• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones *SPOILER THREAD* |OT| Thanos is Purple, Man.

Johndoey

Banned
Just to clarify - in episode 13 - Jessica's pretending to follow the "kill each other" command, right? And that's why Kilgrave is sceptical of her, because she works her way through the crowd of people and knocks some out?

Also Jessica's lack of action when Kilgrave takes Patsy is what leads to him trusting that she's under his influence?

That's the impression I got but I'm the sort of guy who goes to Wikipedia after the show/movie to confirm these sorts of things. lol

She doesn't pretend to follow the kill order she pretends to follow the stop if I remember correctly. And he's suspicious because his powers haven't worked on her for a while. On the second part yeah you got it.

Just finished. Loved it!

- Krysten Ritter is perfect as Jessica. Surly, rude, damaged, funny, and a damn gold-hearted hero under it all.

- Tennant is fantastic as Kilgrave. He's just so fucking smarmy and creepy and deranged. Like Fisk, it's an interesting take on the character, where he's genuinely (in his mind anyway) fallen in love with Jessica because he can't control her. I really liked how Jessica killed him in the end. Get him in close through guile, and then "Smile." And it was hilarious how much of The Doctor we saw in the performance.

- Claire showing up in the final episode was a nice touch to start tying the Defenders together.

- Luke Cage was fantastic. Colter is great in the role. But he goes MIA at the end... is he still pissed at Jessica? It's obvious she's fallen head over heels for him. That scene where he's unconscious and she's talking about going on an actual date with him is great.

- Really love the character-driven nature of these shows. Sure, they feel like the pacing can go a bit meandering at times, yeah, but in return we get great character beats and moments in every episode.

- I liked Malcolm. He's basically become Jessica's assistant, caretaker, and rock by the end of it. Nice upgrade from junkie spy.

- Robyn was the worst. I can't stand her. In a universe with actual talking racoons, she comes off as the most cartoonish.

jessica-jones_2.jpg

Hate her.

- I kinda wish we got two episode of Heroic Comedic Sociopath Kilgrave and His Exasperated Not-Girlfriend Jessica:

- I liked Simpson and his descent into madness. It's clear he wasn't all there to start with, but then Kilgrave fucked him up, he fell for Trish, started a messed up relationship with her, started slipping, got caught in an explosion, lost two friends, went back on his reds, and fucking lost it. I really wanna see more of Simpson/"Nuke" in JJ Season 2 or DD Season 2.

- So IGH connects Jessica and Simpson... I bet it connects Luke as well, drawing them back together (hopefully for a happy ending :( )

- I really liked the tone of the series, but with Kilgrave dead, I hope next season dials back the sadness and lets some light in.

- Also Trish was fantastic. Loved her relationship with Jessica, and my God is she amazingly gorgeous

I wonder if Trish will go vigilante "Hellcat" in Season 2.

- Jeri Hogarth is a terrible piece of shit and I hope Pam doesn't get sent to prison for what happened.

Seriously, the ending was sadder than I'd expected. Jessica, alone, deleting messages of people needing help until Malcolm walks in.

LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKE, COME BACK AND BRING THAT HARDCORE SEXUAL TENSION.

xsarien

daedsiluap
I was looking for it, too. I chalked it up to someone not wanting an overbearing amount of references. There were a few Avengers references in Jessica Jones ... like the child dressed up as Captain America playing in the park, a few Hulk references, and Hogarth saying something about the Chitauri attack on New York. I think the problem is that if you reference them too much, then it becomes a question of whether or not they come in to handle it. I guess practically, they're trying to establish there's a lot of working pieces to the MCU. Eh, strangely enough, looking out Hogarth's window, I assumed her office might have been on a lower level of the building.

I think it's more important to keep the geography of the city consistent than name-checking the Hulk a few times. It's flat-out missing, and up until this (and Daredevil, apparently), the MCU's been pretty buttoned up on consistency outside of a few casting changes.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's more important to keep the geography of the city consistent than name-checking the Hulk a few times. It's flat-out missing, and up until this (and Daredevil, apparently), the MCU's been pretty buttoned up on consistency outside of a few casting changes.
I've seen so many people make comments about the lack of the Avengers Tower now that it really IS something worth mentioning and being annoyed at. It bugs the hell out of me that it's not in the skyline. It seats the Netflix shows into a bigger world without having to waste dialog on mentioning other events (like so many people seem to hate for some dumb reason). I realize it costs money to CG that in, but I think it's totally worth it and the show runners may now see so many people mention it that they'll maybe add it to Luke Cage or DD season 2.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Most of the criticism concerning connections to the MCU are nitpicks, but the absence of Avengers Tower in certain city shots is one I have to agree with.

