• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT3| You fuck THIS GAME! Let the salt flow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo

Why is it I never find people playing the normal races, just frantic?
We used to play normal races but getting stupid items like coins, bloopers and single mushrooms all the time without any real chance to defend yourself or recover if you were constantly hit got old pretty fast.

Frantic is more chaotic but at least now you can defend and recover your ass if you know how to use your items properly.

You guys should troll each other to make it more fun, like so

irWsYJzrWQohm.gif

Nothing personal Baron, I do this to a lot of people when I'm bored.
Not sure if it was you or Prob but one of you did the same to me week(s?) ago but it actually backfired lol

jorgejjvr

We used to play normal races but getting stupid items like coins, bloopers and single mushrooms all the time without any real chance to defend yourself or recover if you were constantly hit got old pretty fast.

Frantic is more chaotic but at least now you can defend and recover your ass if you know how to use your items properly.

Not sure if it was you or Prob but one of you did the same to me week(s?) ago but it actually backfired lol
I disagree. Frantic is too chaotic and you are not safe anywhere you are. In normal races if you are good you tend to stay on top, there's still chances to take you off to let's say the top 3 spots but you are rewarded if you do good. Where in Frantic it's just too crazy, I mean I ended in second last night because I got a bullet bill in 5th last second right on the finish line. That's not fair, it's not balanced it just plain old random. Anyone can win that way. In normal races you really have to make your items count, the shortcuts, the drift etc. Everything counts. The game is honestly very balance that way, more so that any other mk game. I'm sure you can't defense against a triple red shell twice, or two bullet bills and crazy 8s that happen all too often in Frantic

If you want to play this game more competitive then you need regular races. Frantic just feels cheap and random, no real skill there

Roo

I disagree. Frantic is too chaotic and you are not safe anywhere you are. In normal races if you are good you tend to stay on top, there's still chances to take you off to let's say the top 3 spots but you are rewarded if you do good. Where in Frantic it's just too crazy, I mean I ended in second last night because I got a bullet bill in 5th last second right on the finish line. That's not fair, it's not balanced it just plain old random. Anyone can win that way. In normal races you really have to make your items count, the shortcuts, the drift etc. Everything counts. The game is honestly very balance that way, more so that any other mk game. I'm sure you can't defense against a triple red shell twice, or two bullet bills and crazy 8s that happen all too often in Frantic

If you want to play this game more competitive then you need regular races. Frantic just feels cheap and random, no real skill there
That's also another reason why we moved to Frantic.
In normal, usually the same people (including me) ended up in the same places everytime. It just wasn't fair for new players when most of GAF players are pretty competitive.

Anyway, my intention was to let you know why we only play on frantic now, nothing else.

jorgejjvr

That's also another reason why we moved to Frantic.
In normal, usually the same people (including me) ended up in the same places everytime. It just wasn't fair for new players when most of GAF players are pretty competitive.

Anyway, my intention was to let you know why we only play on frantic now, nothing else.
I see. I hope people still join regular races tho. Competitiveness is part of the fun. I understand playing once in awhile frantic or a group of people, but it shouldn't be the main attraction per say. Here's hoping later today there will be more people in the regular races. I'm pretty new here myself, and if anything I'm looking for good people to play against

After you play the game for 100+ hours, Frantic is the only way to keep it interesting. Especially when all the people playing in GAFcc are like, legit good. Well, Greg and Currygan play from time to time but besides them
Kappa

jorgejjvr

After you play the game for 100+ hours, Frantic is the only way to keep it interesting. Especially when all the people playing in GAFcc are like, legit good. Well, Greg and Currygan play from time to time but besides them
Kappa
Well, I wish I was here when you guys played that way. I've been looking for good people to play against, I like to think of myself as good as well, so I've been looking for a challenge. Here's hoping things change from time to time.

Roo

Well, I wish I was here when you guys played that way. I've been looking for good people to play against, I like to think of myself as good as well, so I've been looking for a challenge. Here's hoping things change from time to time.

I don't think anyone in here takes seriously the competitive side of the game so you might want to reconsider what you're looking for.
We basically play for the lulz and the casual troll moments.

jorgejjvr

I don't think anyone in here takes seriously the competitive side of the game so you might want to reconsider what you're looking for.
We basically play for the lulz and the casual troll moments.
Sounds good too I guess. I enjoy playing mk regardless, I was just surprised at the lack of player in the other regular tourney

ohlawd

there was that one dude back when this game launched.

kept lobby hopping looking for good players :p

think he was in my lobby of 6 for two races, left then posted in GAF, "man the lobby I was in earlier was so bad. No good players. Thank goodness I found this good lobby"

Dr Prob

Banned
that last portion under water was crazy

Holy fucking shit. That ending on Wario Stadium DS. WTF you guys!

Have no idea what happened at the end of that race. Justice and I (and maybe Prinny?) were battling to not finish 12th as we hit the last set of item boxes. Somehow between there and the blue booster we ended up 2nd/3rd or 3rd/4th. We both had stars, I had reds, there was a banana and a bomb and a boomerang and more reds...just carnage :D

Must have been Albo. Can't think of an instance where something I've done in this game has ever backfired. Just too precise.

oti

Banned
Already played this game for over 25h, the Quick Start Screen is amazing!
But where's ma new DLC Nintendo? I need more tracks yo!
Let me give you ma money!

Roo

Must have been Albo. Can't think of an instance where something I've done in this game has ever backfired. Just too precise.

Yeah, now that I remember, it was Albo.
Justice, Albo and I were playing in Rainbow Road and Albo waited for me at the finish line just to hit me with his horn but I had a mushroom so instead of stopping me, the horn effect actually launched me forward. I touched the finish line when I landed so I got second and Albo third lol

Albo

Yeah, now that I remember, it was Albo.
Justice, Albo and I were playing in Rainbow Road and Albo waited for me at the finish line just to hit me with his horn but I had a mushroom so instead of stopping me, the horn effect actually launched me forward. I touched the finish line when I landed so I got second and Albo third lol

Yeah...that happens sometimes. It doesn't always go my way if I misjudge the spacing/timing, but part of the fun is waiting to see who crosses the line first. I think some others would agree, after playing the game so much now, I'm just trying to find ways to keep it interesting (albeit with twisted metagames). It's all in good fun.

Exentryk

It's been a while since I raced some of the regulars. Hypnodarkrai, Chaosblade, SM239, Papercuts, Prob, Kak etc.

The effect of gaf OTs being moved to community is too powerful to overcome.

Is that what's keeping people away? I miss Waluigi Kart 8 tho.

Slow...
just like your driving :p
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=122057095&postcount=2626

DaBoss

I'll get back on MK8 soon. Just have one more final stage left on NES Remix to complete and then I'll have Rainbow Stars in everything!

Finalow

yo I was in frantic room and just found one guy. guess I'm off, it's already 3am here anyway. :-(

Sup Finalow. Got 3 Mortons in this WW room now =D

Now to wait a bit for more gaffers to get home to start some gaf cc
damn man, some of those races were so stupid.
always got hit by blu shells and reds when I was 1st and then kept getting hit by 3-4 items in a row. once you join the last pack mid-late race you ain't leaving the last places.

Finalow

by the way I still haven't unlocked the gold glider.

couldn't they just put in the game a fucking counter for the coins. :-(

Albo

Quite possibly the strangest "race" I've ever been in. I couldn't see what you were doing at the end Needham but you improvised well and we crossed the line in style hahah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom