• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT3| 80.8 % Certified Fresh

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Can we do Excel lists like the boxoffice betting guys?
It looks like a lot of fun and we can have a chart in the OP and everything with the guy or gal with the most wins.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I should probably have aimed higher in consideration of the fact Doctor Strange ended up with 90%.

I mean, Doctor Strange? Come on.

Can we do Excel lists like the boxoffice betting guys?
It looks like a lot of fun and we can have a chart in the OP and everything with the guy or gal with the most wins.

Hey man, if you want to put one together...go for it!

I should probably have aimed higher in consideration of the fact Doctor Strange ended up with 90%.

I mean, Doctor Strange? Come on.

Doctor Strange was one of the most visually unique blockbusters in a long time. That's probably the only reason it got that. Spidey won't have that luxury.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Doctor Strange was one of the most visually unique blockbusters in a long time. That's probably the only reason it got that. Spidey won't have that luxury.

Films shouldn't be judged like view-master reels for children! They should have stories that satisfy and characters that are at least faintly developed and engaging!

SpaceWolf

Banned
I think, apart from that trippy sequence, Guardians 2 did the whole otherworldly visuals thing better than Strange.

Oh man alive, yeah.

the-enclave-planet-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-credit-marvel-studios.jpg

I can't see Homecoming being bad, especially being Marvel Studios chance to finally take a crack at the character. I'm guessing at the very least, it'll land in the 80s.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The contestants so far
sW5TBFZ.jpg

Last day of entry is the 28.7.
The score that matters is when the movie drops in the last major region on the 14.7.

Rotten Tomatoes predictions for Homecoming?

I'll go with a cautious 67%.

Going to go (fairly) low with 76%. Higher than the ASM movies but a low one for the MCU.

I'm feel like with this being the 6th Spider-Man movie overall it's not going to score any points for newness/novelty. Probably going to be a lot of people going in knowing exactly what they expect from a Spider-Man movie and unless the movie throws some curve balls at them they're not going to respond the way they did to something like Doctor Strange/Wonder Woman, where expectations were generally uninformed/low.

Reading Toomes/Vulture/Keaton is just meh fucking kills me. His design is so cool and after the shit-ass electro and hobgoblin I had high hopes for a good villain like doc ock.

I have faith though, still supporting Holland and the kids. And Jon Watts seems like a good guy so hopefully he can complete the sequel if he has it mapped already.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Reading Toomes/Vulture/Keaton is just meh fucking kills me. His design is so cool and after the shit-ass electro and hobgoblin I had high hopes for a good villain like doc ock.

I have faith though, still supporting Holland and the kids.

You can be happy, that dude thinks that Suicide Squad is a great movie, so his opinion should not be taken to seriously ;)

Marvel gotta get their shit together when it comes to villains. And no, I don't think Ego was a particularly good one either.

He was good imo. A bit one note but it fit in perfect with the b movie feel gunn was going for.

Mikkelson still hurts though, I hoped he was secretly doom. I dont anyone but him to play the monarch of Latveria

Why should Robert Downey Jr. spend a day on a set where he has nothing to shot? He can be there just to hang out with the other, but its more likely that they have a scene together.
Unless some of the movie is Stark with Star Lord et al and then he's like 'so, I've totally got to go and warn people/gather the stones' - Meets Thor, Thor leads him to Strange, etc...

I still think this will be multiple perspectives but I don't see why Stark can't either tie-in to that or lag behind/in front of Thanos' efforts.

But yeah, I had kind of assumed this movie would follow Thanos attacking several places with different heroes in each and then a final team-up shot of the Avengers+Guardians as a cock tease for 'part 2.'

The contestants so far
sW5TBFZ.jpg

Last day of entry is the 28.7.
The score that matters is when the movie drops in the last major region on the 14.7.
I'll jump in with 87%

Cautiously optimistic 75% on rt.

I always say marvel is due of another misstep but they (in recent memory) have proven me wrong. We'll see how vulture and shocker play out.

curb

Banned
Marvel gotta get their shit together when it comes to villains. And no, I don't think Ego was a particularly good one either.

I have a hard time even thinking of Ego as the villain of the film. I know he technically is but to me, he's not like Ronan or Malekith. I see him more like Hammer in that he's threatening not because he's overly evil, but more because he's just self-centered and has resources.

And yeah, Marvel has got to do better by their villains. Please don't mess up Thanos.

Villains arent just a Marvel problem Dc and Fox has it too. 4 movies into the dcverse and what great villains do they have? Zod? Faora? Fox has the opposite problem because I'm fucking BORED TO TEARS of magneto and friends. Apocalypse is 10x as worse as malkieth could dream to be.

The MCU problem is just exasperated because of how long it's been around. And apart from loki they dont Immediately stand out.

Maybe the reality is that Feige just has a Hero first mindset, and everything else comes second. And I don't think his mind is going to change.

Maybe the reality is that Feige just has a Hero first mindset, and everything else comes second. And I don't think his mind is going to change.
His objective is to build a giant franchise of lovable heroes that he can keep reusing to make more and more movies and even more lovable heroes. So no time for the villains.

curb

Banned
I'm totally fine with some villains being disposable. Kill Malekith? Sure, that's fine. By contrast, did we really need to completely eliminate Ultron? To me, despite some wonkiness in his portrayal, no - I'd much rather he be able to show up again.

Platy

Both Ragnarok and BP got their first teaser around eight months prior to their release. If they keep that up, around September. Though SDCC and D23 goers will probably get something next month.

The problem is that Infinity War is a sequel to Ragnarok and BP, SPECIALLY ragnarok... so I am guessing we will get our first glimpse WITH ragnarok

I'm going to say around 80%, low 80s for Homecoming. It's Marvel finally doing Spider-Man; they'll going to put their best foot forward.

Edit: 83%

The Kree

Banned
I'm totally fine with some villains being disposable. Kill Malekith? Sure, that's fine. By contrast, did we really need to completely eliminate Ultron? To me, despite some wonkiness in his portrayal, no - I'd much rather he be able to show up again.

You know Ultron is not killable. He can come back easier than anyone else.

curb

Banned
You know Ultron is not killable. He can come back easier than anyone else.

I do realize that but it's not like Loki where we know he's still out there. His arc in AoU concludes and he could stay gone forever. There's no tease of his survival. Sure, he's dead until he's not but in a practical sense, he's currently just as dead as Ronan or Yellowjacket. His end in AoU to me feels as conclusive as most of the other MCU villains and to me, it wasn't absolutely necessary.

Top Bottom