Especially because they kept including it in the teasers for both DD and JJ. It's not like they're against having it there for these shows, so I have to assume it's definitely a budget issue. I do wonder if it was planned to be CGI-ed there at some point though, there was a skyline shot in JJ that was very conspicuous.

Dice//

Banned
this would be easier to get into if jess jones was hotter

N7YnZLB.gif

Anyways, minus a few hiccups I thought this was an amazing series. Great tone, interesting plot, and I look forward to Netflix's continuing collaboration with Marvel. Loved this more than the last few Marvel flicks.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Ok I watched back and got it wrong. He mentions loving antiques and not miniature figures like his character in the Wire.
Haha I also thought of The Wire with that one. It still works as a reference imo, the dollhouse miniatures Lester made were copies of antique furniture.

As someone who had no idea who Jessica Jones was before Netflix announced this, I generally enjoyed the show a lot. It was interesting to see a superhero show that wasn't about people fighting all the time.

Two big things that stood out to me as not very good:

A lot of the plotting felt very convenient, with people's actions not being properly motivated, with people making dumb mistakes that they shouldn't have made, etc. The obsession with capturing Kilgrave in order to produce a video proving that he's got powers is bizarre given the enormous number of people who can testify that he did something to them. I mean, Jones can even produce the man's parents who can explain how he got those powers!

That long section in the middle with Kilgrave reproducing Jones' childhood home and being creepily in love with her really did not work for me. It took away from Jones' story - the only reason she's in a position to make a difference is that he likes her too much to kill her, long past the time where that would have been the obviously right move for him. I think I would have much preferred a more generically-motivated villain obsessed with control in general or something, who wants to control Jones just because she's super-powered but who's scared that she's immune to his powers and so doesn't want to get close.

1. They needed hard evidence of what Kilgrave was doing. Testimonies can be faked even in real life, moreso when you're working against a man who can just tell everyone to lie.
2. The whole thing is some kind of metaphor for spousal abuse. And that part of the series was the part in real life where your SO invites you back, tells you he/she has changed and everything will better.

Literally just finished so I really haven't had time to digest it but this kinda stood the most for me in the finale. The whole explanation of his powers fell flat, it was kinda a mistake to try via an airborne "virus", especially when they had it negated by loud music at the last minute.

His powers is based on a virus but you still have to hear his commands to follow him. That's why loud music worked.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
1. They needed hard evidence of what Kilgrave was doing. Testimonies can be faked even in real life, moreso when you're working against a man who can just tell everyone to lie.
2. The whole thing is some kind of metaphor for spousal abuse. And that part of the series was the part in real life where your SO invites you back, tells you he/she has changed and everything will better.

His powers is based on a virus but you still have to hear his commands to follow him. That's why loud music worked.
Exactly. It's like people just cannot understand this.

NomarTyme

I just finished watching the entire series yesterday. As some said I thought it felt a little too long but still holded my attention to the end. This series had me look forward to Luke Cage series even more.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Just finished. Very solid show. I like the different pacing after watching Daredevil.

Also Carrie Anne-Moss was straight up channeling Robin Wright from House of Cards this entire series. Makes me want to see her in HoC sometime.

Gallbaro

Banned

So people flailing around and speaking in tongue is hard evidence of god, or Satan, taking control of a body?

Having a video tape of someone reacting to mind control is not a very well thought out plot device.

Exactly. It's like people just cannot understand this.

Gotchaye

I mean, no way you don't have reasonable doubt in a world where the Hulk exists with a couple dozen witnesses and Kilgrave's parents. If Kilgrave can get to your witnesses then, sure, you're done, but I don't see how the video helps either if Kilgrave's free. You either have him locked up or he's dead. The mere existence of mind control powers doesn't undermine the testimony of these witnesses because like 99% of what you want from them is to testify that mind control exists. I think at one point they decided they needed the testimony of someone in law enforcement and nobody even suggested, you know, the police officer Trish is dating.

But that was just one thing. Just in general I don't think the show holds up that well if you stop every so often and ask if what people are doing makes sense or if what you're seeing is consistent with what's already happened. Even the ending required things to go just right - like, Kilgrave was trying to test Jessica to see if she was really mind controlled and all he came up with was to make out with Trish and then start to walk away with her? Obviously what you do there is have Trish kill someone right in front of Jessica, and that's assuming you don't want to have Jessica kill someone herself (since maybe that's what triggered her resistance last time?) and that you don't want someone to kill Trish (maybe the same worry, but obviously Kilgrave isn't that concerned that his control over Jessica will be fragile going forward). At the very least you have the crowd keep on killing each other. Edit: It occurs to me that Trish needs to stay alive so that she's a hostage in case Jessica is faking, but I stand by the rest.

Yes, obviously. Way too forced. That one X-Men movie did not work very well as a gay rights parable either. It's a bad idea to try to mirror some real-world thing so precisely when, well, the case for mutant registration is kinda plausible. The show is already packed with material about abusive relationships. It doesn't need to sacrifice its own story for the sake of this clumsy parallel.

I enjoyed the show. Thought it started slow and built nicely to a conclusion around episode 10... and then there were 3 more episodes. I was ready for a final encounter but the show reset and dragged on. It was weird.

Tennant was brilliant and that should probably go without saying, but he was really, really good.

I'm looking forward to watching Doctor Who again with the idea that The Doctor is controlling everyone around him.

I mean, no way you don't have reasonable doubt in a world where the Hulk exists with a couple dozen witnesses and Kilgrave's parents. If Kilgrave can get to your witnesses then, sure, you're done, but I don't see how the video helps either if Kilgrave's free. You either have him locked up or he's dead. The mere existence of mind control powers doesn't undermine the testimony of these witnesses because like 99% of what you want from them is to testify that mind control exists. I think at one point they decided they needed the testimony of someone in law enforcement and nobody even suggested, you know, the police officer Trish is dating.

But that was just one thing. Just in general I don't think the show holds up that well if you stop every so often and ask if what people are doing makes sense or if what you're seeing is consistent with what's already happened. Even the ending required things to go just right - like, Kilgrave was trying to test Jessica to see if she was really mind controlled and all he came up with was to make out with Trish and then start to walk away with her? Obviously what you do there is have Trish kill someone right in front of Jessica,
Actually I thought Kilgrave was going to have Jessica kill Trish to prove she's mind controlled.

Actually I thought Kilgrave was going to have Jessica kill Trish to prove she's mind controlled.

I honestly thought Jessica was mind-controlled and just exhibited enough mental strength to move. I honestly thought they were telegraphing what broke Kilgrave's control the first time was Jessica's emotion over killing someone and that they were playing the same thing here but with her love for Trish.

I'm still confused how Luke and Jessica could possibly have a conversation about "who are the other people like us" and not mention the guy in the mask who is one the front page of the paper for taking down a guy who was running all the shit in their own damn neighborhood. At first I thought maybe the two series took place simultaneously, but then Claire showed up and mentioned helping Matt multiple times so that theory doesn't make sense.

I'm still confused how Luke and Jessica could possibly have a conversation about "who are the other people like us" and not mention the guy in the mask who is one the front page of the paper for taking down a guy who was running all the shit in their own damn neighborhood. At first I thought maybe the two series took place simultaneously, but then Claire showed up and mentioned helping Matt multiple times so that theory doesn't make sense.

To be fair, I think they were refering to superpowered beings like them. Daredevil's blindness powers are unknown to everyone but Foggy and Claire.

To anyone else, he's just a really good kickpunching masked vigilante dude and not a "gifted" person like JJ or Luke.

Gotchaye

Nobody reads newspapers anymore.

To be fair, I think they were refering to superpowered beings like them. Daredevil's blindness powers are unknown to everyone but Foggy and Claire.

To anyone else, he's just a really good kickpunching masked vigilante dude and not a "gifted" person like JJ or Luke.

I don't remember - does Claire know DD's blind? Does she know he's Murdock?

Pau

That long section in the middle with Kilgrave reproducing Jones' childhood home and being creepily in love with her really did not work for me. It took away from Jones' story - the only reason she's in a position to make a difference is that he likes her too much to kill her, long past the time where that would have been the obviously right move for him. I think I would have much preferred a more generically-motivated villain obsessed with control in general or something, who wants to control Jones just because she's super-powered but who's scared that she's immune to his powers and so doesn't want to get close.
I'm still not sure how I feel about this and Kilgrave's motivation in general. On the one hand, I liked how in the comics it wasn't about attraction, it was about trying to get revenge on the teenager who fucked over your life and put you in jail. On the other hand, Tennant so perfectly sells the delusional, obsessive, creepy, and sociopathic rejected abuser.

