• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Tennis Update - IGN

Memles

http://cube.ign.com/articles/533/533525p1.html

It comes with no new screens, but some explanation as to the wait,

"Apparently, the team took ideas and technology from Mario Golf when reworking the game, resulting in a very different tile for the Mario Tennis GC we'll be receiving. Says Shugo, "If we'd made [tennis] before golf, it would've been a more serious game. It likely wouldn't have been a game with so many gimmicks." However, Shugo ads that if Camelot had continued making the original Mario Tennis GC, it would have ended up being a very deep tennis game."

I, for one, would have rather seen the deep tennis game...Tiger has Serious Golf done, but there has yet to be a good serious Tennis title for GameCube. I'm just afraid as to how far they'll take this. An interesting read, nonetheless, and sounds like it will still be a multiplayer blast.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I was just going to post this with the same quote...I'm pretty certain most people would have preferred the serious option.

Personally, I'm quite happy with the more quirky, fun version. It sort of screws GC only owners, but for a lot of us there's already been at least one great serious tennis game this gen. I don't overly need another, as great as it might have been.

Greekboy

Banned
Guys why would Nintendo choose the serious side for Mario Golf or Tennis when their core audience is young in nature? It doesn't make sense.

Ristamar

Lisa Lashes said:
Guys why would Nintendo choose the serious side for Mario Golf or Tennis when their core audience is young in nature? It doesn't make sense.

"Seriousness" aside, Mario Golf is pretty damn tough compared to many golf games out there. Tiger Woods is a walk in the park by comparison. I hope Mario Tennis remains as challenging.

Grubdog

Banned
I'm worried about this game... all i've wanted for the last three years is an updated Mario Tennis 64, the E3 video made me cry, it looks too different.

Greekboy

Banned
Grubdog said:
I'm worried about this game... all i've wanted for the last three years is an updated Mario Tennis 64, the E3 video made me cry, it looks too different.

If it had accommodated you then somebody else would be bitching how Nintendo isn't changing the game up at all. Lose/lose for Nintendo.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Grubdog said:

I hope there is straight out tennis in there somewhere as well as all the wacky modes.......

Straight skill challenges are a must have.

looks good. I sort of like the gimmicky stuff.

btw, not to go too far off topic, but how is Tennis 2k2 for PS2? Straight DC port? Is it hard to find?

I think this change is for the better. I loved Mario Tennis on 64, but I always thought it needed more power ups and shit to make it more like other Mario games like Mario Kart.

DrLazy

I don't see why they couldn't have done both-- make a fun game with powerups that's still deep. I'm glad they made some cool changes like the obsatcles on the courts and the special abilities for characters, but I also hope there is an option to turn off special moves and just play tennis.

Hero

DrLazy said:
I don't see why they couldn't have done both-- make a fun game with powerups that's still deep. I'm glad they made some cool changes like the obsatcles on the courts and the special abilities for characters, but I also hope there is an option to turn off special moves and just play tennis.

Agree.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
How about we wait until we get a chance to play the game before we complain about it?

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Don't take the quote posted by Memles out of context.

I know... I know... That's not the GAF way, either.

The article basically explains why its taken so long for Mario Tennis to be released. The reason being... they scrapped the old version last year. They wanted to make a game that was different from the N64 Mario Tennis and not just a prettier version of the same game.

First, don't mistake who is saying what. The part about the old version would have been a very deep tennis game is IGN's summary, not a quote. Infact, the basis for the article is taken from a interview in japanese. And we know how many false assumptions spring from those.

Second, IGN really is horse-sh... They aren't saying that the new Mario Tennis isn't deep, just that the old version was. Just because the new version will have obstacles and different varieties of play, doesn't mean that the game can't also have depth. IGN's writers could have written this article better.

Camelot has done an excellent job with their previous Mario sports games. I see no reason to worry about this new one.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I don't get what all the fuss is about. When I'm playing a game called Mario Tennis the last thing I would expect is freaking Wimbleton or something. The more over the top they can make it with powerups and stuff the better of a Mario Tennis game it will be.

Mama Smurf said:
I was just going to post this with the same quote...I'm pretty certain most people would have preferred the serious option.

I prefer the fun action over serious gameplay (whatever the fuck that means). I sure as hell don't want some tennis simulation. The game is called "Mario" Tennis for a reason.

Yes but all people are saying is that the last MT was an excellent game of tennis. You had more control over the ball, as opposed to VT, and it ended up being a very deep game. Of course it was still a little over the top but at it's core was a great game of tennis it was a blast to play.

You also had the option of playing the weird Bowser court if you wanted the gimmicky play. I'm sure there will be a better balance of the two in the GC game, Camelot have created some of the most fun games I've ever played, they deserve the benefit of the doubt. Either way I'm sure we'll get a great game and October can't come soon enough.

Prospero

Are we sure that this isn't going to be a "deep" game, just because it isn't "serious"? Tiger Woods pretty much proves that a game isn't necessarily serious because it looks serious--sure, it has PGA licensing, but the game engine is pretty arcadey, what with the ability to change the ball's spin in midflight and the way the game hands out holes-in-one. Mario Golf, on the other hand, looks cartoony, but the engine is pretty rigorously designed and unforgiving--I think I've gotten a single hole in one in all the hours I put into that game.

I expect Mario Tennis to be the same--gimmicky, sure, but with rock-solid mechanics underneath it all. If I wanted a game that was exactly like tennis, I'd get out of the house and go down to the tennis court.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Just because IGN don't put certain parts in quotes, doesn't mean they're making stuff up. They could just be shortening a long winded explanation or maybe getting out of the legal implications of quoting an entire article from a magazine. I mean, they say:

However, Shugo ads that if Camelot had continued making the original Mario Tennis GC, it would have ended up being a very deep tennis game.

So it seems pretty certain he said it. And why would he say it at all if it was still true for the new version?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Ninja Scooter said:
looks good. I sort of like the gimmicky stuff.

btw, not to go too far off topic, but how is Tennis 2k2 for PS2? Straight DC port? Is it hard to find?

probably hard to find but under 20 bucks if you do. Mostly straight port but with one roster change to the female side. Only played the PS2 version once through arcade mode and it felt no different.

ge-man

I doubt that there's much to worry about. I don't see how the game could ship without a straight forward tennis mode.

I don't expect the equivalent of Top Spin, but if this game is anything like Mario Golf it should be a healthy challenge.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Mama Smurf said:
Just because IGN don't put certain parts in quotes, doesn't mean they're making stuff up. They could just be shortening a long winded explanation or maybe getting out of the legal implications of quoting an entire article from a magazine. I mean, they say:

However, Shugo ads that if Camelot had continued making the original Mario Tennis GC, it would have ended up being a very deep tennis game.

So it seems pretty certain he said it. And why would he say it at all if it was still true for the new version?
When did anybody say that IGN just made it up? All I'm saying is that IGN has implied something into the interview, that may not have been the intent of the interviewee. We'll need the original interview to know for sure.

This wasn't IGN's interview, they swiped it from Famitsu. They interpreted it from japanese and then tried to summarize their interpretation. There is a lot of room for mistakes. IGN can't even properly summarise an interviewee's message when the interview is done in english.

There are also a number of clues that suggest that IGN hasn't properly interpretted this interview. For example, what developer would use the word "gimmicks" to decribe their game? That word has a very negative tone in english, but there are several similar words that would deliver a more uplifting description. Its not beneath IGN to use that term; they probably think that using any other word is just "damage control."

If you really want to stand by this assumption, based on a summary, based on an interpretation, based on an interview.... Then knock yourself out!

Memles

I'm all for the new powerups, really. In fact, I think it adds a lot to the game, and will be a lot of fun. Having JUST the Bowser Court in Mario Tennis was a little bare...

However, I find that Mario Golf: Advance Tour balances them out really well. Normal mode uses normal courses, and then the Quick Game/Multiplayer can be played on the Star Courses.

The same thing would be awesome here...normal Championship Mode is normal Tennis, while the other courts are more for multiplayer gaming. Seems like that will be how Camelot might handle this.

Top Bottom