• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones *SPOILER THREAD* |OT| Thanos is Purple, Man.

Pau

I thought Kilgrave was pretty much perfect, but they could have cut down the instances where he manages to escape by one or two times. The way his arc ultimately played out was slightly disappointing though. Didn't like how he ended up trying to amp his powers in order to actually control Jessica, since a large part of his attraction was based solely on the fact he couldn't control her.
I think by that point he had given up being able to "get her back" without his powers and just wanted to have her and break her no matter the method. I'm sure if he was able to control her again he'd get bored rather quickly, but there was no way he was going to just leave her alone. In his perspective, amping up his superpower was the quickest way to get what he wanted.

I was really annoyed at how little they used Clark Peters and how quickly he was killed off. Like you, it immediately reminded me of how stupid Ben's death was (I will never like Karen because of how she got him killed).
actually, Ben got himself killed. He got into an argument with his boss at the NY bulletin, accusing him of working for fisk, and then that lady who actually does work for fisk gives him a call. the scene ended that way, I think. she gave him away. that wasn't karen's fault.

actually, Ben got himself killed. He got into an argument with his boss at the NY bulletin, accusing him of working for fisk, and then that lady who actually does work for fisk gives him a call. the scene ended that way, I think. she gave him away. that wasn't karen's fault.

Yes. That's the girl they arrest later when they come into the office.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Just realised that Kilgrave is like all those obnoxious guys who tell girls to smile.

Yeah, that aspect of the ending was perfect. They did an amazing job with Kilgrave all around.

The only thing that really bugged me was Episode 10 and the survivors group turning on Jessica. It was just a little too ridiculous for my taste.

Also, Simpson with the pills...I just felt like that was unnecessary. I liked what they did with him feeling remorse for the things he did under Kilgrave's influence and then having a relationship with Trish. But then his character just went bonkers so quickly. Him and Jessica could have butted heads about dealing with Kilgrave without him having to be a super soldier.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Yeah, that aspect of the ending was perfect. They did an amazing job with Kilgrave all around.

The only thing that really bugged me was Episode 10 and the survivors group turning on Jessica. It was just a little too ridiculous for my taste.

Also, Simpson with the pills...I just felt like that was unnecessary. I liked what they did with him feeling remorse for the things he did under Kilgrave's influence and then having a relationship with Trish. But then his character just went bonkers so quickly. Him and Jessica could have butted heads about dealing with Kilgrave without him having to be a super soldier.

Both those scenes you described tied in with the theme of control, or lack thereof. The survivors group have no control over their lives, and were being controlled by Jessica (noble end via scummy means) and Robyn (pure manipulation.) Essentially exploring how victims of mind-rape/the ones who survive after loved ones die deal with their grief. The power was taken from them, so they took it back.

Simpson is the same way. The dude left that life to be a cop, and the power was taken from him. In retrospect, that good cop died the second Kilgrave got hold of him. Chances are he was running from a horrible situation in his former spec-ops life, and realising that he'd always be put into the role of a soldier (told what to do, no choice in the matter) he snapped and figured he'd take control of his own life. Notice how he's always trying to be the team leader in the scenarios he draws up with Jess BEFORE the pills come into play; dude has a clear issue taken orders from the get go. The pills don't create the problem, they make the existing problem worse.
]

AMUSIX

Ugh...just read the OT posts for today, and once again someone is bringing up the whole "She got knocked out by a board, but just stood up from the food truck!" thing. I'm beginning to think that people don't watch stuff..instead, they just have it on while they're doing other shit.

In case people don't get it, in that same episode, when they're at the morgue, the coroner specifically states how strange it is for an old guy to die from being hit by a car, and that major pedestrian injuries are so rare since vehicle speeds in the city are so low. I suppose I'm foolish to think that people will remember something from 30 minutes prior, with such a clear call-back.

Joni

It sounds like stupid fan wiki stuff, honestly. I didn't realize that Harry Potter people named everything "First Battle/Second Battle of Hogwarts" et al, and it just sounds dumb to me. People in the real world don't refer to things that way.

I don't think "the incident" is much better, though.

Opening the New York in the American Civil War gives me Battle of Harlem Heights, Battle of Long Island, Battle of Valcour Island, Battle of Pell's Point, Battle of White Plains, Battle of Fort Washington. And that is just 1776. Searching First Battle Of on Google gives me First Battle of Ypres, First Battle of the Marne, First Battle of the Masurian Lakes, ... The Battle of New York and the First Battle of Hogwarts make sense considering historians keep naming battles like that.

