• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Tennis gamespot review (!)

mCACGj

I wouldnt go that far, but Mario Tennis is definately a quality game. 4 player rules, and there are a lot of different options.

En-ou

Bristow said:
Halo 2 is only half a point better than Mario Tennis.
lols, you guys like provoking the xbots ne?

wow, mario tennis is hawt. it looks very smooth and fun. i'm sure its also one of those games that will prob make me cuss alot just like mario kart dd. that game made be cuss more than any other game. :lol

Memles

Can't wait for some multiplayer with this...I can break up my classic "Double Fault Your Dreams Away" song. It annoys the HELL out of people.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I agree with the score. I got it tonight and I've been playing non-stop. The game has the perfect level of challenge IMO. You really have to work for your wins and I've faught my way through several nail biters. In the higher difficulties the computer will not give you an inch. You've got to be at the top of your game to win. It also has a fair amount of characters, modes, and stages to unlock. Great game IMO. Well worth the money spent.

JC10001 said:
I agree with the score. I got it tonight and I've been playing non-stop. The game has the perfect level of challenge IMO. You really have to work for your wins and I've faught my way through several nail biters. In the higher difficulties the computer will not give you an inch. You've got to be at the top of your game to win. It also has a fair amount of characters, modes, and stages to unlock. Great game IMO. Well worth the money spent.
Some of the matches get very intense. Multiplayer can result in some hardcore smacktalkin' and a lot of cryin'. I'm loving it so far. At first I was thinking about buying Halo 2 tonight, but playing Mario Power Tennis put me off of that desire for a while.

En-ou said:
i'm sure its also one of those games that will prob make me cuss alot just like mario kart dd. that game made be cuss more than any other game. :lol
IAWTP. I got this tonight, and I hadn't been playing for an hour before WHAT THE MOTHERFUCKING BITCH ASS CUNT HELL was reverberating off the walls.

Great game.

Memles

My reminiscing about "Double Fault Your Dreams Away" reminded me of something.

It is physically possible to double fault in the game? I don't think I almost ever double faulted in Mario Tennis, making my song kind of worthless.

methodman

Banned
No, its actually very easy to double fault this time haha

What a fun fucking game! Me and my 3 cousins (2 of which are under 10) were playing this. I had them set up as easy controls (they just had to move and press a/b and the specials came by themselves) and it was fun as hell. Even the one player mode is fun, they made it much tougher than i thought it would be

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"Mario Power Tennis is a fantastic example of Nintendo in top form"

Nintendo in top form = 8.9 ???

NWO

JC10001 said:

Well I skipped out on Mario Tennis on the N64 but it looks like I'm going to be picking this one up. It looks a lot deeper and more challenging which is a plus for me.

Mario Tennis 64 rocked.

This one is great too. Im thinking I might turn the special moves off tho cause they seem sorta cheap and get in the way of long rallys.

mumu

How is 2 Player Mario Tennis? Is there any way to play regular tennis (like Virtua Tennis) or is it all about the power shots and all the other gimmick(?) moves? How does it feel compared to Virtua Tennis?

I so want this game, but I promised myself the only console game I'm buying this month is Halo 2. This is going to be a long month.

Yeah, this game is surprisingly good. After all the months of seeing only power shots and gimmick courts we get a really deep tennis game with the option to play a straight match. We've been playing both 4 player and 2 player matches and both kinds have been incredibly competitive. It's seriously the next big competitive title on the GameCube next to SC2 and Smash Brothers.

The biggest surprise of all is that I'm a competitive purist for the most part, but we actually have kept the power shots on. There is a real element of strategy involved with them. If you force your opponent to use his defensive early with skill then you can counter-attack with a power shot. However, if you hit your opponent with a power shot sometimes the ball just comes flying back at you. The fact that I can choose whether I want that extra element to be on or off is something that would have made all the difference in the world for Mario Kart: Double Dash.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
mumu said:
How is 2 Player Mario Tennis? Is there any way to play regular tennis (like Virtua Tennis) or is it all about the power shots and all the other gimmick(?) moves? How does it feel compared to Virtua Tennis?

You can play with special stuff off and just have a round of ordinary tennis.

Memles

FUCK.

I picked it up on my way home from University for a long weekend...to find that my AV Cables were left at University. How this occured...I really, don't know, but let's just say I'm a little on the angry side of things. Going to try to get a friend's sometime in the next couple of days, so I can enjoy some Mario Tennis goodness...but right now I feel like hitting something or someone.

I'll just watch Lost, and Aladdin, and forget about it.

Top Bottom