• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT3| Self-Control Support Group

shaowebb

If Combofiend dumps She-Hulk I bet he puts in for Iron Fist. His Crumple setup would still work and he'd gain some nice tools as well with those assists. Plus the amount he hits for would make him Spencer part 2 electric boogaloo in that man's hands.

smurfx

get some go again
oh man dormammu/wolverine/dante is so fucking annoying. first is the stupid hit boxes on dormammu and dante and then its wolverine teamed up with jam session. fuck was this an annoying match up.

smurfx said:
only problem with that theory is that iron fist sucks. :p
Not to mention that anti air command grabs are way more important to combo's she hulk than crumples...

Honestly Nemesis can do more She Hulk-esque things than Iron Fist.

smurfx said:
wonder why combo wants hawkeye. i don't see him zone very often with task. he wants to use his slide to get in? i don't see him sticking with him. combofiend likes rush down and i don't see hawkeye being a rush down character.

He obviously wants to use a similar team to the one he's using in MvC3, with Nemesis being a replacement for the nerfed She Hulk and Hawkeye being a replacement for Taskmaster. But yeah, IMHO it doesn't make sense for him not to play Spencer on point, when Spencer ATM looks rather buffed and a much more viable point, non X Factor character.

smurfx

get some go again
will ghost rider be one of combofiends toughest opponents? all he needs to is spam his moves when spencer is trying to get in with his zipline. i know that is what i'm going to do when characters try and get in on me now that they can't block when air dashing.

smurfx

get some go again
i have a pretty good record when it comes to strider. i think he even sent me a nasty message once. i'm not sure it was him though. i know it was a cosmic lord that was pissed.

Dahbomb

shaowebb said:
If Combofiend dumps She-Hulk I bet he puts in for Iron Fist. His Crumple setup would still work and he'd gain some nice tools as well with those assists. Plus the amount he hits for would make him Spencer part 2 electric boogaloo in that man's hands.
He's putting in Nemesis instead of She Hulk and Hawkeye instead of Taskmaster. He said so himself.

wonder why combo wants hawkeye. i don't see him zone very often with task. he wants to use his slide to get in? i don't see him sticking with him. combofiend likes rush down and i don't see hawkeye being a rush down character.
He still needs a projectile assist to get in. Hawkeye has a slide (a really good one) and some nice normals to apply pressure plus lots of technology in his arrows that Combofiend can exploit. Hawkeye is there for the same reason Task is there, DHC purposes, cover different match ups, projectile assist and the option to play zoning if he wants to.

smurfx said:
quotes might of been more excited since he is a dante player. kinda like if virgil had a similar glitch. we would all be like whoa but dahbomb would faint.
The only thing hype about the Quicksilver glitch is that visually it looks like one of Dante's ACTUAL abilities from the game hence the name (one of his styles is called Quicksilver where he turns the screen silver white and freezes time). It's sort of like an easter egg for the DMC fans.

Other than that, it should be #1 priority to fix in the game and should be banned immediately. It's a legitimate game breaker.

I'm more confused about why he'd pick up Nemesis. His team has always had meaty health so I guess that could be a reason but his team also consists of characters with at least average mobility whereas Nemesis doesn't fit that bill. Will be interesting, I don't see him staying with him at all.
All I am going to say is that all of Combofiend's team have been really good synergy wise even his Captain America/Deadpool/Skrull team or his Chris/Dorm team. He probably sees something in the character that we don't sort of like he stuck with She Hulk despite everyone labelling her low tier day 1 of MVC3.

Tobe

smurfx said:
i have a pretty good record when it comes to strider. i think he even sent me a nasty message once. i'm not sure it was him though. i know it was a cosmic lord that was pissed.
his whole team revolves around spider, killing him takes like 65% of his game, it surprises me how you have a good record against him, i mean you stay all day in the corner and he wants you there, leaving that he is really bad against haggar. is he? im asking cause for some reason i stumble upon him whenever i have my magneto team.

Dahbomb said:
Other than that, it should be #1 priority to fix in the game and should be banned immediately. It's a legitimate game breaker.

my community is running a good versus evil ala sb, with the glitch ALLOWED, shit is going to be nuts.

Bizazedo

Few things more satisfying then playing an unspoken first to 10 and winning the 10th match to win 10-9 with a Hulk Gamma Crush as Akuma's dive kick comes in.

smurfx said:
will ghost rider be one of combofiends toughest opponents? all he needs to is spam his moves when spencer is trying to get in with his zipline. i know that is what i'm going to do when characters try and get in on me now that they can't block when air dashing.

Didn't you watch Max's Q&A? Ghost Rider is going to be free to Spencer, his air chains can only cover a 45 degree angle and Spencer can easily zip in on GR from his blind spots. All the moaning about the air dash nerf is pathetic and scrubby when you realize that Spencer players have been living in a world where you can't block from the zip line and they haven't been complaining about it.

smurfx

get some go again
Tobe1 said:
his whole team revolves around spider, killing him takes like 65% of his game, it surprises me how you have a good record against him, i mean you stay all day in the corner and he wants you there, leaving that he is really bad against haggar. is he? im asking cause for some reason i stumble upon him whenever i have my magneto team.
i usually zone the hell out of his spiderman. i can usually catch him a few times with task arrows and zero's double handangeki. just catching him once takes a ton of his life away and i then chip him down a bunch as well. catch him once with haggar and i can kill off spider man with ease.

scytheavatar said:
Didn't you watch Max's Q&A? Ghost Rider is going to be free to Spencer, his air chains can only cover a 45 degree angle and Spencer can easily zip in on GR from his blind spots. All the moaning about the air dash nerf is pathetic and scrubby when you realize that Spencer players have been living in a world where you can't block from the zip line and they haven't been complaining about it.
taskmaster is really good against spencer so i usually just use him. ghost rider has that one move where he throws out fire with his chain. i don't remember what its called but i think that would be really effective against the zip line.

Dahbomb

No because Rider is free to Bionic Arm.

Noel Brown is going with Wesker and whatever 2 other dudes are broken
So basically Vergil, Wesker and Doom.

Hey I never labeled She Hulk low tier. I paid attention to her speed and damage and said she would have some problem with zoning and even said lame her out if you can. Going to be a rushdown beast. No one listened to me anywhere.

Dahbomb

People were stuck in MVC2 mentality where a character without air dashes, flight mode and teleport is ass. Some still are in that mentality.

Zissou

Dahbomb said:
People were stuck in MVC2 mentality where a character without air dashes, flight mode and teleport is ass. Some still are in that mentality.
In vanilla, the metagame shifted to Phoenix/wolverine domination, with a bunch of weskers and dantes running around. Because of the dominance of characters who zoning doesn't work against, zoning teams were very rare in higher level play, and as far as I can remember, no zoning team even got as far as winning a local. The anti-zoning meta game meant that you could use characters like she-hulk because the top tier was keeping the population of characters like dormammu in check. If zoning proliferates in ultimate, that mvc2 mentality could be more correct in the future.

Zissou said:
Because of the dominance of characters who zoning doesn't work against, zoning teams were very rare in higher level play, and as far as I can remember, no zoning team even got as far as winning a local.

Honzo Gonzo's team is definetely a zoning team (you can't be more zoning than him) and he has won a few Starbase Arcades if I am not wrong (at least 1 starbase arcade). Heck Flocker's Zero relies a lot on spamming busters under the cover of the Tron assist and to me his team should be considered a zoning team, and he won SB.

Dahbomb

By the way, FChamp basically plays zoning style Phoenix team (Dorm + Sent, Dorm + Mag, Mag + Sent).

Of course HonzoGonzo is mentioned. DiosX plays extremely zoning heavy. NoelBrown's initial team was also very zoning heavy (Dorm/Sent/Doom).

Although I do feel that zoning ONLY teams will fail where as teams that are more zoning with possibilities of rushing down if they have to are much more viable. Even HonzoGonzo's team has characters which can effectively rushdown if they need to.

I have seen a zoning Dante been played to great efficacy as well.

Zissou

scytheavatar said:
Honzo Gonzo's team is definetely a zoning team (you can't be more zoning than him) and he has won a few Starbase Arcades if I am not wrong (at least 1 starbase arcade). Heck Flocker's Zero relies a lot on spamming busters under the cover of the Tron assist and to me his team should be considered a zoning team, and he won SB.
I haven't seen the starbase stuff- so I'll check it out the next time I have a chance. What majors has honzo gonzo been to?

On Flocker's team, I half agree. He's a Phoenix team first and a sort-of-zoning team second. Also, I think he beat Viscant and won season's beatings because his team countered viscant's very well, and because up until now, people didn't have too much reason to figure out counters to Flocker's specific strategy or even zero in general. No one paid attention to Flocker before this, as evidenced by the 'what the fucks?' all around when he was put on the east coast team by Noel. His relative obscurity meant he caught a lot of players off-guard. I don't want to take anything away from his win- I just won't be convinced that his strategy would be viable once other players had more time to figure out the match up. Justin beat him in the team tournament by laming that shit out, maybe more people should've given that a shot. Unfortunately, with vanilla being gone in less than a month, we'll never have a chance to find out.

SmokeMaxX

scytheavatar said:
Hard to label his team a zoning team. Hell, it's hard to label any Phoenix team anything BUT a Phoenix team (unless it sucks and then it's just a losing team). Even if Phoenix doesn't do anything, she contributes significantly to the win just by being there. She is vanilla's version of meter stealing. She disrupts other teams by forcing people to burn bar with snap back, burn x factor, and just winning if they fail to kill her.

But yeah, Zero's a good zoner considering that's not what he's supposed to do.

Dahbomb

Also zoning teams are damn useless against Phoenix teams unless you have legit anti-Phoenix technology in your team. HonzoGonzo has unblockable set up with Taskmaster and Hidden Missiles + Cold Shots but most other zoning teams don't so lose to Phoenix easily.

Unless of course you are playing a zoning team WITH Phoenix.

smurfx

get some go again
i'm trying to see just how good zero's zoning can be right now. my zero is very basic and i've never really tried his zoning. i've been trying to to zone more since i saw what flocker did at seasons beatings. i doubt i'll ever try and rush down with zero like marn but if i have success with a zoning zero then i'll keep him for ultimate. well that depends if some of the new characters mesh well with my style. if they do then i might dump zero.

Dahbomb said:
Also zoning teams are damn useless against Phoenix teams unless you have legit anti-Phoenix technology in your team. HonzoGonzo has unblockable set up with Taskmaster and Hidden Missiles + Cold Shots but most other zoning teams don't so lose to Phoenix easily.

Unless of course you are playing a zoning team WITH Phoenix.
yeah zoning phoenix isn't that good of an idea generally since her stupid salty balls are really durable. they eat taskmasters arrows without a problem and still aren't erased. although when it comes to zoning taskmaster has the best shot against her since he can hyper her ass in the air and on the ground. i've caught many phoenix player by jumping around and then getting the right angles and then arrowing her ass to death. you can also catch her in the air with regular arrows if you time it so they hit her just as she is falling. you of course have to time it so her balls don't eat your arrows.

Dahbomb

Zoning Zero only works when you have an invincible assist plus the ability to block during an air dash. None of that will be available in UMVC3 but he will still have stupid safe 50/50s from mid screen.

smurfx

get some go again
sent winrich and rayray a friend invite. rayray is the one i want to play the most. i don't know anybody that plays ryu. hoping i can play him a few times so i can improve my anti ryu technology.

Dahbomb

GOD RayRay's technology with Ryu is fucking legit.

No wonder MarlinePie went crazy on his Ryu. X factor'd TOD him every chance he got.

smurfx

get some go again
ryu can be so fucking annoying with his fast and high priority normals and he hits like a damn truck as well. hey dahbomb is there a list somewhere that tells you all the frame data for all the characters? i need to read up on that and find out what is punishable on characters instead of trial and error on ranked.

Dahbomb

RayRay's hit confirms with Ryu were godlike... I was shocked.
hey dahbomb is there a list somewhere that tells you all the frame data for all the characters? i need to read up on that and find out what is punishable on characters instead of trial and error on ranked.
When you find it, link to me too. :D

I just peak at my friend's bible whenever I get the chance although I forget numbers easily. I have some frame data on a few of my characters particularly Iron Man (because you know he has a ton of unsafe shit) but in general I don't rely on it too much.

The reason being that even something like Wesker's launcher which is technically safe on block can be punished by "chicken blockin" or the Wolverine dive kick can be air thrown by chicken blocking. That's why I don't put too much weight into frame data because jumping height changes advantage on block a lot. Like if I do tiger knee Unibeam I am at frame advantage with IM but if I do it on ground I am negative.

Zissou

Is it in poor form/illegal/against the gaf TOS/etc. to type up the frame data from the guide and put in a spreadsheet in google docs or something and link to it from gaf? There's not much point in doing it for vanilla, but assuming the ultimate bible has frame data, mahvel gaf working together could get something like that completed pretty quickly.

smurfx

get some go again
i wouldn't post it if it came from the guide. i had no idea the guide had that stuff. guess i'll buy the ultimate guide.

Zissou

smurfx said:
i wouldn't post it if it came from the guide. i had no idea the guide had that stuff. guess i'll buy the ultimate guide.

That's what I figured, but it never hurts to ask.

Unrelated, but I was looking through Viscant's old posts on SRK and it's interesting that he already considered zero a major threat to his team back in may (link to OP):

Viscant said:
I have a Phoenix starter team that actually works pretty well, Phoenix/Storm/Morrigan. I started playing this team as a training team because my Phoenix wasn't very good at first and I thought it would be fun just to mess with people online. It actually seems to work out pretty well as long as you have the right matchups, actually it works out better than my real team on Zero. The strategy of this team isn't that complex. If Phoenix makes it to 5, I'll play for the OCV. If she doesn't, Storm/Morrigan play well together, they have the DHC glitch and can get to over 900k without Morrigan using any extra meter herself. Morrigan provides meter for Storm hail meaning that they can't run from Storm and it turns the game into an inclose match. If Phoenix doesn't make it, Storm sitting on 2-4 levels of meter with XF2 ready to load up guarantees between 400-900k of chip (depending on character options to avoid it, how much meter you're currently stocking, etc). Morrigan to Storm is decent also, etc. If Phoenix does make it and Dark Phoenix dies, she restocks meter for Storm.

The strategy of this team is pretty simple as far as Phoenix teams go. Storm will give you a left-right mixup (not a good one but a credible one at least), Morrigan builds meter meaning you should be expected to get to level 5 by 75 seconds remaining, 60 at the worst case scenario. Using similar chemistry you can sub in Magneto for Storm (better character in his own right, weaker mixup for Phoenix, weaker chip) or sub in Ammy for Morrigan (not as good an assist for meter building purpose, significantly better on point).

I think there are some strategic benefits to starting Phoenix, namely that she's the best possible character vs. Wolverine and probably the best possible character vs. Zero also, two matchups that are pretty important to the game. It's not a long term strategy because there are too many characters like Ammy, Dante, Magneto, Akuma who blow up regular Phoenix who you will run into, but I think if you like Phoenix you should just try out a couple Phoenix starter teams just to exploit the positive matchups she has.

At some point I'll play it in a tournament as a counter pick, I have that much faith in it.

I wonder what ever happened to that team...

smurfx

get some go again
man i really want to go to a tournament. i want to go to WNF but the parking situation by my house is so sucky i don't want to risk not finding parking when i come back. street sweeper passes the next day. guess socal regionals will be the next tournament i go to. you would think with los angeles being so damn big we would have plenty of more smaller tournaments going on but no luck.

smurfx said:
man i really want to go to a tournament. i want to go to WNF but the parking situation by my house is so sucky i don't want to risk not finding parking when i come back. street sweeper passes the next day. guess socal regionals will be the next tournament i go to. you would think with los angeles being so damn big we would have plenty of more smaller tournaments going on but no luck.
You're the best player on gaf, right? Did you go to EVO?

smurfx

get some go again
well i actively try and challenge any tournament player i can. i'm sure there are plenty on here that can beat them too if they actually played them.

Dahbomb

Some of the frame data in the guide isn't 100% accurate either. I know the data on Dante's teleport isn't quite correct in the guide as tested by the people on the Dante forums.

Frantic

Tiger uppercut said:
Hah, I got randomly pitted against this guy last night in player matches. I appear around 28:30, and I was on there for about half an hour. Watch if you want to see me drop every single one of my combos, going for the more stylish, unnecessary combos just because I can. Also features me pushing buttons and trying to do stupid - but stylish - shit when I really shouldn't. I blame the worse than usual lag for the dropped combos. The stupid shit is all on me.

Tobe

just played flocker and some cloud guy(cosmic lord)

flocker was really good it i really like he style of gameplay he has a very methodical approach to attacking, came out to phoenix mirror and time. i really liked that match.

oh shit the match against this cloud guy was really bad as in i lost like a scrub. after killing his zero he only had dante and akuma, i fucked a combo and he caught a bogo, the thing about the match is that when my logan came in he did demon flip into palm at completly styled on me with a corner loop godamn instead of me being salty i sent him a message saying how godlike that loop was.

Dahbomb said:
I just peak at my friend's bible whenever I get the chance although I forget numbers easily. I have some frame data on a few of my characters particularly Iron Man (because you know he has a ton of unsafe shit) but in general I don't rely on it too much.

The reason being that even something like Wesker's launcher which is technically safe on block can be punished by "chicken blockin" or the Wolverine dive kick can be air thrown by chicken blocking. That's why I don't put too much weight into frame data because jumping height changes advantage on block a lot. Like if I do tiger knee Unibeam I am at frame advantage with IM but if I do it on ground I am negative.
I'd definitely point people towards using the guide. While some chicken blocking stuff is effective people forget the ground basics way too easily and that is where the most important stuff takes place imo. Some people never learn after I catch them with Ammy's jab throughout the match. People could really benefit from knowing what stuff they can and can't beat.

Reading the frame data would really help some of these poor souls who fear Sent, Dormammu, etc.
Tobe1 said:
just played flocker and some cloud guy(cosmic lord)

flocker was really good it i really like he style of gameplay he has a very methodical approach to attacking, came out to phoenix mirror and time. i really liked that match.

oh shit the match against this cloud guy was really bad as in i lost like a scrub. after killing his zero he only had dante and akuma, i fucked a combo and he caught a bogo, the thing about the match is that when my logan came in he did demon flip into palm at completly styled on me with a corner loop godamn instead of me being salty i sent him a message saying how godlike that loop was.
I get salt as fuck when I get styled on...

Tobe

SolarPowered said:
I get salt as fuck everytime
im pretty sure you do :p
the only thing that gets me salty is when the other guy wins and he doesnt deserve it AND taunts. i mean ok sure you won cause of xfactor lvl3 ok shit i can deal with that, but if you taunt that just increases my salt levels way too much.

Top Bottom