Just finished it. LOVED it. Seriously, what a fantastic show. I still like Daredevil more but this still managed to entertain me from start to finish. Was really happy to see Claire in the final episode and I hope we see more crossovers between the shows (and movies!) in future seasons of the Netflix stuff.

jmood88

No, Karen tricked Ben into going to the nursing home where Fisk's mom was staying after he told her that he was taking time off from everything to take care of his wife. The only reason he was killed was because Fisk was so angry that they contacted his mom.

Krowley

Just finished it last night and really loved it.

In the end, it has enough flaws to put it slightly below Daredevil, but it's still plenty great and I can't wait to see the other stuff Marvel has in mind for these Netflix shows.

I've noticed a lot of people seem to be complaining about the second half of the season, and I just didn't see the problem at all. The second half is where Tennant starts to really make his presence felt, and he was a fantastic villain. Every second he was on screen added to the show.

dbztrk

I enjoyed it though it wasn't without issues and it set up a fair bit to revisit later, I just wish the show wasn't so stand alone except for Rosario Dawson's character showing up near the end. Before then not a single reference to DareDevil? I can understand barely referring to the Avengers but DD and JJ are in the same damn neighborhood! But like others I'm probably just spoiled from those CW shows.

The cop Mahoney was in the precinct when Kilgrave mind controlled the cops.

dbztrk

Just finished it last night and really loved it.

In the end, it has enough flaws to put it slightly below Daredevil, but it's still plenty great and I can't wait to see the other stuff Marvel has in mind for these Netflix shows.

I've noticed a lot of people seem to be complaining about the second half of the season, and I just didn't see the problem at all. The second half is where Tennant starts to really make his presence felt, and he was a fantastic villain. Every second he was on screen added to the show.

To me, the second half felt like it dragged on. Even after Hope killed herself. I was like finish this mofo off already.

Also, it's key to Daredevil and his supporting characters that they self-righteously blame themselves for shit.
I guess?
No, Karen tricked Ben into going to the nursing home where Fisk's mom was staying after he told her that he was taking time off from everything to take care of his wife. The only reason he was killed was because Fisk was so angry that they contacted his mom.
No, the reason he was killed is because kingpin was informed of it by the person working for him at the newspaper, and she found out by hearing Ben making a scene out of it right at the newspaper making everyone hear it.

And Karen had nothing to do with that.

jmood88

No, the reason he was killed is because kingpin was informed of it by the person working for him at the newspaper, and she found out by hearing Ben making a scene out of it right at the newspaper making everyone hear it.

And Karen had nothing to do with that.
And Fisk would have had nothing to be informed of had Karen not tricked Ben into going to the nursing home. There was no reason for them to go to the nursing home and Ben never would've gone had Karen not told him that there was a place where his wife could be taken care of.

And Fisk would have had nothing to be informed of had Karen not tricked Ben into going to the nursing home. There was no reason for them to go to the nursing home and Ben never would've gone had Karen not told him that there was a place where his wife could be taken care of.
The point is Karen didn't do anything that got Ben killed directly. Kingpin would not have found out about Urich going upstate if he had kept his cool at the newspaper. She's not the reason he died, although she obviously feels a lot of guilt out of it.

jmood88

The point is Karen didn't do anything that got Ben killed directly. Kingpin would not have found out about Urich going upstate if he had kept his cool at the newspaper.
Again, the whole situation existed because of Karen. Fisk was angry that they saw his mom and the only reason it happened was because of Karen. They tried to justify her shittiness at the end by having Ben's wife say that he could never leave a story alone but Fisk's mom existing had nothing to do with anything and Ben was killed off for no reason.

Again, the whole situation existed because of Karen. Fisk was angry that they saw his mom and the only reason it happened was because of Karen. They tried to justify her shittiness at the end by having Ben's wife say that he could never leave a story alone but Fisk's mom existing had nothing to do with anything and Ben was killed off for no reason.
You can continue to hate Karen if you want, nothing I say will change that, but Ben dying was not her fault. The reason Fisk found out was because of Urich himself.

Bizazedo

You can continue to hate Karen if you want, nothing I say will change that, but Ben dying was not her fault. The reason Fisk found out was because of Urich himself.

Fisk clearly indicates he only killed him because he messed with his mother, though. Investigating Fisk isn't an automatic death sentence.

Fisk clearly indicates he only killed him because he messed with his mother, though. Investigating Fisk isn't an automatic death sentence.
Fisk found out about it because he got a call from the person working at the newspaper. Not because of Karen. That's all I was trying to say.

jmood88

I don't know how you can say it wasn't her fault when Ben was done with the whole investigation until she lied about wanting to help his dying wife to get him to go to the nursing home.

Episode 10 was awful and 11 had way too much filler bs too.

I hate it when shows do stupid shit like where JJ randomly got hit by a truck or when the support group knocked her out. Seems like they just want to prolong the show.

Overall it was good but stuff like that knocked it down a few notches. DD's definitely better.

I don't know how you can say it wasn't her fault when Ben was done with the whole investigation until she lied about wanting to help his dying wife to get him to go to the nursing home.
I explained it to you three times, I don't knowhow you can say you don't know how I see it wasn't her fault. So again,

The reason Ben Urich painted a target on his back was because he made a scene at the NY Bulletin accusing his boss of working for the Kingpin. He got fired, but not before a crony who was working for the Kingpin gave him a call and informed him of what Urich just said. Then Kingpin pays him a visit.

That was all out of Urich's own accord. He was pushing for his work to get published, not Karen. He talked about Fisk out loud at the Bulletin, not Karen. He got himself killed, not Karen.

jmood88

I explained it to you three times, I don't knowhow you can say you don't know how I see it wasn't her fault. So again,

The reason Ben Urich painted a target on his back was because he made a scene at the NY Bulletin accusing his boss of working for the Kingpin. He got fired, but not before a crony who was working for the Kingpin gave him a call and informed him of what Urich just said. Then Kingpin pays him a visit.

That was all out of Urich's own accord. He was pushing for his work to get published, not Karen. He talked about Fisk out loud at the Bulletin, not Karen. He got himself killed, not Karen.
You keep ignoring the fact that none of it would've happened with Karen's continued insistence on investigating the story when Ben told her to stop and her lies to get him to go with her. If it was all just on Ben, then it never would've happened because he never would've gone to the nursing home. You seem to want to absolve Karen and that makes no sense. She got to escape the situation she created with no consequences.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
You keep ignoring the fact that none of it would've happened with Karen's continued insistence on investigating the story when Ben told her to stop and her lies to get him to go with her. If it was all just on Ben, then it never would've happened because he never would've gone to the nursing home. You seem to want to absolve Karen and that makes no sense. She got to escape the situation she created with no consequences.

You're both going in circles, but I do think you're right here.

I'm not ignoring it, I'm fully aware of that fact hence me mentioning why Karen felt so guilty in the season finale, as she should be. I didn't say it was all on Ben, all I'm saying is that Karen isn't the reason he died.
You're both going in circles, but I do think you're right here.
I'm not trying to absolve Karen of anything, but just clearing up a misconception. Yes, none of that would have ever happened had it not been for Karen's deception, but she did not directly cause Ben to get killed.

After the bar explosion, Luke walking with a Target shopping bag makes him like a regular person lol

Nice to see night nurse I mean Claire. (Real night nurse is in Dr. Strange)

Not bad, but not as strong as DD
some flimsy side stories

Prototype

Finished it last night. Really liked the show, Kristen Riter killed it. Hopefully they come up with some thing as good for season 2.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not trying to absolve Karen of anything, but just clearing up a misconception. Yes, none of that would have ever happened had it not been for Karen's deception, but she did not directly cause Ben to get killed..

Alright that makes sense.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Both those scenes you described tied in with the theme of control, or lack thereof. The survivors group have no control over their lives, and were being controlled by Jessica (noble end via scummy means) and Robyn (pure manipulation.) Essentially exploring how victims of mind-rape/the ones who survive after loved ones die deal with their grief. The power was taken from them, so they took it back.

Simpson is the same way. The dude left that life to be a cop, and the power was taken from him. In retrospect, that good cop died the second Kilgrave got hold of him. Chances are he was running from a horrible situation in his former spec-ops life, and realising that he'd always be put into the role of a soldier (told what to do, no choice in the matter) he snapped and figured he'd take control of his own life. Notice how he's always trying to be the team leader in the scenarios he draws up with Jess BEFORE the pills come into play; dude has a clear issue taken orders from the get go. The pills don't create the problem, they make the existing problem worse.
]

Oh wow, I never even thought of that. That really lies into the overall theme of the show. Great analysis, thank you.

I like the swing on the net that I'm seeing. Like, the more time passes the more people come forward to shoot down shit arguments people throw against this series.

Seems like giving people time to watch the series helps a great deal.

ramparter

Banned
Just finished it. Show started really strong but around episode 8-9 wend downwards. Not bad but certainly nothing really impressed me after that and I found many things really stupid and unnecessary. And the finale with Kilgrave didn't make much sense, I mean what really convinced him that he had control of her? She could as well fake it. And he could at least have ordered Trish to harm her if anything happened to him.. Anyway I really enjoyed, I just think there wasn't much reason behind a lot of things and that many other were really random.

The point is Karen didn't do anything that got Ben killed directly. Kingpin would not have found out about Urich going upstate if he had kept his cool at the newspaper. She's not the reason he died, although she obviously feels a lot of guilt out of it.

Lol, you can keep thinking this, but she most certainly did, even with them trying to take away blame from her by claiming "Ben was just being a reporter and couldn't help it"

What would happen if Kilgrave asks someone to do something? EG instead of saying "pick up that can", he says "Can you pick up that can?"

Lol, you can keep thinking this, but she most certainly did, even with them trying to take away blame from her by claiming "Ben was just being a reporter and couldn't help it"

Yeah, I'm pretty damn sure Ben died because Karen took him to see Kingpin's mother.
IIRC that's what he says when he kills him.

What would happen if Kilgrave asks someone to do something? EG instead of saying "pick up that can", he says "Can you pick up that can?"

Thought that was covered when he paid dude for his house. If it's not a command it seems like there's no control.

I assume they would have to interpret the command. So they could just say yes I can or they would pick it up. I imagine he has become mindful of how he gives commands based on how long he has been controlling people.

Edit: Actually Black-Wind is right above now that I think about it.

What I'm going to keep doing is clearing up this misconception because no, Karen did not directly get Ben Urich killed. I'm not thinking it, I know it. And I've explained it numerous times already and I guess I'll have to do it again.
Yeah, I'm pretty damn sure Ben died because Karen took him to see Kingpin's mother.
IIRC that's what he says when he kills him.
but the kingpin found out through his crony working at the newspaper. And she found out because Ben was arguing out loud with his boss right in the middle of the office. And again, he got to that point because Karen brought him to it but if he had been more careful, then the kingpin wouldn't have found out.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Listening to Fatman on Batman, and he's talking about the show, and he busts out something I never even noticed:
Trish's Mom/Jessica's Foster Mom, was played by Rebecca De Mornay. Sweet Christmas, I never noticed.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
What I'm going to keep doing is clearing up this misconception because no, Karen did not directly get Ben Urich killed. I'm not thinking it, I know it. And I've explained it numerous times already and I guess I'll have to do it again.
but the kingpin found out through his crony working at the newspaper. And she found out because Ben was arguing out loud with his boss right in the middle of the office. And again, he got to that point because Karen brought him to it but if he had been more careful, then the kingpin wouldn't have found out.

I'm pretty sure Fisk found out about Urich because he signed his name in the register of visitors when visiting Fisk's mother. Sure, the Fisk informant probably called whoever and said "Ben Urich was screaming about Wilson Fisk!" Urich was already a dead man, since he was the only person who signed on the registry.

Also, Jessica Jones is a good show that I liked.

I'm pretty sure Fisk found out about Urich because he signed his name in the register of visitors when visiting Fisk's mother. Sure, the Fisk informant probably called whoever and said "Ben Urich was screaming about Wilson Fisk!" Urich was already a dead man, since he was the only person who signed on the registry.
I thought they said they put fake names in the registries. I don't remember. But if what you're saying is true, then yeah, I'm wrong. It'd be Karen's fault.

Jonogunn

Fisk found out because his mom remembered having visitors and shit. I forgot how exactly he found out it was urich but it was indeed Karen's fault. She's the one who tricked Ben into going there and he didn't have a chance to back out because he didn't know what was going on until they were already in mother fisk's room.

Ben Urich dying was the worse part of daredevil. it just made no sense for him to go out like that. *sigh*. What a waste of a good side character.

Honestly the more I think about Jessica jones the more I dislike the show. I want so much for all the netflix shows to be awesome but I just didn't feel that way about it.

I still hope they get good enough ratings to have a season 2 though. It was all that bad and shows can be redeemed.

Frog-fu

Banned
Come on, Karen is lot worse character because of Wesley. That was ten times worse.

Wesley was a bad guy and had it coming.

Ben was good, and he wanted out to take care of his ailing wife.

Their deaths were equally impactful to me.

Top Bottom