• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Zuckerberg Says He's No Longer An Atheist, Believes "Religion Is Very Important"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasper

Mark Zuckerberg says he's no longer an atheist, believes ‘religion is very important'

The founder of Facebook has found religion, it seems, according to a cheery holiday message he posted on the social network he created.

On Christmas Day, Zuckerberg indicated in a Facebook status that he was ”celebrating Christmas."

”Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah from Priscilla, Max, Beast and me," he wrote, naming his wife, daughter and dog. Then a commenter asked him: Aren't you an atheist?

Zuckerberg identified himself as an atheist for years, but on Facebook on Christmas he wrote back: ”No. I was raised Jewish and then I went through a period where I questioned things, but now I believe religion is very important."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ion-is-very-important/?utm_term=.2bbacdde5a80

Syriel

Got to appeal to the conservative alt-right.

If Zuck is anything, he's a salesman. Makes sense he would want to pitch himself as a religious conservative so long as Trump is in the White House.

I'm an Atheist. Been one for as long as I remember. I too think religion is very important, in that many people believe, so it's an important facet of humanity.

Zoggy

This is some pr move or some business related positioning.

I wouldn't put it past this egotistical sociopath to think he can run for office now

rjinaz

He never really says he believes in anything. Heck I celebrate Christmas and I don't believe there is a man in the sky. I'm not actively against religion or make a point that I don't believe in something. Religion is important, considering a majority of Americans identify with a religion.

Mariolee

I mean, I can be cynical about that response and like the poster above believe he's simply being pragmatic, but the personal spiritual beliefs of this man have no bearing on my life so long as he recognizes the importance of the freedoms of having such beliefs.

pargonta

well of course religion is very important for moral codification and cultural upbringing. you can still be an atheist though

“Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah from Priscilla, Max, Beast and me,” he wrote, naming his wife, daughter and dog. Then a commenter asked him: Aren’t you an atheist?

Also these are the worst type of Atheists. Like why is it surprising for a non-believer to wish somebody a Merry Christmas or Happy Hanukkah?

Link

The Autumn Wind
I'm an Atheist. Been one for as long as I remember. I too think religion is very important, in that many people believe, so it's an important facet of humanity.
I disagree. I think religion is behind a good amount of the world's problems and we'd be better off without it.

rjinaz

I disagree. I think religion is behind a good amount of the world's problems and we'd be better off without it.

ok sure. But it's still important. Unless you are going to make anybody that believes in one disappear.

Mariolee

I disagree in the fact that greed, selfishness, and pure humanity is behind all of the world's problems. Religion is merely a tool that can be used to enable such feelings. Take away religion, and you'll still find plenty of ways to cause trouble. Just look at some of the officially atheistic governments of the past few centuries and tell me how few problems they had.

Okay, how does that not make it important? Do you understand what the word important means? It doesn't denote a lean in morality. In any case there is a lot of good religion can do as well. Denying that just makes you as blind as the people you think less of.

Edit: Basically what Mariolee says above. It's just a tool. If it's not religion it'd be nationalism, or some other form of ideology that powerful people use to influence others.

That didn't stop Trump.

Zuckerberg is a lean D guy who spent six months refusing to discipline Peter Thiel and allowing anti-Hillary conspiracies to trend. He has no idea what he even wants to be politically, but he wants to be political for some reason. Zuckerberg has set himself up to be hated by both liberals and conservatives and to be a lesser version of Michael Bloomberg.

Judaism wouldn't be my first choice if I were running for office in America.

An atheist Jewish dude ran for a House seat in Maryland and then decided midway through the campaign that he was back to Judaism to not scare away people because of atheism.

So this exact thing has happened very recently!

Hypron

That does not mean it's not important. As long as it has an impact on or society/world it'll remain important.

Bleepey

He has zero political instincts. He's planning to run and he'll probably win some House seat because of money, but he has seemingly no political talent or know-how.
I don't think you've been paying attention this past year. Do you think that an atheist Jew can become popular pretty much overnight on the national stage? Or a billionaire business magnate could have any chance of becoming president!

Two Words

I'm atheist, but I don't agree in the anti-theist attitude some atheists has. So I get what he means about it being very important. I am, however, sick of religions needing to constantly be handled with kids gloves. I often feel frustrated that many acts done for religious means can be justified without further question. I often get the feeling that people do not believe that you can be respectful to religious views if you judge them for what they are.

I look forward to the religion free utopia where mankind has stopped fighting over stupid things. But good luck on getting rid of religion in the first place.

kewlmyc

You can not believe in god, but still believe religion is important. It brings a lot of bad to the world when people force others to believe in what they believe it or commit heinous acts due to their religious beliefs, but it does bring hope to the hopeless for those who chose to believe of the own volition.

I don't think you've been paying attention this past year. Do you think that an atheist Jew can become popular pretty much overnight on the national stage? Or a billionaire business magnate could have any chance of becoming president!

How is lean D guy who is blamed by Dems for Trump's victory set up for a strong political future?

Link

The Autumn Wind
ok sure. But it's still important. Unless you are going to make anybody that believes in one disappear.

Okay, how does that not make it important? Do you understand what the word important means? It doesn't denote a lean in morality. In any case there is a lot of good religion can do as well. Denying that just makes you as blind as the people you think less of.

Edit: Basically what Mariolee says above. It's just a tool. If it's not religion it'd be nationalism, or some other form of ideology that powerful people use to influence others.

That does not mean it's not important. As long as it has an impact on or society/world it'll remain important.
Fair enough.

fast_taker

people usually believe in religion and gods and as they grow older they realize the "truth"..Mark, what's wrong with you!?!?!?!

Madness

It is also behind the start of organized human civilization. Everything we do and how we live is governed by religion. Even if you do away with organized religion, humanity invents new things everyday. Where do you think the concept of not stealing came from? The majority of the world's charities are run by religious groups etc.

I'm not gonna question's someone's... religiousness, frankly I just think it's something personal so it's just "okay who cares".

If he's sincere good for him. I mean atheism isn't exactly the majority religion... anywhere... so it's not shocking by any means for someone not to be. Either way if he's insincere whatever doesn't make a difference.

ZehDon

I'm more boggled by the commenter than Zuckerberg's response, never understood that particular impulse. In any case, kudos to him for actually responding and putting himself out there.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
Guy is just playing to his new market. You don't become an atheist and then back slide unless you want to appease someone

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Sounds like a classic "I'm gonna leave it ambiguous and let people read whatever they want into it" PR statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom