• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom Origins |OT|

Tizoc

In a game where Spider-Man and Wolverine infinites are easy to do, I implore you ; do not touch Blackheart.

Trust me, I spent weeks on that game with fellow QAs, some quite adept at fighting games, and there is no way around that fact.

GARAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
Well I guess I could play with him for Casual matches ^_^;;;;;;

Didn't take me up on the title suggestion? :-(

Sorry buddy but no.

...and speaking of which.
What do you like the subtitle to be, GAF?
A) LET'S GO CRAZY!
B) Pure honest infinites

EDIT: and here's that Bengus MSH artwork-
http://www.comicartcommunity.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=39716

...and X-Men CotA-
tumblr_m2h3etK1rU1qg8i80o1_500.jpg

aNYONe able to find a bigger resolution?

SkylineRKR

8.2 from IGN I saw, which is nice.

Damn I really suck at MvsC now... sucks you have to hit select to change games, which means I have to unplug my Saturn pad and turn on a controller just to switch games (then plug back in the wired controller). I am guessing there is no Cross Fever (4 player) mode in MvsC?

wow thats crap. I prefer Saturn pad above my TE for games like this. SF X Tekken had the same shit, dealing with Select.

Tizoc

For those with a Saturn pad: Why not have a 2nd PS3 controller active and use it switch the game instead?

I think I prefer MSH over MvC1, it feels more fluid and I like the combos in it.
Also Juggernaut may stay as my main he has so many easy combos nad his super is the best in the game.

SkylineRKR

Tried the demo from US store. Gem switching is being mapped under Select now, which could be problematic when MSH is being played with Saturn pad.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Forgot how much I loved MVC1....and how much I hated playing MSH at the arcade....stupid GEMS

RC

Banned
I spent countless quarters on these games in the late 90's. It'll be nice to play MVC again, never did get used to the craziness of the sequels. Hopefully I still remember the infinite's.

bought it on the 360 and im loving it. menus are kind of slow though but its a small gripe!

i purchased roll from the vault as i had exactly 150 points. anyone know of the fastest way to get points?

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Loving this game so far. Excellent port, but I think PS3 might have a smoother framerate, couldn't tell for sure though. I unlocked the MVC opening movie but I'm not sure how to view it. Anyone know how?

shaowebb

I think the OP needs to include a list posting of what everyone's best GEM is and its effect along with a listing of how to select assists/secret characters using the various input tricks. Having control of assists, gems and access to the extra cast is a pretty big thing IMO that would be cool to list on there without sending people elsewhere.

Tizoc

I think the OP needs to include a list posting of what everyone's best GEM is and its effect along with a listing of how to select assists/secret characters using the various input tricks. Having control of assists, gems and access to the extra cast is a pretty big thing IMO that would be cool to list on there without sending people elsewhere.

Actually for that and other stuff I recommended reading Kao Megura's FAQ as it gives good enough info about the game ^_^;

I'll get to updating the first post in a future date though.

Mitsurux

so i decided to buy this, both games play really well and have alot of neat display options...

Tried to play MvsC online (thinking that i'm a pretty decent player.. or was), but i got DESTROYED i hit my opponent maybe 5 times.... (local mp for me i guess)

I did see one Cheap match here a player picked two War Machines and proceeded to do his double super move over and over and over... (wild stuff)

Tizoc

Bah god, GAF....
Switch to Marve Super Heroes, go to training mode, select Psylocke and play on Turbo. DEM LEGS! DEM LEGS!
Seriously do this GAF, GO SEE IT FOR YOUR SELF! (Also props to Capcom for giving Psylocke jiggle physics~)

Oh and ATM it's 3 for LET'S GO CRAZY! I'll give the OT subtitle another week for you guys to decide on it then I'll ask a mod to update the title....though for some reason 'Real honest infinites. LET'S GO CRAZY!' works rather well...

I've updated the first post with a few images by phaonaut let me know what you think of them ;D

BOTEC

Bought this with overpriced PSN cards. Worth every penny for MSH alone. Awesome port!

Also, I vote for "LETS GO CRAZY!"

Levito

Banned
Onslaught isn't playable? Not even for arcade mode? I remember you could unlock him in the Playstation version.

The XBLA/PSN boxart is pretty blah (see below).
Why couldn't they have just used art from the original releases/boxarts? Something like this. MVC2 XBLA/PSN got the same "Western-ized" art style, same artist I would guess.

It just takes away the impressionable flavor these games had at the time and makes me think of some cheap bootleg instead.

I'm more of a purist and think these ports should be 100% accurate but improved, so this goes beyond just the boxart style not being similar.

It extends to disliking the bland menus, removal of intros at bootup (even if they're unlockable in the Vault, many won't see them nor will it be their first impression - it's kind of anti-climatic how a fighting game just drops you in to a menu...for such an extreme game at the time that intro was warranted especially for first time players...which a lot are here with this port), etc.

The same thing was done with MVC2 XBLA/PSN (the intro and smooth menus were gone, essential to the visual and audio design of the original game, home console/Dreamcast version in particular), even though Backbone did that and not Iron Galaxy. Here Iron Galaxy repeats Backbone's sins against the full form of the original product.

MoxManiac

GARAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
Well I guess I could play with him for Casual matches ^_^;;;;;;

Sorry buddy but no.

...and speaking of which.
What do you like the subtitle to be, GAF?
A) LET'S GO CRAZY!
B) Pure honest infinites

EDIT: and here's that Bengus MSH artwork-
http://www.comicartcommunity.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=39716

...and X-Men CotA-
tumblr_m2h3etK1rU1qg8i80o1_500.jpg

aNYONe able to find a bigger resolution?

That COTA artwork is the reason I own the japanese saturn version of COTA instead of the us saturn version.

SkylineRKR

The XBLA/PSN boxart is pretty blah (see below).
Why couldn't they have just used art from the original releases/boxarts? Something like this. MVC2 XBLA/PSN got the same "Western-ized" art style, same artist I would guess.

It just takes away the impressionable flavor these games had at the time and makes me think of some cheap bootleg instead.

I'm more of a purist and think these ports should be 100% accurate but improved, so this goes beyond just the boxart style not being similar.

It extends to disliking the bland menus, removal of intros at bootup (even if they're unlockable in the Vault, many won't see them nor will it be their first impression - it's kind of anti-climatic how a fighting game just drops you in to a menu...for such an extreme game at the time that intro was warranted especially for first time players...which a lot are here with this port), etc.

The same thing was done with MVC2 XBLA/PSN (the intro and smooth menus were gone, essential to the visual and audio design of the original game, home console/Dreamcast version in particular), even though Backbone did that and not Iron Galaxy. Here Iron Galaxy repeats Backbone's sins against the full form of the original product.

Same thing happened with SF3: OE. Laggy menus and no intro. No score and rating board as well, although scores are in the game.

Backbones X-Men however had everything in tact. And Mortal Kombat too.

Tizoc

been thinking of buying this for 360.. how is the player count looking?

Sabin and JWong have it on 360 and there's a match set of them playing against each other on YT, so if you're interested in some high level games you can try and play against them.

Got this last night on PS3 and played about 20 matches with my friend in MVC1 and MSH. Netcode is amazing, too bad it seems like no one is online.

Sabin and JWong have it on 360 and there's a match set of them playing against each other on YT, so if you're interested in some high level games you can try and play against them.

i'll get murdered, I was never good at mvc1 =/ is there at least a few lobbies going on at a time?

Magnus

So I'm the only one who thought these were going to be HD-ified like the MVC2 PSN/XBLA release awhile back?

:(

It's somewhat rough playing in this small 4:3 window, even if this is representative of the original game. G'damn.

Glad to have the games at all I guess.

Skilletor

So I'm the only one who thought these were going to be HD-ified like the MVC2 PSN/XBLA release awhile back?

:(

It's somewhat rough playing in this small 4:3 window, even if this is representative of the original game. G'damn.

Glad to have the games at all I guess.

Better 4:3 than invisible barriers that fuck up your spacing.

Tizoc

My brother is really liking MSH, we both played it on PSX as kids, and it gets as much play time as MvC1.
Though I personally like MSH a lot more as I find it more fluid in animation and gameplay (even though I use Jugs and he has A LOT of recovery on his moves lol).

Top Bottom