• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

Permanently A

Because you are new to the game you've probally been placed in an "easy" bracket-with other players with similar experience and rosters. If you're cranking away-you should be good. If you're number one with a half hour left-you're in good shape-might even be worth using a 3 hour Shield right now for 75 HP to retain a high rank and not get hit again.

Hm, interesting. I've only been attacked once all day, and I'm 597 and the #2 is 492. I'm gonna keep plugging away until I hit 725 or 850. Not sure if I should use a shield.

zulux21

Hm, interesting. I've only been attacked once all day, and I'm 597 and the #2 is 492. I'm gonna keep plugging away until I hit 725 or 850. Not sure if I should use a shield.

fair warning, it isn't uncommon to climb and barely be attacked but once you reach a certain point threashold you get destroyed.

I've lost track of the number of times I was climbing and not being attacked to only do one more match and be down 100+ points.

Permanently A

fair warning, it isn't uncommon to climb and barely be attacked but once you reach a certain point threashold you get destroyed.

I've lost track of the number of times I was climbing and not being attacked to only do one more match and be down 100+ points.

Duly noted.

Also I just hit rank 8, how do I choose a favorite hero and who should I pick? I've got a nice bundle of tokens waiting.

Dalek

Duly noted.

Also I just hit rank 8, how do I choose a favorite hero and who should I pick? I've got a nice bundle of tokens waiting.

To choose a favorite character you have to tap the heart icon on their cover in your collection. When you draw a token and get a character, there's a small chance of getting a bonus character too. For instance I have only listed Dr. Strange as my favorite 3* so everytime I happen to get a bonus 3* cover, it's always going to be Dr. Strange.

Do NOT use a shield. The ONLY thing you should spend HP on is roster slots.
Also, do not open any legendary tokens or spend CP until you have 3 stars close to being championed.

Permanently A

Also, do not open any legendary tokens or spend CP until you have 3 stars close to being championed.

Ok thanks. What does "championed" mean?

To choose a favorite character you have to tap the heart icon on their cover in your collection. When you draw a token and get a character, there's a small chance of getting a bonus character too. For instance I have only listed Dr. Strange as my favorite 3* so everytime I happen to get a bonus 3* cover, it's always going to be Dr. Strange.

Who do you recommend I should favorite?

Dalek

Ok thanks. What does "championed" mean?

Who do you recommend I should favorite?

the two best 3 Star characters off the top of my head that I would recommend are Iron Man and Dr. Strange. Iron Man can quickly make AP for your other characters to use. Dr. Strange is really great for fighting in the PVE rounds.

When you reach the max level for a character you can "champion" them by spending some ISO. When you do this-you can use any future additional covers you recieve for this character to apply towards them and you'll get extra bonus rewards. It's hard to describe unless you actually see it in action-but you should definitely do so. When you champion a 2 star, the champion rewards will include 3 star covers. When you champion a 3 star, the champion rewards will include 4 star covers.

zulux21

eh.... using a shield is fine as long as you are sure you will get that HP back.

if you are actually doing PVP using a shield is almost needed to get a good rank without mindlessly grinding for the last 2 hours of an event.

the two best 3 Star characters off the top of my head that I would recommend are Iron Man and Dr. Strange. Iron Man can quickly make AP for your other characters to use. Dr. Strange is really great for fighting in the PVE rounds.

When you reach the max level for a character you can "champion" them by spending some ISO. When you do this-you can use any future additional covers you recieve for this character to apply towards them and you'll get extra bonus rewards. It's hard to describe unless you actually see it in action-but you should definitely do so. When you champion a 2 star, the champion rewards will include 3 star covers. When you champion a 3 star, the champion rewards will include 4 star covers.

I think IF has a strong vote for best as well as his attack tiles can really speed things up.
and thanos is also really solid as his AOE skill hits hard and can really speed up things.

strange is great, but only really against goon nodes.

ironman is almost always great though :p

Triz

Yay I got first place!

Thanks for the advice guys. But why should I only favorite 3* and not 5*?

You won't pull a 5 star unless you are spending CP. As stated earlier you don't want to spend CP it will ruin your scaling. Focus on your 2 and 3 star characters, then you work on the 4 star transition (Ive been playing since game launch and still working on this transition.)

5 star is only if you want to dump $$$ and I mean $$$ into the game.

Permanently A

You won't pull a 5 star unless you are spending CP. As stated earlier you don't want to spend CP it will ruin your scaling. Focus on your 2 and 3 star characters, then you work on the 4 star transition (Ive been playing since game launch and still working on this transition.)

Ah I see, the basic tokens only pull 1 2 and 3 stars. Makes sense, thanks!

Spoit

Honestly, it's probably easier to just save and do the 5* transition, than the 4* one at this point. You just need to be able to do a few hundred pulls on the latest legends, and that should cover 2, possibly all 3 of them up.

eh.... using a shield is fine as long as you are sure you will get that HP back.

if you are actually doing PVP using a shield is almost needed to get a good rank without mindlessly grinding for the last 2 hours of an event.
He is very new. After an event or two, he will lose the newbie brackets and shielding will not be something to concern himself with.

Triz

I bought out the War Machine vault and finished him off. Now I really am hoarding the ISO for Blade....

Hit shield rank 82 and beat Punisher with my 147 Howard. Not redeeming the token though.

Standard: 1, 2, 3
Heroic: 2, 3, 4
Elite: 2, 3
Legendary: 4, 5

Did they change this recently? When they first introduced Elite tokens I know they said Standards couldn't pull 4* covers, but then clarified to say that they could but the chances are incredibly slim.

That Howard crash is always nerve wracking. I did beat Punisher however and got a Black Panther cover out of it.

Ha. My 0/0/2 Duck has zero chance. I can't believe people have fully covered Howards.

Dalek

Did they change this recently? When they first introduced Elite tokens I know they said Standards couldn't pull 4* covers, but then clarified to say that they could but the chances are incredibly slim.

Ha. My 0/0/2 Duck has zero chance. I can't believe people have fully covered Howards.

I only ever pulled one 4* from a standard token-a Nick Fury-and that was years ago.

zulux21

when they changed how the odds show with bonus heroes the 4* stuff went away from standards as well.

brickface

I NOW HAVE all the four stars again! Missed Iron Fist in the last PVE by about 50 places, but got him now. And managed to get my first Black Bolt from cashing in CP.

zulux21

I NOW HAVE all the four stars again! Missed Iron Fist in the last PVE by about 50 places, but got him now. And managed to get my first Black Bolt from cashing in CP.

im still just missing 2 5* right now and like 5 1* (even though I have 3 of them right now :p)

Permanently A

Damn pretty sure I've joined the big boy bracket, starting to see 3 and 4 stars in Versus. No more first place finishes for me!

Unrelated, how do you guys feel about upgrading 1* Black Widow's Purple ability? I have the covers but it increases the cost of the ability and I'm not sure that's a good thing. Also how far can I level her without putting her in the front for collecting Purple and Blue?

You shouldn't waste iso on 1 stars other than the one you plan to keep (iron man or jug probably). As soon as your 2 stars start getting covered, you won't be using them anymore except for DDQ.

Permanently A

You shouldn't waste iso on 1 stars other than the one you plan to keep (iron man or jug probably). As soon as your 2 stars start getting covered, you won't be using them anymore except for DDQ.

Is there a really strong 2* stunner? BW is really carrying me atm with her 5 turn stun

also the art is kinda dopey sometimes lol... they should hire the artists from Avengers Alliance, that game had some wonderful artwork

zulux21

Damn pretty sure I've joined the big boy bracket, starting to see 3 and 4 stars in Versus. No more first place finishes for me!

Unrelated, how do you guys feel about upgrading 1* Black Widow's Purple ability? I have the covers but it increases the cost of the ability and I'm not sure that's a good thing. Also how far can I level her without putting her in the front for collecting Purple and Blue?

how do I feel about black widow's purple ability?
FbVI6ZA.png
that is how I feel :p

Thanks again for the TUs, Zulu (when that 1 cover 5* guy doesn't get there first)

give me a few more months and i should have enough extra HP and enough standards to get 5 of the 1 star widow team ups with just blue covers lol.

I never even thought of stocking those for team ups.

Spoit - you're probably the most specific with your asks. Who do you typically want? I'm usually sending 3* DP, 2* OBW or a covered 4* like XForce or Flaptain. I typically don't send HB because his red drains your stock and his black self-damages.

None of my 5*s are over 4 covers so I don't bother.

zulux21

:p
yeah 9 for a 5 turn single target stun that also stuns the other two for a single turn is solid.

I mean the only possible competition for that is the 6 costing ice man 4 turn stun that I am not even sure can be sent as a team up o.o;

Spoit

Spoit - you're probably the most specific with your asks. Who do you typically want? I'm usually sending 3* DP, 2* OBW or a covered 4* like XForce or Flaptain. I typically don't send HB because his red drains your stock and his black self-damages.

None of my 5*s are over 4 covers so I don't bother.

I made a big post a month or two back, but speaking generally? Utility > damage. Stuns (MBW really is head and shoulders above everyone else at that), AP generation (OBW, GSBW, etc), and board control (JG purple, juggs, etc).

Otherwise, AoE damage is nice for lower level content, like blazing through DDQ. JG or DP are the best for those, because of their secondary effects (the boosted special tiles from her green are especially potent this week). Failing that, low AP 'poke' moves like DP or HT's red, or 4cyke's blue are more useful than slow, powerful ones. Since those you usually have other people on hand to boost the AP gen for. In your example, flaptain's yellow (as one of the only good protect/AP ratio moves) is way more useful than his red (which is really kinda mediocre without his yellow spamming the protect tiles in the first place).

But really, I'd take any random 3* or moderately covered 4* over 1 cover 5*s that do pretty much nothing.

Spoit

How many covers does a 5* need to even be a worthwhile team up I wonder?

Just taking a quick skim, honestly? Most of them also need character levels to be useful. But otherwise, it looks like 3 or 4?

IM blue is decent board shake at 1, and GG's purple is theoretically useful whenever. But at the levels that we're likely looking at, things like SS are never going to be useful, and Dr strange's 3* version will almost always be better

Triz

Is there a really strong 2* stunner? BW is really carrying me atm with her 5 turn stun

also the art is kinda dopey sometimes lol... they should hire the artists from Avengers Alliance, that game had some wonderful artwork

Scarlet Witch has a massive stun but she is a 3 star.

Permanently A

Storm is the best 2 star stunner. It also has a nice AoE with it.

Scarlet Witch has a massive stun but she is a 3 star.

Thanks.

I was reading through their tips and found this:

You are guaranteed to receive a S.H.I.E.L.D. Signal Intercept after successfully completing your first Story mission of the day. The chance to intercept signals drops as you see more during the day. At most, you can receive 20 in one day.

But I haven't seen these. (I'm on Android) What do?

https://d3publisher.helpshift.com/a...s&f=what-is-s-h-i-e-l-d-signal-intercept&l=en

Permanently A

So for this new Hulk event, the full points refresh in 24 hours but the substory also ends in 24 hours. Am I missing something or are you just not supposed to get the full refresh this time

So for this new Hulk event, the full points refresh in 24 hours but the substory also ends in 24 hours. Am I missing something or are you just not supposed to get the full refresh this time

For 24 hr sub events, start final clearing about an hour and a half before the end or later if you can do it more quickly. You won't get full points again.

Spoit

For 24 hr sub events, start final clearing about an hour and a half before the end or later if you can do it more quickly. You won't get full points again.

And by start, he means that you do every node 4 times to start the timer when the sub rolls over (24 hours before it ends), and then 'start' the final clear (the 5-7th clear of the node) at the hour and change mark before it ends

Permanently A

How do you unlock further sub events in PvE? Do you get a new one every day?

Also I have two Juggernaut tokens, can I save them or do I need to use within the next day? Cause I heard opening a 3 or 4* will fuck up my scaling

Dalek

How do you unlock further sub events in PvE? Do you get a new one every day?

Also I have two Juggernaut tokens, can I save them or do I need to use within the next day? Cause I heard opening a 3 or 4* will fuck up my scaling

Usually it's a new round every day-you can check under the round and see how much time is left.

You can save your tokens if you wish-they don't expire, but covers DO expire in 14 days if you don't use them.

Permanently A

Usually it's a new round every day-you can check under the round and see how much time is left.

You can save your tokens if you wish-they don't expire, but covers DO expire in 14 days if you don't use them.

Ok cool, thank you. I'm just worried because at the top of the screen it says "Jugggernaut: Heroic Time Left: 1d 6h" If I can still use the tokens after that countdown then what is the countdown for?

Spoit

And FWIW, if you have a few max level 2*s, unleveled 3 and 4 stars shouldn't effect your scaling too much. It's 5*s that mess it up

Ok cool, thank you. I'm just worried because at the top of the screen it says "Jugggernaut: Heroic Time Left: 1d 6h" If I can still use the tokens after that countdown then what is the countdown for?

It's the amount of time left until that vault expires. What that means is that right now, the vault is active, and you can see all the covers in it, and when you use the token you will get one of those 80 covers (and more to the point, the other 79 are still left for your next token pull). Once the vault expires, you can still use the token, but it will be from a vault that you cannot see the contents of, and said vault will reset after every pull.

Top Bottom