• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

Hey new to the game and thread guys, but been really getting into it. I have Colossus at around 35 and got Jean Grey from my first random hero box, but haven't played her yet.

Quick Q: What is the best way to play Colossus? I checked out a couple builds on marvelbase, but I really like summoning Wolvie and most of the builds I saw had me specc'ing out of Fastball Special. Anyway, do any Colossus players have any tips on really good builds? I also really like Stomp and Titanic Slam so I have gone pretty deep into both of those, but I probably should be going deeper into some of the passives.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Hey new to the game and thread guys, but been really getting into it. I have Colossus at around 35 and got Jean Grey from my first random hero box, but haven't played her yet.

Quick Q: What is the best way to play Colossus? I checked out a couple builds on marvelbase, but I really like summoning Wolvie and most of the builds I saw had me specc'ing out of Fastball Special. Anyway, do any Colossus players have any tips on really good builds? I also really like Stomp and Titanic Slam so I have gone pretty deep into both of those, but I probably should be going deeper into some of the passives.

speccing out? pft

my lvl 60 colossus:

20 in Wolvie, 20 in Illyana, 20 in Bullwark (defense and health passive), 20 in Colossal Punch for single target, 20 in Colossal Roar and 20 in titanic Smash for aoe (smash also for jumping over shit its fun)

then 1 in Reeling Punch for spirit regen when im out, 1 in Osmium Skin, 1 in heroic challenge if I need to taunt, 8 in vanguard aura (because I dont like to go full tank on my chars, only semi tank, but thats a preference thing)

I soloed everything in the game with this, havent done many cosmic terminals tho

speccing out? pft

my lvl 60 colossus:

20 in Wolvie, 20 in Illyana, 20 in Bullwark (defense and health passive), 20 in Colossal Punch for single target, 20 in Colossal Roar and 20 in titanic Smash for aoe (smash also for jumping over shit its fun)

then 1 in Reeling Punch for spirit regen when im out, 1 in Osmium Skin, 1 in heroic challenge if I need to taunt, 8 in vanguard aura (because I dont like to go full tank on my chars, only semi tank, but thats a preference thing)

I soloed everything in the game with this, havent done many cosmic terminals tho

Thanks! I'll probably just mess around for a while anyway until raids come out and my buddies force me to min/max.

Vecks

A few of us prefer using summons on Colossus. It's probably not best, but you won't have a tough time even if you spec for summons because he's already an insanely good tanky DPS.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Eh... you are meant to experiment over several characters, not iterate on the same one. Yes, it is easy to fudge it, but that is part of the fun. Those are not wasted hours, because hopefully you learned something and acquired enough loot that your next time around your build will be better. You are not meant to take 1 character and use that one only up to the endgame, unless you know by then exactly what you are doing. I don't think it punishes experimentation, if anything, it pushes it more. It does need more commitment, but that is because the game is supposed to be the more hardcore of the bunch. Just know that from the start and you should be fine.

You and I have very different definitions of fun. There is zero reason to not allow respecs. What's the value in leveling a character again instead of just resetting your skill points? What if I want to just try some build to see if I like it/if it's fun? Instead it wants me to either spend hundreds of hours figuring out a great build or just get the min-maxed one from the forums. So to me that negates the entire point of their open-ended skill system. Spending more time =/= hardcore. The game should be hard because of mechanics, not because you made a mistake with your character so you might as well throw him out the damn window. I think it's a terrible design philopsophy.

Re: Colossus, I specced out of pets at 60 because they're beyond useless in Cosmic terminals, but up until that point they're pretty good. If you want to build for pets, that's perfectly viable for like 95% of the content, and I did.

Ploid 3.0

I respec all the time in PoE unless I have a carefully planned build before I start that don't require a respec after a certain point. You can respec but respec orbs is currency. It's all about what are you willing to give up or sacrifice for a mistake or a change of heart.

3E7Lw8U.png

Perfect name for it too.

Also there are planning calculators on PoE's site (the passive tree) and a app that's even better with detailed stats and tabs.

It's a different strokes for different folks situation. To you it's a waste of time, to me it's like starting a new game of civilization or a new don't starve. Especially on hardcore or a new ladder/race.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
i cant imagine not being able to easily respec in any type of rpg or mmo

inky

You and I have very different definitions of fun.

That we do.

There is zero reason to not allow respecs.

There's plenty of reasons: to create real attachment to your character and the itmes you equip it with, to encourage you to take your leveling and skill points seriously, to give everyone an identical baseline every time there's a new league/race, to prevent people from just making a "fastest leveling" build, then switching it out once you get to maps or whatever to their real build, gaining a considerable advantage over those who don't do that (especially in race formats). And even then let's not forget they do allow you to respec -a certain number of points, and if you want to respec your whole character you can certainly do that too (you've always had the option) it is just very expensive to do it.

What's the value in leveling a character again instead of just resetting your skill points? What if I want to just try some build to see if I like it/if it's fun? Instead it wants me to either spend hundreds of hours figuring out a great build or just get the min-maxed one from the forums.

Well, yes, the value is committing to a build from early game to end-game. Your build is the skill points you have when you kill Brutus for the first time, and the skill points allocation when you do your first map. Your build is each of the choices you made, including the bandit quests. Your "build" is every step of that process. The value is in the gear and currency you've acquired and knowledge of the game mechanics, farming areas and bosses you've gone through. Yes, spending time with each of your characters is exactly what the game wants you to do. Figuring out stuff over time, not the instant gratification of having your endgame build one and done without going through the leveling process with each character first.

So to me that negates the entire point of their open-ended skill system. Spending more time =/= hardcore. The game should be hard because of mechanics, not because you made a mistake with your character so you might as well throw him out the damn window. I think it's a terrible design philopsophy.

Spending more time absolutely = hardcore. It is like that on games like Dark Souls or roguelikes. It is the very basis of character progression in RPGs; the more time you spend, the more knowledgeable and powerful you become. That is why you lose partial or complete progress if you die. That is why each level during the endgame takes considerably more time than the one before, that is why there are ladders based on getting further and further, spending as much time on a single character as you possibly can. The skills system just gives you the freedom to come up with something new every time, to find a different way if previously you didn't succeed.

Just because you don't like it, it means it's bad design. It is great design actually, one that tests you in ways many other games don't.

Ploid 3.0

Put two of my characters into prestige to try another costume craft and turned out with another good one. Ms. Marvel Agent of S.W.O.R.D.

Total results of all my costume synthesis.

Scarlet: Heroes Reborn

Punisher: Marvel Now

Black Widow: Thunderbolt

--
Fortune Card 4: Ultimate Deadpool

Fortune Card 1: Iron Man Stealth

Grave yard full of costumeless heroes = 10 souls.

Inky, respeccing in PoE is not hard at all. I've done it over 100 times (probably bought over 1000 regret orbs during my time playing). They're worth nothing. Just one Exalted can get you ~15 regrets on average over the past year. That's nothing. This completely refutes your argument. The only way your point stands is if you're strictly talking about casual or semi-casual players who maybe put in 5-6 hours per week that would have a difficult time accumulating 'wealth' in-game. I played the game for over two years and was wealthy for most of it. Not just in standard either but temp leagues as well, and HC. Amassing 40, 50, 70, however regrets you need is a joke to do. That's like 4 exalted.

inky

Well, I've played the game for about 300-400 hours total since beta, so maybe that is not that long. I've never felt the need to buy or use regrets (I've half respecced my summoner once). I'd rather just start a new character, and I prefer racing to doing endgame anyways, although I do have a few characters which I use(d) to do maps.

I think my point still stands, it is not as easy as just buying a respec potion and there is certainly more of a commitment to planning your build, at least I would say in the first 1-200 hours of play where those exalts are better spent elsewhere or not even that common, and certainly you wouldn't have dozens of them, particularly on a new league. Obviously if you are an experienced player. getting to 70-80 in a week to farm currency shouldn't be that much of a problem and after a few months of playing, sure, 4 exalts isn't exactly much.

Then, if everyone else's experience is similar to yours so that anyone can respec hundreds of times easily, the game is clearly not badly designed at all in that regard, which is why I was arguing for in the end. I still feel the game absolutely encourages you to experiment through new characters rather than respec the ones you have over and over.

Rhaknar

I would like to take a second to thank every one if you guys that scrounges the official forums, the devs tend to post new info in the weirdest places but you guys always get at it right away, this is pretty much my main source of information, so I would like to say thanks

Ploid 3.0

Got 10 splinters from one of the final chests of cosmic mandarin twice! in three runs.

I just got the 10 splinters thing one time outside of test server and it was from a cosmic chest too.
----

Well, I've played the game for about 300-400 hours total since beta, so maybe that is not that long. I've never felt the need to buy or use regrets (I've half respecced my summoner once). I'd rather just start a new character, and I prefer racing to doing endgame anyways, although I do have a few characters which I use(d) to do maps.

I once wanted to respec into some other path and did it but it tore a hole in my currency and such. I came across wanting to respec another character but just went and leveled a new one. Fast and fun + I got new currency since grinding levels in a level lower than you are seem to get you less currency, but doing it while progressing through stuff in areas higher than you give you a better chance to find the good currency and stuff.

I may have had 4 exalts total. Sold some for chaos orbs. I tried to buy regrets once but that was a bit of a pain so I just let it go.

I would like to take a second to thank every one if you guys that scrounges the official forums, the devs tend to post new info in the weirdest places but you guys always get at it right away, this is pretty much my main source of information, so I would like to say thanks

The main forums have a feature, like Diablo 3's forums, where you can see what Gazillion devs and community managers posted.

Thinking about giving Ms Marvel my melee uru weapon.

Inky, respeccing in PoE is not hard at all. I've done it over 100 times (probably bought over 1000 regret orbs during my time playing). They're worth nothing. Just one Exalted can get you ~15 regrets on average over the past year. That's nothing. This completely refutes your argument. The only way your point stands is if you're strictly talking about casual or semi-casual players who maybe put in 5-6 hours per week that would have a difficult time accumulating 'wealth' in-game. I played the game for over two years and was wealthy for most of it. Not just in standard either but temp leagues as well, and HC. Amassing 40, 50, 70, however regrets you need is a joke to do. That's like 4 exalted.

So I didn't play it for long, but I did have a couple of characters into the level 70 range, and I never found a single exalted orb, nor did I find anything worth a damn either. 4 exalted was FAR from a joke for me. Perhaps that has changed now that the economy has existed for much longer in SC, but it wasn't that simple to respec.

The game was always more about leveling a new character though. Rather than respeccing a character from scratch, you could participate in a new ladder or race with a new concept and build entirely. That was the fun for me. MH doesn't have that since leveling a character is basically one and done unless you prestige.

Is Odin's Palace the only place with an enchanter?

Do I need to travel there from Avengers Tower every time I bodyslide back to sell stuff now that my crafter is 20?

Ploid 3.0

Ploid, you have a melee Ms Marvel? How effective is she compared to the Photonics tree?

She hits like a truck, but I just gave her the energy uru weapon. The cosmics will beat her up. :*(

With the taunt artifact and Modoc medallion (I have about 5 of those in cosmic due to the marathon cosmic modoc farming this weekend) you can get a crazy amount of damage rating each time you taunt or proc taunt with a normal hit. That + her hard hitting physical basic and stuff would have been so nice.

Rhaknar

Hmm Spidey almost 60, at a bit of a loss who to tackle next. Nightcrawler seems fun, but there are so many of them around at the moment (I can't let that stop me tho because otherwise I won't play any new hero as they come out).

Gambit, I'm waiting for the Death costume, Widow and Panther I'm waiting for the reviews this month... Pheonix or Cable maybe, at least until 30. I actually really want to try Ghost Rider lately, but I'm 100 splinters or so short.

I could play my 60s for awhile and farm those splinters for GR... nah that's silly talk :p

GManDH

while it is very unlikely MH is doing a stream Friday and are accepting questions. Go post all your questions and hopefully one of us gets ours answered? or we can all post the same questions. im sure if 50 ppl post the same question one of us will get answered!?!

Gothos

So, I decided to level up a bit my Daredevil and he's not really that bad. Really nice single target DPS + Rebounding club is really good for clearing trash. Obviosuly, since he is through and through a dodge hero he has problems with survavibility and kiting is sometimes a must, especially in MM. I also had some terrible RNG luck with him. Got two uniques today and guess what, none of them were for him or even for any hero, lol - one for Punisher and one for Deadpool. FML...

Blank!

She hits like a truck, but I just gave her the energy uru weapon. The cosmics will beat her up. :*(

With the taunt artifact and Modoc medallion (I have about 5 of those in cosmic due to the marathon cosmic modoc farming this weekend) you can get a crazy amount of damage rating each time you taunt or proc taunt with a normal hit. That + her hard hitting physical basic and stuff would have been so nice.

I don't know Ms Marvel so disregard this if this doesn't apply... but I see a lot of people recommending Modok Medal not realizing that Taunt (even the proc) is subject to CC diminishing returns/immunity.

What this means is that if you CC the boss with ANYTHING, the next application of CC will last half the duration... and after that they're completely immune for a time. I don't know about Ms Marvel, but this ends up being a huge bummer for Thing where pretty much all his attacks carry some form of CC.

To maximize (read: use) the taunt status against a boss, I have to walk (not rockslide charge or else I'll knock down the boss) to the boss, taunt him, then whack him with basic attacks as all other attacks carry some form of CC on them. When the taunt wears off, I can re-taunt for half the duration and then start headbutting/whatever (the boss will be immune to CC at that point). After that, it's a crap shoot if I'll manage to taunt him when the immunity wears off or if a random headbutt will knock him down and I'll lose out on the chance to taunt him.

Basically, don't rely on the taunt unless you have a 'good' taunt (lil deadpool/hawkeye arrow) as those seem to be reliable taunts.

inky

Yea, CC has diminishing returns. Ms Marvel also has a taunt in her kit (5 sec duration) so you don't really need an artifact on top of that imo. The only other ability in Ms Marvel's Brawling tree that has a CC component is the kick (knockdown), so you are free to punch away with the others if you are solely focusing on melee.

It's good for solo play, but I wouldn't use it in a party. I also go hybrid on Ms Marvel, so I really haven't tested it, Maybe it works well.

Ploid 3.0

I always play solo, and the taunt is a bonus. I throw it out before I do anything then start my rotation of crashdown, Photonic wave, and radiant cascade. The taunt has no recast cool down so before my crashdown is ready again I hit it first. It's very controllable, same with Scarlet Witch's CC for example, I make sure I put bewildering hex on it before I try to vacuum the trash to the boss. Good thing her bewildering hex lasts a while.

Ms. Marvel's Taunt also weakens enemies so it's good to use it anyway, especially on bosses.

KePoW

Banned
It's good for solo play, but I wouldn't use it in a party. I also go hybrid on Ms Marvel, so I really haven't tested it, Maybe it works well.

Yeah I like hybrid on Ms. Marvel. But I don't min-max, it's just what feels most fun for her.

Just found this running the cosmic MODOK terminal and was curious if anyone knew if it had good rolls for the stats or not. I know they are popular so wasn't sure how good this one was.

Are there any good sites out there for information on the rollable range for items like how D2 had the arreat summit? would help with parsing what stuff is worth holding on to or not :l

inky

The only site I know of is http://mhcompendium.com/ but it isn't particularly up to date. Even during beta I argued that MH data resources were very poor, and I understand the game changes a lot, but the devs seem more inclined to let the people find out that stuff and run the fan sites, instead of providing this information.

