• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel stays winning: ‘Jessica Jones’ Hires All Women Directors for Season 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I want them to have some episodic stuff this time, it's the soul of the Alias comic and the character is perfect for it.

They obviously can't use characters like J.J. Jameson, but a story like Come Home is easily adaptable and can take 2 or 3 episodes.

karasu

The showrunner wanted to throw some work at female directors. With Season 2, she has the power to do so. Male directors will be fine.

Again, you're ascribing a position to me that I never actually held. I was never concerned for the health of male directors' employment. I simply thought it was a strange announcement (it is by scarcity alone) and quickly wondered how controversial it would be if similar announcements were made for other groups. No ill intent. I'm not even a fan of live-action Netflix shows anyway. Especially not the action ones. I wish I never posted in this thread.

KingV

No more pointless and annoying subplots that only serve as filler because they didn't have enough real meat for 13 episodes, please.

I really enjoyed the first season but it did have glaring issues which were hard to ignore. Hopefully they've learned.

I feel the same way about both seasons of Daredevil. Like the shows are just too slow,

Dalek

I want them to have some episodic stuff this time, it's the soul of the Alias comic and the character is perfect for it.

They obviously can't use characters like J.J. Jameson, but a story like Come Home is easily adaptable and can take 2 or 3 episodes.

This was my only problem with season 1. It goes straight into Kilgrave. Hinting at him for a while, and having Jessica work other cases would have served the paciing well.

Bladenic

man wasn't quick for all the Trumpish shit posts to come out huh lol

I can see the first one, but the other 2? Sure they may be shit posts, but not Trumpish shitposts since they're not saying anything about women directing.

Anyway this is cool, looking forward to it. S1 was aight, but yeah, there was definitely a lot of filler and it felt somewhat aimless at times, strangely. Krysten Ritter is a joy though so I would watch for her regardless.

I want them to tone down the gore, way too excessive in the first season. Then Daredevil was like we got up to ante for season 2 and that was way too gory as well.

Luke Cage got the balance of blood and gore to the right amount.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
JJ certainly had both higher highs and lower lows than the other shows. At it's core it was the smartest superhero thing we've had, but the plotting and details get very stupid.

Still liked it more than DD s2 though. Jesus Christ.

I think better scripts and female directors would have me very optimistic about a second season. The first show explored cycles of abuse and dependency with like 6 or 7 interconnected and overlapping metaphors that was very very cool. Unfortunately that was basically the only cool thing about it.

It'd almost have been easier to swallow the show if it was just committed to being stupid like Daredevil is with it's ninjas, zombies and bottomless pits. Instead though it tried to be layered and smart while also honoring a bunch of dumb shit.

Platy

"Transforming Hollywood 7: Diversifying Entertainment"

Hires all women. So diverse.

List of recent shows 100% directed by white men

WDyLoey.jpg

It needs at least 30 more shows without white male directors for start to be called diverse

Again, you're ascribing a position to me that I never actually held. I was never concerned for the health of male directors' employment. I simply thought it was a strange announcement (it is by scarcity alone) and quickly wondered how controversial it would be if similar announcements were made for other groups. No ill intent. I'm not even a fan of live-action Netflix shows anyway. Especially not the action ones. I wish I never posted in this thread.

Oh, I'm not saying this is necessarily on you, you just happened to be who I replied to.

All black directors, all Asian directors, whatever. It's a matter of correcting for an existing and prevalent imbalance, if the showrunner has the ability to do so.

If you have a short show with all white male directors - see Daredevil S1 - no one would bat an eye. The question is - to the thread at large - why is the assumption that these male directors naturally have the skills and expertise for the job, yet to step outside of that is to leave that skill behind?

Second, how do you assume exclusion, instead of aiming specifically for female directors? Is the latter a problem?

Veelk

Banned
This is going to ruffle some feathers but bear with me here. I wonder if gaf being comprised mostly of men means it's less likely that the average poster is able to identify with the female perspective the first season was trying to employ from start to finish. We're so accustomed to watching entertainment through a male lense, Jessica Jones may seem less compelling in comparison.

Now before people jump down my throat, the show admittedly has more than a few shortcomings, and just because it focuses primarily on women doesn't mean men can't enjoy it or that you're sexist just because you didn't. For example, I didn't find Luke Cage as engaging as it seems many black people did. That's not to say black people only like it because it's a "black show" or that non-black people can't enjoy it just as much. But not being black myself, I wonder if I simply had a more difficult time connecting with certain parts of the show due to less shared experience. That doesn't make me racist, and not liking Jessica Jones doesn't make you a sexist, but both sex and race may predispose certain people to liking it more or less on average.

I'm a straight white guy, and I had no problem empathizing with Jessica, but I know this is because I'm a storyphile and have actively made specific efforts to put myself in the place of characters who are different from me (In any way, whether they have a different job than me, different spiritual beliefs, different sexual orientations, etc). If you're simply passively watching characters act out their lives without trying to think of how their circumstances inform their identities, then you aren't as likely to achieve the kind of empathy to actually understand why a character arc unfolds the way it does. You're just a floating pair of eyes and eyes that are looking into the life of a protagonist from the outside, seeing what they go through from a third person perspective, but not engaging in it.

The vast majority of us guys haven't been raped. That's one obstacle to understanding Jessica that we have. Also, our society has set different standards and expectations toward male rape and female rape, so that's yet another obstacle, in addition to the related obstacle of men and women's general bodies being viewed differently.

So yeah, I'd definitely agree that male viewers need to make a special effort to empathize, rather than merely sympathize with Jessica Jones and her many, many deep seated issues. I remember in the thread people saying Luke Cage was right when he called Jessica an awful person, blaming her for his wife's death even though she was being mind controlled by Kilgrave and literally could not choose to do otherwise and had reluctance communicating this for very obvious reasons. In the show, it's only when Luke himself is controlled into doing things he doesn't want to by Kilgrave that he apologized. He literally couldn't understand what it was like to be used like that until he experienced it, incorporating this obstacle of empathy of the male audience within the narrative itself in as a metaphor. So I think it's fair to say that a lot of male viewers just didn't get it if they weren't making an active effort to try to get it. It's an experience few men experience, and fewer in the same manner as women. So yeah, some effort would be required, I'd think.

I'm honestly curious. A win for who? Marvel? Why is hiring an all women directors a win for Marvel? Not calling it "loss" or anything, but why is it a positive for the show?

Do you feel a female director in charge of the camera may not offer a potentially unique perspective for a show with a female lead?

NEO0MJ

That makes way more sense. The title of the thread made it seemed like Marvel was going to produce better content simply because they hired all female writers. I misread it

Well, it shows that Marvel are willing to be more inclusive so it reflects better on them as well.

LionPride

Banned
That makes way more sense. The title of the thread made it seemed like Marvel was going to produce better content simply because they hired all female writers. I misread it

The title is saying that Marvel is winning when it comes to diversity. Having shows like Luke Cage, having BP be directed by a black person, written by a black person, and starring a black cast, JJ written by all women

They may slip up but they are starting to do well

I'm honestly curious. A win for who? Marvel? Why is hiring an all women directors a win for Marvel? Not calling it "loss" or anything, but why is it a positive for the show?

It's a show featuring a female protagonist within a television industry dominated by white male directors. It adds various female perspectives during filming different type of shots, It provides high profile work on their filmography, and gives more opportunities for them in the future.

Do you feel a female director in charge of the camera may not offer a potentially unique perspective for a show with a female lead?

Yeah I could see that. But it doesn't necessarily mean the show will be better, either. Too soon to call it a "win" for Jessica Jones the show. A win for representment of women in the TV industry, sure.

Alienfan

List of recent shows 100% directed by white men

WDyLoey.jpg

It needs at least 30 more shows without white male directors for start to be called diverse

That really puts things into perspective!

Although, Stranger things seems out of place, yes it's 100% directed by white men, but aren't all of its episodes are directed by those same white men? :p

Also what are the bolded parts?

Let's keep it real, it's not a genuine question. It's being purposefully obtuse in order to diminish the significance of an announcement of an all female directors crew.

*shrug* I thought it was genuine.

He asked his own question and then answered the poster's question.

Do you have more to add related to the thread topic?

As I mentioned earlier, hopefully this move makes the show interesting and worth watching.

Monocle

Why is this classified as a "win"?
Hollywood is dominated by white male directors, which fits the larger historical trend of white men dominating western society, to the exclusion of women and ethnic minorities.

Unless you think white men are just plain better than everyone else, all or most of the time, there's a massive imbalance at play. Greater diversity is a win for everyone, because all kinds of people deserve a voice. We're not a society of white guys, so why should white guys get to decide almost everything about our entertainment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom