• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel stays winning: ‘Jessica Jones’ Hires All Women Directors for Season 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azzanadra

Hopefully this is because they were the best people for the job and not for some gimmick. It's hard to tell as the entertainment industry has bred such an environment in which men get access to better opportunities in general, but I have faith Marvel looked at the directors they had and ultimately picked the best ones, which happened to be women.

karasu

Iron Fist will likely have all white males just from the luck of the draw. Daredevil Season 1 did and people seemed fine with that.

Or do you don't think there aren't great female directors?

Showrunner had a chance to offer up directing roles to women. She took it.

I understand it's the internet and it's easy to just throw people in a category but no I do not believe that the greatness of a director is determined by their gender. I realize I'm being a little cynical but I never meant to suggest that it meant the season would be bad or anything of the sort. The announcement simply strikes me as odd and strangely flavored. I'm hip to the great female directors from Agnes Varda or Chantal Akerman to more contemporary workers like Bigelow and Duvernay.

This is post Defenders I guess. That show (if done right), should make the following seasons of Netflix branded shows interesting. At the very least, all involved will have good content to work with.

I still think Season One was a great 8 Episode show, that was unnecessarily stretched to 13 episode, which damaged the season's overall quality. I do think there was enough content in Alias to do 13 episodes though - so that was the fault of the writers and showrunner.

I have no idea what they will adapt for season 2. The Pulse is hardly enough to do 13 episodes, and would have to be drastically reworked to fit in with the current state of the MCU.

Alienfan

Gaf is the only place in my limited experience that I see Jessica Jones consistently shit on. But whatever, I'm just stoked we're getting more. I enjoyed JJ more than Luke Cage, tbh. Not that Cage wasn't also a good time.

This. Critically acclaimed, very high IMDB rating, and anecdotally, it's the favourite marvel show of everyone I know. It also seems like it would have all the workings to be universally loved on GAF, but, we do seem to be in the minority.

Cindro

Cool!

My only source of disappointment is that they're only just now getting to the directorial hiring process... I guess S2 is still a depressingly painful year and a half away?

If this feels gimmicky, then you really need to evaluate why this perception exists.

In a perfect world this wouldn't be all that out of the ordinary.

It's a shame how the industry is. While back there was a story about Patty Jenkins directing Wonder Woman making her the first female director in charge of an over $100mil project. And you think about how many big blockbusters come out a year, year after year. So, when a female director is surely given the opportunity to direct the Captain Marvel film, I'm all for it.

RDreamer

Gaf is the only place in my limited experience that I see Jessica Jones consistently shit on. But whatever, I'm just stoked we're getting more. I enjoyed JJ more than Luke Cage, tbh. Not that Cage wasn't also a good time.

Yeah, I don't get the hate. Honestly I enjoyed JJ more than Daredevil even. It was excellent.

Slayven

Hopefully this is because they were the best people for the job and not for some gimmick. It's hard to tell as the entertainment industry has bred such an environment in which men get access to better opportunities in general, but I have faith Marvel looked at the directors they had and ultimately picked the best ones, which happened to be women.

Hollywood is not a meritocracy.

I hope they realized that women creators are undeserved and went out and scouted some up and comers,

People always assume they just walk out to the street and point at the people that fit the one word description.

LionPride

Banned
It's a shame how the industry is. While back there was a story about Patty Jenkins directing Wonder Woman making her the first female director in charge of an over $100mil project. And you think about how many big blockbusters come out a year, year after year. So, when a female director is surely given the opportunity to direct the Captain Marvel film, I'm all for it.

I still wish Ava was directing Black Panther

Alienfan

Cool!

My only source of disappointment is that they're only just now getting to the directorial hiring process... I guess S2 is still a depressingly painful year and a half away?

Gosh I hope not! I don't know how Netflix shows work, but most other shows seem to be shat out rather quickly, it's not uncommon to still be shooting scenes a couple of weeks before air time.

guek

Banned
This. Critically acclaimed, very high IMDB rating, and anecdotally, it's the favourite marvel show of everyone I know. It seems like it would have all the workings to be universally loved on GAF, but, we do seem to be in the minority.
This is going to ruffle some feathers but bear with me here. I wonder if gaf being comprised mostly of men means it's less likely that the average poster is able to identify with the female perspective the first season was trying to employ from start to finish. We're so accustomed to watching entertainment through a male lense, Jessica Jones may seem less compelling in comparison.

Now before people jump down my throat, the show admittedly has more than a few shortcomings, and just because it focuses primarily on women doesn't mean men can't enjoy it or that you're sexist just because you didn't. For example, I didn't find Luke Cage as engaging as it seems many black people did. That's not to say black people only like it because it's a "black show" or that non-black people can't enjoy it just as much. But not being black myself, I wonder if I simply had a more difficult time connecting with certain parts of the show due to less shared experience. That doesn't make me racist, and not liking Jessica Jones doesn't make you a sexist, but both sex and race may predispose certain people to liking it more or less on average.

I'm all for empowering women but I hope they turn things around in S2.

Sounds great, they have nowhere to go but up after the first season!

Cant be any worse than the first season, right?

Why give women the bad show and not the good one you know like Daredevil or Punisher? This is actually insulting to women like me. We deserve better. This is insult to all womankind.

Maybe this will make Jessica Jones actually worth watching.

Can't undo that piece of shit first season though.

The fuck?

JJ is easily my favourite of the Marvel shows so far.

DOWN

Banned
I dunno. Seems a little sketchy to me. Luke Cage gonna have all black directors? Iron Fist all white males?
Lets not act there's not a mass number of shows with all white male directors

It's a good move to decide to work with women decidedly for a change

Cool!

Early to mid 2018 would be my guess. Iron Fist, The Defenders, and The Punisher means 2017 is stacked

Even though Marvel's movies and TV are not very connected, I am guessing Avengers: Infinity War will alter MCU significantly enough to force JJ S2 out before that releases on May 2018.

This is going to ruffle some feathers but bear with me here. I wonder if gaf being comprised mostly of men means it's less likely that the average poster is able to identify with the female perspective the first season was trying to employ from start to finish. We're so accustomed to watching entertainment through a male lense, Jessica Jones is seems less compelling in comparison.

Now before people jump down my throat, the show admittedly has more than a few shortcomings, and just because it focuses primarily on women doesn't mean men can't enjoy it or that you're sexist just because you didn't. For example, I didn't find Luke Cage as engaging as it seems many black people did. That's not to say black people only like it because it's a "black show" or that non-black people can't enjoy it just as much. But not being black myself, I wonder if I simply had a more difficult time connecting with certain parts of the show due to less shared experience. That doesn't make me racist, and not liking Jessica Jones doesn't make you a sexist, but both sex and race may predispose certain people to liking it more or less on average.

Purely anecdotal evidence but: ironically the only two people i know that have watched it were a middle aged woman and a teenage male.
The woman didn't like it very much whereas my classmate did.
But I definitely see where you're coming from.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Sounds great, they have nowhere to go but up after the first season!

Cant be any worse than the first season, right?

Why give women the bad show and not the good one you know like Daredevil or Punisher? This is actually insulting to women like me. We deserve better. This is insult to all womankind.

Maybe this will make Jessica Jones actually worth watching.

Can't undo that piece of shit first season though.

The Jessica Jones hate on this board is really weird. Don't really see it anywhere else.

Monocle

Awesome, can't wait for this.

Speaking of female directors, Angela Bassett directed a pivotal episode of American Horror Story and knocked it out of the park. It aired just last week.

D i Z

You guys want a good series with a strong female lead? Try Alien and Terminator. Ripley and Sarah > Jessica Stupid Jones

RgiJLiK.gif

Kathryn Bigelow is the first female director to direct a film with a 100 million dollar budget with K-19 The Widowmaker in 2002, Patty Jenkins is the second, Ava Duvernay will be the third and the first women of color to do it, when she direct's Disney's A Wrinkle in Time.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

Sorry, you don't speak for me. I actually preferred JJ to Daredevil. And Punisher isn't even out so you can't really say anything about its quality.

I understand it's the internet and it's easy to just throw people in a category but no I do not believe that the greatness of a director is determined by their gender. I realize I'm being a little cynical but I never meant to suggest that it meant the season would be bad or anything of the sort. The announcement simply strikes me as odd and strangely flavored. I'm hip to the great female directors from Agnes Varda or Chantal Akerman to more contemporary workers like Bigelow and Duvernay.

This is TV folks. There are a ton of talented director floating around Hollywood and it's not like this shit is a try out for merit. I mean, here's the list of previous directors:

Daredevil Season 1

Phil Abraham
Adam Kane
Ken Girotti
Farren Blackburn
Guy Ferland
Brad Turner
Stephen Surjik
Nelson McCormick
Nick Gomez
Euros Lyn
Steven S. DeKnight

Daredevil Season 2

Phil Abraham
Marc Jobst
Peter Hoar
Floria Sigismondi
Andy Goddard
Ken Girotti
Michael Uppendahl
Stephen Surjik
Euros Lyn

Jessica Jones Season 1

S. J. Clarkson
David Petrarca
Stephen Surjik
Simon Cellan Jones
John Dahl
Rosemary Rodriguez
Uta Briesewitz
Billy Gierhart
Michael Rymer

Luke Cage Season 1

Paul McGuigan
Guillermo Navarro
Vincenzo Natali
Marc Jobst
Sam Miller
Andy Goddard
Magnus Martens
Tom Shankland
Stephen Surjik
George Tillman Jr.
Phil Abraham
Clark Johnson

How many of them do you know? DeKnight because he's a showrunner, but who else? It's TV. They're mostly interchangeable and most people don't even think of who directs their TV shows. There were no tryouts.

The showrunner wanted to throw some work at female directors. With Season 2, she has the power to do so. Male directors will be fine. There's no reason to be incensed about this.

Korey

This is going to ruffle some feathers but bear with me here. I wonder if gaf being comprised mostly of men means it's less likely that the average poster is able to identify with the female perspective the first season was trying to employ from start to finish. We're so accustomed to watching entertainment through a male lense, Jessica Jones may seem less compelling in comparison.

All of the characters in the show were shit, including the men characters. They all made the dumbest fucking decisions possible, which is why the show dragged on for however many thousand episodes while the plot didn't advance at all the entire time.

If the characters were smart, it would have ended in like three episodes. Like 7 people died and many more suffered because Jessica Jones refused to kill Kilgrave, due to wanting to get evidence to save Hope from prison. OH GUESS WHAT HOPE DIES ANYWAY. Then, at the very end she decides oh I have to kill Kilgrave. No shit, dumbass.

Or her cop friend, who starts off as being the only sensible guy who wants to kill Kilgrave, but then become some psycho drug guy...

Or the lawyer who has the bright idea to try and get Kilgrave to get her ex to sign some divorce papers......after he had mind controlled her client to kill her parents, raped her friend, and murdered a bunch of other people. Like...what?

The structure of the show was this:

1. Decide they have to capture Kilgrave
2. Capture Kilgrave
3. Do something stupid so Kilgrave gets away
4. Repeat x459524

Fire all the writers and get new ones.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
is PurpleTwilight someone's alt? 2013 account with 50 posts.

edit: banned lol

I dunno. Seems a little sketchy to me. Luke Cage gonna have all black directors? Iron Fist all white males?

All Blind Directors for DD S3!!!

But S1 of Jessica Jones was real rough. I hope they can turn it around. I hope these women knock it out of the park.

squidyj

I enjoyed my time with season one but I think most of my enjoyment came from Tennant's Kilgrave so there's a big question mark going into season 2 for me.

Alienfan

There's absolutely something to this. It's easier to get attached to a character you can identify with, it's not always going to be their gender or sexual orientation, but finding you have something in common with them I think can go a long way in increasing your enjoyment of the show. That's not to say people every female will like Jessica Jones, or every male will hate it; or even that you need to be female identify with JJ jones at all (although more probably will). Seeing part of yourself in a character, means part of the characterization is already done.

NimbusD

Im all for gender equality, especially in the entertainment industry where inequality is rampant, but why the exclusion of men? Seems like they went out of their way to make sure its only women. Seems too gimmicky.

I'm sure men will be okay to sit this one out.

It's a show with a heavy female perspective, it makes sense to have females behind the camera.

Dalek

Really cool news.

And yes-GAF is the only place I see JJ get shit on. It wasn't perfect by any means-a bit too long-but it was a good show.

Gattsu25

Banned
Yeah, I don't get the hate. Honestly I enjoyed JJ more than Daredevil even. It was excellent.

I'm in the same boat. The only Marvel show better than JJ was LC, in my eyes.

This is amazing news.

Cool to see that Queen Sugar did something similar as well. How is that show?

Bluth54

Fine by me. As long as they make high quality episodes everyone on the production staff can be female as far as I'm concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom