• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Luke Cage *SPOILER THREAD* |OT| Where WAS His Money, Honey?

wildfire

Banned
The way they were doing the detective thing with Misty made it feel like it was a super power. It sucks that just like AoS (or well to a lesser extent) on ABC the TV stuff is the neglected middle child of this universe and it's just going to get worse with it being such a one way street. Luke is someone who should definitely be on the radar even if he his abilities are only street level.

I'm still interested in seeing where it all goes with Defenders.

I wouldn't be surprise me if Misty is gifted but she never realized it. It's on her 2nd crime scene (I believe, need to rewatch) where I felt she was pulling up ideas she couldn't even guess about.

Luke isn't simply on the radar he doesn't even hide his officially assumed identity. How they go about explaining why he shouldn't wear a mask made the idea of the character a lot more appealing.

The Kree

Banned
Cottonmouth, Shades, Diamondback, and Mariah were all great. Seriously, Luke Cage's rogue gallery put Film Marvel, and honestly, Daredevil and Jessica Jones, to shame.

Easy to do when you've got thirteen hours to develop characters.

jmood88

Easy to do when you've got thirteen hours to develop characters.
It is easier but the Netflix shows have also gone out of their way to make sure that the villain is given just as much attention and care as the hero. Cottonmouth, Fisk, and Kilgrave were all interesting pretty much from the moment they appeared onscreen.

jmood88

Speaking of Shades, I wonder if they're going to show him with powers. Every time he took his sunglasses on and they lingered on his eyes, I expected him to kill someone with them.

Dunlop

Speaking of Shades, I wonder if they're going to show him with powers. Every time he took his sunglasses on and they lingered on his eyes, I expected him to kill someone with them.
Same I thought he was enhanced, love the character in the show. Just read the wiki on him for the comics and hope they stay away from that route.

Like the series overall, but unlike DD I never "needed" to watch the next episode, it was really a slow burn

MoeDabs

I don't understand how any rational human being can say they don't love Diamondback. The guy is gold. Solid gold. The Shogun of Harlem. I loved every scene the guy was in.

Netflix Marvel makes villainy look so easy that it makes me that much more frustrated with what the films are offering. Outside of Loki and Zemo, all of them have been underwhelming.

It probably depends on how much cheese you can take. Nothing was memorable other than the "IM LUKE CAGE!" part, for me at least, and that wasnt for the best reasons. Plus, Cottonmouth was a much better villain, then got replaced by cheese, then replaced with whatever Mariah was becoming. Not saying i cant see why people enjoy it, just didnt work at all for me.

I don't understand how any rational human being can say they don't love Diamondback. The guy is gold. Solid gold. The Shogun of Harlem. I loved every scene the guy was in.

Netflix Marvel makes villainy look so easy that it makes me that much more frustrated with what the films are offering. Outside of Loki and Zemo, all of them have been underwhelming.

Diamondback isn't a good character. He's not even close to resembling a shogun as well. He was your generic bible quoting crazy who has a hard-on for someone. You know the character is weak when a lot of their dialogue references the bible or quotes it. Compare him to Ben Wade from 3:10 to Yuma and you will see how to properly do bible villain - with subtlety.

"I'M LUKE CAGE"

Shit was awful to the core.

Eidan

The way Diamondback says "bitch" makes me laugh every time.

All of his lines had me cracking a smile. The costume reveal pushed me over the edge into full blown love for the character. He's pretty much Marvel's Joker at this point to me.

I'm more disappointed at the tease of Misty messing up her arm and then them not going anywhere with it. Unless the injuries will be lingering in the next season

All of his lines had me cracking a smile. The costume reveal pushed me over the edge into full blown love for the character. He's pretty much Marvel's Joker at this point to me.

The weird thing about the costume is when you have a character flat out call it out on how silly it looks...why go for it? Is this some weird fourth wall breaking, meta-humor?

Eidan

Diamondback isn't a good character. He's not even close to resembling a shogun as well. He was your generic bible quoting crazy who has a hard-on for someone. You know the character is weak when a lot of their dialogue references the bible or quotes it. Compare him to Ben Wade from 3:10 to Yum and you will see how to properly do bible villain - with subtlety.

I was referencing the similarity I find between Diamondback and Shonuff.

Subpar indeed.

The weird thing about the costume is when you have a character flat out call it out on how silly it looks...why go for it? Is this some weird fourth wall breaking, meta-humor?

The show revels in references to the 70's material. Luke Cage's original costume, Diamondback's original costume, "Power Man". Hell, even Misty dons an outfit closer to her comic counterpart by show's end. So I guess I'm saying they did it because the show enjoys call backs to the classic material.

jmood88

It'd be great if the Netflix shows got Sam Rockwell to be a recurring character and Stark-lite since Downey is way too expensive to hope for him to show up.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

Diamondback was utterly terrible. He stood out even more after seeing Cottonmouth, Shades and Black Mariah in the same show. Cornell and Mariah Dillard both had the same edge Wilson Fisk had. They had a truly messed up, fascinating story to them, that explains so much about them. Seeing them struggle against a bulletproof man in their world was exciting shit. Shades was well...shady. You never can pin down his true allegiances and motives. He was great to second guess all the time,

Then comes Diamondback, with his pitiful cliche ass backstory. Nothing he did was ever on the level of the truly great MCU villains. Cottonmouth was legendary already after the rooftop scene in Episode 2. Seeing him cry after Pop's death, already made him one of the most layered, rich villains ever in the MCU.

Diamondback had shitty fucking plans, a ridiculous outfit that made him look like a budget Power Rangers cosplayer, and the plot trajectory of a pebble being tossed by a child. There was nothing 70s about the costume. It simply looked ridiculous, and dear God that Rocky V final fight was an embarassment.

Diamondback was an Arrow villain trapped in a Marvel show.

Dear God...That's beautiful.

Alienous

The thing is, the plot stops making sense once Diamondback arrives. But his thing is being crazy, so it sort of makes sense that it doesn't make sense, but that doesn't make it good.

He was definitely playing a comic book character, and it didn't mesh well with everyone else giving down-to-earth performances.

Eidan

Diamondback was utterly terrible. He stood out even more after seeing Cottonmouth, Shades and Black Mariah in the same show. Cornell and Mariah Dillard both had the same edge Wilson Fisk had. They had a truly messed up, fascinating story to them, that explains so much about them. Seeing them struggle against a bulletproof man in their world was exciting shit. Shades was well...shady. You never can pin down his true allegiances and motives. He was great to second guess all the time,

Then comes Diamondback, with his pitiful cliche ass backstory. Nothing he did was ever on the level of the truly great MCU villains. Cottonmouth was legendary already after the rooftop scene in Episode 2. Seeing him cry after Pop's death, already made him one of the most layered, rich villains ever in the MCU.

Diamondback had shitty fucking plans, a ridiculous outfit that made him look like a budget Power Rangers cosplayer, and the plot trajectory of a pebble being tossed by a child. There was nothing 70s about the costume. It simply looked ridiculous, and dear God that Rocky V final fight was an embarassment.

diamondback-green-hammertech-suit-luke-cage-1.jpg

luke-cage-diamondback.png

As for the rest of what you said...eh, I'm not feeling you on any of it. I agree that Cottonmouth and Mariah are both nuanced villains with interesting, tragic backstories, and that Diamondback comparatively lacks that. And I'm saying I love it anyway. I don't feel as though the only way to make a villain compelling is to have them be conflicted about being bad. All out awfulness with a campy flair also work, and Diamondback delivered.

Basically. Cottonmouth felt genuine. He was more than a crime boss; he had depth and a deep connection to setting and culture. He was menacing while also being sympathetic. The conflict between him and Cage was more than just vigilante versus criminal.

Diamondback was a failure of build-up (this mysterious powerful figure who Cottonmouth fears is just some insane gundealer/assassin? Who happens to also be Luke's brother) and a failure of motivation (oh great, daddy issues and jealousy. Taking a page from Spectre's playbook is really smart...)

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Reminds me of how Gotham ruins the looks of their villains. I busted out laughing when this palette swap M.Bison outfit turns out to be bulletproof.

Eidan

My only problem with Diamondback is the daddy issues. I don't think you needed him to be Luke's brother. I was perfectly fine with him being an old acquaintance or friend with a serious grudge.

Also the kid who played young Will wasn't crazy enough.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Personally I thought Diamondback was far better in the shadows and when he shows up, he's not nearly as interesting or scary. He chews the scenery ok but overall it just felt like they needed someone to fight Luke Cage for the second half of the serious since Shades or Mariah wouldn't be doing that. That and it felt a bit contrived that the big bad who was helping Cottonmouth was not only related to the main character but had a bitter rivalry for him. I mean it works I guess but Cottonmouth was a far better villain without the connections to Luke or the crazy attitude that felt forced.

Personally I thought Diamondback was far better in the shadows and when he shows up, he's not nearly as interesting or scary. He chews the scenery ok but overall it just felt like they needed someone to fight Luke Cage for the second half of the serious since Shades or Mariah wouldn't be doing that.

Yeah, I said it before, maybe they felt not having a physical threat to Cage would be lame, but really I would have been perfectly fine without one. It's like the Superman syndrome. There are soo many ways of telling a story about a near invulnerable character whose conflicts come from struggling to save everyone, or people not invulnerable suffering because of his actions, but it seems they always default to giving them someone to fight

LakeEarth

Drive-by post because I haven't watched the last episode left, but the scene where Diamondback kills all the gang leaders reminded me of the early scene in Daredevil season 2 with all the Irish gang got whacked. It's been a bad year for gang leaders.

Alienous

It's fucked up what they did to Cottonmouth.

They had only just given him winning leverage over Luke Cage and they cop-out by conveniently killing him. I liked his death, though.

Eidan

Yeah, I said it before, maybe they felt not having a physical threat to Cage would be lame, but really I would have been perfectly fine without one. It's like the Superman syndrome. There are soo many ways of telling a story about a near invulnerable character whose conflicts come from struggling to save everyone, or people not invulnerable suffering because of his actions, but it seems they always default to giving them someone to fight

I'd say this show set Mariah up as the perfect foil to Luke.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Shocked at the amount of Cottonmouth in here.

Personally, I found him a rather lacking character, not to mention a hugely underwhelming villain who failed to project even the slightest trace of menace. Although Diamondback was far too cartoony in comparison, he at least came across as somewhat threatening.

rtcn63

When Cage says he's from Chicago, is that a comic reference or are the writers slyly hinting to his character from The Good Wife?

Exactly. Basically the same reason why Lex Luthor works as a Superman villain. Thugs and gangsters are never a real threat for someone who's basically invincible, you need a different element to the relationship to make things more threatening and interesting.

I wouldn't be surprise me if Misty is gifted but she never realized it. It's on her 2nd crime scene (I believe, need to rewatch) where I felt she was pulling up ideas she couldn't even guess about.

Luke isn't simply on the radar he doesn't even hide his officially assumed identity. How they go about explaining why he shouldn't wear a mask made the idea of the character a lot more appealing.

Yeah, that explanation and reasoning/logic is the pretty much the same deal as with Superman. Except in Superman's case, Clark Kent is actually wearing two of them but the general public doesn't realize he's pretty much hiding who he is in plain sight.

MartyStu

Yep. And Mariah thought process works much better in this world anyway.

The scene where she questions if Luke can drown, be poisoned, burned, etc was pretty awesome because it showed how smalltime Cottonmouth's thought-process is.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Yep. And Mariah thought process works much better in this world anyway.

The scene where she questions if Luke can drown, be poisoned, burned, etc was pretty awesome because it showed how smalltime Cottonmouth's thought-process is.

Anyone else surprised that didn't take that idea anywhere?

I was fully expecting that to lead to a plotline where Cottonmouth would build a secret swimming pool underneath his club or something.

Ross61

Just finished it. It's the BEST and BLACKEST MCU show there is. The best supporting cast too.

Diamondback had the greatest line of the show: "I sent you to hell and you came back with superpowers. Ain't that a bitch!" Nigga I was dying laughing.

Shades was the worst actor tho.

Top Bottom