• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones *SPOILER THREAD* |OT| Thanos is Purple, Man.

So did they ever give a reason why they couldn't use Simpson's testimony as a cop instead of the detective?

Is it because he was on leave? Because that'd be a pretty dumb reason.

It's because he has been adamant about how he wants Kilgrave dead around the time before they actually captured him (after the failed van snatching).

They have had to remind him it's a capture, not a kill and that Hope's life is ruined if they just kill him so many times it's clear where he stands. Dude went from friend to dick bag in no time.

jackdoe

They kinda did with the fight between Luke and Jessica. He's clearly resisting at the end there, enough for Jessica to get the shot off.

Though I think it kinda undermines the undercurrent of people struggling to come to terms with what they did under his influence, making it seem like the other people just failed because they weren't strong enough to resist or worse, didn't try hard enough. I was frankly kinda surprised they had Jessica brute force her way through it.
This, I absolutely agree with. With the way they explained how Jessica became immune to Kilgrave, i.e. he told her to do something she absolutely didn't want to do, it makes it seem like everyone else who does evil under Kilgrave, really has no problem performing the atrocities they are forced to do. Seriously, if they wanted to go this angle, they should have ended the series at the restaurant and have Hope kill Kilgrave after she becomes immune, just like Jessica, because she did something she absolutely didn't want to do.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't know about most people but I imagine putting your hand slowly into a blender would have a stronger 'no' effect than killing someone you barely knew.

This, I absolutely agree with. With the way they explained how Jessica became immune to Kilgrave, i.e. he told her to do something she absolutely didn't want to do, it makes it seem like everyone else who does evil under Kilgrave, really has no problem performing the atrocities they are forced to do. .

They never actually explained how she freed herself from his control.
Killing Reva was the snapping point but unlike EVERYONE ELSE we see him control (that hates him) he had been keeping her a slave to his mind control for a very long time to build this controlling/ fantasy relationship.

We see that for a very long time she has been fighting his mind control. On the roof that one day Kilgrave deluded himself into thinking they had a pure 18sec mind control free kiss she was partly breaking free from him by not obeying right away when he started controlling her again. The dad tries to say she's now immune because of something in her blood but as we see with his failure to make a vaccine with her blood (and decades of research) that's not the case or at least not the full truth.

As for Luke he didn't do anything special other then hold himself for a sec and tell her to do what she has to do (because he can't stop himself from dropping that fist on her). Sometimes people are shown hesitating when ordered to do something they don't want to do like the girl who said "But I have to go to the bathroom" when he told her to go to the closet. People can also twist what he told them to do into something not what he intended like Jerry taking him to her wife or Trish fumbling with the gun after she didn't shoot herself. She didn't want to shoot herself so instead of putting the bullet in the gun she starts banging it into her head because the bullet was the objective (she didn't think it all the way through though like JJ).

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Kilgrave didn't tell Jessica to kill Reva, he said "take care of her".

The immunity seems to come from the vagueness of the order that led Jessica to do something she didn't "want" to do but still "chose" to do. It was a snapping point, and the longtime exposure to his power is also implied to have something to do with it.

Frog-fu

Banned
Does it actually matter if its faithful to the comics? Shit didn't work in this show that's all that matters.

What about Cap gaining 100 pounds of pure muscle, abs and pecs included, and growing like a foot and a half over the course of 2 minutes after being injected with a serum?

Khezu

I just assumed Jessica became immune to Killgrave because of constant exposure of being around him for so long.

And she just naturally became immune to the virus he admits.

Then again, I have no idea how virus's and immunity work.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Kilgrave didn't tell Jessica to kill Reva, he said "take care of her".

The immunity seems to come from vagueness of the order that led Jessica to do something she didn't "want" to do but still "chose" to do. It was a snapping point, and the longtime exposure to his power is also implied to have something to do with it.

Who will rid me of this troublesome priest?

They were made to work together and intended to be taken in a certain mixture. 1 red, 2 white, 1 blue. They were not three entirely independent pills.Pills can be very colourful, for children or not and since they work together and could be potentially dangerous if you're taking the wrong combination it makes sense to colour code them so you're not accidental taking the wrong ones.

Also consider that different people may need different dosages of each pill. And also consider that a pill 4 times as large might be harder to swallow. Lots of pills are prescribed "take two." That's because the dosage depends on the person taking it. Also consider that there may be multiple "reds whites and blues" just as there are multiple kinds of sedatives and anti-inflammatories and who takes what are determined by what a patient responds to and any allergies etc.

So while everyone takes reds whites and blues, for you a blue may be naproxen, while for me a blue may be ibuprofen.

Johndoey

Banned
What about Cap gaining 100 pounds of pure muscle, abs and pecs included, and growing like a foot and a half over the course of 2 minutes after being injected with a serum?
I didn't say nothing from a comic can work on the screen. I just feel the mini Nuke arc flopped. But also i'm extremely biased since I already don't like Nuke. I didn't keep up with news for this series so when I heard the name I hoped i'd just we a cute nod.

I don't know about most people but I imagine putting your hand slowly into a blender would have a stronger 'no' effect than killing someone you barely knew.

Could be a psychological thing.

His parents appear to have given up all hope that anything but a vaccine could keep you from doing as he commands so maybe they don't fight it. Like how the mother stabs herself in the chest ... she coulda stabbed other parts of her body.

My theory is that jessica became immune to kilgrave because she is the star of the show and has super powers and has to win in the end and it's a comic book show and so on and so forth.

I didn't mind.

Not

Banned
This would've definitely been better as a ten-episode season. Marvel gotta get that extra ep money I guess.

Some of it just slogged and hurt the realistic pacing. Like, those scenes with Malcolm and the redhead woman under the bridge and Jeri running into her ex at the restaurant could've absolutely been expunged

And like twenty others. Almost Dexter levels of scenes not having any importance

Not

Banned
Ohhh hohhh Simpson was supposed to be the American flag face guy?

Ok. Still really weird how they introduced him. Seemed like a total throwaway character

My theory is that jessica became immune to kilgrave because she is the star of the show and has super powers and has to win in the end and it's a comic book show and so on and so forth.

I didn't mind.

My theory was prolonged exposure to the virus and a "gifted" immune system. Might explain why Cage was able to resist as well...

Either way awesome show though. It helps that Luke Cage makes me swoon.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Does it actually matter if its faithful to the comics? Shit didn't work in this show that's all that matters.

Except it did work. I fail to see how different pills having different effects is so outlandish, thats how pills work lol

or Trish fumbling with the gun after she didn't shoot herself. She didn't want to shoot herself so instead of putting the bullet in the gun she starts banging it into her head because the bullet was the objective (she didn't think it all the way through though like JJ).

It was a shell i think not the actual bullet. I dont see Trish be the kind of person to carry around extra ammo, she was reluctant to even have the gun

My theory was prolonged exposure to the virus and a "gifted" immune system. Might explain why Cage was able to resist as well...

Either way awesome show though. It helps that Luke Cage makes me swoon.

That's my theory on this one as well. He had her for 8 months, and physically she's superhuman. Her body had likely been fighting it for a while and that particularly stressful moment was a tipping point.

there's a moment in episode 12 where she tells cage that he's stronger than she is and should be able to push him (kilgrave) out- so it appears she thinks there's a physical component to it also.

I think Season 2 is probably Jessica putting herself back together now that her abuser is dead and gone. More heroic and aspirational.

He'll just regenerate into another body for season 2.

dw_coat_purple_600.jpg

purple bow ties are cool

It sounds like stupid fan wiki stuff, honestly. I didn't realize that Harry Potter people named everything "First Battle/Second Battle of Hogwarts" et al, and it just sounds dumb to me. People in the real world don't refer to things that way.

I don't think "the incident" is much better, though.

Truth is stranger than fiction.

If there were an alien invasion IRL, everyone would call it "the invasion" or some shit. It's simple and it works.

danielcw

It sounds like stupid fan wiki stuff, honestly. I didn't realize that Harry Potter people named everything "First Battle/Second Battle of Hogwarts" et al, and it just sounds dumb to me. People in the real world don't refer to things that way

I have a read about Battles at see being referred to as (First, Second, Third) Battle At Name Of Locaion/Area.

People in the real world can call it whatever they want, as long as it is clear what they mean, but if you write about, or it is part of your profession, their should be one agreed upon name.
So agents working for government organizations calling it the Battle Of New York makes sense to me.

