• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark of the Ninja |OT| The Art of Stealth

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Bought.

Haven't spent this much on a digital game since Hard Corps Uprising. Most expensive game I've ever purchased on steam

Excited.

SJRB

Gold Member
Almost forgot this game came out today, I accidentally noticed it while browsing Steam.

Purchased immediately, the Giantbomb Quicklook a while back sold me on this game. Seems like a must-have.

15 euros is a decent price too.

Second this.

Don't miss the chance to play one of the best downloadable games of the year.
One of the best overall games of the year. The design work on this is absolutely stellar.

All the best stealth mechanics acting in perfect harmony through 2D and smart feedback and visual representations.

Sajjaja

This game is awesome.... I don't want to stop but I gotta do stuff tomorrow.....

Another cool TF2 art from their FB
222046_440025672702610_212501542_n.jpg

SJRB

Gold Member
Controls feel a bit sluggish to me, feels "heavy". The character doesn't move as light and precise as I expected.

KuroNeeko

Is there any way to buy this directly from the developer?

Also, while I love a good stealth action game (Tenchu 1, 3, 4), can anyone sell me on why I should shell out $15 smackers? A bit on the high end of a smaller, DL title.

Ken

Bought it since I had $6 in my Steam wallet I wanted to get rid of anyways. Looking forward to getting into it.

Is there any way to buy this directly from the developer?

Also, while I love a good stealth action game (Tenchu 1, 3, 4), can anyone sell me on why I should shell out $15 smackers? A bit on the high end of a smaller, DL title.

It's a great game. Something worth buying at full price to support the developers for.

I'm not a fan of Shank, but I love this game to bits.

SJRB

Gold Member
Wait, does this game only save in between missions or something?

Earlier I quit after a checkpoint pretty far into the second mission, and now I restart the game and have to start all the way from the beginning. Fuck this.

Labadal

Wait, does this game only save in between missions or something?

Earlier I quit after a checkpoint pretty far into the second mission, and now I restart the game and have to start all the way from the beginning. Fuck this.

Should be able to jump right back in and continue your game from the last checkpoint.

Haunted

Early prototype video on Giantbomb, pretty cool. Part of the writeup Patrick's done.

Sometimes I wish devs would use some of these interesting wip early builds as extras in the final game, but I guess that would require them to be stable and add extra work, so it's not really feasible.

edit: ah, I missed Tokubetsu's post above. :)

SJRB

Gold Member
Goddamnit, third time booting up the game and third time it starts me back up at the start of the level instead of the checkpoint where I was when I quit.

Is no one else playing the Steam version? Am I crazy here or what? This is annoying the hell out of me, I don't want to be forced to play an entire level.

Nabs

I haven't had any problems with that. I'm on the Steam version as well.

I beat the game last night, and yeah... this might be my GOTY. It's definitely top 3. Well done!

Mrbob

Yeah I'm playing it on Steam, but I've never saved during a checkpoint. I always finish the stage before quitting.

I'm digging this game too. The stealth mechanics are awesome and the game is a blast to play. Game gets better too when you can purchase more mechanics and items to use. I'm not a fan of the Shank series either but this game pulled me in right away.

Are there 5 stages total? I've finished 4 and looking at the story it seems that this mission might be the last one. Shame as I want the game to continue.

Nabs

Yeah I'm playing it on Steam, but I've never saved during a checkpoint. I always finish the stage before quitting.

I'm digging this game too. The stealth mechanics are awesome and the game is a blast to play. Game gets better too when you can purchase more mechanics and items to use. I'm not a fan of the Shank series either but this game pulled me in right away.

Are there 5 stages total? I've finished 4 and looking at the story it seems that this mission might be the last one. Shame as I want the game to continue.

That's what I thought at first, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I don't think you've hit the halfway mark.

SJRB

Gold Member
It turns out the game deletes quicksaves/checkpoint saves when the games gets an update, and appearantly the game has had a couple of updates over the last few days. It was just a coincidence that everytime I played there had been an update in between, erasing my checkpoint save.

Still very inconvenient, but at least now I know why it keeps happening.

Def Jukie

I picked this up on Steam the other day and finally had some time to fire it up today. As others have stated already, this game is awesome! I've only played 3 levels so far but I am very impressed with it. All of the game mechanics work so well together. If the game holds up throughout, this will be the new standard for ninja games as far as I'm concerned. Haven't had any issues running the game either. I hope this sells well for Klei as they made a great game.

i-zombie

Neo Member
I've finished 4 and looking at the story it seems that this mission might be the last one. Shame as I want the game to continue.

This is exactly where I got to today and just stopped cos I didn't want it to end so quickly.

Really loving it so far... So much so that it's derailing my XCOM play through. Definitely one of my favourites this year.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This game kicks ass. The controls are snappy and satisfying, I was cuttin' throats like a master ninja within minutes, the level design is tight but often allows you to approach obstacles in multiple ways, the stealth mechanics are fantastic and never frustrating, and it the art is great (with one exception). I'm eager to start my second no-kill playthrough, this game seems highly replayable in addition to being a smartly designed and polished package. My only minor complaints are the ugly character design and the bad voice acting. I don't really care about the story but it's easily skipped.

I'm glad you guys sold me on this one, it's a nice surprise. Too bad only a few of my many Steam friends are playing this. With the PC release only a few days out this thread shouldn't be stuck in Community.

This game kicks ass. The controls are snappy and satisfying, I was cuttin' throats like a master ninja within minutes, the level design is tight but often allows you to approach obstacles in multiple ways, the stealth mechanics are fantastic and never frustrating, and it the art is great (with one exception). I'm eager to start my second no-kill playthrough, this game seems highly replayable in addition to being a smartly designed and polished package. My only minor complaints are the ugly character design and the bad voice acting. I don't really care about the story but it's easily skipped.

I'm glad you guys sold me on this one, it's a nice surprise. Too bad only a few of my many Steam friends are playing this. With the PC release only a few days out this thread shouldn't be stuck in Community.

It's a damn shame that this is one of the Gs OTY and the OT is only 11 pages long (albeit almost all praise) and I had to find it through Search. (Sorry, Community)

Tokubetsu

Aside from that Merc dude, I don't have a problem with the voices. Azai and your female friend are good/great voices. The art style is hit or miss I guess based on taste but I enjoy it here a lot more than I ever did with the Shank games. Their lead artist was born to draw for this game, swear to god.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Wasn't going to play this because of Shank but was convinced to try it and it's amazing, even played on the back of Dishonored.

Def Jukie

Just finished this today. It was actually longer than I thought it would be. Took me between 10 and 12 hours. I was trying to get every scroll and all the seals though so that probably added a few hours. Some of the abilities you get later in the game are awesome.
The flesh eating bugs were hilarious the first time I used them and the teleportation move is great.

Going to start new game plus later today. Love this game.

Played this over the weekend and it's amazing, most fun I've had with a stealth game for a long time. It's also much longer than I thought, I still haven't finsihed it. I'm really hoping there is a NG+ to replay with all my new skills and items.

Played this over the weekend and it's amazing, most fun I've had with a stealth game for a long time. It's also much longer than I thought, I still haven't finsihed it. I'm really hoping there is a NG+ to replay with all my new skills and items.
There is.

I'm honestly amazed at the almost universal praise this game has garnered here. Good game is good.

Mrbob

Just finished the game last night, and according to Steamo it took 8 hours. Game is just long enough and doesn't overstay it's welcome.

Put me in the camp who loved every second of it. It is great hiding in the shadows, waiting to strike, and then continuing on to my next target. Never a dull moment in the game heading towards your next objective. I really enjoy being able traverse the stage different ways.

I spent my first play through not caring who I took out on the quest. I'm going to try and tackle stealth next.

Top Bottom