• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Zuckerberg Says He's No Longer An Atheist, Believes "Religion Is Very Important"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wollan

He was raised Jewish. Does that help in American politics when (I presume) Christianity is by a large margin the biggest faith?

Circinus

The comment is pretty weird. Why couldn't atheists celebrate Christmas and/or say "merry Christmas"? I would argue that Christmas is much more of a cultural tradition than solely a religious event. And even as a religious event, non-religious people would of course still able to partake in it if they want.

And I would say that religion being very important is something many people recognize, regardless whether they're religious or atheistic.

Ecotic

It's interesting following Zuckerberg. The guy is already immensely powerful as the head of Facebook and being a young ultra-billionaire so if he wants to be political he's not going to settle for a lowly House seat. He either wants to be Governor of California or Senator, either of which he can use to run for President should he choose one day.

STUPID PLEBEIANS OF FAITH AM I RIGHT??? LMAO
Where did I call religious people stupid?
I know plenty of religious people who are smarter than me.
I just happen to believe that this one belief they hold is totally divorced from all intelligent thought and so in my mind it would mean moving backwards if I ever became religious again (not that I ever was, but I was raised in the church and at one point did "believe") and I hope I never have to resort to that level of divorcement from "reality" just to comfort myself.
Though even I have beliefs that are divorced from the ultimate "realities" of existence to keep myself going, religious belief is just one step I have no interest in taking.
stay euphoric, my friend
I have no involvement with /r/atheism or skeptic community types.
ATHEISM LMAO
Yes.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I disagree. I think religion is behind a good amount of the world's problems and we'd be better off without it.

Religion is largely an excuse, not the cause. Groups of people with opposing opinions would find a way to fight each other, with or without religion.

Where did I call religious people stupid?
I know plenty of religious people who are smarter than me.
I just happen to believe that this one belief they hold is totally divorced from all intelligent thought and so in my mind it would mean moving backwards if I ever became religious again (not that I ever was, but I was raised in the church and at one point did "believe") and I hope I never have to resort to that level of divorcement from "reality" just to comfort myself.
Though even I have beliefs that are divorced from the ultimate "realities" of existence to keep myself going, religious belief is just one step I have no interest in taking.

It might be just me, but I find it incredibly naive to say "what I see is all that exists".

I was raised Christian. I found it harder to believe the bible as a child, and I really connected with one of the priests at our church who was really open about those stories and not taking them literally.

I simply cannot believe that something greater doesn't exist - in a universe (or beyond) of infinite possibilities, I find it far more likely than not. But I'm never going to say that I know for definite what that is. Because I'd be wrong. But it's important to me to have faith, and I don't see why expressing that in the form of Christianity is an inappropriate way to do that.

Religion is largely an excuse, not the cause. Groups of people with opposing opinions would find a way to fight each other, with or without religion.
Why do people always say this?
Religion intrinsically diminishing critical thinking skills and while yes obviously humans will always have reasons to fight, religion provides one powerful reason too many.

Joni

Why do people always say this?
Religion intrinsically diminishing critical thinking skills and while yes obviously humans will always have reasons to fight, religion provides one powerful reason too many.

Because most of those people fighting for religion, tend to fall in the power or nationalism categories.

SMattera

It's much more complicated than that.

For example, in the US, 80%+ of people that are not religious support abortion rights.

jts

...hate me...
He got the fear of death.

Also known as the reason for religion to exist in the first place.

nekkid

It's much more complicated than that.

For example, in the US, 80%+ of people that are not religious support abortion rights.

Religion is part of culture, but it's the groupthink of culture that's generally to blame.

Monocle

Well whatever. Maybe he's trying to curry favor with Trump supporters. Maybe he's discovered the comforts of tradition.

Obviously it would be a little embarrassing if he suddenly decided that religious claims about nature are literally true and god is proven for sure. You don't see educatated atheists fall into that sort of regression very often, unless they were primed for belief all along.

People doubted he could be an atheist because... he said merry christmas ? Americans have issues.
Americans? Plenty of us observe Christmas as a secular holiday.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'm a Christian, my wife is an Atheist.

I think religion or lack of religion is a personal choice. For some people, religion is good for them. Perhaps it gives them direction, or focus, or guidance, and some people don't need religion. Ultimately, it's a personal aspect of their life, and is none of my business. Also, questioning your faith is never a bad idea in my opinion. In general, I feel like introspection is important whether you're religious or not.

I don't see anything wrong with Zuckerberg deciding maybe religion was important to him after all. And if he decides it's not for him and his family later, that's fine too. It's really no big deal. My issue comes when people use religion as a means to shit on other people and try and dictate what's "best" for their lives.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That's a shame. But oh well.

It's both. Pretending that religion is not the root of a lot of evil going on in this world is very ignorant and/or naive.

Monocle

You mean it hasn't
Getting a whiff of crocodile tears here. GAF has always been open to reasonable religious discussions where claims are supported with sources.

It's both. Pretending that religion is not the root of a lot of evil going on in this world is very ignorant and/or naive.
Yep, religion actively encourages some serious bullshit. The idea that every bad effect of religion results from the wrong interpretation doesn't hold any water at all. Utterly amateur apologetics.

SMattera

Religion is part of culture, but it's the groupthink of culture that's generally to blame.

There are a lot of beliefs and practices that are derived directly from religious texts and teachings. Another example -- alcohol consumption is totally banned in Saudi Arabia. If it wasn't an overwhelmingly Muslim country, I doubt very much that this would be the case.

nekkid

There are a lot of beliefs and practices that are derived directly from religious texts and teachings. Another example -- alcohol consumption is totally banned in Saudi Arabia. If it wasn't an overwhelmingly Muslim country, I doubt very much that this would be the case.

There's two things going on here, though. Faith and organised religion. I do agree with you on the latter, which is generally a derivative of the law of cultures.

Religion as a belief in something is too often criticised unfairly.

SMattera

There's two things going on here, though. Faith and organised religion. I do agree with you on the latter, which is generally a derivative of the law of cultures.

When most people say religion causes a lot of bad in the world, they generally mean the rigid dogmas and belief systems associated with various religions. Not an abstract concept like faith. Although the first does require the second.

Monocle

When most people say religion causes a lot of bad in the world, they generally mean the rigid dogmas and belief systems associated with various religions. Not an abstract concept like faith. Although the first does require the second.
Faith is problematic because it's literally belief without evidence. That's obviously a problematic thing when you live in a world of practical realities, where beliefs influence behavior, which influences society and directly affects the lives of others.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

You know what else is too often criticised unfairly? Criticism agains religion. There's often a sense that you're not really "allowed" to criticise or question (which many tend to take as criticism) religious beliefs, which is of course silly.

Blind faith (which is what religious beliefs are entirely made up of) is certainly problematic in and of itself, as it discourages critical thinking, asking questions, etc.

nekkid

I'm not sure. I think most people who say that are just lumping them in together.

You know what else is too often criticised unfairly? Criticism agains religion. There's often a sense that you're not really "allowed" to criticise or question (which many tend to take as criticism) religious beliefs, which is of course silly.

It's quite clear you have a particular beef with religion in general, but I don't think the cherry picking of points to argue does much good.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think people are blowing this out of proportion. I was raised Catholic and I can see 'religion is very important' but I'm about as far from religious or from 'finding religion' myself - and all that's associated with that - as one can probably be. Of course, whether he is or isn't religious is entirely his own matter, and perhaps he indeed now is, but I don't find that statement very illuminating.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm not sure. I think most people who say that are just lumping them in together.

It's quite clear you have a particular beef with religion in general, but I don't think the cherry picking of points to argue does much good.

I certainly have a beef with it being viewed as something "above" criticism and questioning. That can be very damaging. As can a lot of other aspects of it.

I think people are blowing this out of proportion. I was raised Catholic and I can see 'religion is very important' but I'm about as far from religious or from 'finding religion' myself - and all that's associated with that - as one can probably be. Of course, whether he is or isn't religious is entirely his own matter, and perhaps he indeed now is, but I don't find that statement very illuminating.

But he replied "No" to the question of whether or not he is an atheist. That means he doesn't just "find religion important" but does in fact consider himself religious.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
As an atheist who has family in the Catholic Church. Good for him.

This doesn't mean anything. I'm glad he's found a philosophical grounding to live his life.

His felliings, are bit Facebook at large. So I think getting rid of fake news is paramount.

MUnited83

For you.
I disagree in the fact that greed, selfishness, and pure humanity is behind all of the world's problems. Religion is merely a tool that can be used to enable such feelings. Take away religion, and you'll still find plenty of ways to cause trouble. Just look at some of the officially atheistic governments of the past few centuries and tell me how few problems they had.

Democratic Secularism has had a pretty good track record, much better than any Theocratic governments I can think off.

Most popular religions in the past were literally propaganda. They became popular because rulers saw the mind control potential and justification for waging wars. Some religions today are still used like that, while some others turned into elaborate scams for money and votes.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
But he replied "No" to the question of whether or not he is an atheist. That means he doesn't just "find religion important" but does in fact consider himself religious.

True enough but there's a huge gulf between saying you're not an atheist and in identifying as 'religious', at least in what I understand the latter to mean. Most of the people I know would say they're not atheists but only a handful are remotely religious or even practising. It's not really important where Zuckerberg falls on the spectrum but his statement doesn't give much indication.

It might be just me, but I find it incredibly naive to say "what I see is all that exists".

I was raised Christian. I found it harder to believe the bible as a child, and I really connected with one of the priests at our church who was really open about those stories and not taking them literally.

I simply cannot believe that something greater doesn't exist - in a universe (or beyond) of infinite possibilities, I find it far more likely than not. But I'm never going to say that I know for definite what that is. Because I'd be wrong. But it's important to me to have faith, and I don't see why expressing that in the form of Christianity is an inappropriate way to do that.

I think the notion of a greater power is an incredibly mundane answer for all that we know has happened.

I also think the institutions based around religion are vile and a detriment to most societies. Including a myriad of rituals and preconceived notions that get passed on from generation to generation.

KNT-Zero

Yeah, religion is very important when your advertising platform causes a massive breach in society and you don't know who to turn to when you fuck up badly.

Breakage

Facebook is a cult and Zuck is its leader. He just wants to make the world more “open and connected” for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom