• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark of the Ninja |OT| The Art of Stealth

Ricker

Tomorrow is the last day you can get this for 600 MS points instead of 1200. Worth every 1.25 cent.

Yeah,I got it last week and its pretty awesome...I kinda suck at it for now though,only at the start of the 3rd section...one thing bothering me about the icon on screen when you do a kill...on 360 I see the X and an arrow pointing left let's say...do I need to press both at the same time for the perfect kill or what? getting a lot of imperfect kills...

FerranMG

All right, bought this on an impulse when it was 600 msp recently.
I didn't like the demo that much (as I don't like most of the demos I play), but I actually remember thinking "this is one game I will never buy".
I guess all the praise it got made me do otherwise.

Well, I absolutely loved it.
Played it twice, beat NG+, got 100% of the achievements. That's not something I usually do.
It controls very good. Some times I would climb a wall or grab a ledge when I didn't want to, but besides that, I could always do whatever I wanted.
The game just flows. You can either go killing everyone or choose absolute stealth (I don't think choosing an in between approach is an option for anyone :p), but in either case, I felt like a bonafied ninja. Hiding in the shadows waiting for the precise moment to finish some guard, or breaking lights so I could run unnoticed by anyone.
The fact that you can approach each level in several equally-good (or equally-bad) ways (meaning there's no win path) shows how much care was put in the design of the game.
Breaking lights and making noise where two very well implemented solutions to distract guards (unlike many other games).
Terrorizing guards was pretty fun, too, and worked great to clear some rooms that at first seemed very difficult.
And NG+ provided an extra challenge that was actually meaningful, not just 1-hit deaths.

I don't think the equipment selection menus where very well done, but I got used to it by the end.
That's the biggest con I can find for this game.
Oh, and maybe some of the equipment being pretty useless. Noise makers and Smoke bombs are all I needed to beat NG+ using my super ninja stealth costume (you know which one I mean :p).

I wouldn't say I'm a fan of stealth games, but Mark of Ninja is an amazing game, very well put together, very consistent, very compact (it tries to do well one thing, and succeeds), and very fun.
I truly recommend it to everyone, this would have been in one of the highest positions in my GOTY list if I had played it last year.

DasRaven

I still have this one in my 360 backlog holding out hope for a PS3/Vita YOPO "complete" release when the DLC chapter comes out.

I know I'll love it once I play it, but the heart wants what it wants.

ScOULaris

Finally got around to buying this game on Steam, and it's so freaking good! It's a little on the easy side due to how clear everything is made to the player, but this definitely takes the crown for this gen in terms of pure stealth gameplay. It's like a 2D Arkham game, only with even more room for creativity.

I am almost through with my first run of the game, and I will definitely be going back to try and unlock everything. Best ninja simulator ever made, hands down. Only the first few Tenchu games come close in that regard.

LQX

MAN! Cannot believe this thread is not even over 20 pages. I completed the PC version today and WOW, this is the stealthiest game I've ever played. And stealth that actually fucking works.

I must admit though that early on much of the skills and techniques to being stealthy I did not grasp very well but halfway through I became a real Ninja, oh man did I ever become a Ninja. And it was so empowering.

Great game, damn shame it does not seem to have gotten much fanfare. Hopefully we see another one on XBox One.

MightyKAC

There was a decent sized update, any idea what it added?

This is from the Steam fourms:

Hi Everyone,

Since there appear to be a number of questions about today's update, I thought I would try to clarify things:

This is an update to the core game, primarily consisting of bug fixes
DLC content is not included in this update, and you will only need to download the DLC data if you decide to purchase the DLC once it's available.
It's kinda big, but these are not new files in addition to what you had before. They are primarily updates to old files. After the update, the install should be about the same size as before.

You may find that if you had a saved game in the middle of a level, that your progress has been reset to the beginning of that level after updating. Appologies for this, but it is a limitation of our save system (the alternative being just crashing when you try to load your game).

Reset Game

You can now reset all of your progress in the game. By clicking Reset Game on the Settings screen, you can delete your save file, all of your progress and unlocks, and play the game again from the beginning. Acheivements will not be cleared, as these are stored permamently on Steam's systems once they are unlocked.

60Hz Fullscreen

By default the game requires that your monitor supports 60Hz in order to play in Fullscreen mode. Otherwise, the game will play in Windowed mode only. In this update there is a work-around for people whose monitors either don't support 60Hz, or would prefer to play at other refresh rates for other reasons (eg. users of CRT monitors).

Please see this forum post for more details and instructions:
http://forums.kleientertainment.com/showthread.php?27064-Changing-Full-Screen-Refresh-Rate

or here:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/214560/discussions/0/864976114881133786/

Had this since launch. Finally got around to playing it since the wife wasn't on the tv. My arm is fucked up at the moment so playing a more slow paced and deliberate game has been okay.

This game is fucking amazing. I'm going to buy it on steam just to support such a great product.

What all do the locked suits do? Anyone know if they're working on a sequel)

Flynn

Had this since launch. Finally got around to playing it since the wife wasn't on the tv. My arm is fucked up at the moment so playing a more slow paced and deliberate game has been okay.

This game is fucking amazing. I'm going to buy it on steam just to support such a great product.

What all do the locked suits do? Anyone know if they're working on a sequel)

One of the key designers of the game has moved over to Campo Santo to make Firewatch.

Top Bottom