• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark of the Ninja |OT| The Art of Stealth

Sushigod7

Just picked up a 360 controller and this on steam, holy shit loving it as much as I thought I would. The stealth, characters and environments are perfect so far. Played through the first stage 3 times just to see what I missed and see if I could find new things. I did on each pass good times looking forward to digging deep for secrets and high scores.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
First game I ever NG+'d.

First game I ever 100%'d on my 360 achievements.

10/10, A++

I need something new, quick, tight, pick up n play-ish game to tide me over til CODBLOPS2 - any suggestions from XBLA / GoD?

Sushigod7

Awesome, I'm on the last stage now and looking forward to going back and getting all the missing stuff. I left most of the challenge rooms for NG+.

Riposte

Started playing this. I'm noticing lot of neat mechanics and UI ideas. Seems like a game that is skewered on its friendly checkpoint system, a common problem with western forays into 2D gaming. It looks like they expect most of the difficulty to come from the scoring system, which is disappointing in itself, but they go as far as to remove all penalties for failing within the scoring system. Maybe the enemies and level design will pick up as I go through it, but they handicapped this game significantly. Outside some the UI mechanics with blur and lighting, the art is ugly (cheap flash cartoon appearance western console downloadables love).

Sushigod7

Played only PC and never had a problem, as long as you are running a somewhat newer PC your fine. Some issues with display have been reported over at the official forums but those guys helped almost everyone out.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Level 1

ifaNOaFQeYx8.jpg
Who are the two assholes who manage to hide even from the ninja?

Started playing this last night and I like it a lot. Seems very varied and with a great style.

I'm not 100% sold on the controls, though. A few of the decisions seem a bit unnatural to me and lead me to doing things I didn't intend to. I'll probably get used to it, though.

Started playing this last night and I like it a lot. Seems very varied and with a great style.

I'm not 100% sold on the controls, though. A few of the decisions seem a bit unnatural to me and lead me to doing things I didn't intend to. I'll probably get used to it, though.

Yes, it's a deal of getting used to it. I had problems with the controls too, but I ended up liking them.

Is that with a controller or M+K? I played it on the 360 with a controller and felt it all played fine.

Dice

I played this ALL FREAKING DAY and beat it. I had a good run getting all the scrolls and shit but then the last level was a bitch! Gonna have to use a different suit or something that lets me use more disabling gizmos.

Dice

So are there ever going to be PC leaderboards for this, or at least a way of keeping track of my scores except manually? The replay value is getting squashed as it is.

Didn't find those 2 as well lol.
Oh, I figured that one out. It's a bug where if you kill the two dudes with the light it doesn't count their deaths.

Dice

I hate Stalkers. There is no way to get a good stealth kill on them without using an item. I usually run up and kick them on their ass then stab them, but that only gets you a 200 bonus. It should give you 800 because those bitches have lasers that will kill you and it's a super badass balls-to-the-wall way of dealing with them.

I've got to grips with the controls now. I still think they could be a bit tighter, but I'm no longer fumbling, so it's all good.

I'm finding 2D stealth a totally different challenge to 3D stealth. I'm not entirely sure I've ever really done a 2D stealth game before... I can't think of one off the top of my head. You have to be way more alert of your surroundings because there's not as much margin for error as there is in 3D games where you can edge around corners etc etc. I'm enjoying it a lot, though!

Some of the challenges seem really fun. I'm not doing perfect runs in my first playthrough, so I hope sometime (probably next year) I can revisit the game and get most of the challenges done.

Dice

A standard good kill is 400, but what can we do to make things best?

+200 Get close without being detected
+150 Distract them
+300 Terrorize them
+600 Friendly fire/Ninja tool/Indirect kill
+250 Hide body

1500 points. However, often terrorizing them is risky. If you kill them while they are distracted you get a +400 bonus at the end, so if you terrorize them you need that 600 point kill to make up for the lost 100 point difference between that and getting the distraction kill.

Overall, maximizing points is a hell of a lot of extra work. It doesn't really seem to be about how deft you are, just being extremely methodical and having the patience to do the extra unnecessary steps.

KingKong

This game is awesome. Best part is just when I thought I beat it,
there is another level with a cool sandstorm and booby traps

Dahbomb

This game is amazing. Will be finishing it after the weekend. The art style, the mechanics, the level design is all top notch.

I totally bought this game on GAFs hype. Well deserved. After playing and finishing Walking Dead this is a breath of fresh air for me (not a dig at that game just two totally different experiences).