Not sure how I feel about that ending, but this was top tier shit. Better than Daredevil for me, and Ritter killed it. Can't wait for my man Luke Cage to take the spotlight!

Blues1990

-I don't have a clue what character Simpson was supposed to be. Was Nuke an important character in the comics, or was he a pretty obscure hero that was hilariously bad?

-When Clemmons mentioned that "He was two-years away from retirement", I quickly said "Well, time to die." And it was frustrating that I was right, as I was expecting a double-bluff. Like a scene where he was pulling bullets from his body while his body was regenerating. Instead, Clemmons dies in a similar fashion to the Daredevil character Ben Urich, beat for beat. Didn't help that Simpson killing him was 100% unnecessary.

-I thought the headphone trick was pretty clever, but I was wondering why Jessica didn't try to get some deaf people to help her out. Unless if Killgraves powers are different from his comic book counterpart, right?

-While I understand why people would be bummed with Killgrave being yet-another villain on top of an increasing pile of dead MCU antagonists, there was no narrative justification for letting him live. The guy was downright terrifying, and you couldn't reason with him UNLESS if he was at a big disadvantage. Didn't help that his powers had increased tenfold, and the thought that he could tell hundreds of thousands of people to jump off a bridge (or continuously dick punch each other, whichever comes first) is rather nerve-racking.

-I liked that Jessica had remained a broken woman, even after setting things right and putting Killgrave in his place. It's a complete parallel to Daredevil's season 1 optimistic ending, and seeing how her life hasn't improved in the slightest with Killgrave out of the picture (and staring down at the bottle of her cheap whisky) was downright depressing.

-Luke Cage was a surprise for me. Didn't like him in the comics (I'm more familiar with how he first appeared in the 1970's than his modern incarnation), but his annoyance during the bar fight was delightful. The fact that he expends more effort restraining himself than he does hurting those idiots was great. Oh, and him expelling the words "Sweet Christmas" in such a subdued tone was pretty funny.

mooncakes

One small things that bugs me is that the neighbor besides malcom and the girl up stairs doesn't hear anything next to Jessica jones apartment? There so much shit going on and no one really notice.

Matt

...you would rather kill an innocent person than injure yourself?

...you would rather kill an innocent person than injure yourself?
I think fear of self-multiation is a lot scarier and more fucked-up than killing an innocent person. The latter sucks, but cutting your own face off or putting your hand into a blender is worse because the pain is happening to you

If this season was essentially a serial killer/stalker story, next season will be a grand conspiracy tale.

Power Broker for Season 2?

Also, there's a drug in the Marvel Universe called MGH, or Mutant Growth Hormone. It's an addictive drug made from Mutant hormones that temporarily grants humans mutant powers, and temporarily enhances mutants. Could IGH be the same thing, but replacing Mutant with Inhuman?

Cartman86

Banned
I just didn't find the whole Simpson thing particularly interesting and I know it'll get some future use but for the purposes of this show it felt like the setup for a shitty fight with no resolution. Besides that I just don't like Nuke.

Awww it was brilliant. A protective male victim of abuse who uses his own toxic power to "protect" his woman at any cost. He eats a fucking red pill! I loved all the different personalities that came in Killgraves's wake.

wildfire

Banned
" Kilgrave doesn't have some grand plan and there's actually comparatively very little at stake, Jessica is an inept hero and Kilgrave is an inept villain, but screentime is dedicated to explaining why they do what they do instead of elaborating on how they're doing it.

This comment is helping me cope with what I watched. I'm lukewarm to Daredevil but I'm more negatively polarized with Jessica Jones. I really like all the characters but I strongly dislike the plot. I keep thinking that these characters would be put to better use in some other show like Shield (Jones and Coulson riffing off each other with their snark would be a lot of fun).

I wish the plot was handled differently but if I relook at Jones and Kilgrave as halfassers that does help explain the lack of commitment from Kilgrave to kill Trish at the docks or Jessica's dropping the idea of continuing working within a team when Kilgrave use a very basic countermove to protect himself. It's not like we weren't given various scenes that showed how they both lack drive to really take advantage of their gifts.

Power Broker for Season 2?

Also, there's a drug in the Marvel Universe called MGH, or Mutant Growth Hormone. It's an addictive drug made from Mutant hormones that temporarily grants humans mutant powers, and temporarily enhances mutants. Could IGH be the same thing, but replacing Mutant with Inhuman?

IGH is the name of the 'firm'/organization though.

Don't understand the whole lesbian affair/divorce subplot, not read any JJ comics, this have some potential pay-off in a future season? It didn't seem to add anything to this season.

Also, the thing about the timing being wrong with Luke, the 12 hours if it still applied wasn't trustworthy anyway since he could have been made to be lying about those 6 hours or whatever it was since he last spoe to him.

And I did wonder why they hadn't tried earplugs until the very end.

I enjoyed it though it wasn't without issues and it set up a fair bit to revisit later, I just wish the show wasn't so stand alone except for Rosario Dawson's character showing up near the end. Before then not a single reference to DareDevil? I can understand barely referring to the Avengers but DD and JJ are in the same damn neighborhood! But like others I'm probably just spoiled from those CW shows.

Jonogunn

Hope dying was stupid. Like does everyone seriously die in this? Spent an entire season dealing with kilgrave being alive and doing terrible things to save a girl who dies anyway? Ugh.

jmood88

Hope dying was stupid. Like does everyone seriously die in this? Spent an entire season dealing with kilgrave being alive and doing terrible things to save a girl who dies anyway? Ugh.
The whole thing is an allegory for rape and people not believing victims and there have, sadly, been plenty of women who have killed themselves following a rape. It wasn't something ridiculously out of the ordinary.

Garlador

The whole thing is an allegory for rape and people not believing victims and there have, sadly, been plenty of women who have killed themselves following a rape. It wasn't something ridiculously out of the ordinary.

I get that... but she didn't kill herself out of grief or guilt. She did it to remove herself from the equation so Jessica could kill him to save others. It was an actual sacrifice... but one that negated the majority of the running plot of the series.

And can it be an "allegory" for rape when she was, quite literally, raped?

jmood88

I get that... but she didn't kill herself out of grief or guilt. She did it to remove herself from the equation so Jessica could kill him to save others. It was an actual sacrifice... but one that negated the majority of the running plot of the series.

And can it be an "allegory" for rape when she was, quite literally, raped?
I was talking about the story in general but you're right, she did get raped and she wanted to see him die and since her family was either dead or hated her, she didn't feel like she had anything to live for beyond Kilgrave's death.

Trey

One of the things I did like was Kilgrave's signature command being "smile," the annoying thing lost dudes tell women to do all the time.

Kilgrave is definitely an amalgam of various contemporary fuck boy tropes, and it doesn't feel too on the nose most of the time. It's believable.

Don't understand the whole lesbian affair/divorce subplot, not read any JJ comics, this have some potential pay-off in a future season? It didn't seem to add anything to this season.

The only real comics tie here is that Hogarth is Heroes for Hire's on-staff lawyer in the comic. The payoff was that it led to Hogarth facilitating Killgrave's escape.

It was not really needed, Jessica could have snapped Kilgrave's neck right there and save the people with the ropes around their neck with time to spare. Hope was free and there was no other safeguard in play to ensure Kilgrave's survival.

Trey

It was not really needed, Jessica could have snapped Kilgrave's neck right there and save the people with the ropes around their neck with time to spare. Hope was free and there was no other safeguard in play to ensure Kilgrave's survival.

At the time the contingency was that Jessica didn't know if Kilgrave's powers wore off when he was killed. And she was still avoiding killing him for her conscience.

I didn't buy it, but that was the reasoning.

evanmisha

I'm of the minority that thinks the show should've been longer.

Kilgrave being more of a treat would've made his appearances more tense for me. Having him constantly using his powers made me immune to the suspense by the time the finale rolled around. My boyfriend really enjoyed Robyn but I found her gratuitous.

Also they really should've played up Jessica killing Kilgrave. It was over in an instant and while I really enjoyed the monolog and everything that came after, this was their 'Get off of my boat!' moment and it kinda felt like they wasted it.

With all that said, I loved it. Can't wait for Daredevil season 2.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I thought Kilgrave was pretty much perfect, but they could have cut down the instances where he manages to escape by one or two times. The way his arc ultimately played out was slightly disappointing though. Didn't like how he ended up trying to amp his powers in order to actually control Jessica, since a large part of his attraction was based solely on the fact he couldn't control her.

Top Bottom