Here's mine for a comparison:

KoWBstg.png

The only site I know of is http://mhcompendium.com/ but it isn't particularly up to date. Even during beta I argued that MH data resources were very poor, and I understand the game changes a lot, but the devs seem more inclined to let the people find out that stuff and run the fan sites, instead of providing this information.

Here's mine for a comparison:

Ok thanks, shame that there isn't an official info dump site yet as I used the arreat summit like crazy back during D2. Guess I will just keep an eye out on other peoples to see how much higher or lower they get to try to gauge what mind is worth.

Blank!

Just found this running the cosmic MODOK terminal and was curious if anyone knew if it had good rolls for the stats or not. I know they are popular so wasn't sure how good this one was.

Are there any good sites out there for information on the rollable range for items like how D2 had the arreat summit? would help with parsing what stuff is worth holding on to or not :l

I've seen as high as low 600's and as low as low 500's. Atm, they're pretty damn popular almost regardless of roll so you can kind of have your pick of the crop. I'd honestly try to move it sooner rather than later if you don't plan on using it, I'm doubtful it'll have the same lasting value as pym shrink/HoD does.

Rhaknar

I would use that modok artifact on my emma in a second

edit: err what am I missing with Maximum Spider? I used it on Kingping when Elektra and Bullseye were out (superheroic) and it barely did any damage?

Ploid 3.0

Dang man, grats, I've been running that thing all weekend + monday and couldn't get it. I even had up to 360 rare item find at one point. Some day it will be mine, but for now I'll let it rest.

Dang man, grats, I've been running that thing all weekend + monday and couldn't get it. I even had up to 360 rare item find at one point. Some day it will be mine, but for now I'll let it rest.

I only put in like 15-20 runs of cosmic MODOK before getting it, been doing a couple runs a day for a little now since it has 3 bounty chests, a chance at the cosmic doctor octopus medallion and an easy boss that drops a worthwhile item.

No rare item or special item find for me though.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I got mine within an hour of doing cosmic runs. Tried a few T4 Reds, didn't get it, did a handful of cosmic runs and got it. Was a bad roll, 480, but I rerolled it and came out 580, not too shabby.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Hey there guys, I'm very excited for you all to get to see and test out Runewords and armor Enchanting. Let me just explain a few things that you need to know before you get to crafting!

@AFongTwo will be putting some test items into the store for your Runeword needs. One of these items will be a re-usable giftbox that will spawn a 5 Random Runes. The other one will be a consumable box that has a random Uru-Forged item base.

Currently, there are about 39 Runes that can drop, and there are 12 Uru-Forged base items. The Uru-Forged base items are set at two levels: Level 25, and Level 50.

Once you've accumulated a nice pile of Runes and base items, you can start enchanting. The Enchanter should be accessible now in all hubs. Interact with the enchanter and choose a Runeword, and then input the appropriate runes as well as your base item. Create some Runewords and try them out! Keep in mind that a Level 25 Runeword will have around half of the stat values of a Level 50 item.

You can also enchant your gear. This only requires one rune, and any level of gear that is of Epic Rarity or higher.

Runes and Uru-Forged items will also be dropping in all areas of the game.

I can't wait to hear your feedback on Runewords. Please report any and all bugs that you find!

Some known issues for Testcenter:

Some Any Hero Uniques are not accepted as an input for Enchantment causing crafting failure.

Enchantments will remove the display name on gear.

Are Runewords RiF or SiF?

They're SIF.

all from doomsaw on forums, cant wait to test them

inky

Tested a few of the runes and uru gear. Anything that helps enhance your build is good in my book and they seem pretty powerful.

Dat dwindling stash room tho... I have 8 tabs and they are not enough now.

Blank!

Tested a few of the runes and uru gear. Anything that helps enhance your build is good in my book and they seem pretty powerful.

what sort of buffs and stuff? Too lazy to log into test, working on hitting 20 on enchanter atm.

Rhaknar

so they go on those lvl 25 and 50 uru items correct? I have a few

lvl 50 range on emma and hawkeye (and still have one in bank), lvl 25 melee on...someone? I also got a lvl 25 defense in the bank

Top Bottom