• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Strikers Charged World GAF Cup

maxmars

Ladies & Gentlemen,

here's the official thread for the very first online GAF Cup for Mario Strikers Charged!

Edit: Post fourteen (linkie), maintained by Toma, contains the current scores.

As for the "world" part in the thread title.. The game is only out for the PAL region, but that means also AUS, NZL and other countries in addition to Europe so please let's keep the name.

Also, this is hopefully the first of several tourneys, with future ones including more countries from all over the world.

Last but not least, this lets us Europeans make fun of the Americans which are STILL stuck offline with Paper Mario..

Main rules for this cup:

* First round + Second round for the preliminary draw. We may split into several groups depending on number of people participating.

* Semi-finals and final for the final phase, direct elimination, world cup-style. Again, if we have lots of people, we'll add quarters of finals, eighths etc. It's the first iteration so probably we won't have many enlisted, though.

* Each person will choose two captains and will play with those and only those.

* Each person will choose five sidekicks (not five types, five sidekicks, e.g. 5 birdos or 3 Koopas + 2 Toads etc etc) and will only play with those.

* Each person will be given two people to play against on a given week, all details about setup of those matches will be discussed among the interested parties.

* If someone does not turn up for the matches of the week, those matches will be considered won for the other parties. It does not need to be a dramatic event: if you need to go on with your life there's no problem and no need to bring excuses, we'll just assign one victory to your opponent and move on to the next round.

* Upon completion of the match, participants will report in the thread their score like this: Wes 2(16) - Maxmars 0(1), where two and zero are the number of matches, while sixteen and one are the number of goals scored.

* Three points for the winner, zero points for the loser. No points for Golden Goal losses.

* There is no regulation for disconnections or interruptions.. Please regulate yourself, be fair and be honest, lest we are required to become policemen. E.g. if the house is on fire and you are playing a match, run out and let your opponent decide if he wants to replay the match. If he does not agree to replay, he's won that match.

* Mods have kindly agreed to assign a custom tag to the winner of the tournament.

Please note that this first tournament is only to get things rolling.. At the end, we'll see together what went well and what went bad, and make changes to the rules accordingly.

maxmars

Matches setup rules

Every week a few matches will take place. A new post on the thread will be issued by me and the person playing as "home" will always be the one showing at the left, the person playing as "away" will be on the right much like real football matches.

E.g.

New Matches for Fri Jun 1st-Thu Jun 7th

Maxmars-AnotherPlayer means that these two will have a match, and Maxmars will play at home.
SupaMouse-SuperSouris means that these two will have a match, and SupaMouse will play at home.

The person that plays as home will serve as the host, which means he will setup the match in the game and will invite the other player in the match.

If the other player (the "away" player) invites him on a match, then he will refuse and setup the match himself instead.

We don't want to dictate a way to communicate, use this thread, use the Wii messages, use AIM, whatever. Feel free to setup the matches whenever you like, be it at noon or midnight or whatever.

It's important that results arrive by the midnight of the day preceding the new round, so for the first round,

Fri Jun 1st - Thu Jun 7th

you need to report at max Wed Jun 6th @ 23:59 UTC/GMT (which currently is 01:59 of Thu in Germany, Italy, France etc).

Advice for setting up the match: always refer to UTC/GMT when arranging matches, use the following to convert your local time to UTC/GMT:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

The host will need to choose the following options:

- Put himself as HOME
- Choose best of 3 matches, difficulty 3, length 3 minutes. 3-3-3 (minutes), very easy to remember.
- Choose the default stadium, which is called "The Vice" in English, "L'Ex Fabbrica" in Italian, "Pilz-Stadion" in German, "La Fabrique" in French, "La Torre" in Spanish

The person playing as "Home" can choose his captain (he needs to choose one of the two he enlisted with), the person playing as "Away" will choose a captain accordingly. If his captain of choice has been already taken by the "home" player, he must choose the other one he enlisted with on the tournament.

Every player needs to choose sidekicks according to the ones he enlisted with.

If any irregularity is found in the settings, it is possible for the "away" player to disconnect and wait for the host to setup again with the correct settings.

Feel free to message each other explaining your problem with the host setup using any kind of program, device, whatever; host, please double check your settings before committing to a match!

We don't want to hear about communication problems UNLESS you couldn't play your weekly matches. If this happens, well, we'll discuss about it in the thread. Please note that this will probably kill the tourney, so please don't escalate if not really really (really) necessary.

maxmars

Signup rules

You must write down in this thread your info in this manner:

GAF Nickname
Mii Name in the game
Mii Friend Code

Name of captain 1
Name of captain 2

Name of sidekick 1
Name of sidekick 2
Name of sidekick 3
Name of sidekick 4
Name of sidekick 5

Preferred days/hours for playing

E.g.

Maxmars
Maxmars
124654 658137

Luigi
Mario

Birdo
Birdo
Dry Bones
Boo
Hammer

Every night from 20:30 to 22:30 GMT / UTC
(which means 22:30-00:30 in Italy/Germany/France, 21:30-23:30 in UK/Portugal)

By signing up you commit yourself into the tournament from the first day (Fri Jun 1st) until the very end. If you don't show up for your weekly matches it's not a problem, though: the match will be lost by you and won by your opponent. If both of you won't show up you will BOTH lose the match.

EDIT: Signup is possible until tomorrow (thu) at 18:00 UTC/GMT, when I will unveil the groups and first matches.

Capndrake

Capndrake
Drake
545561-282959

Waluigi
Wario

Boo x1
Monty Mole x1
Hammer Bro x1
Dry Bones x1
(I don't use a 5th sidekick in either team)

Any day, 2-5 PM and 6-12 PM GMT

maxmars

Maxmars
Maxmars
124654 658137

Luigi
Mario

Birdo
Birdo
Dry Bones
Boo
Hammer

Every night from 20:30 to 22:30 GMT / UTC

kkg1701

kkg1701
Kristian
412417 451685

Princess Peach
Wario

Birdy
Boo
Dry Bones

Hammer Bros.
Shy Guy

EDIT New Time (didn't realize GMT wasn't fastforwarded to summertimes) Mon-Thu 8-11PM GMT

Wes

venison crêpe
Wes
Wes
189079 220051

Luigi
Yoshi

Toad x1
Monty Mole x1
Dry Bones x1
Birdo x 1
Shy Guy x1

Any day 20:00-24:00 GMT.

Kawaii

GAF: Kawaii
Mii Roy
FC: 511201 778761

Captain: Waluigi
Vice-Cap: Daisy
Sidekicks: Birdo 1x
Boo 1x
Drybones 1x

Koopa 1x
Toad 1x

Weekdays UTC 21.00-22.00
Weekdays UTC 14.00-15.00

fresquito

fresquito
fresquito
094590 038550

Floro Piraña
Waluigi

Monty Mole
Boo
Dry Bones
Hammer Bros
Birdo

Any day, any time except 17:00 - 20:00 GMT. Should check anyway.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
GAF Name: Tanasten
Mii Name: Tanasten
Friend Code: 515496687218

Capt: Bowser
Vice: DK

Sidekicks:
Birdo x1
Boo x1
Drybones x1
Hammer x1
Toad x1

Time: 22:00 PM to 2:00 AM (GAF TIME, GMT. But could play any other hour until a get a job)

Tag: I'm gona kick your ass an take your name.

maxmars

tanasten said:
Tag: I'm gona kick your ass an take your name.

Do you also have a preferred time for going online? Just so that your colleagues know when to play with you, that is.

Edit: ok, saw your edit.

Koren

Koren
Koren
008690 741522

Captain : Daisy
Alternative : Waluigi

Dry bones (I hope the names are corrects)
Boo
Hammer Bro
Monty mole
Birdo

Mostly 19:00 to 23:00 GMT weekdays (21:00-01:00 in Italy/Germany/France, 20:00-0:00 in UK/Portugal)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
-----------------------------------------------------------

[Quoty by Haunty]

Group A:
Code:
                  Series     Games      Goals     Points
1. Capndrake        4:1       9:2       30:17       27
2. Haunted One      4:1       8:4       52:20       24 

3. Fresquito        2:1       5:3       26:12       15 -- missing 2 games
4. Kawaii           2:2       4:5       15:26       12 -- missing 1 game
5. Dash Kappei      1:3       3:6       14:25        9 -- missing 1 game
6. Kkg1701          0:5       1:10       6:40        3
Group B:
Code:
                 Series     Games      Goals     Points
1. Tanasten         3:0       6:0       29:4        18 -- missing 2 games
2. MasterMFauli     3:0       6:1       18:11       18 -- missing 2 games

3. Toma             3:2       6:4       28:22       18
4. maxmars          1:2       3:4       13:14        9 -- missing 2 games
5. Wes              0:2       0:4        0:8         0 -- missing 3 games
6. Nli10            0:4       0:8        3:32        0 -- missing 1 game
edit: This chart is 100% correct and updated as of post #316.

Games that are still missing:
Group A:

Kawaii - Fresquito
Dash Kappei - Fresquito

Group B:

Tanasten-Maxmars
MasterMFauli - tanasten
Wes-MasterMFauli
Wes-Maxmars
Nli10-Wes

------------------------------------------------------------

Toma
369468 010088

Wario
Mario

Hammer
Hammer
Koopa
Koopa

Generally Every Day from
12 - 24 German Time
11 - 23 GMT/ UTC (I hope I calculated these complicated Numbers right ._. )
(with some minor exceptions)

Haunted

GAF: Haunted One
Mii: 'Basti'
FC: 287863 481544

Yoshi
Mario

Dry Bones
Dry Bones
Hammer Bros.
Monty Mole
Shy Guy

Preferred playtime: 7 days a week, 18:00 - 24:00 GMT (20:00 - 02:00 in Italy/Germany/France, 21:00 - 01:00 in UK/Portugal)

Let's do this thing.

maxmars

Just so that you know, I've asked the mods about a tag for the winner.. In case they agree, what do you guys think it's appropriate?

Haunted

maxmars said:
Just so that you know, I've asked the mods about a tag for the winner.. In case they agree, what do you guys think it's appropriate?
'Winner of the 1st Mario Strikers GAF Championship/Cup' (or somesuch)

short and sweet. Don't we have something similar for Madden tourney/league winners already?

nli10

Haunted One said:
'Winner of the 1st Mario Strikers GAF Championship/Cup' (or somesuch)

short and sweet. Don't we have something similar for Madden tourney/league winners already?

"1st Mario Strikers GAF Champion" or "Mario Strikers GAF World Champion"

Shorter & sweeter :p

here is Mii

GAF: nli10
Mii: NLi10
459662 678347

Captain : Waluigi
Alternative : Peach

Mole guy x2
Hammer Guy
Boo
Birdo

I can get online 19:00 to 24:00 BST weekdays which is 18:00 to 23:00 GMT
I'm away for the long weekend of the Glastonbury festical though so may auto loose some matches in the middle of it all. (23rd June ish) I am fine with this and will loose with honour :D

Haunted

Toma said:
Generally Every Day from
12 - 24 German Time
11 - 23 GMT/ UTC (I hope I calculated these complicated Numbers right ._. )
no, sorry. 12:00 - 24:00 German Time is 10:00 - 22:00 GMT.

nli10 said:
"1st Mario Strikers GAF Champion"
I like that one.

maxmars, if you need help convincing one of the mods to give a tag out as a prize, give me a nod.
I'll blackmail Ami to do it. :p

Hope we get some 20 people together for this. Can't wait!

fresquito

Okay, so I won't be playing as DK. I will be playing as Floro Piranha (don't know his english name, sorry). I will change my info now.

MasterMFauli
MFauli
171 899 273 205

Yoshi
Luigi

Birdo
Koopa
Hammer Brother
Birdo
Monty Mole

Thursday/Friday 18 - 24 o´clock German time/ 16 - 22 o´clock GMT (Though my "enemies" can offer other times, i´ll see if i can play then)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
About the Timezones. Normally we are here GMT + 1 Its even shown in my Windows Setup. So why am I 2 hours before you guys in the new day?

maxmars

Toma said:
About the Timezones. Normally we are here GMT + 1 Its even shown in my Windows Setup. So why am I 2 hours before you guys in the new day?

Summer time? You should be +2 GMT right now, if you live in Germany.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Can't we postpone the deadline for signing up juuuuuust a little bit? I really, really would like to enter this, but my copy of the game is on its way to my place and I can't ensure that I'll get it tomorrow... :/

Haunted

maxmars said:
EDIT: Signup is possible until tomorrow (thu) at 18:00 UTC/GMT, when I will unveil the groups and first matches.
I stopped playing Strikers just to check this thread for an update. :D. Has the deadline been extended or is everything still on schedule, max?

maxmars

Right now I'm serving dinner for my family, after dinner I will publish the groups for the first tournament. :D

Whomever is out will get in the next one, don't worry.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'm off on vacation for 2 weeks, would love to get in the next one.

maxmars

Okay guys, I've divided the participants into two groups, six people in each one.

Everybody will play with everybody else one time, then the first two people from both groups will ascend to the semifinals.

I've sorted the listing by GAF nick.