• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Luke Cage *SPOILER THREAD* |OT| Where WAS His Money, Honey?

Blues1990

I just finished watching episode 4, and I love how they incorporated the Archie Goodwin and John Romita, Sr. Power Man costume, along with Luke saying "Sweet Susan" & "Sweet Christmas" at various points.

I can't wait to see more of the series.

Finished the show today. Liked the show. Surprised how much it was filmed on Washington heights. Funnily it was my girlfriend that recognized Connie's restaurant as the restaurant that is close to my apt. Then I remember that there was filming being done there early in the year, and I walked by and didn't ask.

Another funny this is how bad the show was with cell phones. There were a few scenes in which people where having phone calls with the lock screens.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Finished the show today. Liked the show. Surprised how much it was filmed on Washington heights. Funnily it was my girlfriend that recognized Connie's restaurant as the restaurant that is close to my apt. Then I remember that there was filming being done there early in the year, and I walked by and didn't ask.

Another funny this is how bad the show was with cell phones. There were a few scenes in which people where having phone calls with the lock screens.

Misty is so guilty of this

Fhtagn

Shades is the most shockingly competent villain in the MCU.

Yeah, I dug him. I liked the subversion of the MCU "hey, you like this villain? We're gonna kill him off for no reason" trope late in the season when he almost gets offed. Due to the pattern I really thought he was a goner there and was pissed until he got the gun.

The most egregious one is when Misty is trapped in the basement, the phone is on the text message screen and she calls the inspector instead and proceeds to have poor signal and the call drops *forehead smack

Yeah, I dug him. I liked the subversion of the MCU "hey, you like this villain? We're gonna kill him off for no reason" trope late in the season when he almost gets offed. Due to the pattern I really thought he was a goner there and was pissed until he got the gun.

It's cool because he doesn't have a super power as well.

Da-Kid

Shades: So you shoot up a club, have your men take those trapped hostage at gunpoint, blame it on Luke Cage and let the hostages go despite the hostages KNOWING Luke didn't take them hostage but you did and can testify to that which would match up with what all the hostages will say?

Diamondback: Yeah.

Shades: *Takes off glasses* Lawyer.

Kyari

I just wrapped this up and I dunno man. I enjoyed it, but the ending especially fell flat. There was far less closure than Dare Devil or Jessica Jones, it felt like the season's ending fell victim to a need to set up antagonists for Defenders a little?

I also lol'd at how many times they teased the potential loss of Misty's arm.

I'm actually pretty interested in any love triangle shenanigans that might arrive between Luke, Claire and Jessica.

I wouldn't be so sour about Cottonmouth's death if his replacement(s) weren't bad. People here already talked up and down about Diamondback but fuuuuuuuuck Mariah. Just vile, annoying scum to a point where I just can't.

Tiny nitpick here, but a point blank shotgun gives Luke a devastating concussion, yet somehow a bullet exploding into shrapnel inside him doesn't shred his insides and ricochet against his dense skin like an internal blender?

Tiny nitpick here, but a point blank shotgun gives Luke a devastating concussion, yet somehow a bullet exploding into shrapnel inside him doesn't shred his insides and ricochet against his dense skin like an internal blender?

Kind of surprised not one bullet hit his eyes or anything soft. They all seemed to go for body shots.

Man, remembering when people were wishing that the State Department mom from Civil War was also Mariah Stokes. HAHA, now after watching Luke Cage, oh man would I not want that anymore. Mariah is RUTHLESS, and that would have made her lying to Stark sooo freakin' twisted. XD

So I really liked this show. Marathoned it over 2 nights before the Netflix outage on Saturday (Started at 3am EDT, slept on it about 5 episodes in then the following Friday evening finished up). Can I say that my favorite thing was in episode 12, both things with Method Man? Not that he was in it, but what goes on there is something that I've wanted from the Marvel Cinematic Playset ever since they started: A hero doing hero things, being appreciated for it, and then the people he saved telling others about it. I know we've had it in the Spider-Man films, but that's so cornball rah-rah I-Love-New-York Never-Forget-btw-Here's-The-American-Flag that I can't see that as genuine. Here, it really worked for me.

And with regards to the actual ending, maybe it's Civil War rubbing off on me, but I liked that things don't end all-well. It has bits and pieces that can lead to resolving the things that happened here well (Bobby Fish finding the folder with the evidence that can exonerate Luke, Claire knows Foggy who can help out), but hey, that folder could be full of blank sheets of paper too.

Maybe the effects of that super-violent test video were only really effective on normal people? Luke's genetic composition might have been actively resisting that kind of violent reaction but also helping to make it hurt way more as those pieces remained in him? Iunno, fully in Overthinking-It mode, I think.

PBalfredo

I can't get enough of Diamondback running around in his power suit and hoodie, super-punching cops and cackling

"I'M LUKE CAGE!"

"I JUST KILLED A COP AND MY NAME IS LUKE CAGE!"

"KHAHAHAHAHA!"

Then everyone is standing around like "Holy shit. Luke Cage just killed that man."

I can't get enough of Diamondback running around in his power suit and hoodie, super-punching cops and cackling

"I'M LUKE CAGE!"

"KHAHAHAHAHA!"

Then everyone is standing around like "Holy shit. Luke Cage just killed that man."

I loved how Misty was instantly like, "Yeah this sounds dumb as shit and makes no sense"

Finished it. Overall I liked it, but it wasn't my favorite. A lot of the dialogue was stilted and cheesy as hell. I can appreciate some good cheese, but I think they went a bit overboard sometimes. And a few of the plot specifics were a bit bizarre.

The part with the garbage truck was really, really dumb. Diamondback shoots Luke into the back of the truck in broad daylight, with people on the street all around them, and no one reacts, and the truck operator doesn't think he should check what the heck that gunshot was behind his truck? And even worse, Diamondback gives his cronies hell because they can't find Luke afterward, when he could of just went right up to Luke and finished him off??? It was stupid. Diamondback is stupid. (He was the worst part of the whole show.)

Also Misty and her phone. She loses her phone, the same phone which is the only way to communicate with the waitress girl electronically, and she doesn't do anything about it? Like send someone to Claire's mom's house to say the phone has been lost?

I still really liked it though, as I said above. Shades and Mariah are great villains, and Cottonmouth had a lot of potential. Also, Rosario Dawson is a treasure.

"I'M LUKE CAGE!"

"KHAHAHAHAHA!"

I found that fucking hilarious. What dude, after killing a cop, shouts, "I'm Luke Cage!"

Like, any person who even knows Luke Cage knows that tiny mother fucker couldn't be him. I was surprised no one saw the footage and was like, "that Tom Cruise size mother fucker can't be Luke Cage".

KarmaCow

Well it's not like he's hollow inside, not much room to bounce around. The bullet was meant to annihilate itself in the explosion as well. His skin dissipates the energy from the explosion but also keeps jagged bullet shrapnel inside, grinding against his internal organs.

Volimar

They mentioned Obama so is his presidency a thing in MCU? What about the guy who was president in Iron Man 3?

lPF3O.gif

Jobbs

Banned
Diamondback and Luke Cage himself were the two main problems with the show. Diamondback is annoying and Luke Cage is a flatline. He showed some sparks of life in the last couple episodes but mostly was a boring dud. I also found his frequently bad acting to be pretty off putting.

I enjoyed the first 4 episodes a lot, then it fell completely off a cliff by around 7, and then got good again in the final 2 episodes.

Finished it Saturday night, enjoyed it obviously. On one hand killing Cottonmouth like that was a surprise or at least him going out that way, I was disappointed a bit but I didn't expect him to make it to the end it was a good turn on Mariah but it also marked an end to a good deal of tension. Diamondback was just comedy. It's funny how Rosario Dawson keeps popping up being the glue binding all these shows, I'm sure she pops up in Iron Fist too. The way they were doing the detective thing with Misty made it feel like it was a super power. It sucks that just like AoS (or well to a lesser extent) on ABC the TV stuff is the neglected middle child of this universe and it's just going to get worse with it being such a one way street. Luke is someone who should definitely be on the radar even if he his abilities are only street level.

I'm still interested in seeing where it all goes with Defenders.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
SO WHAT YEAR IS IT?! *insert edited image of Robin Williams from Jumanji*
Seems like Luke Cage takes place in late November 2016 and ends a week or so into December. The dash cam footage that goes viral from the cop car says 12/1. Makes sense as Daredevil season 2 started in the summer and ended at X-Mas time of 2016 (I think?)

So can someone who knows the comics or history of Luke Cage tell me what all the talk in the FBI van at the end was about, with the comic that the officer read and a bunch of names and places that they dropped and their relevance.

So can someone who knows the comics or history of Luke Cage tell me what all the talk in the FBI van at the end was about, with the comic that the officer read and a bunch of names and places that they dropped and their relevance.

Those were names of real life authors of detective novels; just making emphasis again that Luke is well read is how I took it.

sirap

Good season. Thought it kinda stumbled towards the end. Shades "conveniently" getting Misty's phone is just lazy writing, but I can let it past.

Really hope they don't give Diamondback superpowers.

EDIT: I wonder if Claire's gonna get it on with Iron Fist too. Nick Fury of the Defenders? Pfft, she's well on her way to becoming a hero groupie.

Dahbomb

I give this show a:

51ab8d24afa96f6f1700002c.jpg

out of 10.

And "she can't keep getting away with it!"

Kinda hoped we had a Matt cameo in there. Would've put her behind bars already.

Cuburt

Luke Cage meets Method Man whose alias is Johnny Blaze, the name of Ghost Rider, who was played by Nicholas Cage in the films, who took the last name "Cage" from the comic character....Luke Cage.

#It'sallconnected

The Kree

Banned
When did the events of the first Avengers movie take place? Did Obama lose because he was ready to nuke New York to repel alien invaders?

So many questions.

2012. That wouldn't be the president's call. The World Security Council made that call and they wouldn't answer to him, he probably answers to them (when they still existed). But the president's lackluster response to that situation could still cost him reelection.

Shredderi

Still have one episode left to watch, but my opinion is that it started really strong and stylish. But then they killed off Cottonmouth and brought in Diamondback. Diamondback is such a lame villain compared to cottonmouth. Really disappointing. Shades ended up being a better villain than I expected.

wildfire

Banned
Last episode deserves to be an entire episode of CringeCompliation. That suit, fight, and comments during fight were so awful. Like, where is their budget?!

Even though I loved the first 8 episodes there were so many little things that tingled my low budget senses.

They did a lot to reduce the amount of on screen police officers at the station. Cottonmouth's and Diamondback's empires were lacking in employees.

Having that lady from the wire cameo to be replaced for an inferior actress when the NYPD sacked her as police chief really felt like they couldn't afford her so they reversed the roles.

Breads

Banned
Still watching. I'm here because I already had parts of it spoiled to me anyway like Cottonmouth dying.

Love the show so far. Almost done. A few gripes though.

The boiling acid being a bit too much and my disapointment that Misty Knight doesn't actually have a postcognition stand that works with photographs. Cottonmouth was great and by now, half way through episode 10, I was loving Diamondback until I saw the "powerfist/ I AM LUKE CAGE" scene which felt lazy/ contrived.

Shredderi

Finished the last episode. Started off strong but went pretty lukewarm towards the end. The whole mood just sort of changed after Cottonmouth died. The quality of dialogue also seeme to be getting worse. Overall I give it 7/10.

foxdvd

I had a problem with the shotgun blast doing as much damage as it did. The shotgun blast itself will hit you with the same force it pushes the person shooting. Of course that force is focused on the small pellets, but the amount of damage Luke takes and receives in the show far exceeds the force of a shotgun blast. When he is hit in the head in the final episode..and shoved into a car with enough force to smash that car,...that FAR exceeds the force the shotgun blast would have on his head....

LOVED the show. Mike Colter is so perfect in this role. I did feel that they stretched it at the end. This could have been done in 10 episodes..

I would rank the Marvel Universe on Netflix now as

Daredevil season 1
Luke Cage
Jessica Jones
Daredevil season 2.

This was the most annoying thing ever. People making phone calls from the home screen too

RIP Tone. The only guy who actually made a phone call. (when he gets the call that the gun deal went south)

Ozone

So glad I wasn't the only person who noticed that. Was very glaring to me every time it happened.

Eidan

I don't understand how any rational human being can say they don't love Diamondback. The guy is gold. Solid gold. The Shogun of Harlem. I loved every scene the guy was in.

Netflix Marvel makes villainy look so easy that it makes me that much more frustrated with what the films are offering. Outside of Loki and Zemo, all of them have been underwhelming.

I don't understand how any rational human being can say they don't love Diamondback. The guy is gold. Solid gold. The Shogun of Harlem. I loved every scene the guy was in.

Netflix Marvel makes villainy look so easy that it makes me that much more frustrated with what the films are offering. Outside of Loki and Zemo, all of them have been underwhelming.

Even Shades was pretty good.

Shades is easily the best written character in this show. Such a great job put in from that actor, too.
Agreed. Shades is the best. I never root for villains, but he had me going.

While the dialogue was wonky and the action boring, the story was solid and the acting great. I really enjoyed it, though I'd say it was one of the weaker MCU Netflix seasons.

Top Bottom