I don't remember - does Claire know DD's blind? Does she know he's Murdock?

Yes. When she first nursed him early on the season and noticed his eyes didn't react to her penlight.

The final Claire scene ended with Matt revealing his full name and identity to her. It was a sweet moment.

Shit, I kinda hope they get together again in S2.

There's no proof that Matt is gifted. To the regular people, he's just an ordinary vigilante. No one would expect a blind guy to be Daredevil.

To be perfectly honest, not everyone here sounds like they're going to Larry David Appreciation Night at the 92nd Street Y.

Well they should.

As an aside, you gotta hand it to the Jessica Jones writers to realize that "Battle of New York" sounds hokey as hell, something that the Agents of Shield writers didn't realize when they named the event.

That's what the Daredevil writers went with as well.

jackdoe

That's what the Daredevil writers went with as well.
Did they? It's been so long since I watched the show.

Also, when I think about it, Kilgrave's powers are way too OP within the confines of the MCU. Like, why does he settle for only Luke Cage as his personal attack dog when he can utilize the entire Avengers team, also located in NYC, as his bodyguard staff? Hell, why didn't he make a play at controlling the White House in all the time that he had his powers? Based on what the show tells us, no one is immune to Kilgrave, save Jessica for undefined reasons (I don't feel that the whole "He made you do something you didn't want to do, so you got immunity to a virus" reason to be satisfactory).

guek

Banned
Did they? It's been so long since I watched the show.

Also, when I think about it, Kilgrave's powers are way too OP within the confines of the MCU. Like, why does he settle for only Luke Cage as his personal attack dog when he can utilize the entire Avengers team, also located in NYC, as his bodyguard staff? Hell, why didn't he make a play at controlling the White House in all the time that he had his powers? Based on what the show tells us, no one is immune to Kilgrave, save Jessica for undefined reasons (I don't feel that the whole "He made you do something you didn't want to do, so you got immunity to a virus" reason to be satisfactory).

Because he's still mortal and can easily be killed if enough high profile people knew about him. His big weakness was that the effects wore off after a few hours.

guek

Banned
And anyone with a sniper rifle could kill him

Yeah.

I really liked this show but I think its story telling flaws make it even more uneven than Daredevil. I was perfectly happy to accept that Jessica didn't want to kill him because she wanted to exonerate Hope but the show rode on that good will for too long. Hope should have died way sooner

KarmaCow

Because he's still mortal and can easily be killed if enough high profile people knew about him. His big weakness was that the effects wore off after a few hours.

Also he knows that there is a way for people to resist him since Jessica broke free not to mention the Avengers have people like Tony Stark with tons of autonomous weapons and robots, Thor is basically a god, and Vision has the mind infinity gem.

I think they had those moments trying to humanize him not to make him sympathetic but to make his goals smaller than world domination so it could better fit in the more enclosed nature of the show.

jackdoe

Also he knows that there is a way for people to resist him since Jessica broke free not to mention the Avengers have people like Tony Stark with tons of autonomous weapons and robots, Thor is basically a god, and Vision has the mind infinity gem.

I think they had those moments trying to humanize him not to make him sympathetic but to make his goals smaller than world domination so it could better fit in the more enclosed nature of the show.
You're right. They made him a petty, coward of a man wholly obsessed with one person. This type of characterization would make it a bit more believable that someone with this power wouldn't try anything a bit more ambitious.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
They really should at the very least have Killgrave at the very least made Jessica hit Patsy (which she would do gently but enough to fool him) which is something she wouldnt do to her friend. But no, her not stoppping him kissing Patsy is aparently proof enough >_>

The show is full of little things like this that would easily be "fixed"

Pau

You're right. They made him a petty, coward of a man wholly obsessed with one person. This type of characterization would make it a bit more believable that someone with this power wouldn't try anything a bit more ambitious.
I always figured that was the point with The Purple Man. At the end of the day, for all his power, he's still petty and not too ambitious and thus more of a C-lister and not a world threatening supervillain. Just don't tell him that. D:

Top Bottom