• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Tennis GC = Mario Power Tennis?

Deku Tree

My initial gut reaction is I hope that's not the final name.

EDIT: But it does sort of go with the "power moves" theme of the game so I don't hate it.

I don't care what the name is, it looks awesome, and it looks like the fun factor is through the roof. Going to be one of the ideal games for four-player multiplayer play on the GameCube this fall.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Society said:
Change Mario to Nintendo.

Nintendo Tennis. Nintendo Party. Nintendo Golf.

I like that idea. Then make sure there are plenty of The Legend of Zelda characters in all of them...yes, that works for me.

Trevelyon

Oh darn! why wasn' it called, Virtua Mario's Super Smash Court Grand Slam Ace Tennis & The Thousand Year Racket...... DX x 64: Substance?!

GDGF

Soothsayer
I like that name. It does sound like something you'd read about in a Nintendo Power circa 1989, or something.

olimario

Banned
Just an update.
They now have a boxart up

mariotennis.jpg

Where the hell is a new update to Nintendo Ice Hockey, already? I love tennis games and all, but is that the only sport (besides Golf) that Nintendo is interested in doing? Grrr.

Memles

olimario said:
Just an update.
They now have a boxart up

mariotennis.jpg

As long as I don't have to USE that bloody jet pack (Bad memories from that bloody final boss)...I LOVE the Box Art. So hyped.

Rlan

Hockey would be difficult for Nintendo to come up with because you would need, at minimum, 3 people on your team. At the moment there are plenty of teams, but all of them have a Maximum of 2, and it'd wouldn't 'fit' to have, say, Mario, Luigi and Peach together and Daisy with some other team. Tennis at least has doubles, which can make teams make 'sense'.

And I don't think we need to see a third clone of each character :)

Sonic would be pretty good for Hockey though, since Heroes boasted the '3 people per team' gimmick.

Naw...screw the requirement of having the mascots playing in the games then. Just bring back the skinny Mario, the normal Mario, and the fat Mario players. Or maybe, make the mascots the team leaders and have the other team-members as related sub-characters. I dunno. Just as long as the cool team brawls are still there.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I thought DK was Donkey Kong Jr?

Diddy is just accepted as Mario crew now, just gives him DK a good partnership (important for a game like Double Dash).

Go play donkey kong country again. "Donky Kong" is not the real "DK" from the first game. You know, the one with girders and barrells and crap. That is actually Cranky Kong. DK jr is the "current" Donkey Kong. Diddy Kong is a monkey, donkey kong is a gorilla, thus no, Diddy is not dk jr.

Memles

Oh jeesh...you guys took that literally. Shit.

What I mean is that Donkey Kong Jr. (Who appeared in Mario Tennis (64) with Donkey Kong) had been replaced in the sense of this series of titles with Diddy Kong.

Memles

It's really quite similar to the Nintendo Power cover when Mario Tennis was released, in retrospect.

However, this would be a fist. In the case of MGTT and SMS, there was similar, multi-character art available for a box and they ended up going with simple Mario only covers (SMS to crap, MGTT to awesome). I like this one though.

Memles

PotatoeMasher said:
is there any vanilla tennis in this game?

Tennis without power moves = Simply don't use the power moves.
Tennis without obstacles = There is one, if not two courts confirmed to not be using the obstacle route. Peach Dome, and I'm not sure what court the one in that Waluigi pick is.

Top Bottom