Dice

I got all achievements. For NG+ I went ghost until the last couple levels where that's just a pain in the ass. Ghosting levels goes REALLY fast if you already got 9/9 on everything, but it's often exciting in its own way. The NG+ visibility limitation is kind of annoying.

Just picked this up yesterday thanks to the GOTY talk around the Giant Bomb threads. Good god what a great game! How in the hell did I miss this!!??

Makes me smile to see it on a good many GAF GOTY lists. That and Forza Horizon. Was sure that both of them would be passed up for the most part. But happier still for MoTN since its a downloadable title and the good ones also need some extra help to get people to notice them.

Skilletor

Definitely my game of the year, and one of the best games I've ever played.

I sat on it, played a bunch more, and decided it's not hyperbole for me. I put this above SotN and on a level with Super Metroid.

It's ridiculously good. Going to play it now on Steam.

Sushigod7

Definitely my game of the year, and one of the best games I've ever played.

I sat on it, played a bunch more, and decided it's not hyperbole for me. I put this above SotN and on a level with Super Metroid.

It's ridiculously good. Going to play it now on Steam.

I'm with you. Played it put it down, went back played NG+ still loved it. This is literally one of the only games this gen I will be in the middle of my day and stop think of this and get super happy. Then want to play ASAP. One of my favorite games of all time.

Picked this up thanks to the deal and loving it.

Quick question though: I tend to avoid spending unlock points until the end game with most games - I really dont want to do that with this game - which upgrades do people recommend getting in order?

Avinexus

Is this game know to freeze on 360? It has frozen on me three times now and I'm only on the fourth level, just want to know whether its the game or my Xbox.

Is this game know to freeze on 360? It has frozen on me three times now and I'm only on the fourth level, just want to know whether its the game or my Xbox.
The game never froze on me.

Quick question though: I tend to avoid spending unlock points until the end game with most games - I really dont want to do that with this game - which upgrades do people recommend getting in order?
Depends upon how you play, but I got the most use out of silent footfalls and all the 'kill-from-behind-a-door', 'kill-from-below' moves, at least for my first playthrough.

Sushigod7

I think that's half the fun just grab what looks interesting. I went for moves myself instead of equipment but they all have strengths depending on your play style.

Jhoan

Count me in as another one of the people who recently bought it during the XBLA sale and instantly loved it. This game is so good. I'm absolutely enjoying it. I think I'm up to the fourth mission myself. I've been anal about getting undetected bonuses.

The stages are extremely well designed and have multiple options on how to traverse the environments; it's like a puzzle. Klei did an excellent job on capturing the feeling of being a ninja. This is easily one of my favorite XBLA game this year. It's so well made so massive props to Klei on that; they a lot of care into it.

The story is serviceable if only for the sake of having a story; the gameplay is the real star of the show as is typically the case with Klei's games. I hope many people checked it out during the sale because this game deserves more love.

Tunavi

Banned
ooooh how i love this game. Pure stealth, so much interesting "combat"

Can't believe I hadn't heard of it before the sale. Shame.

1 level a night is perfect pacing so far.

So are there ever going to be PC leaderboards for this, or at least a way of keeping track of my scores except manually? The replay value is getting squashed as it is.

Oh, I figured that one out. It's a bug where if you kill the two dudes with the light it doesn't count their deaths.

Not a bug

baconcow

I am only on about the 5th level and have a question. Should I be trying to kill everyone or avoid everyone. Doing a silent kill and body hide nets you 650 points, where as non-detected (if you are close) only gives you 250 points (same as body hide). If you mess up even one, then you lose the 5000 bonus. Which is the best method to go through levels? I have been trying to off everyone because it is fun. I am finding the skills help a LOT in doing this silently.

Scapegoat

I am only on about the 5th level and have a question. Should I be trying to kill everyone or avoid everyone. Doing a silent kill and body hide nets you 650 points, where as non-detected (if you are close) only gives you 250 points (same as body hide). If you mess up even one, then you lose the 5000 bonus. Which is the best method to go through levels? I have been trying to off everyone because it is fun. I am finding the skills help a LOT in doing this silently.
If you loved playing the game as much as I did you'll play through twice.

First time through go nuts with the killing. Not just killing, but also freaking out soldiers so they kill eachother.

Then for your second playthrough do a no-detection no-kill stealth run.

Top Bottom