scenarios. It's just not the same, yes I still drive good and can get ahead but when you are in first and end up in 9th on the last lap right before the finish line because of items and luck it's just not the same

Why do people even prefer frantic if according to them items are broken even in normal?

ffdgh

Weird thing about frantic. It actually gives first good defensive items and lower places have a better chance of catching up.

Tho honestly, I have no opinion on the matter.

AdanVC

Tonight is da night! F-Zero on Wii U!!!11
As a track in MK8
Can't wait to race with you guys again. I'm super busy with work and life at the moment but I would throw those away for a while during night time to play MK8 and relax :)

Omnicent

Trust me, it's not the same in frantic. Getting hit by a blue and 2 people behind with triple reds, it happens often, or similar scenarios. It's just not the same, yes I still drive good and can get ahead but when you are in first and end up in 9th on the last lap right before the finish line because of items and luck it's just not the same

Why do people even prefer frantic if according to them items are broken even in normal?

Who are "people"? People on GAF from the current community?
Frantic I feel has better item placemnt overall. Everyone gets something useful thats not just fucking coins when in 1,2, or 3rd (unless lady luck hates your soul).

Only time I have been salt is when Luigi gets a blue shell in second... Also see ffdgh post.
Also Frantic allows for troll mode (got triple reds? someone is dropping down to last with you. I have had races where I'll be in first, get triple reds, break and then have a stop and go battle with my target while everyone else zoom on by.
Do be advised to not do this often unless you want to get the collective item wrath of all your targets)

Roo

Funny because that's the exact same scenario when I'm playing in normal races. Getting nothing but coins in 1st just to get hit by a blue/red combo to finally "help" me with a stupid green shell in 9th is not exactly what I'd call "balanced"
Frantic is very chaotic at times but at least it actually helps those in low places and defends those in high ones.

jorgejjvr

Weird thing about frantic. It actually gives first good defensive items and lower places have a better chance of catching up.

Tho honestly, I have no opinion on the matter.
2-3 blues per match, triple reds all day every day, lighting, surprisingly almost no boom box (whatever it's called), and coins are still prominent

Azuran

Banned
I like both, but prefer GAF to be Frantic because after DLC hype is over, the room will rarely get filled up which makes normal races with 5-7 people somewhat boring relative to the chaos in frantic mode.

Frantic salt is also better.

The thing about Frantic is that if we want to play normal races we can just do Worldwides. And in my case in particular, there is no incentive for me to do a normal DLC tourney because my Race Rating is still pretty low so I want to build that up, and for that I need to do WWs.

Also, what I've noticed is that even in Frantic the same players tend to do consistently well. So it's not like it's just pure randomness. The ones that have put hundreds of hours into the game are rewarded accordingly with a lot of high places.

Sendou

Countdown -

t1415869200z4.png

EDIT - Since we'll get a new thread in the gaming side, I'm sure we'll find a few people to play with :D

Is this DLC going to be launching everywhere at the same time?

Glad to be racing with gaffers again! Tried the game yesterday and it's still as fun as it was back when it was released.

jorgejjvr

The thing about Frantic is that if we want to play normal races we can just do Worldwides. And in my case in particular, there is no incentive for me to do a normal DLC tourney because my Race Rating is still pretty low so I want to build that up, and for that I need to do WWs.

Also, what I've noticed is that even in Frantic the same players tend to do consistently well. So it's not like it's just pure randomness. The ones that have put hundreds of hours into the game are rewarded accordingly with a lot of high places.
It is still way more random and punishable, too crazy. Oh well

BuzzJive

From Wednesday, November 12, 2014 11:50 PM
- Thursday, November 13, 2014 1:00 AM Pacific Time

EDIT - Should have refreshed page before posting lol. Looks like you guys will be asleep when the DLC hits :p

Wait - so we're thinking it's gonna hit at 10pm EST now? Is this a known thing, or best guess or ?

So anyone else having problems with this game? Being in germany i wasn´t able to play a single online game in over a month now. Connections errors, error codes, whatever. Not a single game working. Whats going on here?

So anyone else having problems with this game? Being in germany i wasn´t able to play a single online game in over a month now. Connections errors, error codes, whatever. Not a single game working. Whats going on here?

Not for me, been playing all day today and yesterday and it's been fine.

I'm in the UK. I don't know what to suggest for you.

Not for me, been playing all day today and yesterday and it's been fine.

I'm in the UK. I don't know what to suggest for you.

Damn. Since the last update i can´t get any further than the lobby. Sometimes i am able to join a game but the connection crashes once it starts. Lets hope for the update tonight. Every other game works just fine.

Have you tried a DMZ? Seems like it might be a firewall of sorts suddenly being pissy

I have been to the dmz in korea but no idea how to set up one on my computer. ^^
I havent changed anything.. its just MK thats fucked up suddenly.

Roo

Damn. Since the last update i can´t get any further than the lobby. Sometimes i am able to join a game but the connection crashes once it starts. Lets hope for the update tonight. Every other game works just fine.

I have been to the dmz in korea but no idea how to set up one on my computer. ^^
I havent changed anything.. its just MK thats fucked up suddenly.
Try this:
http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/660/~/how-to-configure-a-routers-dmz

It definitely sounds like a DMZ problem because it's weird MK8 is the only game you can't play online.

BuzzJive

I'd vote Normal for the new GAF DLC room btw, but I'd play Frantic if that's all there was. I plan to get back in to it a bit, but this time of year is chaotic and I still need Destiny time too...

jorgejjvr

I'd vote Normal for the new GAF DLC room btw, but I'd play Frantic if that's all there was. I plan to get back in to it a bit, but this time of year is chaotic and I still need Destiny time too...
Glad I'm not alone! Of course I'll play frantic with you guys if that's all there is, but I would definitely prefer normal

You know, with the move to Gaming we're probably going to get the anti-firehopping crowd up our arse again. I hereby propose that we have two tourneys: A "Normal" tourney with firehopping and other hop techs banned, and a "Frantic" tourney with everything allowed.

From what I've seen there seems to be enough interest in the DLC for us to sustain that for a couple weeks. Of course, we'll probably just all go back to Frantic after that. And if Ninty actually patches firehopping then yeah, but if they don't then there we go.

ffdgh

You know, with the move to Gaming we're probably going to get the anti-firehopping crowd up our arse again. I hereby propose that we have two tourneys: A "Normal" tourney with firehopping and other hop techs banned, and a "Frantic" tourney with everything allowed.

From what I've seen there seems to be enough interest in the DLC for us to sustain that for a couple weeks. Of course, we'll probably just all go back to Frantic after that.

Nah it's easier to just not fire hop....unless i'm waaay behind. :p

Roo

From what I've seen there seems to be enough interest in the DLC for us to sustain that for a couple weeks. Of course, we'll probably just all go back to Frantic after that. And if Ninty actually patches firehopping then yeah, but if they don't then there we go.

Having 4 tournaments is too much for such a small community like us if you ask me.

ffdgh

I'll probably be using Mario in the Bdasher and Blue Falcon to start off because I want the Link craze to die down before I use him myself.

Link may or may not be male space peach sooo....

I'm using cat cruiser with cat peach....then switching to the superior blue falcon./stats whore.

There is nothing saying it's compatible so don't count on it. They might eventually patch it in, but I think they would have told us by now if it was coming with this patch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom