• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Power Tennis - Absurdly Clean Graphics

Anyone else notice this?

This game is completely jaggy/blurry/distoration free. So is this what games are supposed to look like with all anti-aliasing turned on?

Usually when you see screen grabs, they're really clean, but when you actually play the game, you notice more distortion/jagged edges on games.

The Luigi's Mansion level in Mario Power Tennis for instance looks so much better than the Mansion from the real Luigi's Mansion.

Anyways kudos to Camelot on that. I'm a stickler for image quality.

Well that's the thing, a lot of games in pictures are completely smooth because those are frame buffer or dev kit scans, but Mario Power Tennis is one of the few games I've seen that on my TV is as clean as the promotional pictures.

It's really nice. Hopefully we see more of that in the next generation. The game is a lot of fun too.

Heh, I remember a thread not too long ago (this week) that had people complaining about too much AA in promo pictures, one guy mentions Nintendo never does this, and then someone follows up with Mario Tennis pictures to show that they do.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I remember that SSBM had the option to turn off "deflicker" and it made the game appear more jaggie... but had much sharper textures. Pikmin 2 has the same feature but I can hardley tell a differance.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Mike Works said:
Heh, I remember a thread not too long ago (this week) that had people complaining about too much AA in promo pictures, one guy mentions Nintendo never does this, and then someone follows up with Mario Tennis pictures to show that they do.
That was me. And there is a big difference between very good AA like in Mario Power Tennis (played it, loved it) and *perfect* AA like this :
557719_20040902_screen005.jpg

I can't detect the slightest jagged edge in this image, something even the best PC hardware would have a hard time doing.
MPT looks very good on TV, with almost if not absolutely no aliasing noticeable, but that does not make these images more "real" either. These are just very high res renders resized to 640x480. They give you a good idea of how the game will look on your TV certainly, but they are still on of these awful doctored images some fanboys (or maybe haters) scream about time and time again.

AirBrian

soundwave05 said:
Anyone else notice this?

This game is completely jaggy/blurry/distoration free. So is this what games are supposed to look like with all anti-aliasing turned on?

Usually when you see screen grabs, they're really clean, but when you actually play the game, you notice more distortion/jagged edges on games.

The Luigi's Mansion level in Mario Power Tennis for instance looks so much better than the Mansion from the real Luigi's Mansion.

Anyways kudos to Camelot on that. I'm a stickler for image quality.
After 10+ hours of gameplay, I can agree. The graphics are very clean -- Camelot continues to impress me.

If a high-res sprite under full AA still has jaggies, what would a high-res voxel look like?

I have no idea why I asked that, it was the only other thing I could think of besides sprites and polygons at the moment..

Mario Power Tennis does look very nice, I'll admit that..

I don't own it yet, but someday.. someday..

Top Bottom